Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If you're running with them then that's even more of a vote for the FE from me. The volume control on the higher end models is nice, but once I get sweaty it sometimes triggers false touches so I have to turn it off while running. The nice flat target on the FE that's easier to hit accurately while running. The only mark against them is that they're not as waterproof as the Buds 2 Pro, but the Buds+ have the same water rating as the FE and I've run thousands of miles in my pair of Buds+ in Seattle weather and never had an issue.

Yeah ended up going with the FE. My city has twice the rainfall of Seattle, but I've used earlier Samsung earbuds in this weather (can't rightly recall what came bundled with stuff before the Galaxy Buds era, but it's been a couple), and it's been fine. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mr. Mercury posted:

For the handful of nerds in the hobbyist/IEM space, it looks like the B&K 5128 test fixture is here to stay (and also some interesting findings wrt preference scores and ear canal impedance toward the end of the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-07yI5abm8

The first part of the talk is a useful overview of the history of the Harman headphone research for those interested, though I prefer the paper that Olive himself wrote in Acoustics Today as the definitive summary of the Harman headphone research.

SoundGuys wrote a synopsis of the AES paper that Olive talks about in the back half of his talk (since the paper validated their 5128-based house curve.) Interestingly, they were able to reverse-engineer HP3 as the AirPods Max, which was in the same top-ranked cluster as the Harman targets.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Should be interesting to see how further research pans out with lower ear gain tunings, if the pilot study was indicative of anything. The Senselab results had a wide range of statistical tie, but this is twice now that we've seen low ear gain tunings do well in different contexts (over ear headphones and now IEMs). Even other review sites are following SoundGuys and Apple here.

Wonder if it holds up after a larger study?

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 20, 2024

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Howdy friends I have a much smaller desk due to space issues and Im no longer able to keep my mic plugged in all the time or audio interface.

Do you have any recommendations for good headphones with a mic? Im aware that the mic wont be good quality Im more looking for the convenience of having something I can easily plug in when I jump on Discord for an hour with friends. Thank you for helping me not make a bad purchase.

Budget - $0-300
Source - PC (USB-C connection or wireless, headphone jack)
Intended use case - Hour or two discord sessions with friends and goons.
Preferred Headphone features - Good audio quality, decent mic. The audio is more important to me.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The Sennheiser Game One should meet your requirements

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Okay, so FE Buds are great, real good fit and everything, but after a couple of days of use I'm suddenly getting a noise like wind blowing in the right earbud when using ANC or ambient sound. Anyone experienced something similar? It's a real bummer.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
lack of an airpod max update quite a head scratcher. Thinking that perchance the reason they havn't dropped just the same version with USB-C is that they are getting ready to drop a new version perchance?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Maybe they have a huge backlog of lightning ones to get rid of

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.

Dogen posted:

Maybe they have a huge backlog of lightning ones to get rid of

Then perchance they should cheapen them a touch?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Maxes with type C are the only thing I might even consider replacing my QC25's with. 35 hours of ANC on a rechargeable AAA, with a spot for the spare in the case? Oh ya.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

SamDabbers posted:

The Sennheiser Game One should meet your requirements

Thanks for the Rec! I got these and they sound amazing but after a few hours of fiddling I cant get the microphone to not sound like Im constantly whispering. Hopefully I dont have to return them. The audio really does sound great and theyre comfy and light.

EDIT: Posting on the internet fixed it. Nice.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 24, 2024

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Zeos new video saying that the FiiO JT1 is the new Phillips SHP9500, at $69 is pretty good.

Not that Im in the market for another pair of headphones but bringing to other attention.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The right bud in my Moondrop Space Travel set stopped charging after about a month of ownership due to an invisible layer of buildup of some kind on the contacts. I couldn't see it or feel it with my fingers, and it didn't clean off when rubbing the contacts with an isopropyl-coated q-tip, but after getting frustrated last night I just started scraping at the contacts on the bud itself with a metal tool and one of the two felt rough so I kept going until it didn't. Immediately after that bud was able to charge for the first time in a week.

Anyone else have this problem with theirs, and if so have you been able to figure out how to avoid it other than just scraping the connectors every now and then? I couldn't see any problems but obviously there was something built up in there.

