Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
FLOOR 13 is a 1991 game by PSI software

(intro: https://i.imgur.com/INeOINi.mp4 )

Congratulations! After a long career in government Service, and your keen services to the Party, you have finally climbed to a position of Director.

The previous office holder died of an unfortunate accident, as he seemingly forgot that your offices in the 13th floor office building did not actually have balconies. Too bad for him, but now you have been appointed as the Director General of the department of Fisheries and Agriculture! What an auspicious start of the year!

Your day starts with a note from the House of Commons

But already on the second day of office, you start to recognise that there might be more to this job than meets the eye. You are seemingly required to answer to issues beyond your written job description.

... and your team seems to have expertise beyond fisheries control and agricultural subsidies...

... and you seemt o answer directly to the PM himself, who seems to have quite high expectations of success.

Perhaps this was not the best career move after all?

--------------

Mobygames has better description than I could ever write:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/6067/floor-13/ posted:

Somewhere in London is a secret organization that is based on the 13th floor of an office building. The sole purpose for this organization’s existence is to keep the current British government in power at any cost - specifically, that means helping the current Prime Minister keep ahead of his competition in the polls.

Floor 13 is a management simulation controlled by a menu-based system (similar to Darklands) and is presented in black and white for a film noir feel. Players take the role of the Director General in this secret organization, and are given a target date of 20 days to attend to their duties. During this period, performance will be evaluated based on the Prime Minister's polling results. If the PM is doing well, the agency will be expanded and will have more equipment and services available to handle the situations it will encounter later in the game. If the PM is behind, Floor 13 risks reduction in the number of services it has available or even the player's continued employment. After each successful 20 day period, another 20 days are added to the calendar, full of new problems and objectives.

During the time between target dates, players will have to deal with various problems, both externally and internally. Some examples include: saving the son of the U.S. President from terrorists, breaking up a drug ring controlled by a VIP recently honored by the Queen, or even prevent a scientist in the British space agency from publicly stating that their latest achievement has been a total sham (shades of the film "Capricorn One"). While you are completing these tasks there is another secret society that will pressure you to have its goals completed, and this may very well interfere with the missions officially assigned to Floor 13.

The Floor 13 organization is not a benevolent one and players will need to do some rather unpleasant things to ensure that the democratic machine runs smoothly. Examples of activities include: searching and looting people’s homes, calling in commando units for heavy assault purposes, wire-tapping and trailing people without bothering to go through legal channels, discrediting notable people through the media and infiltrating established organizations. At times, you might even need to detain citizens and torture them (the torture bits can get rather graphic at times, though it's doled out through a text report), or even assassinate troublesome proles (one of the few political policy games, along with Shadow President and CyberJudas, to allow for such an activity). However if players become too eager at performing these "black hat" activities, they may draw too much attention to the agency and may summon the attention of a certain "Mr. Garcia" (who is good at helping noisy Director Generals fly through office windows).

In practice, the player takes the role of the director general of an obscure UK government executive agency ("Department of Fisheries and Agriculture"), after the previous directors unexpected defenestration. The real role of this position is to act as an unofficial secret service directly behind the current party in power.

The main goal is to stay DG as long as possible (preferably alive), which translates to keeping this guy

happy with your performance. This is surprisingly tricky business as it seems that every day there is another crisis brewing, threatening the poll lead of the Party. At the same time, even though you have a selection of covert methods in your disposal, using them too overtly might lead to a Russian resignation administered by certain Mr. Carlos.

As long as the Party stays in power, and you do not attract too much attention, all is good.

There is of course, additional complications.

Like any proper servant of the Crown, you are also a member of a secret society, namely City of London Corporation Templars Scottish Presbyterians Order of the Thoth, who can give you additional requests and missions to fulfil.

Your resources are limited, and information is often very difficult to obtain. Any use of more direct actions should be considered carefully. But one needs to be decisive, otherwise the THEY might win!

----

In practice, the game consists of you, as the new DG, coming to work every morning, reading some reports and assigning your teams to do actions to individuals or groups. All this is glorious grayscale:

The timeframe is always a day, and some actions take longer than others to fulfil. The game consists of limited number of plots, usually around a week long, and every 20 days the PM checks the polls, and he is better see improvement there! Use of too overt methods can lead to immediate talk down though, and then it is good to keep low profile to avoid accidents.

I am planning to keep a daily routine with this if possible, so I ask for action suggestions daily, and wait for 1-2 days for a winner present itself. Sometimes the actions require more details, so I will ask those separately. I am in no way an expert in this game, we will explore it together.

As the first step: What should our director be called? Should we have "traditional" or "modern" office decoration (these have no impact on the game itself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

We need a proper British state terror name like Archibald Sphincter-Stirling Von Breslau or something.

And while we are nothing but traditional, the original chambers of the service of the stole are in refection and so we hang out in a fairly modern place.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Now this is a game where I have a lot of fondness memories playing. I spent a lot of time on this game as a kid but never completed it. I miss my Atari ST from time to time.

Let's go with traditional decorations. Do we go for a real name or a code name? Brighton Early for a real name. I was thinking about suggesting Ronald Pakula but I didn't know whether to go for a pun or an obscure reference.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Letmebefrank posted:

... and your team seems to have expertise beyond fisheries control and agricultural subsidies...

I hope there are opportunities to actually use the assassins and heavy assault teams in response to fishing-related events. Fishing without a license? You get hunted down by an attack helicopter and ninja assassins.

Letmebefrank posted:

As the first step: What should our director be called? Should we have "traditional" or "modern" office decoration (these have no impact on the game itself)

I am distinctly terrible at naming, so rather than suggesting something like Director Shady McDealings, I'm just going to vote for Traditional decorations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Sterling Malory Archer finally got kicked out of the nest and has to fly on his own.

He, of course, wants a modern office, just stick it to his old boss.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

You already posted Sir Humphrey in the intro; obviously we are Jim Hacker, God help us.

And our decor is Traditional because the UK government is terrified of change.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I remember playing this game and never being able to beat it. Some of the required steps to solve crises are highly unintuitive.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh man, I played this game way back!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I remember finding this on a random CD-R ages ago, but I never figured out how to actually progress. I'd always end up doing my best flightless bird impression. Love to see how this game is actually played!

Oh, and

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Let's go with traditional decorations. Do we go for a real name or a code name? Brighton Early for a real name.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Given the high probability of a career change into flying and the fact that were British, I would suggest we be called Douglas Bader.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
If our subject is a "keen cyclist" does that mean we have the option of arranging a tragic cycling accident? Or perhaps Mr Lewis will join our predecessor in roads repair.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
In preparation for the actual game, here are the basic tools we have in our disposal. I have grouped them according to the level of heat/attention they seem to receive.

Light tools

These are tools which hardly never lead to any direct confrontations, but are also more limited in effectiveness:

Surveillance : old school illegal wiretap (or sometimes also a bug). Can bring sometimes key information, but due to 90s technology, the caller is hardly ever directly identified. Limited by the number of teams available, and one must remember to cancel the wiretap to release them to the pool. Starts reporting on the next day. This is an on/off service (i.e. the choice is just to send a team or not).

Pursuit: Couple of guys in trench coats shadowing the target. Normally only give general information on the locations they visit - the team will not themselves do anything active. As with Surveilance, limited number of teams, and one must remember to cancel the activity manually. Starts reporting on the next day. This is an on/off service (i.e. the choice is just to send a team or not)

Dis-information: Targets either individuals or groups, by bribing your local Daily Telegraph hack respectable journalist to publish alternative news about the target. Limited by a slush fund available (not sure how much each use takes - for individuals this seems to be around 20k), and multiple uses on one target do nothing. Usually a good way to increase Party popularity if done to dissidents Other party supporters. This is an single use service (i.e. the choice is just do a campaign), but is effective on the next day.

Infiltration. Somehow you have about 100 people ready to act as infiltrators to Groups (only). Limited infiltration can provide information (?), but if one breaks through to the Core of the group, the whole group can neutralised. Not sure how these guys return to the pool though - I have not found a way to do that yet. When used, the choices are usually so send 1, 25%, 50% or 100% of your available infiltrators. Some of them might be rejected by the group - especially if a strong group. Can take a while, but starts immediately.

Light/ heavy tool

Search
Discreet - Send a couple of guys with lock picks and good gloves to take a look in the home or other location. Take literally only take a look, they will not remove anything and leave everything as-is. Normally very light tool as the target(s) usually are completely unaware. Does miss things, and you do not get any of the objects found (only reports of them). Usually takes 2-3 days to organise. Limited by number of teams.
Ransack - As above, but open everything, break the mirrors, empty cupboards on the floor, shred the pillowcases. Takes all items found. Attracts heat and attention, especially if done to high-ranking people (directors, judges, etc), so should be used cautiously. Usually takes 2-3 days to organise. Limited by number of teams.

