Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

It’s Timmy Tim time
It’s Timmy Tim time
Ayyy now jump
Ayyy now jump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ck8fv6iW3E

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Wait is this going to be a musical? That'd be pretty rad.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

R.L. Stine posted:

willy wonka? more like willy wanker if you know what i mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIC3cV9TfjE

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wee posted:

Hes a modern day Tom Hanks at best.

Tom Hanks used to piss in all of his movies.

Chalamet pisses on his predecessors' movies.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

So why is everyone upset about this movie?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I don’t think anyone is really upset about this movie in this thread, tbh. If they really are, though, lol and lmao.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
im upset by it because it's got this guy in it

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
That man is a goon. I refuse to believe otherwise.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i just heard an anguished scream

was it gene's ghost? i think it might have been

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Grey Cat posted:

So why is everyone upset about this movie?

I wrote 2 pretty well thought-out posts with a lot of jokes in them for some yall to kramer in the thread with "why goons so angry" :confused: that secretly-angry goons love to do

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I haven't read this thread I just wanted to post that I am pretty sure I watched the Johnny Depp willy wonka and I just realised I cannot remember a single bit of it. not a second

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Roblo posted:

Should be set in Britain so it shouldn't be "candy" anyway.

I have no feelings about this film either way. Make the great glass elevator, that book was weird as poo poo and those aliens scared the poo poo out of me as a little kid.

"Scram".

90 minutes of pure, vapid action as platoons of heavily-armed oompa-loompas are sent to die on a space station swarming with WETA-designed knids

like this, but its a whimsical space hotel and there's more candy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AL-kScqdr0

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Movie is gonna barely make back it’s budget at best.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Pontificating rear end posted:

I wrote 2 pretty well thought-out posts with a lot of jokes in them for some yall to kramer in the thread with "why goons so angry" :confused: that secretly-angry goons love to do

I'm definitely not angry and am definitely confused and asking in a genuine fashion. I'll watch this over avengers 69 any day honestly.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

slender man's accountant

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I wouldn't say it's infuriating so much as... depressing. It basically is just a laundry list of all the crappy big budget movie cliches at this point. You got your reboot of a once-beloved film. You got your overly shiny, floaty, fake looking CGI. You've got comedy celebrities cast so they can do their shtick whether it's remotely germane to the setting or not. You got your mealymouthed studio mandated diversity casting. It's giving heavy Lady Ghostbusters vibes.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Grey Cat posted:

I'm definitely not angry and am definitely confused and asking in a genuine fashion. I'll watch this over avengers 69 any day honestly.
I found some info about the movie that might help:

quote:

Producer Michael Siegel (who also produced the 2005 Wonka remake) was asked what kind of audience he was hoping to reach with the new Wonka movie. He responded, greedily, saying, "We're obviously hoping to reach fans of the original Willy Wonka; taking what they loved about the first film, then pissing all over it. The playful, colorful aesthetic of the original Wonka factory? Now it's all brown. Grey and brown. And yellow. All the fecal colors.

We also want an audience of gullible idiots who will throw money at anything that might give them the slightest bit of joy in their rat-in-a-maze consumerist lifestyle. We've found that dumbing down the movie also dumbs-down the audience; creating a feedback loop of lowered-expectations, lowered-IQs, and higher profits. We hope this loop accelerates until we reach a sort-of singularity, wherein entertainment is force-fed to the audience, which leads to more poo poo-production, which is then recycled back into the movies. Wherein arrays of humans are consuming and making GBS threads, consuming and making GBS threads; continuously harvested for their meager capital. Sorta like the Matrix; but with poo poo.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Cosmik Slop posted:

I wouldn't say it's infuriating so much as... depressing. It basically is just a laundry list of all the crappy big budget movie cliches at this point. You got your reboot of a once-beloved film. You got your overly shiny, floaty, fake looking CGI. You've got comedy celebrities cast so they can do their shtick whether it's remotely germane to the setting or not. You got your mealymouthed studio mandated diversity casting. It's giving heavy Lady Ghostbusters vibes.

For sure, I'm definitely tired of Hollywood type films in general these days, they're all the same reboots put through the same filter. They all come out bland. I wish we'd go back to making original properties more often, but as long as it doesn't have the same "every character is a oneliner comedian even in the face of danger" then it'll still be better than most movies lately.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Q5dSbBczE

he apologies for the above saying it (2007) was a "different time", while making this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75R1AW5YrZ4

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
there's going to be a scene in this film where he yellows/browns/blacks up

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Big yikes, ah yes comedy boiled down to, "haha trans haha black".

