Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

There are parts of this world that will be familiar, there are parts that you won't be able to comprehend, not for awhile.

There are still rich and poor. We've come to realize that the wealthy are just as foolish, or some cases more foolish than the poor. We no longer have kings but a good number of the very rich wish they were and that's very often a problem. Wars are just as cruel as in your day. We've had some in the last century of breathtaking scope that were just as violent as the Assyrian ones but on a far greater scale. Disease is better understood but in some ways your people were healthier than today. Care for women and children during childbirth is the greatest advance of the last few centuries.

This world will be easier to understand if you realize that much of the work done by slaves in your time is now done by machines, created devices built for a task. The thing you're going to have a hard time adjusting to is the speed. You could write a message on a clay tablet and it would travel at walking speed for most of it's destination and back. We can send a written of visual message to the other side of the world in a matter of seconds. You were used to goods coming from Egypt or Greece. We can send food from those places to your lands and have it delivered before it spoiled.

Proceeds to show AM around the house. We show him the bathroom, he explains that they had plumbing in Ur, just not as sophisticated as this. We show him the air conditioning, he explains the methods they had for cooling interior spaces. We show him the refrigerator, he explains how they would dig beneath houses to store food in a cool area. We turn on lights and he explains the candles they used for lighting, even demonstrating with his hands the way to protect the wick as you light it.

We turn on a TV and he stares at it dumbfounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU