Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The altars are also marked in a similar way which helps finding the trickier ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I forget, could you not use multiple of the same subjob or equip passives from an unequipped job in the first game?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Procrastine posted:

I forget, could you not use multiple of the same subjob or equip passives from an unequipped job in the first game?

There was only one subjob per job, but you could equip passives from subjobs you've already learned.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Veil of Darkness was a bread-and-butter for me, but I was running Throne nearly the entire game when I did it. It's really quite handy if you're willing to give her a little E.Atk or SP buffs or use knives that boost E.Atk, but the big reason is the debuff is an absolute game-changer in my opinion,

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i like making throné a hunter because she's a furry and i think she should get to live her dreams

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020
Negotiate Schedule is absurd in the endgame. I had several million leaves towards the end, so cost wasn't a problem. And since it's Partitio who takes the turn the boss had, this even works on multi-turn bosses, although you'll have to pay them again for each turn they get.
I'm pretty sure it works against everything in the game including the final boss.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Kinu Nishimura posted:

i like making throné a hunter because she's a furry and i think she should get to live her dreams

NGL, she looks cute as a hunter. Though I guess becoming a furry is a requisite for becoming a hunter in this region, because everyone sprouts kitty ears as hunters.

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020
I'd suggest making Temenos a Scholar, mainly because max boosted Elemental Barrage + Judgement basically wins every Coerce battle immediately and you're going to have to do a lot of those.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Oh, right, we've still got some jobs to collect.

The Harborlands

Next up, the Harborlands.

The building of Ochette's monster collection is proceeding well.

The extra power of these foes is still a bit above my punching weight, but the new jobs I'm gathering are helping even the field.

Plus it's not like I can't hit just as hard!

There's some nice shallow areas to wade across, and doing so here leads us to our next job altar.

Castti's first EX skill, Drastic Measures, deals more damage the more debuffs a foe has, but then removes them. It works well with Castti's penchant of inflicting debuffs, even if she works better as a healer. It seems to be the same in power to her Poison Axe skill, so it's pointless if there's no debuffs. As for how much damage goes up, I cannot find any info, but if I were to guess it's probably similar to the Warrior's Enervating Slash, so there's probably diminishing returns for stacking too many debuffs. Could be a potent attack in the right circumstances!

This would be a nice axe upgrade if not for the decent Accuracy penalty. If we can get around that, it can debuff P.Def as well as deal some nice damage, but since we're getting to the point where accuracy starts mattering, it's not worth dealing with right now without some good investment, though it may fit Ochette well enough.

The next guild is within the town of Conning Creek. We'll check out the town proper in the future, but for now, let's skip to the Apothecary Guild.

Yeah, seems like the perfect place for an apothecary guild, alright.

But such is your destiny, I suppose.

You've got the makings of a great apothecary in you. I'd like you to join the Apothecaries Guild. Please, lend us your strength.

Another job down!

The apothecary tasks require gathering rare ingredients, as is appropriate, and some may take a wee bit of bloodshed. Gotta spill blood to heal blood!

Now to chat on the usual.

Licenses

In this guild, we share the challenges we face when it comes to treatment. If you help us overcome these problems, I'd be happy to give you a new apothecary license. Anyone who equips the license will be able to use an apothecary's skills.

Makes sense to me!

Legendary arms

Hrmm... I've just heard some troubling news.

However, the ship carrying the tomahawk ran aground and sank. Fortunately, all the sailors aboard made it to land safely, but the cargo is still submerged.

Maybe if we could learn to swim or something, we could check that out. For now, though, not an option.

EX skills

Those are the words of a prophecy passed down in our guild. When the chosen apothecary reaches the altar, they will be granted a great power... Or so the prophecy says. I've never heard of anyone actually succeeding.

I suppose you could probably walk along the shallows of Northern Conning Creek Coast, but would that suffice...?

While we're here, might as well chat up our new guild mates.

I gotta admit, that's a hell of a way to give back to the world, using your expertise in surviving life-threatening illnesses to guide healers.

This is good life advice in general.

No? Drat. I had a remedy I was hoping to try.

I mean, give me a few drinks and we can discuss this later.

Now that we're down to our last three characters, I can better focus on leveling these latecomers up. I give Hikari Apothecary, as he loves having either that or Thief for his Challenges.

The Leaflands

Next up, the Leaflands!

This area is cool since it's during rainfall.

Do note that this deer is indeed demonic.

It's literally the same power level and ability as the Shaggy Aurochs I caught, but I have to respect a deer that's so dedicated to the dark arts. Besides, the Aurochs was delicious.

Hiding behind some growth is our next altar.

Windy Refrain is a great skill, dealing wind damage to all foes and also setting it so all party members attack before all foes in the next round (as usual, with the exception of foes recovering from Break). This is both a good AoE attack using Agnea's respectable E.Atk, and also fantastic in its role in turn manipulation, as it could really save your rear end if your foes are otherwise gonna strike early the next round. Of this base set of EX skills, this may be the most generally useful, even if several others are incredibly powerful in certain situations.

It feels like my sword options have been lacking so far, so a good upgrade that also can debuff E.Atk is very much welcome.

uhhhh, ok then

While our levels are still kinda lowish, gear generally has a much bigger effect on your party than levels, so these free upgrades are great to have.

The Dancer Guild is buried away in the city of Wellgrove, as well as a handy new bow.

Hermes was treated the same way. She came seeking my guidance, and so I gave it. And when she could dance on her own two feet, she left the nest.

If you're wondering who the hell Hermes is, we'll meet her later on in our journies.

Getting the Dancer licenses is simple compared to some other jobs. Just master the job with one or two characters, and you get one or two more licenses.

Speaking of which...

Licenses

Complete the tasks I lay before you, and I shall give you another dancer license. It is proof that you are a student of my class. Equip it if you ever wish to use a dancer's skills. The number of licenses you obtain depends solely on your devotion to the art.

Or for how many you're willing to give me.

Legendary arms

Skill is important to one's success. But so is luck.

That vest has been passed down within a reputable family in Conning Creek for generations...

Unfortunately, she has been diagnosed wtih a grave illness... I wish there were some way to help her, as luck alone will not see her well...

This is actually its own side story that we'll be tackling in the far future.

EX skills

The Shrine of Ul'sterra is famous for honoring the goddess Sealticge... But I've heard there is another altar to the Lady of Grace hidden somewhere in the Leaflands.

I searched high and low for it when I was young. I heard it could be found on the Northern Wellgrove Trail, but alas... My search was fruitless. Supposedly only the chosen dancer will be able to locate it.

Our luck must be better than expected!

Oh yeah, and since I think I forgot to mention this last time, the guildmasters of the various jobs are the same gender as the characters in OT1 who had those jobs. Kind of a neat detail.

Toto'haha

Next stop, Toto'haha!

More prey.

A double bow attack isn't too bad an option to have!

This next altar is hiding behind the background.

Indomitable Beast is simple, it just buffs Ochette's P.Atk, Evasion, and Speed for 3+2*BP turns. Straightforward, and as useful as it sounds.

Exploring a bit into Toto'haha gets enough JP to finally grab two great skills, Leghold Trap (to make a foe act last) and Peacock Strut (to buff an ally's E.Atk).

Also, some random person is here.

OK, thanks.

The Hunter Guild is just this random beastling hunter in the middle of nowhere.

This is the Hunters Guild, and I am its master. Hm? I seem too young to be a guild master?

More importantly, if you've found this place, that means you have promise. I hereby recognize you as one of us. I look forward to seeing what you can do as a hunter.

I think this hunter and Ochette are the only beastlings that have a solid grasp on human speak.

Unsurprisingly, getting more Hunter licenses requires hunting creatures.

Licenses

Those who join the guild receive a license as recognition of their membership. Equip it to gain access to a hunter's skills. If you wish to get your hands on more licenses, you must complete tasks set out by the guild.

Legendary arms

It was passed down in Timberain's royal family for generations. Only soldiers recognized by the king were permitted to use it. I myself have only laid eyes upon it once when I was young. I surmise any adept with the bow would like to give it a shot...

Timberain is the highest-tier city in the Leaflands, so it'll be awhile before we can visit there.

EX skills

Somewhere on this island is an altar dedicated to the Huntress. Legends say that when the chosen hunter visits that altar...they will be granted a special power.

It's basically in plain sight, at least to our protagonists' point of view.

There's two ways we can approach getting the last job. We could try approaching west of Ryu, or head south from Wellgrove. I opt for the latter.

I stole--er, bought these here things fair 'n' square! Touch 'em, 'n' I'll cut your hands off!

Even if this path has some rather unsavory types along the way...

Hinoeuma

The sands surrounding the town of Sai are vast, and naturally, full of fearsome foes.

Fearsome for the other foes we'll meet, of course.

For once, we'll be getting our job before the EX skill. The Warrior Guild is in the northern-most part of Sai.

But the path of a warrior is long and hard, and your journey has only just begun. Anyone who wishes to hone their swordsmanship is welcome at my dojo, regardless of their style. Let us train together, both in mind and body!

Finally, all eight jobs!

Getting the Warrior licenses is exactly the same as getting the Dancer licenses, just master the job with one or two characters.

Licenses

There are several tasks put forth for warriors in my dojo. Complete a task and you shall receive a new license. Equip it to use a warrior's skills in battle. Do not be afraid to step up to the challenge. Consider these tasks part of your training.

Legendary arms

Have you heard tell of a certain notorious double-edged sword? It is a tremendously powerful weapon, but its might comes at a cost. Some even consider it cursed.

It changed hands countless times before finally being laid to rest in a cemetary in the Crestlands. Will you find the blade and learn to wield it? Or will you leave the cursed blade where it lies?

The choice for this LP is pretty obvious!

EX skills

...Allow me to tell you a legend passed down in this dojo. In this world, there are eight altars, each dedicated to one of the eight gods.

If a chosen warrior were to find the altar, they would obtain unparalleled skill.

I kinda need to do this to finish this update off, so let's go for it!

But first, Ochette makes for a great Warrior since she's already a P.Atk-focused character.

The final altar is hidden directly south from the western exit of the Eastern Sai Sands.

This one is bog-simple, as Hikari's attacks affect all foes for 3+2*BP turns. Keep in mind that generally you don't really use attacks to actually deal damage (with some late-game exceptions), but to break shields, and in some situations this could be a great way to break said shields if you don't have any good skills to work with instead. It's situational, but sometimes hitting the entire enemy party for four polearm weaknesses is what you need to take control of a battle, and in that case this skill shines.

So you may think we're done. We've got all eight jobs, and any bonus jobs will likely be in the end-game, as in OT1 the four bonus jobs were found in late-game areas.

The Brightlands

But what if I told you that OT2 also has four bonus jobs, but they are completely different from the bonus jobs in OT1? And in fact, not only are the jobs themselves different, but the ways you get them are different?

In fact, there's one bonus job you can get as soon as you beat your main character's first chapter! You just have to travel to New Delsta, then after leaving town you head to the northeast section of the screen.

This is its own side story, which I will later give its own special update when I unlock everything it has, but for now, why not go ahead and grab it?

Don't look so surprised! My eyes see all. Now I normally don't do this, but since you've shown such an interest in my inventions, I shall explain what they do!

It is a highly advanced device capable of launching any object--of a certain size, that is! And what's more, one can decide exactly where said object will land simply by reconfiguring the firing mechanism.

Not only are they beautiful, with a quality leather finish, they are also highly functional, with spring-boosted heels. These powerful springs give their wearer a boost in speed, allowing them to move exponentially faster than the average person!

But you, my friend, are far from common. You appreciate my work! Which is why you have a responsibility--nay, a duty--to assist me.

And with that, we have our ninth job.

And before you ask, allow me to put your mind at ease: this is merely the beginning. I have countless ideas, but simply lack the materials to bring them to life!

Now off you go, my lovely assistant! Use the fruits of my labor to your heart's content!

Unlike the base jobs, you can only get one license of the four bonus jobs.

But I shan't be idle in the meantime. Bring me the materials from the lists on my display cases and I shall create things beyond your imagining!

We start off with two skills in inventor. Changeable Catapult fires a chosen weapon type at all foes. Good for weaknesses, and can also cause some good damage.

Springy Boots causes a chosen character to act first for 5+BP turns. With the proper planning and strategies, this can be handy.

Inventor is unique in many ways. First off, you cannot spend JP to learn more Inventor Skills. Instead, we have to find materials and give them to Arkar to build new inventions, which unlocks that skill for everyone.

Also, Inventor skills do not cost SP. Instead, by default you can use each skill once per combat, but can also spend a turn to "rebuild" an invention. The number of turns required to rebuild an invention depends on the invention in question, with the Catapult requiring a single turn and the Boots requiring two. All inventions are automatically rebuilt after combat ends. Thus Inventor is great for random battles, but may require some strategic use in boss battles (though they have fantastic tools for those as well, so they're still worth using).

There are five more inventions we can build, each with specific item requirements. Once those five are built, then we'll be given the final invention, which is basically the equivalent of the Inventor's "Divine Skill".

Many of these skills requires specific items found in later towns, but this one we can get right now.

I had the Unearring Erring already, but I had to hunt around to find the Critical Earring. Canalbrine luckily had what I needed.

Now then, prepare yourself! You are about to witness the birth of an invention that shall change the world!

By combining powerful lenses, I've creatured a scope that can easily take the measure of its target in great detail. Its magnificent magnification prowess also makes it possible to determine the composition and structural strength of the object in question.

And now that you've seen the master at work, you know how to craft it yourself. May it aid you on your journey!

Critical Scope targets a single foe such that all damage dealt to it becomes critical damage for 4+BP turns. I haven't messed with it much, but it certainly has its uses.

Before we finish, let's take one last look at our new toy.

One more invention, and we can also start unlocking the Inventor Support Skills! But that'll be for later.

Next time, eh, you'd figure I'd have a plan by now, but it's more I think I know what I'll do next. It'll likely be one of Throné's Chapter 2 paths, since it'll be simple and let me introduce some more things, but who knows.

Also, if you have any job suggestions for characters, let me know and I can try to implement them into the playthroughs!

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

Agnea for inventor role please! She deserves the nice hat, and her latent synergizes well with the inventions

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I think Ultimate Stance works on Hikari's learned skills, doesn't it? (IIRC distinction between character's own skills and summons matters a few times... and Ochette is at a disadvantage here since her animal friends are clearly not her own skills).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

"Becoming a warrior isn't something that just happens overnight. It takes a solid weekend of training to earn that license."
"Forget about the license! When do we get the SWORDS?!"
"Hey, HEY! I already told you, you don't get your sword until you tell me your name!"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I like to imagine people here are very cliquey with their classes. They're mean girls to anyone whose not a dancer, fighter, hunter, cleric, scholar, merchant, thief, or apothecary.

"Oh, you're a bard? What's wrong, two left feet?"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I only maintain that one of the guys becomes a Dancer just for Stimulate. :colbert:

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
Quality hats on some of those jobs - game good.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm hardline about Castti as Warrior because 1. it fits her natural stat line well and 2. she delivers some more raw loving lines in it like yelling BLOOD FOR BLOOD on Vengeful Blade

Mega64
May 23, 2008

WizardOfWhispers posted:

Quality hats on some of those jobs - game good.

The sprite designers nailed their priorities.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Kinu Nishimura posted:

I'm hardline about Castti as Warrior because 1. it fits her natural stat line well and 2. she delivers some more raw loving lines in it like yelling BLOOD FOR BLOOD on Vengeful Blade

I tried to make Hikari Paladin-esque but it really suits Castti better. I don't think I found a class she wasn't above-average at. Her natural skill set compliments everything pretty well

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The kilts on the hunters are great. Really adds to the flavor of the class

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
I say Throné should be a Merchant because turning Thieves into Merchants is funny, and Partitio should become an Apothecary because his outfit looks like a blue Alfyn from 1

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think Osvald should take on a stint as a hunter, he is absolutely rocking the shirtless wolfman look.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I always liked making Throne a dancer both because it fits her characterization where she's willing to exploit both her charm and social skills to get her way, and because Dagger Dance giving her a dagger-all attack is extremely valuable for mass breaks.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Throughout most of the mid to early game, the Inventor's catapult is a great way to sweep or heavily damage any random battle. At the very least it'll weakness-check a whole enemy group.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

bewilderment posted:

Throughout most of the mid to early game, the Inventor's catapult is a great way to sweep or heavily damage any random battle. At the very least it'll weakness-check a whole enemy group.

There's actually a fairly safe way to level up early on with the Inventor being a cornerstone to it that I devised during my second playthrough. With a bit of luck and Evasive Maneuvers you can make it to one of the final towns, and outside of it you almost always have the same battle first. The enemies in it have an absurdly low amount of shields that also share the same weaknesses so if you break them the first turn, you can knock them out one at a time. The catapult is great for starting it off.

Takes a little bit of luck early on because that's really the only time you'll care about the accuracy stat, but it's by no means tedious. Once you get some momentum you can almost autopilot it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Before we start today's update, here's the jobs I chose based on thread feedback. Most characters were simple, Throné had several votes for different jobs but Merchant worked out for her, Hikari was the last man standing to get Dancer, and since no one had suggestions for Ochette I just gave her Thief since it's a better option than the only other job left, Cleric.

Granted, we won't be seeing any actual combat today, but this'll be handy for the next few updates.

I decided to do one of Throné's Chapter 2 routes first, namely the Mother Route, as it's short, has no combat at all, and gives me a chance to do a quick dive back into stories while showing off a new mechanic.

Also, I don't have to go to a new town since this chapter takes place in Oresrush.

SILENCE

(...It's common knowledge in the nest, though no one really knows why. And it's the only clue I have.)

Oresrush, Pioneer Town

Yeah, we're not wasting time with intros today. Time to dive straight into gameplay. But first, see that top-right option?

Travel banters return from OT1, where certain party members will chat with the focus character of that chapter. There's twenty-one total per character storyline, three for each character, though with more chapters they're more spread out now. But most importantly, you can no longer miss these permanently, as at the end of each chapter all travel banters will show up in the journal, including those you may have missed.

Let's check out the first of four such banters this chapter, which explains an obvious question that's already come up before.

...If that were possible, I would have done it long ago.

But every product's got its use. Sorry, but would you mind lettin' me have a closer look?
If you're so interested, why not purchase it?

I'm scared to think what use Partitio would have for a poison collar.

Right, time to check out this saddlery.

Scheming

In the meantime, please wait at the tavern.

We have an array of goods made of cloth and leather, and even others with chains.
I'm not here for horse gear.
But, milady, this is a saddlery...
Is that so...?

You have a keen eye, milady.

I saw it with my own eyes. I would not be able to craft the proper gear otherwise.
Did he now...?

Not much luck.

(As for this "horse"... It must be what I need for the exchange. Which means that man from before has one without a doubt.)

But before we do, banter!

Noticed it, have you? It's my perfume.
It has a very bewitching scent. It suits you.
...Thank you. Would you like some?
Hehe, thanks, but I don't use perfume.

...I see. I usually don't wear perfume, either. It...complicates work sometimes.

Best of luck, Throné.

Even expert thieves need to treat themselves sometimes. It's the little things that keep you going when you're trying to murder your parents.

Right, the "horse".

(I'd better make my way back to the saddlery.)

Right, let's try this again.

SILENCE

I've brought my "horse" with me this time.

...So you have. Which means I can finally treat you like a customer.
Hmph... You sure don't make things easy for your clients.
Aye, for mine is a very exclusive business. Now, what are you after?

She's one of my best customers. Your request is beyond my power.
Well, then...

...They call him the Slaver. He runs the slave trade and is doing business in the town's old foundry right now.
I see.
To reach him, you must know these words...

...Thank you.

Lives may be lost before he is willing to talk.

So yeah, there's a slave trade happening in Oresrush. I guess that's a thing. Wonder how Partitio feels upon finding this out.

(...I'm still being followed. They've been trailing me since I arrived. I'd better get rid of them...)

Before we talk to this Slaver, time to take care of a loose end first.

(Who are you? And why are you following me?)

This poor fool is nowhere close to Throné's skills.

That face...

(Was that...my imagination? Now that it matters... I have to focus. I must find that slaver.)

But first, banter!

Oresrush, Pioneer Town

Hikari... Please don't stand behind me.
My apologies. Might I ask why?
In my line of work, we must always watch our backs. It's quite straining on the nerves.

...I see. I shall take your words to heart.
Hah. You ought to watch your back, too, Hikari.
That won't be necessary with trustworthy friends behind me.

This is probably the first time in her life that Throné's got allies she can trust. Even her closest friend tried to kill her, albeit reluctantly. I don't think she has to worry about Hikari doing so, at least.

Well, let's meet this Slaver and see if he'll lead us to Mother.

The easy part is done...

Video: The Slaver

Scheming

White, drink. Now.

Dammit! I can't believe I lost!
All right, who's next? Bring 'em in!

You're first. Choose a cup.

AHHHHHH!

No fun at all, that one. No wonder I couldn't find a buyer for him...

Well, this Slaver guy seems like an upstanding fella, what with gambling with people's lives and whatnot.

You're the Slaver, I presume?
...Aye. I'm a buyer and seller of slaves. So what sort of merchandise are you looking to buy, young lady?

Is she here or not?
You're too late. She already left.

*sniff sniff sniff*

It's the smell of shoreflowers. Do you like it?

Even the most disciplined are exposed by their own scent.

But your scent is still sweet... There's no fear in you.

I will tell you where Mother went...if you can best me.
A man after my own heart.

We will do battle...here.

We get a chance to breathe and prepare before we play.

I save my game and prepare to play.

Video: Death's Table

SILENCE

...No. I will gladly accept your challenge.

We will take turns drinking. The one who drinks the poison loses.
Are there any other rules?
If you try to run, you die. That's all there is to it.

She doesn't stand a chance.

...You may see six glasses on the table. If they go one at a time like you'd expect, then things don't look good for Throné.

Now it's your turn, young lady.

But not a merciful or swift death. No. Release will come only after what feels like an eternity of agony and excruciating pain.
That's fine with me.

Haha. Your false courage won't spare you from the pain.

...Ahh, exquisite.

This is the first time I've ever seen someone down two in a row...!

Throné's no fool. She's taken control of this game.

...Just like me.
Is that so?

And yours will reach my nose before long.

I could even accept dying here.

At this point, we must make our choice. Either the right cup...

...or the left.

Now, there's a slight tell as to which one has the poison. If we happen to choose the Left one...

Haha. I win. Farewell, Little Snake.

It'll just bring us right back to the choice.

Throné knows which cup is full of poison, likely for the same reason the Slaver knows.

Throné, the Thief

...Thanks for the drinks.

I always dodged the tainted glass, leaving it for my opponent...
Then couldn't you have won?

...You have bested me.

......!

I will tell you where Mother went...as promised...

In a place called Mother's Garden... It's officially an orphanage...and has the support of the local monastery...

You could probably...sneak in...as a nun...

I couldn't cut myself loose either...the former head wouldn't let me...
The former head?

I hope you find...what you seek...

-----

Let's go. It's time for Mother's punishment...

I feel like we've met before.

I felt like...you're someone important. That's why I followed you...

I don't know who my father is.

And so Throné finds the information she sought. Not the most enjoyable experience, but she's doing what she has to for freedom.

Let's finish things off with one last banter.

It's rare for humans to have such a keen sense of smell.

You know...I kind of understand what he was saying.
?
You have a unique scent.

Next time, I don't know. I'll play it by ear, maybe another side story, maybe another character story, guess we'll wait and see!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man, I forget how immediately Throné and Ochette start flirting.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Good to know that all of the human trafficking and murder isn't putting a damper on the party's mood. :v:

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
How long was it since Orerush regained its wealth? As it is now, this does not strike me as the kind of town to have this much corruption, but it used to be far worse of.

Throne's plan does have a flaw, the slaver could have repeated her move and downed two cups, leaving Throne with the poisoned one. She needed to first drink one cup and then two the second go to ensure the slaver has the last cup.

I do like how the game characterize Throne though. I think she is one of the most interesting characters and he story at least starts out strong.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Crystalgate posted:

How long was it since Orerush regained its wealth? As it is now, this does not strike me as the kind of town to have this much corruption, but it used to be far worse of.

Throne's plan does have a flaw, the slaver could have repeated her move and downed two cups, leaving Throne with the poisoned one. She needed to first drink one cup and then two the second go to ensure the slaver has the last cup.

I do like how the game characterize Throne though. I think she is one of the most interesting characters and he story at least starts out strong.

this is one of the only Octopath 1-esque "wait a second shouldn't the other story in here have impacted this one" events. the existence of a slave ring in Partitio's backyard is something that you'd think he would have known and/or tried to do something about. solid penny dreadful chapter though

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Crystalgate posted:

That doesn't really narratively work, the punch of that scene is that Throné takes charge and flips the game on her first move and without any player input. If she had done it on her second turn, it would have been less bold and more calculating.

I mean she even calls it out, the Slaver could have just cheated and drank all the remaining non-poison cups, but he replies that he wanted to see if she could pull it off. They're both Blacksnakes; they don't mind dying so long as it's on their own terms.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I'm scared to think what use Partitio would have for a poison collar.

Many poisons are remedies in small doses; if you can adjust the dosage that the collar dispenses to be safe, you might have something that people would be interested in buying for their health.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

TheDavies posted:

Many poisons are remedies in small doses; if you can adjust the dosage that the collar dispenses to be safe, you might have something that people would be interested in buying for their health.
That was my thought as well. I figure Partitio was going to give the poison to a trusted apothecary to try to discover a cure for it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Oresrush, Pioneer Town

Today features a short and simple side story that's kinda been left over from the other Chapter 1 ones.

Some lying thief has absconded with the goods I worked so hard to procure! I believed him when he said he was a fellow merchant, trusting oaf that I am!

So yeah, we simply need to find this thief and steal the stolen goods back.

Even if we get this guy's goods back, I'm kind of worried about this guy's future. He seems the type of people who could easily get suckered by a loanshark.

Anyway, we don't have to go far to find the culprit.

The goods are likely hiding in his house. Sure, we could just KO him or drug him at night...

...but where's the sport in that?

...Not that there's much sport in kicking his rear end. Sure is cathartic, though!

Don't know if I'll use it much, but might as well take it. Hell, Hikari has daggers as a Dancer so it might actually be decent for him!

Anyway, that takes care of that.

You've risked so much for me. The man who took them was a truly rotten scoundrel. I cannot thank you enough! If not for you, I would be out of business.

Short and simple.

Anyway, since I don't want to cut the update short, let's revisit a couple of towns. When I last explored Oresrush, I basically just had Temenos and Partitio, which limited what path actions I could do. Now, we can be more thorough.

For instance, we can find out this sketchy-looking man is simply a scavenger. Not the most glamorious of paths, but if it pays the bills, all the better.

It's hard to let go of your past sometimes.

This place is empty now. I guess with the Slaver dead, there's no one to manage the slave trade. Hooray, I guess?

Of course, Oresrush has a lot of dialogue specific to bartering with Partitio. Nothing too exciting of note to purchase/steal, but some decent beginner gear to fill a few gaps.

Eh, that approach works until it doesn't. Seems like when it does eventually end in disaster, it increases the chances that disaster is more intense and catastrophic.

Or maybe I'm just spouting nonsense so I can better transition to the next screenshots.

More sucking up to Partitio.

This guy still seems to have a job, for some reason.

To Giff's credit, he actually seems to be working hard these days. Maybe Partitio whipping his butt was the best thing that could've happened to Giff.

Unlike Partitio's former workers' coins, you can buy Giff's, and he even offers it at a deep discount.

Seriously, everyone loves Partitio here. For good reason, of course.

These kind of people are the backbone of any good town. The type that stand tall even when things are at their lowest, still living on with full optimism. If it weren't for people like her that kept trying, Oresrush may have become a distant memory.

This guy talks a lot about respecting horses, and you can see why here.

Unfortunately, Oresrush doesn't seem to have a lot of children, so this boy has to make his own entertainment.

Injuries suck, especially ones that may end your career.

Probably for the best.

It's never too late to start over.

You know what, Giff? I believe you.

We have a bit more time, so let's revisit Flamechurch and the cathedral there.

Flamechurch, Sacred Light

One of my favorite Octopath tropes is the generic NPC that actually used to be a highly-trained killer or specialized thief that pulled off a major heist but retired to a normal life after that. And if you find that sort of thing entertaining, then one of the coming towns will be a treat.

A nice knife upgrade, as well as this seemingly-useless Rosary. As you may expect, there is indeed a way to make this useful, though not yet.

These Herbs of Serenity are rare, since Castti uses them to "soothe" specific NPCs, namely those guarding treasure and houses. Best to grab them whenever we can.

Mindt is a bit of a role model among the younger clerics.

Free healthcare is a pretty nice bonus when you're a reckless youth. And hey, what better occupation for an adventurer than one where you can heal your own injuries?

I love these two girls are rivals for completely different reasons, and thus aren't actually competing against each other in anything.

Sometimes I have no idea why certain items cannot be stolen. This guy is really protective of his Bottled Nightmares.

Next up, the cathedral.

NPC is a former lawbreaker, take a drink.

One touch I love is that almost every NPC on this screen carries Candy. You'll see why in a moment.

Better late than never. It's nice that she's committed enough to rectifying her past behaviors to dedicate her prayers to her daughter-in-law. Of course, I'm sure the grandchild is a major factor in that...

This costs a ton, so having a guaranteed chance to steal a jam is massive, even if it just maxes BP and Latent Energy.

If you're wondering why everyone in this screen has Candy, well, now you know.

Even his Hidden Item is Candy.

We live in a world where the gods can grant blessings and allow the utilization of magic. I don't think an Isle of Illusions is a big stretch.

This kid has a surprisingly low 60% chance to Scrutinize, which may have to do with his partial deafness. His mother probably dedicates too much of her time in prayer when she should instead spend it with her son.

It's great to have hobbies, and always difficult when you first share them with others. Hell, I remember making three different attempts before I finally started my first Let's Play. I think it's worked out in the long run!

At this point, I think her son needs her guidance more than the gods'. Her son seems capable and self-sufficient, even if he can't hear well he seems like he can make it fine in this world. If anything, maybe she needs his guidance...?

Yeah, nothing like telling your confessions to the church's biggest gossip...

I bet the other clerics are thrilled to see her on every day of worship.

A hunter who is truly appreciative of the bounties allowed to him. He takes just what he needs, still pays respects for the lives he had to take to eat and clothe himself, and still offers what he can to the church.

Sometimes you don't need to be special in any aspect. As long as you're true to yourself and live the best life you can live, that's good enough to warrant being important.

