Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Procrastine posted:

It's probably for game balance reasons but it feels like a missed opportunity to not have eight of each

The mobile game bumps the weapons up to eight so that each job has its own weapon. Scholars get tomes instead of staves and Dancers get fans instead of daggers. Think it's still just the six elements though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Temenos: the priest who opens with "Preaching is not what I do."

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

I got to this point in my own playthrough and the voice acting was just dripping with playful sarcasm. Temenos is amazing.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I thought this was Octopath II, not Strangers of Paradise. :v:

It's a little surprising to see an inquisitor who isn't just a "Kill everyone and let God sort it out later" type.

But sorting them out is the good part! Why should God get all the fun?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Wasn't quite expecting the Inquisitor to beat up everyone, but I suppose that's one way to get answers.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
The Octopath Traveler Tabletop RPG Rulebook has a section on the world for Osterra, but since the gods are the same both in Osterra and in this new land, we can assume they are the same in general. It says that all 12 (and therefore all 8) are siblings, and Aelfric is the youngest of the 12. Not only is He the one with the Sacred Flame that can banish the evil machinations of Vide, but we can assume that the others fell first because They were protecting Their little brother. It's a sad little note that helps humanize Them just a bit, even if They are gods.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Jossar posted:

Wasn't quite expecting the Inquisitor to beat up everyone, but I suppose that's one way to get answers.

The game never says it outright to my knowledge, but given the strange ripple background when Temenos is interrogating someone I always figured the breaking people was more a symbolic in-game way of representing harsh interrogation and mentally sussing people out than actually physically beating people up.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

The game never says it outright to my knowledge, but given the strange ripple background when Temenos is interrogating someone I always figured the breaking people was more a symbolic in-game way of representing harsh interrogation and mentally sussing people out than actually physically beating people up.

On the other hand, the little animation for him preparing to interrogate someone is him slapping his cane into his hand, so...

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
Well I suppose turning interrogations into full on battle scenes is one way to keep gameplay without a full on mini game.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Probably, but on the other hand the idea of Temenos just beating people up all night long is incredibly funny.

(Other path actions)Unlike dueling, Temenos' interrogation does leave people standing, so that's probably the case.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I went with Osvald and japanese voices for Jouji Nakata. The voice acting is great in both languages though!

Charlett posted:

The Octopath Traveler Tabletop RPG Rulebook has a section on the world for Osterra, but since the gods are the same both in Osterra and in this new land, we can assume they are the same in general. It says that all 12 (and therefore all 8) are siblings, and Aelfric is the youngest of the 12. Not only is He the one with the Sacred Flame that can banish the evil machinations of Vide, but we can assume that the others fell first because They were protecting Their little brother. It's a sad little note that helps humanize Them just a bit, even if They are gods.

Wait what? Is that real?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Temenos's VA is a guy named Jordan Dash Cruz, if you're curious.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait what? Is that real?

Yup! Charlett just got a copy of it last month in March. I've lost track of time post-surgery.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait what? Is that real?

It is! It's only available in Japanese right now, but I did end up getting the book in March, like Kheldarn said, and have finished translating it around May. It's kinda interesting; if you search for Charlettmoon on Reddit, you should find some of my World Section translations (the only stuff I thought would be okay to put up; anything more and I ask people to buy the book first), as well as a link to a Discord I made for people to get access to it and maybe (attempt to) set up some games.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That's an interesting take.. I also have to wonder if there's any sort of Sacred Flame schism between Ostera and Solistia. Its a lot more of a difference in opinion if there's a 50% increase in the pantheon than just a single letter that may or may not have been a blotch.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Stillness Underground

Fortunately, the passage to the cathedral is brief. Perhaps too brief, as I forgot to get enough JP to unlock another skill. But hey, that should make things more interesting!

And since I forgot to show it earlier, here are the boats. They're neat little details.

Temenos's Talent inflicts debuffs on enemies at night, which is nice and helps make up for encounters generally being more difficult at night.

A couple of the enemies I encountered. Nothing too exciting.

I did get a nice weapon upgrade for Temenos, which should come in handy.

As is customary, there's a random merchant right before a boss fight, in case you're low on consumables.

One screen, rather simple.

SILENCE

Time to see what's really going on here...

Your Holiness! Please, no...

What...in the world...?

In Pursuit of Truth

Uh...I guess that answers what happened to the Pontiff.

Could it have shattered the window? Surely not...
Stand back, Temenos.

I appreciate your courage, but I need not be sheltered from any and all danger.

Video: Boss - Felvarg

Critical Clash II

Behold, the successor to one of the greatest boss themes of all time. It has a lot to live up to, but I think this song stands up quite well on its own, especially on repeated listens.

Oh right, the boss.

This is Felvarg, or a Felvarg, or something. It doesn't matter, we just gotta kill it before it kills us.

First off, I decide to buff and find out what Felvarg is weak to.

This beast is mostly a physical attacker, but it has a pretty hefty darkness magic attack.

Staves aren't effective, but we've got swords and light magic to work with. Should be simple enough.

Indeed, the first break doesn't take too long to get off.

The turn order also works out in my favor, as immediately after Crick can release a max-boosted Sacred Slash.

...which debuffs Felvarg's elemental defense, leading to a 50% increase in damage from a max-boosted Holy Light.

When an enemy recovers from break, they always get the first turn, regardless of what speed buffs and debuffs may be up. I made sure to have Crick cover Temenos just in case, and this was for the best since Felvarg got a nasty three-hit attack off.

It's agitated!
Will you cower behind me yet again, dear Crick?
You may as well get behind me if all you have to offer are cruel jokes!

Well now... You may prove reliable yet.

Halfway through each Chapter 1 boss, each character will unlock their Latent Power, which is basically a limit break.

Also I finally get an excuse to use Heal Wounds, in that I need to start healing more or I'll die.

I opt to spend some BP to whittle Felvarg down quickly. The plan is to break him the following turn with Temenos, giving me two rounds to lay into it. Which I proceed to do.

Temenos has one of the more situational latents, and thus it's probably the one I've used the least. Still very handy in some situations.

Break and Boost.

This nasty attack heals Felvarg the same amount he inflicts.

SP issues can be a thing for some characters. It shouldn't be for Temenos later on, but for now that healing spell is expensive.

It looks like Felvarg's gonna get two turns to throw more nasty attacks, so now's a good time to use our Latent and break this fella early!

Having your latent active gives this nice glowing effect that pairs well with the boost aura.

Thus we break Felvarg even without it having a staff weakness. Handy!

After another round of unloading damage, Felvarg prepares to unleash a devastating attack on Temenos.

Even worse, the jerk locks all of its weaknesses temporarily, so we can't break it without Temenos's latent...which we just used. Not that we could break five shields with it anyway, the max is four attacks.

Oh well, plan B of "Buff Crick and have him take the hit" works out well.

And after one more volley, we put this pupper down for good.

Video: Suspected Foul Play

SILENCE

Pontiff...

Steady yourself, Crick. We must keep our wits about us.
...Forgive me.

He's yet warm. We're too late, but not by much.
What a horrific accident...

How do you mean?

Temenos...

Doubt Is What I Do

...I believe this is roughly how things looked before the pontiff was slain. First, we must find out how the beast came to be here. It must have left a trace somewhere around here.

There's two nearby clues. First...

(Looks like someone burnt incense here.)

(A flower known to attract all manner of beasts, but especially those of the varg family. In other words... It's no coincidence we found that foul creature here. It must have been lured to the cathedral.)

And then...

(Shards of the cathedral window are scattered across the floor. But this window contains powerful wards that keep evil at bay. So how did it get through?)

(As though it landed outside the cathedral...)

(Suppose it did land outside the cathedral... The window could've been broken from within, and the shards retroactively scattered inside... In which case this was not the beast's doing, but the work of another.)

(Though one thing still troubles me.)

It turns out there's one more clue to be discovered.

(These are never seen in the cathedral but for a few important ceremonies. So, why were they out tonight...? In fact, the pontiff once told me...)

("The gods, eager to seal their evil counterpart away...became as four sacred flames, and settled into slumber. The truth lies in the flame.")

