Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

what do little people actors think about this heightwashing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They should do a Willy Wonka prequel and have it focus on Willy Wonka enslaving the Oompla Loompa's and making the sing and dance for his entertainment.

In the original version of the book, the oompa loopas were black pygmy tribes people from Africa. That was apparently offensive enough at the time that rohld Dahl made them orange in the next edition.

Yes folks, Dahl went WOKE

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

“In the version first published, [the Oompa-Loompas were] a tribe of 3,000 amiable black pygmies who have been imported by Mr. Willy Wonka from ‘the very deepest and darkest part of the African jungle where no white man had been before.’ Mr. Wonka keeps them in the factory, where they have replaced the sacked white workers. Wonka’s little slaves are delighted with their new circumstances, and particularly with their diet of chocolate. Before they lived on green caterpillars, beetles, eucalyptus leaves, ‘and the bark of the bong-bong tree.'” [from Jeremy Treglown’s Roald Dahl: A Biography]

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

eagerly awaiting Tim's post in the ripping a fat piss thread

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

Hugh Grant as a Oompa Loompa is inspired casting but I feel the scale is wrong

lmao I thought this was a joke

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I wish I would stop learning things about Roald Dahl

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

“In the version first published, [the Oompa-Loompas were] a tribe of 3,000 amiable black pygmies who have been imported by Mr. Willy Wonka from ‘the very deepest and darkest part of the African jungle where no white man had been before.’ Mr. Wonka keeps them in the factory, where they have replaced the sacked white workers. Wonka’s little slaves are delighted with their new circumstances, and particularly with their diet of chocolate. Before they lived on green caterpillars, beetles, eucalyptus leaves, ‘and the bark of the bong-bong tree.'” [from Jeremy Treglown’s Roald Dahl: A Biography]

Thank God Maggie sorted that all out.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
willy wonka? more like willy wanker if you know what i mean

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Prequel should be heart of darkness / Wonka crossover

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The time between Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was 34 years. This new movie is coming out only 18 years after Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. If this pattern continues, we can expect another movie in about 9 years, then 5, then 3. Eventually reaching a "Wonka Singularity" in which a new piece of Wonka media is released every single day.

This pattern becomes even more terrifying if we factor in Tom and Jerry: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory which came out in 2017. That's 12 years after Charlie and just 6 years ago. That means we're only 3 years from the next Wonka movie. God help us all. Or, should I say, Wonka help us all as He is our new God.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

Prequel should be heart of darkness / Wonka crossover

Seeking the deepest, darkest chocolate down the river... The Doors play....

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Thesaurus posted:

In the original version of the book, the oompa loopas were black pygmy tribes people from Africa. That was apparently offensive enough at the time that rohld Dahl made them orange in the next edition.

Yes folks, Dahl went WOKE

Better to start a chud and learn than be a chud and say, "cry more."

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Timothee Chalamet sounds like a name from the roster of Fighting Baseball for the SNES. You know the one.

SLEVE MCDICHAEL
ANATOLI SMORIN
MIKE TRUK
TIMOTHEE CHALAMET
WILLIE DUSTICE
REY MCSRIFF
BOBSON DUGNUTT

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Timothee Chalamet sounds like a name from the roster of Fighting Baseball for the SNES. You know the one.

SLEVE MCDICHAEL
ANATOLI SMORIN
MIKE TRUK
TIMOTHEE CHALAMET
WILLIE DUSTICE
REY MCSRIFF
BOBSON DUGNUTT

PEPPY GROUNDOUT

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
it looks a lot better than the last one, so maybe it'll be decent

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
You're not normal if your name is Timothee and you dont go by Tim.

You're a coddled blanketed child from a rich family.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

or worse, french.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

redshirt posted:

Seeking the deepest, darkest chocolate down the river... The Doors play....

Now imaging it as a sequel... Wonka as Colonel Kurtz clings to power. He has gone truly mad and has retreated into the bowels of his chocolate factory/candy jungle, protected by a tribe of wild oompa loopas who worship him as a god. He's begun to engage in increasingly violent and disturbing tactics against his competitors like Slugworth. Charlie Bucket slowly makes his way up the chocolate river on that psychedelic river boat and ultimately decapitates Wonka with some kind of candy machete.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

Now imaging it as a sequel... Wonka as Colonel Kurtz clings to power. He has gone truly mad and has retreated into the bowels of his chocolate factory/candy jungle, protected by a tribe of wild oompa loopas who worship him as a god. He's begun to engage in increasingly violent and disturbing tactics against his competitors like Slugworth. Charlie Bucket slowly makes his way up the chocolate river on that psychedelic river boat and ultimately decapitates Wonka with some kind of candy machete.

*Rubs milk chocolate head....

The horror......

