Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Anyone else ever toggle their equalizer and think "what have I become" the second you hear zero bass all treble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

AEMINAL posted:

Anyone else ever toggle their equalizer and think "what have I become" the second you hear zero bass all treble

I assume we’re all like that and pretend we aren’t

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I might add +2-3 dB of sub-bass on some headphones (or notch out the excess treble on my DT 770s), but that's about it. My Bose QC 35 IIs, on the other hand:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
That’s uh a distinct house sound I guess that you’re correcting for

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i have a +6db shelf at 100hz for my old hd580s because otherwise there is literally no sub bass (but i love them anyway). the drivers handle it just fine but i don't think i'd push it any further.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Blessing 3 dusks are on preorder so I hoped everyone would sell their B2D.
Instead everyone is selling their blessing 3.

I want my waifu engraved ear jewelry, drat it!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Looking for some waterproof/dust resistant IEMs up to $150. My cheap tozos have lasted about 5 years but the charging contacts are starting to corrode.

e: I should say water resistant enough to shower in

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 3, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I picked up the artti t10 for $53 on sale and i'm like 85% certain this is just a letshouer S12 in a cheaper shell that tones down the treble spike. Which is a hell of a deal.

Okay I gotta talk about these because they are definitely made by letshuoer and I think they're the best planar they make. The S12 was already the least "planar timbre" planar iem I've heard, and the only love/hate aspect to it was a lot of treble from around 8k upward. This is not a bad thing, because it's a bit higher up than sibilance frequencies and the driver is very good, but it's very much a mood.

The artti t10 to my ears is basically the S12 with less treble shelf. Which is also how it graphs, to the point where I'm now 99% sure this is a (barely) retuned S12 driver. All the detail is there if you listen for it, but it's tuned more "normally" than any other planar i've heard so far. And it's fuckin 53 bucks on aliexpress. It's (slightly) better tuned than the S12 at 1/2 the price. It's better tuned than the Timeless, and it's 1/4 the price.

The downside is that the shell gives mild 1970s kitchen appliance vibes, I guess. It's hard to say anything bad about them other than they look utterly generic. Maybe i'm planar-pilled but i think these are the best iems you can get under a hundo and it isn't even remotely close.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 4, 2024

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
You're really tempting me to pick up a pair.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If you're in the market and have a spare $50, I really don't think you can do better. If you prefer more of a diffuse field or harman thing than a somewhat contrasty V shaped signature they might be a bit much, but I love em. My only complaint is there's something about the nozzle angle that made getting used to them weird at first for me, I ended up using smaller than usual tips. It's a very generic, unopinionated shape though so that's probably just my ears, and they're quite comfy now that I have them set up. Oh, the cable's nice too but i think bad cables are pretty much relegated to the KZ trash category at this point.

If you're looking for a planar, I don't think you need to spend more at the moment. I haven't tried the Simgots that people are raving about in the sub $100 category because my ears don't get on well with metal shells, so the artti is definitely my pick.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Yeah, I've been looking into getting a pair of Planar IEMs. I really like my HE4xx and wanted a portable version.

https://volkchoi.com/products/artti-t10-huge-planar-headphones-wired-in-ear-monitors-hifi-earphones

Is this the best place to get them?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I grabbed em off the official store on aliexpress but volkchoi probably has a better return policy.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Hi thread, I'm looking to replace some Sennheiser HD300 headphones since the cable has worn through. Initially I was looking at around £50, but I'm wondering how much of a difference I would get if I upped it to £100-£150? I've had various different styles and brands in the <£50 bracket over the years (Sennheiser, AKG etc.) and I haven't noticed much difference tbh. In terms of what I am looking for:

Budget: Up to £150?
Source: Android phone
Intended use case: Listening to music in the office
Preferred features:
- Wired, 3.5mm
- Replaceable cable would be nice, as that's what I tend to kill first
- Comfortable for long periods of time
- Would prefer over ear but in ear is fine if it would get me more for the money
- Usual genres: metal, folk, country, classical.
- Performance tastes: I like being able to follow individual instruments through a piece, if that helps describe my preferences!