I don't remember if I felt this way my first playthrough, but decent staves seem so hard to come by in the early game. I definitely appreciate the church graciously donating this to my thief.

Before I move to the night shift, I decide to take on this fellow guarding his apartment.

Yeah, I was wrong, Vengeful Blade's counterattacks do a good bit more damage than a regular attack. I'll probably be using this a decent bit in the mid-game, as it seems like a great tool for more physical bosses.

It seems similar to Hachimonjigri, so I'll keep the latter, since I don't think I can regain it.

Not gonna turn down a nice shield upgrade!

I forgot what I mugged from this guy, but it was good enough that I went to the effort to beat it outta him.

This cleric is too strong to really Coerce, but is very cheap to Bribe, which is why you should always weigh your options when doing path actions.

Anyway, kinda amusing that she dedicated her entire life to enjoying the smell of old books, but I've heard of crazier such examples, so...

Osvald somehow looks pretty badass with the Hunter animations, though it helps that despite being in prison he still kept himself in good shape. A future travel banter alludes that he thinks a good physique is as important as a healthy mind.

Yeah, makes you wonder how many people show up to midnight mass or whatever.

That's it for Flamechurch for now, again! Next time, we'll dive into a full-fledged Chapter 2, when Temenos visits Canalbrine to hunt for clues on the pontiff's murderer. It's about time we continued with that instead of recruiting a bunch of random people and then travel the world to mug everyone of their belongings!

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
It's really nice the little stories the game manages to tell by peeping on everyone. Just adds a lot of flavor to the world.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's time to do our first full Chapter 2, this time with Temenos, mainly due to him being our lead and also because we don't have to go anywhere new, just back to Canalbrine.

Video: The Second Victim

Torrent of Evil

And so we begin with an apothecary running in terror...

Urgh... Merciful gods...
Heh... And what do you want with my lord?

"...did suffer grievous wounds in the fight with the evil god Vide. And fell into eternal slumber."

All in the name...

-----

Seaside Town

Just before the pontiff was murdered, someone met with him.

He may yet hold the clue I need to find the murderer.

Yeah, no need to build things up in these Chapter 2's. Our characters already have their goals, so might as well jump to the action. And the banters, of course.

Pontiff... Your death came all too soon...

Temenos...?
Ah, Castti. Is everything all right?
Oh, please don't mind me. I apologize for interrupting.

And so I must follow the trail of the theologian Lucian.
Temenos, wait...

Suppressing your feelings only serves to put undue burden on your body. So might it not be best to leave more time to grieve?
Thank you, Castti. I see it is not only your patients whom you heal...

As an apothecary, Castti has likely seen her fair share of deaths, so she knows too well the importance of proper grieving. Something that Temenos has been too distracted to do so far.

Unfortunately, that may have to wait even longer, as there's a commotion going on in the town.

Aw come on, just give us one look!

(The only way to close a case is to begin investigating. I'd better ask around and find out what happened.)

For now, we just need to chat up the locals. Most of them talk about a mysterious incident that's shaking up this poor town.

But why has the Sacred Guard sealed off the area...?

How awful... I was a patient of his, too.

The player's witnessed the murder so obviously that's no surprise to us, but why is the Sacred Guard here?

(Canalbrine's renowned apothecary's been killed by an unknown assailant.)

Gotta say, it's not easy being an apothecary in Canalbrine.

SILENCE

I bet you're hiding a weapon. I'll have you restrained!
That sounds a touch aggressive...

Fortunately, a familiar face shows up just in time.

You needn't restrain him. I vouch for him.

Well, that worked out.

Was this your new post, in the end?

Though I'm glad I did. You were nearly wrongfully imprisoned!

Are you all right, Temenos? You look rather pale...

Carefree Days

Nevertheless, a debt is a debt. I shall remember this... Haha.
...!

Do not dare say "fate," Temenos.

Temenos and Crick have such great chemistry together.

As we transition to another street of Canalbrine...

SILENCE

And anything with "night" in the title catches my eye of late.

The verse in the note the pontiff left behind.

By that logic, perhaps the pontiff meant to warn us against the threat that is Lucian.

No. Nothing at all...

Of course I do. These two cases share more than a bit of scripture.
Go on...
One of the townsfolk had a most curious story for me. Our ill-fated apothecary met in secret with a man mere days before his murder.

Wh-what!?
The pontiff also met with Lucian just before he was murdered. I believe our theologian played a role in both incidents.

...!

Alas, before we could continue on this path of deduction...

You want to buy a ticket, too? You can pay your respects to the goddess of the city!
Apologies, but I am otherwise occupied.
Feh! You're no fun!

A performance, amid all this chaos?

There's not a moment to lose! He must be stopped!

What are you waiting for? Another murder? There may well have been one already!

(Alas, with no further evidence or clues at hand...)

We've got our objective. Lucian has been connected with two murders, so he's as good a suspect as any.

This does seem to mirror Octopath Traveler 1, which had a similar plot where an ordinary-seeming merchant was meeting the city's high priest, but in reality was slowly poisoning him to death so he could overthrow the religion with his evil cult. It seems too simple for such a story to be happening twice...

Ah well, in the meantime, we've got a couple new banters. First:

Seaside Town

Perhaps we can spare a moment, sure.
Hoo...boy, that's better!

Aw, this ol' thing? Pops gave it to me. An' it gets mighty musty up there if I don't take it off every now 'n' then!

Huh? Somethin' the matter? You look like a detective what just solved a mystery!

Is that also your father's, or...?

Banters usually do one (or both) of two things: They either add a bit of context to the current story by getting more thoughts from the focal character, or they add character depth to the focal character and possibly the other character as well. However, sometimes banters are just fun goofs with no real consequence, and those are always nice for a change of pace.

Now for a more interesting one.

Don't you think you're a little too hard on Crick?
Ah, do forgive me. His reactions are just so amusing that I got carried away...

Haha... You're a kind soul, Agnea.

That was your way of being kind to him!

...?

Temenos does genuinely like and respect Crick, which is why he gives him so much guff. He may mess with Crick a bit much, but it's because Crick is so innocent and noble-minded that he kinda needs to learn when not to trust others and when he needs to bend the rules a bit. Much like Agnea, in a way.

But yeah, Temenos also just loves messing with Crick for the hell of it. Hell, I can't really blame him.

This house was locked when we explored Canalbrine previously. Turns out it's Lucian's residence, which may explain the need of privacy.

Lucian? Are you there? I am from the Sacred Guard. I wish to have a word with you.
No reply... As I thought.

What are you suggesting, Temenos?

Says the man who tells me we've not a moment to lose.

How dare you--!

Now, let's invite ourselves in.

-----

Apprehension

How...could this be?

I very much doubt he is our killer now.
Then who could it be?

That would be unwise, Crick. Let's have a look around before the Sacred Guard has its way with the place.

-----

SILENCE

As head of the Sacred Guard, perhaps you should not intervene...

Understood. Forgive my impudence.

Never in all my days did I think I'd see the heroes of the scripture in the flesh.
The matter at hand must be quite serious...

Oho... Temenos, no doubt. Seems the hound has a very keen nose.

Are you quite sure?
We are simply carrying out the mission our lord gave us.

It seems the situation is serious enough that the head of the Sanctum Knights herself is here. Considering how well Temenos has gotten along with their non-Crick members so far, this can only end well...

-----

Video: The Search for Evidence

You're far too hasty, Crick. Give me a moment to think.
Y-yes, of course...

Hm? I've seen this before...

Doubt Is What I Do

It's time to search for clues.

Fortunately, they're all in plain sight. If you watch the video, you'll see the difficulty I have just moving to the clues to interact with them. Call it a skill issue.

Also, I really like the shadow effects in Detective Vision.

One thing my study has revealed is that, to a person,

they all bore the same tattoo:

The shape of the dais that carries the Sacred Flame.

---

What significance that holds, if any,

will surely reveal itself with further study.

The other discovery of note is this verse:

(But we don't yet know if it's related to the matter at hand.)

So far, it seems Lucian was likely a good guy who knew what was going on, and managed to give the necessary warning to the Pontiff, which he managed to pass on to Temenos. It's likely the murderer who struck down Lucian was also who set up the Pontiff's murder...

But we need more clues first.

(A handbook on how to pray to the gods...)

If you're playing along at home, see if you can spot what Temenos is likely slowly realizing...

If you need help, there is still yet one more clue.

("Proper prayers bring good fortune.")

(Could this have any relation to the three victims we've found thus far?)

Let's look at the connections and see where everything leads.

(It seems the killer is working their way backward through the order of prayers.)

And there's your answer.

SILENCE

Welcome back, Temenos.

What!? Are you sure?
Is there a famous dancer in the city, Crick?
A dancer? Erm...

I believe her name was Hermes, and she was to dance at the tavern, or something of the sort?
Ah, yes... Well remembered.

We must hurry!

We know the killer's next target, so if we attend the show, we should be able to find the killer and stop them before they strike again.

We need to hurry...after some banter.

That's quite an ominous statement.
There's blood everywhere. They left a trace. Which means they lacked the skill to kill their target instantly.

What's the matter, Temenos?

Heh. Is that a challenge, Detective?

There's a level of respect and even growing friendship between Temenos and Throné. Both are skilled at what they do, and both know how talented the other is. We'll actually see this a bit more fairly soon...

...but for now, this is a good as place to end the update.

Next time, Temenos and Crick hunt down the mysterious killer and hopefully apprehend them...

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

That "Bravo, Crick, you're learning" line from Temenos has fantastic voice acting.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's a fine line between tough love and just being a dick, and to Temenos' credit, he does seem to be trying. The Agnea banter is very sweet.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We know Temenos is not just a dick, because he told the story of Aelfric's last stand against Vide to those kids. And he genuinely seems to want to do good. It's just that his people skills are not amazing, I think. Which is why his night actions fits him quite well.

I can't help but feel like Temenos' story is pretty important to the overall "main" story of the game. We had that overarching villain in Octopath 1, and I assume the obvious Vide connection of the murderer points in a similar direction for Octopath 2.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Last time, Temenos reunited with Crick, and together they discovered how the murderer is choosing their victims, and thus have deduced who the next target is.

So we're off to stop that.

Miscreant's Melody

Are you having the time of your lives this evening?

Do you really think the killer is in the audience?
Haha. Very carefully hidden, yes.

Before we get to deducing, some banter.

Yes, with your help I believe I have some extremely educated guesses.
I knew you would figure it out. So, who is our enemy?
The note the pontiff left behind was as big a clue as I suspected.

This phrase, given to use by a particular people, is what binds these cases together.

And there will be a mark on their person that proves it.
Hm... So you expect to find them among the crowd at the tavern?
Precisely. Though it won't be easy.
You have my sword, should it come to blows.

So yeah, seems Temenos has figured out a lot more than he's even let on to Crick. In fact, you wouldn't know Temenos has deduced this information yet outside of this banter. That said, at this time it isn't relevant considering we have to apprehend this murderer before they strike again.

There's three suspicious-looking people in the audience.

There's one surefire way Temenos knows to get answers.

REPENT

If circumstances were different, we'd be better off taking care of this person too. Alas, not today.

CONFESS YOUR SINS

Meanwhile, this is simply a relative showing her support in the only way she knows how: silently and very suspiciously.

That leaves this really suspicious figure with high shields, and thus a lot to hide.

But Temenos will always uncover the truth.

This is our murderer. This is the person who murdered the pontiff, the apothecary, the theologian.

Video: The Culprit is You!

SILENCE

This string of murders was committed by none other than you...

Upon vanquishing the "Flamebringer," you came here to Canalbrine. Where you easily crossed the "Charitable" and the "Scholarking" off your list. And in accordance with the scripture, your next target will be...

Who shall be played this evening by the renowned dancer Hermes. Isn't that so?

Urgency

Open your eyes to the truth!

Bravo, Crick.

Unfortunately, he ran off before we could stop him.

That's the Sacred Guard's ship! We must be swift!

No time to waste, we must climb aboard the Sacred Guard's ship to chase down Vados.

It's basically a mini-dungeon with a small amount of loot and a few elemental sentinels keeping guard.

The insides are appropriately fancy. Also, just now looking at this screenshot I notice a chest behind the beds that I missed. I don't know if I can ever live with myself after that mistake.

It's not far until we reach Vados.