I really wish these things used wireless charging, but for the price I'd have been happy with an actual connector where the contact surface gets swept across on every plug/unplug cycle. Everything I've ever owned that uses a pogo pin system for charging has had some variety of this same problem over the years, though usually not this soon.

Black Griffon posted:

Okay, so FE Buds are great, real good fit and everything, but after a couple of days of use I'm suddenly getting a noise like wind blowing in the right earbud when using ANC or ambient sound. Anyone experienced something similar? It's a real bummer.
I had this happen once with the Space Travels, the right bud just started making noises that had a loose correlation to my head movement in ANC or passthrough modes but not in normal mode, it kept doing this for the rest of the day, and then it hasn't since. My assumption is that something like a stray hair or a particle of dust got in one of the mics used for ANC/passthrough and was physically interfering with its operation, then whatever it was came out or got wedged somewhere harmless between then and next time I used them.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

KingShiro posted:

Zeos new video saying that the FiiO JT1 is the new Phillips SHP9500, at $69 is pretty good.

Not that Im in the market for another pair of headphones but bringing to other attention.

doesn't zeos like and recommend basically everything he reviews

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I picked up the artti t10 for $53 on sale and i'm like 85% certain this is just a letshouer S12 in a cheaper shell that tones down the treble spike. Which is a hell of a deal.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

wolrah posted:

I had this happen once with the Space Travels, the right bud just started making noises that had a loose correlation to my head movement in ANC or passthrough modes but not in normal mode, it kept doing this for the rest of the day, and then it hasn't since. My assumption is that something like a stray hair or a particle of dust got in one of the mics used for ANC/passthrough and was physically interfering with its operation, then whatever it was came out or got wedged somewhere harmless between then and next time I used them.

I've given it a few days and I reckon the input is compromised in one way or another, but if anything it's just gotten worse. Guess I'm gonna have to contact the shop.

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones to use with my pc at home.
I'm old, so I still spend a lot of time on the pc, and the headphones will be used for music and games mainly, with an emphasis on music. They can be wired.

For the last 12 years I've used Audio-Technica ATH-AD900X headphones and I think it's time for a change.
On that model I enjoy the light weight, the large cups / pads that go over the ears but don't seal things in, and I think I prefer the 'open' design so sound can filter in and out a bit.

Things i don't like - they are probably the slightest bit too loose, though this is an intentional design choice. The 'wings', which sit on the top of the head, clip in to the headphones and the connection point is cheap and breakable.

Essentially I'm looking for something similar, but slightly different. Any recommendations?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Dt990 comes to mind, light, comfortable large ear cups, more V shaped sound though.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I personally hated the 990 sound, but then again I didnt know about EQ at the time.

Cant go wrong with Sennheiser HD650 or 6XX

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm looking for wireless bone conduction headphones for gaming.

Use case: I recently purchased a Steam Deck and would like to minimize the sound to those around me while still being able to hear the world around me easily. I don't need a mic in the headphones for any purpose. I also want something that's not in ear so that those around me won't feel like I'm fully blocking them out.

Recent headphone experience: I'm currently using the Sennheiser Momentum 3 earbuds. I used Sony WF-1000-XM4, Sony WF-1000-XM3, and OG AirPods prior. I use these for listening to music and videos on my phone and laptop.

Budget: $100-$200 or a bit more is fine if needed, but don't need super high end or extra low latency for competitive gaming.

Other factors: I live in Japan so will likely buy from Amazon Japan or a local electronics store. This removes some options and adds others. I want to avoid Sony as I've had horrible battery life issues on both sets owned after about 14-16 months. XM4 got to the point they'd last about 30 minutes on a charge.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Aredna posted:

I'm looking for wireless bone conduction headphones for gaming.

Just be aware that they do not sound good. Think mid budget phone speaker at 90% volume. They produce coherent sound but it is not enjoyable or immersive or anything comparable to what comes out of actual headphones. Great for podcasts while running or swimming, not something I would ever consider for games.

Personally, I'd get something like koss KSC75 or KPH40i and listen at relatively low volume. They're effectively open back but they do not leak much sound, and you can still hear your surroundings. And they're cheap and actually sound great.