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

wonka: [intercepted radio message] i watched a boy float along the edge of an industrial fan. that's my dream. that's my nightmare

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If someone told me this was a Fantastic Beasts side story I would not have immediately written the idea off. How would one describe as something looking magical and fantastical but in a highly negative way

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the johnny depp version was good

The only cool part of that movie was how Christopher Lee played Wonka's dentist father who forbade him from eating candy. I think more children's stories need uncomfortable Freudian conflicts.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 12, 2023

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I don’t like the Gene Wilder version where he gets all pissed off for no reason to cause drama.

I don’t like the Depp version where he acts like Michael Jackson in his love for children and childish things.

Would be funny to see Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator which would be absolutely terrible movie.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

SettingSun posted:

If someone told me this was a Fantastic Beasts side story I would not have immediately written the idea off. How would one describe as something looking magical and fantastical but in a highly negative way

We need this movie to be fantastical but grounded. Let's drain the color from everything.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

William Bear posted:

The only cool part of that movie was how Christopher Lee played Wonka's dentist father who raised him to hate candy. I think more children's stories need uncomfortable Freudian conflicts.

the scene where he tells him if he leaves that day he won't have a home t ocome home to anymore, and then he comes back to find the rowhouse literally loving sliced out and lifted from the row :lmao:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

A Fancy Hat posted:

Let's drain the color from everything.

“We need only three colors for this fantasy film: the coldest desaturated blue, wispy cloud gray, and just a dash of the drabbest desaturated yellow to contrast with the blue. Blue and yellow are complementary color harmonies, after all.”

“GENIUS! We can apply this logic to most modern movies!”

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the johnny depp version was good

Hot cocoa wasting the clout

naem
May 29, 2011

so, Jonny Depp was a lead actor movie star type known for taking quirky comedy roles in movies throughout his career already, who did a willy wonka movie late in his career, already established and successful, probably had a lot of fun doing it

partnering with Tim Burton: a visionary director with a record of great original visually creative movies he’d cast Depp in, so it made sense on several levels and produced an ok movie

Timotheyieë Chândlõmæy is apparently a vat grown genetically engineered by hollywood child actor raised to fame by decree of the lizard alien billionaire overlords who have been casting him in lots of stuff

he’s young, he’s early career, he has no comedic work that I am aware of, there is no Tim Burton guy with a creative vision behind this, and his main selling point is looking like a 14 year old girl with a mustache

ok?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

so, Jonny Depp was a lead actor movie star type known for taking quirky comedy roles in movies throughout his career already, who did a willy wonka movie late in his career, already established and successful, probably had a lot of fun doing it

partnering with Tim Burton: a visionary director with a record of great original visually creative movies he’d cast Depp in, so it made sense on several levels and produced an ok movie

Timotheyieë Chândlõmæy is apparently a vat grown genetically engineered by hollywood child actor raised to fame by decree of the lizard alien billionaire overlords who have been casting him in lots of stuff

he’s young, he’s early career, he has no comedic work that I am aware of, there is no Tim Burton guy with a creative vision behind this, and his main selling point is looking like a 14 year old girl with a mustache

ok?

"Tim Burton's Creative Vision" can be summarized by any goon. It's done.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

naem posted:

ok?

jealous much?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I said good day

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Timothee Burton

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

naem posted:

ok?

We just had a Flash movie come out starring a person who kidnapped some kids. Amie Hammer is a cannibal rapist and Hollywood kept trying to make him a thing for like half a decade.

Big Hollywood producers are desperate to create a new superstar actor and long ago decided the trick to doing this was attaching a white dude to some somewhat well-known IP and hoping for the best.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

We just had a Flash movie come out starring a person who kidnapped some kids. Amie Hammer is a cannibal rapist and Hollywood kept trying to make him a thing for like half a decade.

Big Hollywood producers are desperate to create a new superstar actor and long ago decided the trick to doing this was attaching a white dude to some somewhat well-known IP and hoping for the best.

No one has proved Arnie Hammer has eaten people.

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

"Tim Burton's Creative Vision" can be summarized by any goon. It's done.

Tim Burton’s spooky goth thing is mostly nostalgia now and Depp Wonka felt like they were out a of gas a bit,

so I’m especially confused why someone thought another Wonka made sense now without even a “Tim Burton” to style it up or a Depp to mug the camera

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i hope it's gritty and they refer to him as William Wonka

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Roald Dahl wrote a story about neighbors who make a plan to rape each other's wives and it works. They rape each other's wives.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Actual Satan posted:

Roald Dahl wrote a story about neighbors who make a plan to rape each other's wives and it works. They rape each other's wives.

they should not have done that

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Tim burton sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Bad Purchase posted:

i hope it's gritty and they refer to him as William Wonka

I hope every time they do a comedic scene they play the bwah sound effect