Thanks in advance

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

spiderbot posted:

Hi thread, I'm looking to replace some Sennheiser HD300 headphones since the cable has worn through. Initially I was looking at around £50, but I'm wondering how much of a difference I would get if I upped it to £100-£150? I've had various different styles and brands in the <£50 bracket over the years (Sennheiser, AKG etc.) and I haven't noticed much difference tbh. In terms of what I am looking for:

Budget: Up to £150?
Source: Android phone
Intended use case: Listening to music in the office
Preferred features:
- Wired, 3.5mm
- Replaceable cable would be nice, as that's what I tend to kill first
- Comfortable for long periods of time
- Would prefer over ear but in ear is fine if it would get me more for the money
- Usual genres: metal, folk, country, classical.
- Performance tastes: I like being able to follow individual instruments through a piece, if that helps describe my preferences!

Thanks in advance

We are currently in the amazing IEM era so in ears definitely give more bang for the buck now. I have a pair of Moondrop Arias I got from Shenzhen Audio for 70 bucks and they’re super comfortable and great sounding. There are people in the thread who say there are even better options out there at the price point, so hopefully they can chime in.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

spiderbot posted:

For over ears, the AKG K361 / K371 is the obvious closed back, over ear choice in that price bracket, but you will get a ton more bang for your buck with in ears. My current budget pick is the Artti T10, other great choices are the Simgot EA500LM or EM6L, Kiwi Ears Cadenza, Truthear Zero Red or Hexa, Moondrop May, or Aria 2, Kefine Klanar. In no particular order of price or tuning.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Got a pair of Space Travels, it seems like the app currently doesn't work on iOS. Also they're really hard to take out without triggering a play/pause event. Otherwise they sound good, I'm looking forward to seeing how they do at the gym.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

qirex posted:

Got a pair of Space Travels, it seems like the app currently doesn't work on iOS. Also they're really hard to take out without triggering a play/pause event. Otherwise they sound good, I'm looking forward to seeing how they do at the gym.

I managed to get the game mode to turn on once and now I can’t get it to turn on or off lol. They are decent little headphones but they are super finicky.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at some wireless in-ear solutions for my desktop/phone (or something that can accommodate a loop in a helix piercing). I was looking at Sony WF-1000XM5s and front and center is 'Alexa Built In!'. What exactly does this mean, because if it means what it sounds like it means, this is a deal killer - I do not want any kind of Assistant poo poo on my IEMs. Can I turn this off? Does it have to be paired with an app to make that happen? Should I just get Sony WF-1000XM4s?

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

For over ears, the AKG K361 / K371 is the obvious closed back, over ear choice in that price bracket, but you will get a ton more bang for your buck with in ears. My current budget pick is the Artti T10, other great choices are the Simgot EA500LM or EM6L, Kiwi Ears Cadenza, Truthear Zero Red or Hexa, Moondrop May, or Aria 2, Kefine Klanar. In no particular order of price or tuning.

Thanks, this is really helpful! The Artti T10 and the Truthear Zero Red look good, but I really like the style of the 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 - how does that compare? Is there a recommended retailer for these? I'm a bit wary of fakes on Amazon.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

spiderbot posted:

Thanks, this is really helpful! The Artti T10 and the Truthear Zero Red look good, but I really like the style of the 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 - how does that compare? Is there a recommended retailer for these? I'm a bit wary of fakes on Amazon.

I'd call it a solid, if relatively uninteresting option for its price point. Certainly good for dipping your toes in the water, though I'd also consider the Chu 2, especially the DSP version if that works for you.

e: oh for retailers check out linsoul, hifigo or shenzhenaudio. i've ordered from linsoul and hifigo's amazon stores for the fast shipping and everything went fine.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 11, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Zero 2 is a solid IEM but its real standout point is that it’s one of the most comfortable IEMs I have.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

can anyone recommend a third party manufacturer of 650/6XX earpads, it seems like sennheiser isn't selling OEM spares anymore

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think I've been using these:

https://a.co/d/925IHGr

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

repiv posted:

can anyone recommend a third party manufacturer of 650/6XX earpads, it seems like sennheiser isn't selling OEM spares anymore
You can still find the official ones in stock in places, eg by searching for Sennheiser 050635 on ebay

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 16, 2024

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

repiv posted:

I really like my ZMF suede pads. There was some hype around them when they came out because they were apparently the first third party pads that didn’t royally gently caress up the sound signature of the headphones.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looking for recommendations for wireless earbuds. I have tried Apple AirPods and found them uncomfortable, and they broke, so we can at least scratch that brand off the list. My use case is primarily when laying down in bed at night and listening to music before I fall asleep. So they should ideally be comfortable when laying on your side, but I realize this is a tough one to figure out because everyone’s ears are different and what might be comfortable for someone isnt for someone else. But it’s a nice to have really.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
I'm on a journey to make my PC a secondary home theater when I lose mine to Bravo. This is my first stop and I'm already lost.

I was going to ask for a open back headphone rec primarily for movies, streaming services, and music. But now I'm wondering about IEMs as well after skimming the last few pages, enjoy my jabra 75ts so why not. Replaceable cable is a strong preference.

Budgeting about $1000 for everything without knowing what the hell I need yet, figured $500 for the audio, but don't want to burn money if not needed. I assume I need a DAC/amp? Been about 10 years since I even thought about buying something new, coming from a Superlux HD 681 and a not great HyperX wireless headset. If it's good for gaming that's just a nextra, not something super important.

And if anyone could point me in the direction to tune all this stuff in windows 10 that would be awesome, or if I need to buy any of the windows store stuff like Dolby Atmos or DTS Sound.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

homeless posted:

I'm on a journey to make my PC a secondary home theater when I lose mine to Bravo. This is my first stop and I'm already lost.

I was going to ask for a open back headphone rec primarily for movies, streaming services, and music. But now I'm wondering about IEMs as well after skimming the last few pages, enjoy my jabra 75ts so why not. Replaceable cable is a strong preference.

Budgeting about $1000 for everything without knowing what the hell I need yet, figured $500 for the audio, but don't want to burn money if not needed. I assume I need a DAC/amp? Been about 10 years since I even thought about buying something new, coming from a Superlux HD 681 and a not great HyperX wireless headset. If it's good for gaming that's just a nextra, not something super important.

And if anyone could point me in the direction to tune all this stuff in windows 10 that would be awesome, or if I need to buy any of the windows store stuff like Dolby Atmos or DTS Sound.

i don't think there's any great reason to spend $500 on iems basically ever but especially before knowing what kind of tuning you're into. also, without head tracking there is no such thing as headphone surround sound, do not waste time with anything that tells you otherwise. frankly, it's not worth much even with head tracking. you don't need anything fancier than a USB-C dongle for IEMs either, the $8 apple one is frankly overkill. i posted a bunch of "budget picks" above that would all be great as a starting (or ending) point.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm looking at some wireless in-ear solutions for my desktop/phone (or something that can accommodate a loop in a helix piercing). I was looking at Sony WF-1000XM5s and front and center is 'Alexa Built In!'. What exactly does this mean, because if it means what it sounds like it means, this is a deal killer - I do not want any kind of Assistant poo poo on my IEMs. Can I turn this off? Does it have to be paired with an app to make that happen? Should I just get Sony WF-1000XM4s?

This has been the norm on nearly all wireless headphones for years, sadly. It just means you can bind one of the buttons/gestures to a personal assistant using the mobile device app if you really want to. Usually, it's either off by default or nearly effortless to turn off in the app if needed.

The worst I've seen is the dedicated personal assistant button on my ATH-M50xBT2s that is right next to the volume controls and is easy to press by accident because it's raised up higher than they are. It replaces a touch surface on the first gens that didn't work 90% of the time, so I'm not too mad about its presence.

I own a set of Sony Linkbuds S, so my experience with the app should match yours pretty closely if you decide to go Sony. It provides some degree of input customization, including turning Alexa on or off. I will warn you that the WF-1000XM4s have a pretty bad reputation for battery failure that may extend to the XM5s.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
XM3 had the same battery problem for me, but it took longer to kick in than the XM4. Only friend I know with the XM3 had the same issue. It's a shame too because the XM3 had the best ANC of any I've used.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i don't think there's any great reason to spend $500 on iems basically ever but especially before knowing what kind of tuning you're into. also, without head tracking there is no such thing as headphone surround sound, do not waste time with anything that tells you otherwise. frankly, it's not worth much even with head tracking. you don't need anything fancier than a USB-C dongle for IEMs either, the $8 apple one is frankly overkill. i posted a bunch of "budget picks" above that would all be great as a starting (or ending) point.

I was def just throwing numbers out there to say I don't mind spending a bit more. I'm frugal to a fault and trying to open up a bit.

My post was a long way to ask if IEMs are a good fit for HT considering the bang for buck chat because it works for my use case, and do I need anything else for them to work as intended. Or if a headphone rec is actually the way to go. But yeah, considering my current options anything is an upgrade.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

homeless posted:

I was def just throwing numbers out there to say I don't mind spending a bit more. I'm frugal to a fault and trying to open up a bit.

My post was a long way to ask if IEMs are a good fit for HT considering the bang for buck chat because it works for my use case, and do I need anything else for them to work as intended. Or if a headphone rec is actually the way to go. But yeah, considering my current options anything is an upgrade.

I'm one of those people who can't wear IEMs for more than a few minutes at a time. If this sounds like you and you want something that will get you through a whole feature length movie in comfort, I'd probably go with a big, cozy closed back like the DT 770. There is something about the velour of their earpads that doesn't irritate my skin the way others do. Their V-shaped sound signature should pair well with movies too.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

I said come in! posted:

Looking for recommendations for wireless earbuds. I have tried Apple AirPods and found them uncomfortable, and they broke, so we can at least scratch that brand off the list. My use case is primarily when laying down in bed at night and listening to music before I fall asleep. So they should ideally be comfortable when laying on your side, but I realize this is a tough one to figure out because everyone’s ears are different and what might be comfortable for someone isnt for someone else. But it’s a nice to have really.

For that specific use case I'd suggest purpose built "sleep headphones" that use a fabric band and a thin speaker that goes over your ears rather than inside your ears. I have a super-cheap pair I got on a lark off AliExpress for < $10 and I was honestly shocked at how well they worked. I'm a side sleeper as well and these are much more comfortable then having something shoved inside my ear. Audio quality is honestly not bad considering and definitely good enough for anything I'd want to listen to as I fall asleep. Here's a link to something similar to what I have, but uses USB-C to charge instead of the ancient micro USB mine uses.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Zorilla posted:

I'm one of those people who can't wear IEMs for more than a few minutes at a time. If this sounds like you and you want something that will get you through a whole feature length movie in comfort, I'd probably go with a big, cozy closed back like the DT 770. There is something about the velour of their earpads that doesn't irritate my skin the way others do. Their V-shaped sound signature should pair well with movies too.

ditto, love my etymotics but after about 2 hours i just need to pull them out of my ear canal, and it's always a fair amount of time spent fussin to get the right seal and fit

whereas i can just throw on any of my sennheiser open backs and forget i have them on

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hope and vaseline posted:

ditto, love my etymotics but after about 2 hours i just need to pull them out of my ear canal, and it's always a fair amount of time spent fussin to get the right seal and fit

whereas i can just throw on any of my sennheiser open backs and forget i have them on

Etymotics sound great but they are the most challenging to fit IEMs that exist and there's a lot of people they straight up don't work for. Most IEMs, once you get the right tips, are nowhere near that intense.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah Etys are a special case, they sound so good but hurt so bad.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Thanks everyone for saving me from myself!

I'll order one of those apple dongles and choose a pair of IEMS that Dr. Fishopolis suggested. Thinking I'll also pickup a pair of comfy headphones too. Say I pick up the DT 770 - would I need something more to power it? I have an ASRock X470 motherboard with Realtek ALC892.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

homeless posted:

Thanks everyone for saving me from myself!

I'll order one of those apple dongles and choose a pair of IEMS that Dr. Fishopolis suggested. Thinking I'll also pickup a pair of comfy headphones too. Say I pick up the DT 770 - would I need something more to power it? I have an ASRock X470 motherboard with Realtek ALC892.

Nah, get the 80 ohm version and the apple dongle will be more than enough. I'd also consider the AKGs if you find the beyerdynamic treble to be a bit much, it can be intense even on the DT770 which is the least "beyer treble" beyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Budget - $300
Source - Windows laptop for Zoom/Slack calls. Noise cancellation for me and on the mic would be helpful as I work from home with small children in the house. Mic isn’t strictly necessary as the microphone array in my laptop isn’t terrible. I might use them for streaming music or podcasts but I will probably just keep using my Apple products for that.
Preferred Headphone features - I do not want buds, I have a pair of AirPod pros for personal use and I like them but I want wireless headphones.

I have enjoyed my sennheiser pc37x that I purchased via Drop years ago.