Heavy tools

These WILL attract attention every time used. Particularly towards VIPs. Even the MI-5 will notice if you start to assassinate opposition MPs, or do armed assaults on Harrods during rush hour.

Interrogation Good old pick-up and couple-of-friendly-questions. Can lead to a lot of attention if done for a wrong person, but sometimes the only way to get information. Can take a few days to happen, and is limited by the number of Cells available. Always starts at Level 0 (below), and level of questioning can be changed daily.
Level 0 - Nice and friendly chat with biscuits. Leaves the subject in good condition
Level 1 - Nice and friendly chat with beating. Reduces the health, but slowly
Level 2 - Standard operations according to BS specification E507-N. Good way to get info quickly, but subjects do not seem to stand more than a day…
Dispose the subject - Well..
(note that there is no real way to let them go…)

Removal Arrange an accident. Not always successful and sometimes very visible - leading to a lot of heat. When ordered, one needs to specify timing (immediate, no of days), and even in immediate case will take a few days to happen. Limited by number of assassins available.

Heavy Assault Targets a place, and consists of a team of chaps in balaclavas armed with assault rifles. For US readers, this is not a normal occurance in central London, and can attract some attention from onlookers.. and police .. and press.. and the PM. But will get the thing done. Requires exact timing (time, hour and even 15 minute increments!)

More later today.. (it also seems that we are limited to 11 characters in name, so I need to adjust the suggestions a little)

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
A shortlist for future reference:
  • Surveillance
  • Pursuit
  • Search (Discreet/Ransack)
  • Interrogation (pickup, change level)
  • Removals (timing)
  • Heavy Assault (timing)
  • Infiltration (no of agents)
  • Dis-information

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
11 characters you say... Arthur King? Horace Cope? They sound somewhat British. I was going to go somewhere else with Arthur but I didn't want to lower the tone.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Ken Niving?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh, this is good.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Can the lighter tools like Surveillance and Pursuit still end poorly and get you dinged with bad press? And how are these results adjudicated? Is there a set result for each event(like a given journalist will always get dunked on by disinformation, while a specific shadow minister won't, etc.), or is there a random dice roll hidden somewhere to determine how things go?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Jesus Christ lol

Also in honor of the most quintessentially British character I've ever seen, let's name our protagonist Basil Fawlty

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I would like to suggest Phillip Duffy, formerly director general of growth and productivity at the treasury and newly appointed executive of the euphemistically titled "Environment Agency".

A man you can trust:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Archie Butt fits perfectly, he also has the perfect cover story of having died almost 80 years ago. Wait no, he's an American, how can he have such a perfectly British name?

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Ed Balls

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh wow, an LP of this? I genuinely love Floor 13; it's a pretty flawed game but I love the theme of just having to be a cold, impersonal burecrat who can only act on the limited information coming through your desk.

PurpleXVI posted:

Can the lighter tools like Surveillance and Pursuit still end poorly and get you dinged with bad press? And how are these results adjudicated? Is there a set result for each event(like a given journalist will always get dunked on by disinformation, while a specific shadow minister won't, etc.), or is there a random dice roll hidden somewhere to determine how things go?

From what I've played, Surveillance and Pursuit never go wrong, you're just severely limited on teams. There's frequently lots of promising targets and you really have to choose wisely.

Actually in general things tend to succeed as long as you're doing them at the right place and time. The only things I'm unsure on are Interrogation and Infiltration, those both might be slightly RNG.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Years of good service for the Party has finally got you a position worthy of your degree. DG of the Department of FIsheries and Agriculture! Oddly enough, the building you entered to take your position does not even have 13th floor, but the man downstairs just winked, and told to get on the elevator.

Upstairs, you were welcomed by a secretary looked like she had seen it all, and with fake cheerness in her voice welcomed you to your new position. Your name had already been put on the door, and any signs of the previous DG have been cleaned up. Inside and on the pavement, that is. Unfortunate accident, but you you can reap the benefits!

She also asked if you prefer whiskey or brandy. You declined - it is 9am and this is a serious government position! Hardly the time and place, and you have never been a drinking man - perhaps a glass of port when a day has been long. By long, I mean more than lunch-time.

The day started with a small letter from the House of Commons, and a note that the PM wants to meet you - you are clearly an important person now. So you decided to do a small tour of the departments, meet the chiefs and show their new master.

After that, it was already to go to the club for lunch, and you took a quick check on the polls, the Party is not doing terribly well these times.. It is time something is done to fix that!

Usually, you would go straight to the golf course after such a day, but PM is waiting in the 10, so it is time to visit him.