(This is no mere coincidence. It was premediated.)

Ah, Temenos. Welcome back.

If you look closely, they've flecks of dirt upon them. Which suggests it was broken from within, and the shards were scattered across the floor afterward.

Which contained the lingering scent of an incense known to lure all manner of monsters.
Y-you mean--!

Apprehension

I am all but certain.
Who...who would do such a thing!?
Indeed, that is the question.

These candlesticks were carelessly toppled. You may suppose they were knocked aside when the pontiff was attacked. But these are only taken out for a handful of important ceremonies. So why were they out tonight, and surrounding the altar no less?

"...became as four sacred flames, and settled into slumber."

I believe His Holiness sensed the impending danger, and hid it for us to find. Hoping that someone would understand the significance of all this.

Sadly, before we can try to discern what importance this scripture held...

SILENCE

Why are you here...?
We got word of a beast prowling the area... But I see we're too late.

Leave at once, and take nothing with you.
Let us be off.

I need you to investigate something for me.

-----

Overwhelming Despair

Pontiff Jörg, father to our flock...was as the Sacred Flame unto us, scattering the shadows cast along our path. And we shall tell his story for generations to come.
Your Holiness...
This cannot be...

I'm sure none are as heartbroken over this as Temenos. He may hold his cards close to his chest, but it's obvious he deeply cared about the Pontiff.

We may never fully comprehend what we've lost.
We meet again, Deputy.
I wanted to speak with you, since you discovered the scene.

SILENCE

We both know that's not true, Temenos. Reflect on what the dear pontiff would think of your lies.

One that has long upheld order and peace within the church's purview. The pontiff set up the Inquisition so that he could participate in that process.

Is it not the duty of the Sacred Guard to protect the church's influential members?

To the library with us, Crick.

Lovely person!

Before we visit the library, we can take a quick look around the proceedings.

Everyone's taking this pretty hard, understandably.

It seems Temenos is not on the best of terms with most of the Sanctum Knights.

Ow, the edge.

It's OK, I won't mourn this NPC's inevitable death either.

There's nothing like a funeral to fuel the desire to learn!

I was merely pointing out the facts.
...By lying? You said you didn't notice anything at the cathedral.
Haha... I'd like to say that was born of simple expedience.

So, did you do as I asked?
Well...

...but not a soul saw anyone suspicious.
Hm...

They did arrive rather quickly to the cathedral while supposedly hunting this beast, even though nothing seemed odd about the cathedral itself. There's definitely something more going on here.

Lower your voice, Crick.

Is it of any significance?
Hrm... It looks like any other book...

There's a note between the pages.

What does it mean?
I've not a clue.

-----

...Understood.
You'll be informed of the location later. Pack your belongings.

At least we're done with her for now.

Oh well, I guess this is goodbye for Crick.

-----

Video: In Search of Truth

Bygone Days

Heh... I see you won't be taken in.
We weren't in each other's company long...

It was an honor, Crick.
What will you do now?

A...journey?

I have a hunch, you see.

I must take my leave.

Here's hoping we meet again!

The one who was with the pontiff, and thus is now of great interest to me. His Holiness concerned himself with the movements of the heretics while alive. So an interrogation of Lucian may be in order.

Though I cannot help but wonder...

Temenos, the Cleric

"And soon, night shall fall."

I heard the news... That you're leaving the village.
Forgive me for not saying farewell, Mindt. This is to be a journey of healing... I must mend my broken heart.

Hehe. 'Tis impossible to know what goes on in that mind of yours. But I know you'll conduct yourself well.

Farewell.
Farewell, Mindt.

And so we begin our journey. Temenos aims to find the murderer of the Pontiff, but this surely won't be easy. It'll be best if he had stalwart allies to assist him on his journey, and perhaps he could repay the favor by helping them with their missions. But where to start...?

I'll leave that up to you. Vote for our second party member! Keep in mind you can vote for multiple people if you're torn between several characters. I'll let it run for a day or two before I go whoever's winning at the time.