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

crispix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Q5dSbBczE

he apologies for the above saying it (2007) was a "different time", while making this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75R1AW5YrZ4

:yikes: :yikeseroo:

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

For a second I thought this was the guy who played the nazi spy who got his face melted in Raiders of the Lost Ark. Pretty sure he's not old enough to have done that part, though.

BeastOfTheEdelwood fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 13, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

That's quite a color palette

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

why didn't they cast chris pratt?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Bad Purchase posted:

why didn't they cast chris pratt?

It'sa me, Wonka. Wah... Hoo...

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

They shoulda cast Jeremy Allen White, he's a clone of Gene Wilder and can pull off the eerie aloofness of the character

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cosmik Slop posted:

Speaking of beloved childhood fantasy musical movies getting CGI-ed remakes/reboots, they've been trying to get Labyrinth 2 off the ground for a few years now and the latest update was that they were thinking of bringing back Bowie's goblin king Jareth via CGI

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking of beloved childhood fantasy musical movies getting CGI-ed remakes/reboots, they've been trying to get Labyrinth 2 off the ground for a few years now and the latest update was that they were thinking of bringing back Bowie's goblin king Jareth via CGI

Will they make sure to give cgi bowie a massive hog bulge?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Speaking of beloved childhood fantasy musical movies getting CGI-ed remakes/reboots…

That reminds me, I only recently found out filming is currently under way for Beetlejuice 2 (maybe it’s finished already?). Like… was anyone really clamoring for a sequel 35 years after the original?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

You Are A Elf posted:

That reminds me, I only recently found out filming is currently under way for Beetlejuice 2 (maybe it’s finished already?). Like… was anyone really clamoring for a sequel 35 years after the original? I fuckin* loved the ori

They're bringing a lot of the old cast back for that one, and Tim Burton is actually staying in his lane making that movie. It's a real sequel; I think it will be good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

You Are A Elf posted:

That reminds me, I only recently found out filming is currently under way for Beetlejuice 2 (maybe it’s finished already?). Like… was anyone really clamoring for a sequel 35 years after the original?

There's still a lot of juice left to squeeze there, there was a pretty successful Beetlejuice stage musical which opened on Broadway in 2019 and ran for over 600 shows, and in Dec 2022 they started a 26 city tour around the US which will run until June 2024: https://beetlejuicebroadway.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpPB6xEiI_s

It turns out that the music and lyrics are by Australian triple threat Eddie Perfect, lol I actually worked on a show with him back in 2003 when he was just starting out. It was a super low budget production of Bat Boy The Musical where Eddie was in the starring role and I was mostly making props out of papier mache in my loungeroom and mixing up big vats of fake blood for the gore scenes. And now twenty years later he's a world renown Tony Award nominee and I'm .... still here in the same house, posting about him on GBS :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grey Cat posted:

Will they make sure to give cgi bowie a massive hog bulge?

They're going to give him a CGI bulge that audiences couldn't even imagine before now, it's going to bulge into rooms ahead of him like the intention energy beams in Donnie Darko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQp7gw-qVK8

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

They're going to give him a CGI bulge that audiences couldn't even imagine before now, it's going to bulge into rooms ahead of him like the intention energy beams in Donnie Darko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQp7gw-qVK8

I haven't seen this movie in a hot minute. I completely forgot about that bit. All the memory slots of that movie were filled with frank.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
"Some people really like the blueberry scene." -Roald turns over in his grave.

"Here is our new vision of willy wonka." -Starts spinning faster.

"We are changing the language used in the books because it has the words "fat" and "ugly" in it and there is no gender diverse representation of oompa loompas." -Begins boring through the earth at great speed.

"Here, another willy wonka." -Is spinning so fast he is now generating the energy of the sun.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The new "It" Boy.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Timothee Chalamet looks more like a William Wonka

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Timothee Chalamet looks more like a William Wonka

A Sugar Boy

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

the 1990 witches film was hosed up

Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
That whole opening bit with the 'no, scratch that, reverse it' feels like his delivery should be more fast-talking carnival barker who is tripping over his own words and corrects himself at the end.

It comes off rehearsed rather than natural or engaging in any way. Seems like it should be manic, or amused, or shaky, or something other than what it is.