Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Capfalcon posted:

I still refuse to believe that anyone actually plays straight.

The last time I played in a campaign for longer than a one-shot was a played-straight Paranoia. It sort of fell apart as one of us reached Yellow and the other players were Orange and running out of clones, to the point it was beginning to be all anyone spent their meager (ill-gotten) reward credits on was rewriting their records for bonus lives.

It was fun but definitely showed the rules (at the time) weren't meant to supplement that playstyle, because so many things were met with the GM flipping around frantically and then going "uhhhhhhh" and having to wing it, killing a lot of momentum. Still, if anything is ever gonna lure me back to trying to run a game, it's probably Paranoia...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Capfalcon posted:

I still refuse to believe that anyone actually plays straight.

that bums me out because straight is the way i'm most interested in playing/running
straight is the most Brazil type of simulation from what i read and that's what i wanna do

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

that bums me out because straight is the way i'm most interested in playing/running
straight is the most Brazil type of simulation from what i read and that's what i wanna do

It works fine for that but the entire table has to be 100% on board with that style.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

1secondpersecond posted:

My most recent game, I had four players. With one of the blank character sheets, I included a note that the character is a humanlike android with a 300 kg steel frame and skin that passes for human unless you look real close. I gave the other 3 players Frankenstein Destroyer secret society and had the settings contain a bunch of elevators and pressure panels, and I made a lot of effort to describe the effects of the much heavier character stepping on things. Took them until 3/4 through Stealth Train, when they were all already shooting at each other, but it paid off well in ongoing carnage.

Even better: give the 3 Frankenstein Destroyers the secret mission "There's a bot on your team but we need it undamaged for now. The real danger is that there's a human on your team who will try and befriend the bot and recruit it to Corpore Metal, they're your true target."

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
I don't know you guys but has anyone used Paranoia to run a Lethal Company style campaign? Like the two games are quite similar if you think about it, from the fact that both games centered people in brightly coloured jumpsuits getting sent into increasingly dangerous missions, to most of the equipment you find in mission being useless/nonfunctional junk and of course high chance a player dying during debriefing by screwing up.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just from what I've seen of Lethal Company, I'd use Mothership maybe. What is really left of Paranoia once you take out the setting that can't be done by a different system?

I suppose a mash-up would work, maybe? The Complex is actually a colony spaceship and it survives flying around stripping resources from horrible abandoned outposts in the system. And then back on the ship, it's classic Paranoia.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yeah, having run it a couple times I'd second Mothership as a better fit for the system side.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Megazver posted:

I suppose a mash-up would work, maybe? The Complex is actually a colony spaceship and it survives flying around stripping resources from horrible abandoned outposts in the system. And then back on the ship, it's classic Paranoia.

So, the ship from Wall-e?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Humble Bundle has a big Paranoia 25th Anniversary offer right now. Looks like it's all Paranoia XP stuff.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Bucnasti posted:

Humble Bundle has a big Paranoia 25th Anniversary offer right now. Looks like it's all Paranoia XP stuff.

I will probably do this, been many years since I played Paranoia and I'd love to inflict it on people enlighten people to the glorious vision that is our friend Computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you're wondering, the bundle has every early 1980s Paranoia adventure of note in the included Flashbacks books, updated to run in the XP system.

Also I believe the 25 anniversary refers to when Mongoose acquired Paranoia, because I've got books from 1986 in my collection so the math really isn't working there....