In the meantime, next time we've got a couple options ahead of us, enough that I don't know what we'll do yet. Guess we'll find out soon!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
gee, pontiff, why come the sacred flame lets you have TWO inquisitions

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't expect Arkahm Asylum Detective Vision in my RPG.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Sorry Temenos, guess you're getting the case as an overarching plot beat instead of it just being the introduction mission. More time to build up the mystery though!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If the deputy isn't evil, I'll eat my laptop. Also, I didn't know the Sacred Flame doubled as the Batcomputer.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
if you're curious, yes, the boss theme still has the DUN DUN DUN NA NA, DUN DUN DUN NA NA transition.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I was not expecting to like temenos as much as I did but this is such a fun take on a inquisitor and beyond that temenos just has layers to him.

I tried playing the original recently but found it a bit sluggish and tiring but 2 does so much to keep every story engaging that it helps shore up its weaknesses, I love everyone and I think il be happy no matter who comes next.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

that was a quick chapter

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
As much as I love that Temenos is secretly just "CSI: The Video Game", I was a little disappointed that you couldn't come to your own conclusions on what happened the way you could have with Cyrus's story. Maybe some of the players didn't realize what was going on and got the wrong answers and felt annoyed that the game was "punishing" them for not paying attention? Or maybe ESL players who had to play in English because the game wasn't translated in their language felt put off? Either way it felt like a missed opportunity. Oh well!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I like Temenos so much more after listening to his voice lines.

"May the Sacred Flame guide you. Or, something like that."

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Temenos is interesting in that he's got a clownish exterior, but a really sharp and canny mind underneath. It's nice to see a JRPG protagonist who's able to keep his suspicions under his hat and approach problems coolly and methodically.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also having a 'heroic' inquisitor is also different in RPGs since the usual stance is 'religious interrogators = villain'.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Isn't Temenos's Latent more about interrogations? Like, it's useful in combat, since interrogation is just breaking someone's shields, it gets really useful for that, I thought.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
We'll see other Latents in due time but generally as a Latent, it's replaceable (there are other options for universal shield break), you might already be able to break the boss via conventional means, and it doesn't increase your offense in any way (like, it's useless if the boss is already Broken).

It's good if Temenos is sitting on BP and you need to break the boss now with no other options to or you haven't figured out their weaknesses yet, and there are a few neat combos with it. But it's probably one of the more situational Latents.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Prythian posted:

Isn't Temenos's Latent more about interrogations? Like, it's useful in combat, since interrogation is just breaking someone's shields, it gets really useful for that, I thought.

It can be, but IIRC in interrogations you can't refill your latent through normal means. There are items that can fill it, but I forget whether or not you can buy them or easily access them. So it's mainly good as a last resort, and of course later interrogations are gonna have more than four shields.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
There are abilities that hit much more than (Boost + 1) times, and Temenos' Latent will proc for each hit.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
i generally found Temenos sitting on more BP than he knew what to do with, so it was nice to have it there for rapid breaking

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Mega64 posted:

It can be, but IIRC in interrogations you can't refill your latent through normal means. There are items that can fill it, but I forget whether or not you can buy them or easily access them. So it's mainly good as a last resort, and of course later interrogations are gonna have more than four shields.

With the right secondary jobs, you can get considerably more than four hits. While there are far more powerful builds (minor mechanics spoilers) scholar Temenos with Elemental Barrage and the right passives is a breaking machine in midgame.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Mega64 posted:

This statement made me a bit curious, so I just hopped on to check, and it seems like Temenos still gets latent power as per usual. The ways you get latent power (short of items or buffs) are by taking damage or inflicting Breaks, so it's possible that, due to it being a tutorial, you were able to Break targets without actually getting hit in return.

What that means is, if you're in a situation where a target is neither vulnerable to staves or light, you can tough it out for a bit until your power bar fills and then take them down that way.

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
"Doubt is what I do" is a really solid signature line. The combo of Sherlock style investigation with an Inquisitor who still has a sense of humor works really well to make him feel distinct from all of the clear inspirations.