SILENCE

The late pontiff left a note behind just before his death. It reads as follows:

Words from the Keepers of the Flame, I believe.

Which means the pontiff wanted us to know that the killer was one of you.

You lured the beast that killed the pontiff to the cathedral...

Standing watch as the pontiff died.

Well deduced, Temenos...

In Pursuit of Truth

Vados... Why!?
You cannot detain me here.

Video: Boss - Vados the Architect

Critical Clash I

It's time for our first boss of Chapter 2. Fortunately, we have a variety of jobs and allies to help us, because we're going to need them!

Also, if you do watch the boss videos, you're in for a treat, as Octopath Traveler 2 adds a bit of banter between characters during battle. It's not as prevalent in this battle, but characters will complement each other when breaking a foe, or yell to a character in concern if they hit low HP.

Anyway, despite loving to brandish a knife in cutscenes, Vados is primarily a magic user, preferring to summon elemental wisps to assist him.

Just because Osvald isn't here doesn't mean I can't take advantage of their elemental weaknesses!

As usual, the start of the battle is mostly about whittling down the adds while figuring out what weaknesses our foes have.

The wisps themselves use weak elemental attacks. Nothing too scary on their own.

However, Vados won't simply leave them on their own. He'll eagerly boost their E.Atk to make them (and himself) hit harder.

He'll also sacrifice weakened wisps to unleash a powerful elemental attack. These hit pretty hard, in this case for over half of Partitio's HP.

Vados even has some AoE damage to weaken the party with. Dealing with him can be difficult if you're not prepared.

But that's why we have a Cleric as our protagonist. Temenos can bail our party out of almost any situation.

Granted, I had to spend some BP to do this much healing, but it's not like you're going to always use it for attacks. Sometimes you simply need to stay alive at all costs.

We break and buff...

...and utterly lay our offense into Vados. Turns out Hikari and Ochette can do a lot of damage, go figure!

Of course, this isn't Chapter 1. Vados is just getting started.

Fortunately, during the battle I buff our party's E.Def. by having Ochette summon a Sanctum Knight immediately before this attack who immediately used Mental Augmenatation to boost the entire party's E.Atk and E.Def, else it probably would've done much more to Hikari!

Bosses still have powerful moves under their sleeve if you don't break them in time.

These are proper elementals, which also temporarily seal half of Vados's weaknesses so that they can't be triggered.

With Advanced Magic, Temenos now has more powerful versions of Revive, Heal Wounds, and Luminiscence.

Heal More heals, well, more. It heals less than the last screenshot because this one isn't boosted at all.

The various monsters I collected for Ochette pull a fair bit of weight this fight.

Also, since I have Partitio here, you better believe he got paid for his troubles.

Advanced Magic makes target-all elemental spells hit two times, somewhat reminiscient of the Sorcerer job in OT1. It's great for doing damage of course, but it's one of the best ways to shred elemental weaknesses, which is generally more difficult to pull off.

And it turns out Ochette gets the honors of delivering the killing blow.

Video: Two Paths

SILENCE

"Surrender yourself not unto silent dusk. For the light shall fade."

Beg for His mercy, for it is He who shall judge you for your crimes.

Take him away.

...so eager to take the credit for the hard work of others.

Go about your business. Your little interrogation is over.
I will merely note that the criminal now in your custody is a heretic.

Will nothing stay your tongue?

...Yes, Captain.

-----

We will deal with the aftermath here in Canalbrine.

You shall be his escort.
I am honored, Captain. Yet...
...Yet what?

As such, might we not grant him the opportunity to interrogate Vados?

Many thanks, Captain.

Did your investigation reveal anything of note?

"Surrender yourself not unto silent dusk. For the light shall fade."

Good work. That will be all.

It seems...odd that the Sacred Guard is fine with Temenos interrogating Vados, considering how at odds the two sides are with each other.

-----

Ort... Are you joking?

I scarcely deserve the admiration of someone so clearly superior.
Haha... Is that so?

Come now, you needn't spar with me to know you're better...right?
Hah... It is possible for skills to atrophy, you know.

Just as the inquisitor brought you into the church.
Right...

We just happen to be following our own flames.
Down paths we pray are righteous.

Crick and Ort have respect for each others' skills and devotion. They may be walking on different paths, but both have the same goals of defending the Sacred Flame. Crick's path is just a bit more...unorthodox, due to his mentor.

-----

What is it that you're reading, Temenos?

Let's not say anything we'll regret, Crick. This is well within the bounds of our investigation.

What do you plan to do next, anyhow?
Well, the case this string of murders opened is now closed... I have been told to escort Vados back to headquarters, and that is what I shall do.

I think you would do well to choose gratitude over doubt, just this once.

If Temenos is nothing else, he certainly is consistent in his convictions.

Temenos, the Cleric

Two pa-- Are you not returning to the Sacred Guard headquarters yourself?
That is the first path, and it leads to the interrogation of Vados. The second path, however, lies within these notes.

Apparently they're somewhere in Crackridge. The theologian Lucian intended to visit them before he was killed.
I feel this might be a momentous clue. And so the second path leads to the Fellsun Ruins.

Whichever you choose to follow... Take care of yourself, Temenos. I shall welcome you at our headquarters whenever you arrive.

(Why did Vados kill these people? Why did he liken his victims to each of the eight gods?)

And thus ends Chapter 2 for Temenos.

Let's end with some banter.

That is a question with no easy answer, I'm afraid.

Dogs are wise, they've got good noses, and they're fast...

Would you mind if I called you a hound, too?

Somehow I don't think Inquisitor Temenos Mistral would rather actually be known as "The Hound". Even if he does have a nose for solving mysteries...

That's it for today, and normally I'd either do some side stories or jump to another character's story next, but...

...Octopath Traveler 2 adds Crossed Path stories, four different two-part stories starring a different pair of characters. The first part unlocks when doing both characters' Chapter 2 (or one of them if they have multiple, like Throné). So we'll get to see Throné and Temenos work together to search for a mysterious treasure next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Perchiyama
Jul 23, 2017
I think what really underscores the Temenos and Crick dynamic - and how much Temenos does respect Crick in his own way - is how much different Temenos is with the rest of the Sacred Guard. The needling there isn't kind at all, just barbed and pointed, and it makes Crick's stuff stand out more as "oh this IS Temenos being nice".