Also, you really do want some kind of low latency mode for bluetooth gaming, it isn't just for competitive stuff. The delay is visibly annoying even for single player stuff, something like 300ms with base SBC.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 29, 2024

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I would avoid bone conduction headphones for all but a very specific niche of use cases, such as swimming, or if you sweat like Casey Tatum. They leak a ton of sound, so you're not gaining anything over a simple set of open dynamic headphones, which sound better and are far cheaper. If you need to be aware of your surroundings, you're better off with something like Sony LinkBuds or the aforementioned Koss KSC75s (which are apparently popular with motorcycle riders due to their thin profile and open design).

For any serious gaming over wireless, you will want something with a proprietary dongle because most Bluetooth devices have latency ranging from ~180ms to 250ms (or even 600ms if we're counting the EarStudio ES100). Even the low latency mode on my ATH-M50xBT2s only shaves off about 20-30ms by my own estimation while severely reducing connection stability. Personally, I can tolerate Bluetooth headphones for games, but I wouldn't want to attempt speedruns with them or anything.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 29, 2024

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Rakeris posted:

Dt990 comes to mind, light, comfortable large ear cups, more V shaped sound though.

These are probably the best bet for open backs if you're trying to prioritize build quality and comfort for cheap. My DT 770s (which are closed back) are already on the limit of how much treble I can tolerate, however, and supposedly the DT 990 and DT 1990 are more extreme in that area, so be aware.

Drop x Sennheiser HD 58X are one of the cheapest ways to get into planar magnetics nice sounding open backs, but they seem to have done some cost cutting compared to other headphones in the HD 600 family. The drivers are plastic riveted into the earcups, so servicing and cleaning may be difficult or impossible. On mine, the horizontal earcup pivots rubbed and chattered and there doesn't seem to be any way to replace the rubber bushings responsible for it. On the plus side, they're not at all picky about audio source and they'll run off all but the most awful DACs without losing any sub-bass (which is not always a guarantee with open backs).

I would stay away from the Philips Fidelio X2HR. They look absolutely gorgeous, but that's about all the praise I can give them. The earpads are scratchy, the headband doesn't apply force evenly, and the sound profile is aggressively V-shaped in a way that sounds like a teenager went ham on an equalizer. The highs also had a strange coloration that I couldn't EQ out no matter what I tried. And depending on who the OEM was for your set, the earpads may be permanently glued on, so that's great.

The Hifiman HE400se are one of the cheapest planar magnetics you can buy new, but I can't vouch for them since I've never tried on a pair. I get the sense that there is a lot of reviewer hype around these based on their price and relatively recent release, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those times where my experience vastly differs from the general online consensus if I ever get an opportunity to try them out.

eddiewalker posted:

Those arent magneplanar, though?

Oops, I could have sworn I was told they were in an earlier discussion. Ok, I crossed that part out.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 29, 2024

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Zorilla posted:

Drop x Sennheiser HD 58X are one of the cheapest ways to get into planar magnetics,

Those arent magneplanar, though?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah Sennheiser hasn't gotten into planars, the 58X are dynamics. The 3 Hifiman headphones I've used over time have all been super comfy though, I can wear my Sundaras for hours.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

How do Shokz OpenMove compare to OpenRun? Use case likely entirely cycling outside.

Also, if anyone is interested, REI has Shokz OpenRun for $100 and OpenMove for $55 till March 31 and dividends just came out.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Personally, I'd get something like koss KSC75 or KPH40i and listen at relatively low volume. They're effectively open back but they do not leak much sound, and you can still hear your surroundings. And they're cheap and actually sound great.

I actually just bought both of these and really like them. I carved up the KSC75's which became my Quest 3's audio solution (via some 3D printed parts, a huge upgrade for the audio) and the KPH40 (non-i version if there's much difference) became my standard headphones for the deck/laptop use. I've tried the porta-pros before but the band on the KPH40 I found a lot more comfortable and no pinchy bits from a folding band. You can still hear the room around you fine, but the headphones can crank up too. I'm no audiophile so I don't have the language to describe exactly why I like these Koss headphones so much, but they sound more fun than better headphones I've had somehow?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

What is the upgrade from the Koss cheapies anyway? I'd want a comfier full cup headphone, open backed, and less than $175 (preferably as cheap as possible wherever the best bang/buck ratio in case they get eaten by a cat/my own stupidity).