Also, having not really followed Octopath 1 - I see this series joins Final Fantasy in Square's new passion for a Break or Stagger mechanic. Given the way that this sort of turn based combat can otherwise risk being repetitive in places, I'm a fan of how it's being done.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
temenos' one weakness is that his "poo poo's about to go down" theme does not up-tempo as well as the rest of them. his theme is sharp, smug, and deliberately paced, Columbo if Columbo enjoyed being a dick about it. Theme Of That Guy About To Beat Your rear end does not flow neatly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Blastinus posted:

This statement made me a bit curious, so I just hopped on to check, and it seems like Temenos still gets latent power as per usual. The ways you get latent power (short of items or buffs) are by taking damage or inflicting Breaks, so it's possible that, due to it being a tutorial, you were able to Break targets without actually getting hit in return.

What that means is, if you're in a situation where a target is neither vulnerable to staves or light, you can tough it out for a bit until your power bar fills and then take them down that way.

Upon using Coerce on a lot of NPCs for the Flamechurch update coming in a day or two, this is correct, and I was wrong.

I haven't had much luck getting much latent power against weak foes, though. This is again me guessing rather than double-checking the data (which I might look into after this post if I can find any good sources), but the amount you gain seems proportional to how much damage you take. In Coerce scenarios, to get a noticeable amount of healing, Temenos has to take basically more damage than he can heal, otherwise it will take a long time to build back up, like at least a few minutes. I'd rather just hold off for later.

That said, whenever visiting an inn, you restore your latent energy to full, so I was still able to break everyone that 1) Didn't have more than four shields (since I won't skills that do more hits until later in the game), or 2) Is so powerful that they KO Temenos quickly, too soon for Temenos to build up BP to go for four hits (and on top of that, high-level enemies means you'll whiff a lot of attacks unless you have high accuracy). So don't worry, I still managed to have Temenos wail at people with his staff metaphorically and/or literally until they told him about their dark secrets and hidden loot.

Anyway I should have a shortish update up in a bit, just need to write it up first.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Crestlands

It's time for our journey to begin!

Oh hey, a random traveler waiting just outside our starting character's location.

What do I do now...? I won't be able to continue my travels without it...

I'm also on a journey. My name is Al. It's a pleasure to meet you.

Thieves abound at night. I lost my bag to one such man. Now I need to figure out how to get it back...

This side story does a couple things. First off, it introduces us to the concept of night, a new feature in OT2. We've already seen some of it, but basically night has more difficult enemies, but also activates a couple of talents, such as Temenos's.

It also changes towns, in that NPCs may be in different locations and some NPCs in particular only show up in day or night. Likewise, each character has a different path action depending on whether it's day or night.

This side story also introduces you to the concept of, well, side stories. They usually require path actions to solve (though this one does not), and may have a couple ways to solve them. OT2 cut down on the number of these from 100 to 67, but it helps keep some of the fluff out and results in more story content instead, so it's all worth it.

Right, so we have to find this thief. He can't have gone far, and Al suggested he lost it at night, so basically we should change it to night to find this jerk.

First, though, we get a really nice armor upgrade.

And while we're here, since this is a pretty short update, let's get into Temenos's skills. This unlocks as soon as your starting character has 30JP. Each job starts with two skills, then you can unlock five of the other six in any order, and the final skill is a powerful Divine Skill which always requires 3BP to even use. Unlocking job skills also unlocks Support Skills, passives that add buffs, stats, or some really fun effects to battle. EX Skills are character-exclusive, and we'll go into those much later.

I may do a more detailed write-up of the jobs later once we unlock everyone, but here's a quick run-down of Temenos's skills:

Heal Wounds - Restores HP to all allies. Expensive, but a solid healing spell, and SP isn't a major issue as we'll soon see.

Holy Light - Deal light-based damage to a single foe. Temenos's main method of attacking foes, and light is obviously handy against all the evil foes we'll encounter.

Prayer to the Flame - Buffs physical defense and elemental defense of a single ally for two turns, more with each BP spent. There are ways to spread this out, which makes this fantastic, but it's still great single-target for boss battles if you can spend the BP to max its duration out.