... that was upsetting. I was ... appalled by the language PM was using. A fellow Oxfordian! It must be from his times with the colonials in California that he learned such language. The party is in dire situation, with 6 failed fill-in elections, and General Election coming in a year or so. Next one is in 20 days, and winning all of them is critical for the continuation of our positions, erhm... I mean ... the good governance of the realm!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbJfRe6iGlo

So, I returned to work after taking a day to recover, on the 3rd

You start with a good cup of tea and biscuits and go over the reports. One caught immediately your eye:

It seems that one of our old friends, Mr Ludo Brandt - connected to terrorism activities in Germany, has been interested on some documents which might, if leaked, look bad in the press. Or let the Russians access to Trident, or whatever. Important anyhow to keep a lid on this asap. You assigned this case the Rainbow code BLACK LEMON, and Brandt the code INDIGO PARROT, while contemplating what to do..

The secretary dropped you the morning's papers, and there was something very interesting in the Times:

... Hamilton you say? That name rings a bell. A bell to the information department that is, who bring you in a minute a dossier to confirm that this can be serious:

Those bloody do-gooders - Nuclear Disarmament? Without nukes, the UK could not have any protection from the Poles, say enough of the French! That stupidity needs to end soon!

This case will be recorded as TEAL DEVIL, Hamilton as CYAN PORRIDGE and the Campaign (a clear Russian front! and not even Our Russians!) MAGENTA SAND.

Those were the reports today, what should we do?

----------
VOTE BELOW:

Operation BLACK LEMON:

What should we do for INDIGO PARROT?
- Surveillance (3)
- Pursuit (4)
- Search (Discreet/Ransack) (3)
- Interrogation (pickup, change level) (2)
- Removals (timing) (2)
- Heavy Assault (timing) (2)
--Dis-information (100k)

Operation TEAL DEVIL

What should we do with CYAN PORRIDGE? (note that some of these might not make much sense for a dead person)

- Surveillance (3)
- Pursuit (4)
- Search (Discreet/Ransack) (3)
- Interrogation (pickup, change level) (2)
- Removals (timing) (2)
- Heavy Assault (timing) (2)
--Dis-information (100k)

and with the dirty peacenicks at MAGENTA SAND

- Infiltration (1/10/50/100 out of 100 agents)
- Dis-information (100k)

----

You lean back an think.. What would Rishi do (WWRD)?

(Vote open for 48 hours, or when I get back to it, please note that some of these might require more information as indicated in previous posts).

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

1. Surveillance, pursuit and a discreet search
2. Infiltrate the organisation with 10 agents, the cadaver is unlikely to yield anything.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Black Lemon
Agree that surveillance, pursuit, and search of our likely enemy agent sounds good.

Teal Devil
Obviously our journalist friends need to kindly explain to readers that Magenta Sand was responsible for Cyan Porridge's death. Or maybe Cyan Porridge took too much of the Devil's weed; I hear Reefer Madness is an excellent documentary on the subject and it would handily explain his outrageous views on our rights to national self-defense. Magenta Sand itself absolutely does warrant 10 newly interested applicants to get involved at just the right time to help with the press impact of the slander.*

* if it's unclear, this means disinfo on Teal Devil and infiltrate 10 agents on Magenta Sand

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 18, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

By popular demand posted:

2. Infiltrate the organisation with 10 agents, the cadaver is unlikely to yield anything.

As funny as it might be to just rush them with a heavy assault squad, this seems to be the reasonable solution.

...though I do also want to rush them with a heavy assault squad.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Interrogate INDIGO PARROT ASAP. This guy has terrorist connections, nobody's gonna miss him. We can't risk the report leaking, we need to act decisively.

Ransack CYAN PORRIDGE's place. He's dead anyway, who cares if we make a mess? There might be clues in there. Leave MAGENTA SANDS alone for the time being. We have limited resources.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

By popular demand posted:

This. For now we have teams to spare and not too many spinning plates we need to keep up so we can put a lot of teams on INDIGO PARROT.

As for CYAN PORRIDGE he died half a world away without any obvious connection to ourselves. (Doesn’t mean there isn’t one, just that it isn’t obvious). Worst thing we can do is go in hard, get tangled up in the mess and people start thinking we did it.

I don’t expect much from infiltrating MAGENTA SANDS, I might’ve gone for a punt on just 1 agent but if everyone else says 10 let’s go 10.

