Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

looks bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chamalet in Jean Revoir's new black and white Euro flick "Stale bread lines"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sports Chalet was enough we don't need two of these guys running around

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
This guys face is too angular. Way too much math going on with those angles.

Fuckin math face

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

This guys face is too angular. Way too much math going on with those angles.

Fuckin math face

that's the kinda mathface the BGs spent tens of millennia breeding for buddy

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I never thought I'd say this...

Ezra Miller should have played Wonka.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

that's the kinda mathface the BGs spent tens of millennia breeding for buddy

His name is a killing word

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Chalamet Chalmetchalamet chalamememechala *blows up obelisk*

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

redshirt posted:

No one has proved Arnie Hammer has eaten people.

That’s because Armie Hammer ate the witnesses.

*taps temple*

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Timothee Chalamet looks like Pinocchio in lies of P

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

laserghost posted:

I never got the moral of the movie. So the poor kid is good because he is... poor. Thats it.

He's humble and honest and virtuous.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Wonka - Owen Wilson
Charlie - Rebel Wilson
Oompa Loompas - Jane Lynch, David Alan Grier, Eugene Levy, Gabriel Iglesias, Phil Morris, Toby Jones
Grandpa Joe - Tim Robbins
Slugworth - Sinbad

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm going to do a knock-off: Carly and the Carob Factory.

"Who can take a late autumn day
and wrap it up in wax?
Who can take the fat
and knock it down a smack?
The carob man!"

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 13, 2023

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
If any current working actor is going to play Willy Wonka, it should be Jack Black.

The Oompa Loompas can be Kyle Gass.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The problem is that they're going for an origin story.

We need an ending story.

It's like 40 years later and Wonka is like a boxer who thinks he's got one more fight left in him. Retirement just isn't working, anyway, and he wants to die like he lived: Making candy.

Harrison Ford throws on the iconic purple hat and goes to work.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I just had a few other thoughts on this trailer...

It appears to be a musical with all the dancing and fantasy scenes, and I know this sounds odd because it's not like it's a requirement for a trailer for such a film to feature them, but you'd think they'd have given us a 'taste' (heh) of something of a rip-roaring song or more than what feels like the bare trailer music we're getting.

I know we have time for more trailers between now and release, but that just feels a bit off given the presentation of this trailer.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

If any current working actor is going to play Willy Wonka, it should be Jack Black.

The Oompa Loompas can be Kyle Gass.

I was just about to suggest JB, only JB from twenty years ago, and then take away two hundred pounds. WW is supposed to be a very slight man, it's one thing Burton got right.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Les Os posted:

Wonka - Owen Wilson
Charlie - Rebel Wilson
Oompa Loompas - Jane Lynch, David Alan Grier, Eugene Levy, Gabriel Iglesias, Phil Morris, Toby Jones
Grandpa Joe - Tim Robbins
Slugworth - Sinbad

:yeah:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Trailer looks fine IMO. Why are goons going crazy about a children's movie?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It’s completely unnecessary but harmless. The perfect target to unite goonkind.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Sekenr posted:

Why are goons going crazy about a children's movie?

Your question contains the answer you seek

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
My country Tim o thee! Sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing...

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I like the trailer, and I enjoy Hugh Grant pissing off as many people as he can before he dies, too

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm just not that into candy.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Sekenr posted:

Trailer looks fine IMO. Why are goons going crazy about a children's movie?

It's garbage and if you think "it looks cool" you have the brain of a child. hope. this. helps.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!

lol

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Pontificating rear end posted:

It's garbage and if you think "it looks cool" you have the brain of a child. hope. this. helps.

I said it looks fine for what it is - a trailer for a children's movie :shrug:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Such whimsy and mirth!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
This movie looks like it will bore the poo poo out of children, annoy the poo poo out of manchildren, and anger the poo poo out of thinkpiece writers.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Wee posted:

Doesn't have any super powers either, its bullshit

Lol

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sekenr posted:

I said it looks fine for what it is - a trailer for a children's movie :shrug:

W-w-well...*angry sputtering

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

JediTalentAgent posted:

This movie looks like it will bore the poo poo out of children, annoy the poo poo out of manchildren, and anger the poo poo out of thinkpiece writers.

Yknow I think I m starting to like it!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I discovered movie is being written and directed by Paul King, and I gotta say Paddington 2 (which he also wrote and directed) slapped so I'll let the film simmer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Convex posted:

actors i would like to see playing willy wonka in a movie

sidney poitier
brian dennehey
avery brooks
jeff goldblum
danny devito
christopher walken
sean connery
the 'got a light' guy from twin peaks

Roald Dahl originally wanted Spike Milligan for the role back in '71 but that obviously didn't work out, and that would've been a much different film, lol. Apparently all six Monty Python guys were also interested in the role but the studio nixed all of them because their profiles weren't big enough at the time. John Cleese as Wonka would have been something wildly different all over again.

Speaking of profiles not fitting the film, Sammy Davis Jr was apparently super keen to play Bill the candy store owner so he could sing the 'Candy Man' song but he also got turned down, allegedly because he was too famous for such a small role and they felt that "the presence of a big star in the candy store scene would break the reality". Hmmmmm. :rolleyes:
He wasn't even that much of a fan of the song and thought it was "too saccharine" but he recorded and released it anyway and ironically it was the biggest hit of his life and the only time he ever reached #1 on the Billboard chart. He was pretty fuckin' pissed that after his decades and decades of work it was the dumb Willy Wonka song that people knew him for. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz1syhcU39U

The guy who wrote the Candy Man song for the film was also super hosed off about how it all turned out and hated the way the actor sung it. He begged the studio to let him re-do it himself but they refused.

quote:

Lyricist Anthony Newley has said in interviews that upon hearing Woods' rendition for the first time, he was appalled at the lack of commerciality in the performance – worrying that it would possibly be depriving the duo of not only a hit record, but an Oscar nomination as well.

Newley's distaste for the performance became so intense that he was willing to forego his own performance fee if he were to be allowed to re-arrange and re-record the song himself as well as pay for the session. When denied by producer David Wolper due to contractual stipulations by film composer Walter Scharf, Newley tried another tactic: lobbying to be allowed to at least re-dub his own vocal, possibly becoming the ghost voice for Woods; however, Woods's contract forbade that as well. Anthony Newley recorded his own version for MGM Records in 1971 before Sammy Davis Jr.'s hit.

Roald Dahl wrote the original script for the film but the studio went behind his back to bring in someone to "punch it up" and change it around and when the film came out Dahl hated it and completely disowned it. He was pretty much bitter about it for the rest of his life and refused to let it or Glass Elevator be adapted again during his lifetime.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Trivia: Grandpa couldn’t get out of bed because he dutch ovened the covers so severely. Everyone in the room suffocates as soon as he whooshes the blankets and fills the room with unbreathable toxic gas. The movie that we see thereafter is the DMT-saturated final 20 seconds of Charlie’s brain shutting down. This is confirmed during the Fizzy Lifting Drinks scene when the characters fart and ascend towards heaven.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Should be set in Britain so it shouldn't be "candy" anyway.

I have no feelings about this film either way. Make the great glass elevator, that book was weird as poo poo and those aliens scared the poo poo out of me as a little kid.

"Scram".

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I only remember being scared reading books twice as a little kid, both times it was Dahl - vermicious knids and the witches

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!
the 1990 witches film was hosed up

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I wonder if they'll bother to make Great Glass Elevator this time or just keep remaking the same loving story over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
he doesnt seem to have any emotion in his voice. has the guy tried acting