Mystical Staff - Deals a staff attack on a target two times, stealing SP equal to 10% of the damage dealt. Temenos has rather weak physical attack, but with a good enough staff it'll make up for its SP cost and then some, plus it's a great way to attack foes with staff weaknesses. One of my personal favorites.

Luminescence - Deal light-based damage to all foes. Obviously great for groups of foes, whether to break them or to deal damage on them. One that's better to get sooner than later.

Sacred Shield - Grants a shield to a single ally that reduces damage from the next hit by 50%, with more hits per BP spent. (Edit: Spending BP instead increases the amount of damage blocked, up to 100% at full BP. It's still only one shield regardless of BP spent.) I never really messed with this much, as I much prefer the more reliable buffs from PttF, but I'm sure it can be valuable in some situations, such as a boss's ultimate attack.

Revive - Revive all allies. This is more of a panic button since it costs a ridiculous 40SP, plus it revives people at only 1HP unless you spend a BP to buff the amount it heals. More of a luxury, but in the rare instances you need it, it can literally turn the tides of a battle.

Divine Skill: Aelfric's Blessing - Grant a single ally an additional action immediately after their current one for three turns. This spends 3BP and a turn to give a target up two or three extra actions (depending on turn order when the caster uses this), which can shake a lot of things up. Note they aren't gaining turns from this, so no stuff like extra BP or regen effect procs, but the extra actions can shake a lot of things up. Situational, but can be very useful.

Support Skills:

Resilience - Boosts the amount of HP restored when healed to the equipped character. Fine as a starting ability, gets outclassed later on. (Edit: This skill is mistranslated, it instead buffs the healing by the character, which makes it much better as an ability, particularly for dedicated healers like Temenos and Castti.)

Inner Strength - Raises Max SP by 50. Again, nice for some of the more expensive skills early on, but nothing worth keeping over other skills.

Evil Ward - Increases the chance to flee from encounters (multiple instances of this skill does nothing). Mainly useful if you're doing a bit of sequence breaking and trying to get to towns or dungeons early to get some good loot, as it's generally difficult to run from higher-level encounters. Definitely nice for convenience.

Rise Again - When knocked out, the character revives once per battle with 25% of their max HP. It's alright, but honestly there's so many good skills out there that will help a lot more in battle than a one-time panic button.

I opt for Mystical Staff for the staff hits and SP regen. I'm probably gonna go Luminecense next, followed by PttF and Revive.

Job skills get more expensive with each purchase. The next one will require 100JP.

A couple more enemies, in addition to the ones we saw a couple updates ago on the march to the Cathedral.

Pomegranates give BP in battle. These smaller ones aren't that useful, but the Large ones especially will be very handy late-game.

Upon turning to night, I also come across an elemental wisp. These things are a handy source of soulstones.

The Crestlands (Night)

Most towns and landscapes have different, more subdued music at night. These outdoor areas between towns usually have backing vocals as well. It's a nice backdrop to these areas.

Looks like we found our thief.

Huh? A map? I ain't ever seen a place like this...

Hah! You have no idea who you're dealin' with, do ya? But that doesn't mean I'll go easy on ya! Hand over all your leaves, now!

It does not work out for the thief.

drat, you can have it! This stupid bag is worthless anyway!

Mission accomplished!

You can check your inventory to look at key items and look at minor descriptions of them.

This even applies to information you learn, such as the clues Temenos found in his chapter.

This will be handy once we have an apothecary.

Let's finish this up and go on our way.

Don't tell me you got it back from the thief!? I cannot thank you enough! Now I can continue my journey.

I must be off now. I pray we meet again!

Not a bad haul. An evasion-boosting nut, some grapes, and cold hard cash. Hard to beat that!

And side story completed!

Speaking of which, the Journal will tell you about all the side stories you've encountered, both completed and in progress.

And you can also revisit previous story chapters if desired.

Next time, we check out the town of Flamechurch to prepare for our journey.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 22, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I sure hope this guy doesn't run into Beelzebub's daughter like his predecessor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

As I’m playing through Disco Elysium right now, I’m left with the impression that Temenos maxed out Visual Calculus for the CSI bits.