Tevery Best posted:

Interrogate INDIGO PARROT ASAP. This guy has terrorist connections, nobody's gonna miss him. We can't risk the report leaking, we need to act decisively.

INDIGO PARROT sold documents to Ludo Brandt apparently without knowing or understanding what they were. So Indigo Parrot isn’t some terrorist warlord they’re likely some bureaucrat or embassy staff. Grabbing them has the potential to get messy if we don’t have sufficient proof of what they did, it gives advance warning to targets we haven’t yet identified and the only thing we’d really get out of it is knowing exactly what document was taken.

Surveilling them gives us a chance to identify more important players, such as Ludo Brandt himself if he has any future dealings with this source. And we can always escalate later if we need to.

Elite fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 18, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

BLACK LEMON: Pursuit, surveillance, and a discreet search of INDIGO PARROT seems prudent. With the next cycle only 18 days away, anything more severe showing up in the papers would be catastrophic, now wouldn't it?

TEAL DEVIL: Agree with the ransack search of CYAN PORRIDGE's residence. Dead men tell no tales, but their belongings surely do! Hopefully the coppers have gone and done their work already and shan't be bothering us too much.

MAGENTA SAND: Although I find their politics appalling, we should hold our agents for more active threats to our departm... to the people of our great nation of course. Quite right. Send one of our agents -- no one too green, mind you -- just to get the lay of the land, or should I say, the lay of the sand. Yes, jolly good.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Taking the chance while we have it to ensure that a dead man of questionable connections and ideas is not able to be raised up as a martyr, rightly or wrongly, without a healthy competing viewpoint on how he came to kill himself, is hardly going to implicate the Party more than the man dying inside the British embassy already does. We need to get on top of the news game and make sure our lies truths spread around the world before theirs get their shoes on.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Taking the chance while we have it to ensure that a dead man of questionable connections and ideas is not able to be raised up as a martyr, rightly or wrongly, without a healthy competing viewpoint on how he came to kill himself, is hardly going to implicate the Party more than the man dying inside the British embassy already does. We need to get on top of the news game and make sure our lies truths spread around the world before theirs get their shoes on.

He was found dead in his hotel room. The British Embassy are just the ones relaying the news to us.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Elite posted:

INDIGO PARROT sold documents to Ludo Brandt apparently without knowing or understanding what they were. So Indigo Parrot isn’t some terrorist warlord they’re likely some bureaucrat or embassy staff. Grabbing them has the potential to get messy if we don’t have sufficient proof of what they did, it gives advance warning to targets we haven’t yet identified and the only thing we’d really get out of it is knowing exactly what document was taken.

That's not what OP says.

Letmebefrank posted:

You assigned this case the Rainbow code BLACK LEMON, and Brandt the code INDIGO PARROT, while contemplating what to do..

Indigo Parrot IS Ludo Brandt.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Elite posted:

He was found dead in his hotel room. The British Embassy are just the ones relaying the news to us.

Fair enough, but why would the Embassy bother telling us about this gent's suicide specifically if the Party were not somehow either genuinely or forcibly embroiled in whatever lead to his death? Surely the Embassy has greater discretionary capacity than that of any trite memorialist when it comes to sending reports to our office about expatriates who've killed themselves in one stupid way or another. We can't be sure of exactly why this happened, and should this not be as straightforward as it looks any evidence of such may already be gone, but we can at least get ahead of whatever our enemies will have to say about the matter.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Remember, we can always do nothing, too. We might want to see how a situation develops sometimes (as below).

With that in mind:

BLACK LEMON

Apply Surveillance and Pursuit to Mr. Brandt. A discreet Search seems advisable as well.

TEAL DEVIL

Take no action on the campaigners. Ransack Mr. Hamilton's lodgings.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
After a while of thinking, you come to conclusion what should be done:

INDIGO PARROT
This man needs to be approached carefully, this is your first week after all. What do we know of his next steps? A quick call to relevant departments arranges:

phone taps

pursuit group and

a cursory search of his apartment. It seems that it takes 2 days to prepare such event... Perhaps I should take this into consideration in the next review discussions..

Yes, that will do for now.

Operation TEAL DEVIL

Here, it is obvious that dead men are not talking on the phone, but perhaps it is worth to make sure he did not leave anything critical in his home. A squad is ordered to check CYAN PORRIDGEs flat asap:

For the MAGENTA SAND... it is unclear if they have anything to do with anything here. Perhaps it is prudent to make a minor attempt to see things from inside. Relevant order is typed by the Secretary and signed by you.

Well, that was a full day's work. Perhaps there is still that good pot roast in the club?

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
On the next day, only a minor report:

All 10 agents are in. Perhaps something comes out of it? Anyhow, it is time for a round of golf..

5th of January

A lot more seems to happen. First some reports from our teams.

INDIGO PARROT

He seems to leave for evening to somewhere.. but the pursuit report is not yet in your desk (!)

Search brings something important... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_Point_C_nuclear_power_station... This might be serious!

CYAN PORRIDGE

Search party found something interesting. Very interesting..

Also, the news start to pick up additional connections.

He is assigned the code word SCARLET BOY. Probably nobody, but one never knows?

Also, a member of this organisation with somewhat suspicious power, but very much within Party values. Perhaps worth a look? (codeword BLACK SLAB)

-----------
What should we do next with the (Vote below)

Persons:

INDIGO PARROT? The surveillance and pursuit teams stay there.

CYAN PORRIDGE no teams are on him at the moment

SCARLET BOY no teams are on him at the moment

Available teams:

Groups:

BLACK SLAB)

MAGENTA SAND (we have 10 infiltrators at the moment)

Available teams:

--------------------

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I'm surprised, I'd have thought that, should this unofficially have been a murder, whoever did kill Cyan Porridge would have already removed whatever he had that was valuable enough to kill for. Good foresight to call for ransacking his place. I'm much less surprised that his friend Scarlet Boy has popped up to cause trouble, goodness knows what he'd have come up with if the material we found was available to him. Could we perhaps consider ensuring the public knows of his indiscretions so that they don't encourage him to try to do our jobs for us and make us look bad? (SCARLET BOY DISINFO) Or we could push back on his narrative that the deceased would never have killed himself, if we're willing to bet that just because the Internet and cable news haven't come to pass that the ship's still in the harbor so to speak (or both!)

Black Slab seems unlikely to have anything of interest at this point. It's good to know of them per their connection to Scarlet Boy, but the only plausible motive I can think of to infiltrate them is as a means to further stifle Scarlet Boy from acting. Seems better to wait and see here.

Our Indigo Parrot comes bearing fruit aplenty, on the other hand. The presence of the nuclear station document detailing weaknesses is no trifle, there is no reason a simple civilian should be attempting to make something like that and as such it makes no sense to let him walk free in spite of whether we learn everything else from the pursuit report or not. Even if he has nothing else to tell us besides who he's been meeting and we do not have to remove him from the general populace in order to thwart the terrorist plot he's been assisting, there's no telling who else he might work with instead once the heat dies down, or where else he might go. Furthermore, there is all the chance in the world he may have been shopping his wares around to multiple parties at times prior to his catching our eye, and we won't get our shot at that type of information without chatting him up anyway. INTERROGATE INDIGO PARROT

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

(SCARLET BOY DISINFO)

This seems like a good play, but-

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

INTERROGATE INDIGO PARROT

-yanking him off the streets might interrupt the pursuit team's work. I say we wait and watch, see who he's meeting with, maybe they'll be more interesting to pull off the streets.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

wait for the pursuit team report on parrot and then interrogate him

If we can get a name on who he's been talking to from the pursuit team, that's gonna be a lot faster than having to wait again on the interrogation if we jump to ordering it right away. But given his history and what he's got, we can't leave him on the street.

We still don't know who whacked Cyan porridge. I'd suggest a discreet search and tap on Scarlet Boy. If it wasn't our predecessor that ordered the hit, leaving scarlet boy in play could be a source of info on who did. Either way, with what we found something is afoot. I don't think scarlet boy is directly involved because it wouldn't make sense for him to be drawing attention to the affair otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

INDIGO PARROT: My word, can you imagine? A nuclear facility? I'd like to give this parrot a cracker myself, and I don't mean a saltine. Alas, it seems like the most prudent course of action is to wait for our teams' reports. Leave it be for now.

CYAN PORRIDGE: Well this Project: Stone Fish business sounds quite serious. And we can't have the papers going on about a homicide, or a cover-up. A bit of dis-information should do the trick. Nothing else for it at the moment, but we will need to connect the dots to another with knowledge...

SCARLET BOY: ...but I doubt we'll find it here. This chap merely seems distraught about his friend's passing. Still, the name Clinton... seems shifty to me. Assign the individual for pursuit. Can't be too careful.

BLACK SLAB: A motorist's club? In our files? Seems innocuous enough, but maybe a good assignment for one agent to infiltrate.

MAGENTA SAND: Our current allotment of infiltrators seems appropriate to me, stand pat with ten.