Wireless would be nice and make them less enticing to the cat, but I don't really want to gently caress with bluetooth on my desktop and it seems like dongle wireless is always a headset with a mic I no longer want/need (this cheap fifine usb desktop mic is working great).

My youngest cat has been waging a war on headphones and they got my EPOS PC38X's cord twice (which thankfully was easily replaced and a cord cover made them lose interest), but recently I think they must've been loving with the boom mic because it stopped working unless you held it in the exact right spot. I switched to a desktop mic, but then decided one day (stupidly) to remove the boom mic from it and opened up the left headphone. I'm not a stranger to modding and repairing poo poo, but the hardware in the cup was kind of a crammed in mess and I might've hosed them up. I'm gonna try to repair them again sometime, but I got them cheap used so I won't be heartbroken if they are dead and need to be replaced.

TBH the longer I had the PC38x the more meh I felt on them since they weren't that comfortable and the sound quality compared to my other cheaper devices wasn't that significant. Maybe I'm a pleb and prefer a boomier sound to the finer details of the Sennheiser stuff I dunno. The earcup size was a bit awkwardly sized between the smaller earcups that sit on top of your ear and the headphones I've had in the past where they were big enough to enclose the whole ear (I think a long time ago my Audio Technicas and Philips were like that). I could probably have solved that with some aftermarket earpads but hadn't gotten around to it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think the go-to baby's first full open backs are still the 560S or HE400se.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

life of lemons posted:

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones to use with my pc at home.
I'm old, so I still spend a lot of time on the pc, and the headphones will be used for music and games mainly, with an emphasis on music. They can be wired.

For the last 12 years I've used Audio-Technica ATH-AD900X headphones and I think it's time for a change.
On that model I enjoy the light weight, the large cups / pads that go over the ears but don't seal things in, and I think I prefer the 'open' design so sound can filter in and out a bit.

Things i don't like - they are probably the slightest bit too loose, though this is an intentional design choice. The 'wings', which sit on the top of the head, clip in to the headphones and the connection point is cheap and breakable.

Essentially I'm looking for something similar, but slightly different. Any recommendations?

After looking over at my 990s sitting in my desk for ages, that I've not used (except to AB them once in a while) since I bought an LCD X, I'd let 'em go to a goon for cheap if you want to give them a go. They are the 250 ohm ones however.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FuzzySlippers posted:

My youngest cat has been waging a war on headphones and they got my EPOS PC38X's cord twice (which thankfully was easily replaced and a cord cover made them lose interest), but recently I think they must've been loving with the boom mic because it stopped working unless you held it in the exact right spot. I switched to a desktop mic, but then decided one day (stupidly) to remove the boom mic from it and opened up the left headphone. I'm not a stranger to modding and repairing poo poo, but the hardware in the cup was kind of a crammed in mess and I might've hosed them up. I'm gonna try to repair them again sometime, but I got them cheap used so I won't be heartbroken if they are dead and need to be replaced.

there is no such thing as a catproof headphone but the HD600 family (58x, 650, 6xx, 660s, etc) can all be taken apart and put back together completely without tools and have removable cables with lots of options. and they're legendary for sounding good as well.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
This discussion has made me dig out my KSC75-mounted-on-the-Parts-Direct-headband set for the first time in a while, they're so good. I wish I could find a just slightly firmer fitting headband, but not quite as tight as the Porta Pro headband

E: maybe I should just buy another pair of KPH30i instead, my niece took off with mine a couple of years ago

E2: ooh I just tried a different pad setup and this is the trick

trem_two fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 30, 2024

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I remember koss as bottom of the barrel, $5-from-a-gas-station headphone for when your good pair broke on a trip 25 years ago. I thought it was a knockoff brand of something for a long time. Now I'm learning they were first to market for stereo music headphones, lmao. And apparently are still cheap, but also good

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
they've had some extremely dire products over the years but the portapro / ksc75 and its variants are legendary for a reason.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Rakeris posted:

After looking over at my 990s sitting in my desk for ages, that I've not used (except to AB them once in a while) since I bought an LCD X, I'd let 'em go to a goon for cheap if you want to give them a go. They are the 250 ohm ones however.

