Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I loved this game at the start but the deeper I got into the story I started to fall a little out of love with it, not that it's ruined the experience for me but the mechanics and minigames and that sort of thing keep coming throughout the entire game and some are worse/more annoying than others. I really enjoy the loop of catching fish and selling sushi to make money which allows me to buy better equipment to dive deeper to catch better fish to sell for more money, etc and every time the game forced me out of that loop I got kinda irked. There's some frustrating design choices like having to swim around the sea people village OR pay Bei to ride the manatee thing, the annoying forced stealth section that you have to go on immediately after getting on the boat with no way to quit/save until you've finished the whole section or having some quests force you to come back to the boat after finishing them with no way to know beforehand that it's about to happen. I am in chapter 6 now and I think pretty close to finishing the story and it sounds like there may be some postgame stuff that is more open ended so I'm looking forward to that.

Fun game but I think the story overstays its welcome a bit and at this point I'm ready to wrap it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The net gun is a good option for the same reason, and both the net gun and the sleep dart can be upgraded to let you net/sleep larger things like sharks and tuna. The real GOAT however is the red squeaky hammer because you just need to swim up to something and mash melee until it falls asleep then scoop it up. And it works with anything (except for boss-rear end bosses)

Edit: Very late game spoilers: I just finished the section where you have to control Dave and Suwam at the same time and thought that was actually a pretty well done section. Some of this stuff lands but running from the pirates as Dr Bacon or swimming through the tunnel with the Beluga kinda sucks. The stealth section was meh too but laughed at the MGS references. At least they're all over pretty quickly.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 11, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, I just crafted the fully upgraded tranq dart and it is very much worth going for. Fish fall asleep immediately after getting hit and you can put sharks to sleep with two darts.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah the game's messaging is a bit muddled when you're fighting the bad guys who are I guess using the sea creatures to do.. bad things.. but I'm going around shooting every living creature I find including prehistoric dinosaur fish for monetary gain.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

McCoy Pauley posted:

There's no way to save in between those scenes where you have access to your phone is there? I really like the gameplay loop but sometimes I'm just.planning for a quick dive or bout of restaurant management and don't really want to play a rhythm game in some nerd's dream.

No, there's not, and there will be other times where that happens too. I think it auto saves so technically you might be able to bail out and come back at that point but I've never tested it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Away all Goats posted:

Is that how it works? Maybe you can explain what the 3 dots that appear above the fish when you tranq them means ?

Means they have been tranq'd but haven't fallen asleep yet. Usually takes a few seconds but bigger fish can't be put to sleep without the last dart gun upgrade, so if you're shooting a shark or big fish with it they'll get the three dots and they're slow but won't fall asleep.

Also you'll get another chance for those bosses. Next time it rains they'll tell you about it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Away all Goats posted:

Ohhhh. I thought you guys were referring to the Hush Dart that does 0 damage. Turns out it's impossible to actually sleep any of the sharks with that.

For pure damage though I rocked with the multi-shot weapon that fires 3-4 for most of the game and had zero issues with combat until the Great White battle.

I was talking about the hush dart, there is a final upgrade for it that is not unlocked until the last tier of upgrades are available that can put sharks and other large fish to sleep with two darts. Before you get to that point it only slows down sharks.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You're probably right but I decided to invest my resources into upgrading one killin' gun and one sleepin' gun and switched when necessary. Nice thing about the dart is it's a guaranteed sleep in one hit on fish so it's really good for scooping up lots of 3* fish without running the risk of killing them with the tranq rifle (which I think still does some damage, right?).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Finished this tonight, while I don't think everything lands every time I gotta respect them going for it and constantly changing things up throughout the whole game down to the last boss fight. Game's got heart and the credits sequence made me smile. Probably not going to come back to get that last Foodsta rank but I really enjoyed this one in the end.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

McCoy Pauley posted:

Is there some point with the fish farm where it will become apparent to me that it's better to send fish from there directly to the restaurant rather than fish for them myself? So far it seems like there aren't that many fish in each of my different areas and I'm not sure if I want to have stock at a certain level before I start selling it, or should I feel free just to sell whatever is there and count on getting more fish eggs while I'm out diving.

You'll pretty much always be getting new fish and eggs as long as you're making efforts to tranq or net most fish, so I just made sure I had at least two fish of each type so they'll reproduce then send the rest to the restaurant for dishes/enhancing. I never really thought about specifically trying to grow the fish farm but almost always had poo poo tons of fish in there for the restaurant every day.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks. So as long as I leave two of each fish in the farm, I'm clear to send the rest to the restaurant?

And if I have only one fish in the farm, it's a sign I need to go tranq/net at least one more of the fish?

Pretty much, yeah, obviously more than 2 means they'll reproduce faster but if you want them to passively make new fish you need to keep at least two. I always keep the highest rank possible, 2 3*'s or 1 2* and 1 3*. Not sure if that matters but I tried to keep two of the best ones in the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deki posted:

I just Rescued the Beluga

How much longer is left in the main game? I'm feeling like I'm in the home stretch despite still unlocking new stuff regularly.

You're almost done, a couple hours at most. I unlocked cocktails for the sushi bar literally the night before the last dive so you'll continue to unlock stuff right up to the end of the story.