I am very interested. The GF is an audiohead, and hasn't been able to afford a nice pair of cans to replace her old ones.

Feel free to PM

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

eh I dunno if the Sennheiser sound is my vibe. Besides the PC38x I've listened to a couple over the years that didn't wow me. I don't do competitive gaming at all so I don't care about footsteps accuracy and such. Poking around I found some talk of the X2HR which might be what I'm looking more for sound wise being somewhat bassy for an open back. I like that the cable is just a plain 3.5mm and they look sturdy and potentially comfier.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
did you listen to the HD600 series specifically? i'm not sure why you would write off an entire brand based on one set. also the x2hr has been discontinued for years.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

also the x2hr has been discontinued for years.

Which is why they were so cheap when when I went looking for open box units several months ago ($80). That's how they got me. For the reasons I mentioned on the last page, I recommend looking at something else. Sure, the sound profile is punchier than most other open backs, but it's done in such an awkward manner that it's not worth it.

FuzzySlippers posted:

The HD 58X is also bassier than the average open back, but still more music oriented. If you didn't like the PC38X, you might not like these either. Still, out of all the HD 600 family products, this one probably has the sound profile closest to what you're looking for.

Is open back a strict requirement? If you need to hear yourself talk while using a microphone, that's one thing, but if it's soundstage you're after, the DT 770 does pretty well for a closed back. The same warning applies as before when discussing the DT 990s about these being particularly bright headphones, so they may need some minor EQ in the 8 kHz region. Unfortunately, their cable is permanently attached and you have to step up to the considerably more expensive DT 700 PRO X to get a detachable one. Cable mods are a thing, but that's a dicey proposition for a headphone you just bought unless you're really confident in your abilities with a drill and soldering iron. I don't know how orange your cat is, but based on your description of the PC38X's internals, DT 770s seem like they're a million times easier to work on if it ever comes to the point where you need to replace the cable or install a jack.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 30, 2024

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Going from the Hd58x to the Pc38x and then back was really noticable, Hd58x sounds a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Open back is just so I can hear my environment better. If my wife shouts from the other room or my cats are throwing a fit somewhere I want to hear it unlike when I had closed cans and was dead to the world. I liked that aspect of the pc38x and I presume it helped them feel cooler temp wise. I haven't listened to any Sennheiser recently this was probably a decade ago when I was actually buying headphones in a store. At the time I purchased some expensive to me ATH cans ($100-$200) that I thought sounded better than whatever sets were there.

Audio stuff is weird to read reviews of because it's hard for me to connect some of the language to any kind of experience, but the talk of 'neutral' 'accurate' doesn't sound like fun pleb phones for someone playing casual games and listening to random music (what is now classic rock I guess, random poo poo like gogol or charles bradley, but definitely nothing that really needs accuracy like instrumental jazz or classical) where I don't need to rattle my teeth bass but I want it present. This has nothing to do with Senn or whatever being bad, but it doesn't seem like it's necessarily good for my pleb+ needs.

Yeah the x2hr is discontinued which makes them cheaper but the x3 doesn't use a standard 3.5mm cord which seemed like a pisser when people were saying otherwise they are very similar.

Zorilla posted:

I don't know how orange your cat is, but based on your description of the PC38X's internals, DT 770s seem like they're a million times easier to work on if it ever comes to the point where you need to replace the cable or install a jack.

he's pretty orange

Yeah, I saw a lot of praise for the DT 770s but replaceable cable without modding would be very hard to give up. I will take a look at the HD 58X though. How is the comfort compared to the PC38x? That's a major concern for me in headphones as I've got a big head and big ears, and the PC38x wasn't terrible but wasn't comfy either.

edit: I guess I sorta have a weak dac/amp now. I bought a cheap Sound Blaster (blast from the past name) X1 so I could position my headphone jack in a place less likely for the cat to gently caress with (he likes to lay on the computer next to the front audio port while the rear was taken up by speakers) via a long usb c cord. Dunno if that changes anything.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 30, 2024