Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Mr. Mercury posted:

You'll probably love them, they're quite good

It's really tough to go wrong with those kinds of options

I've had them for a couple of days now and yup, I'm enjoying them! Something very apparent is the pads on my old 558's had become so flat that the drivers literally touched my ears; these new headphones are much more comfortable. I haven't A/Bed the audio quality between the two, but the 560S seems to have slightly better imaging than the 558, but again this wasn't scientifically done.

I went through with my order for replacement earpads (OEM) and the headpad (sadly can't find OEM) for the 558s and I'll restore them and will be nice to keep them around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Ah yeah, there's that- if anything touches your outer ear it'll compress it and make your auditory system less able to process spatial cues in the way that it's used to because, well, the outer ear is what first angles sound into your head-holes. If you find that your headphones stop working so well on imaging, it's possible the foam pads just need to be replaced because you've stressed the foam over the years

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Agreed - I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if these new pads restore the 558s to their former glory. Audiophiles seem to have a derisive opinion on the 560S (apparently they are very popular with youtubers and streamers) and said the older 5XX series did it better. Might just be old people being old and grouching about new poo poo. Who knows, I'm definitely not an audiophile and have tinnitus so I'm not the best judge.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Outside the grouchy old man world the 560S are very well regarded as the best entry point to Sennheiser’s range.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah I’m a grouchy old man and that or 6XX is my headphone rec at that price point

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Dogen posted:

Yeah I’m a grouchy old man and that or 6XX is my headphone rec at that price point

I looked hard at the 6XX, and I’m not gonna lie - I mostly chose the 560S over those because it uses the same cable as my 558s which has been routed neatly in my setup with ties and raceway. Was a very simple replacement and I can hot swap back to my 558s quickly.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Hey, whatever suits you best!

But yeah don't listen to audiophiles lol

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Alright, my previously suggested work headphones have turned out to be crap with no apparent way to recover.

My Jabra Evolve2 85 headphones have repeatedly been reported to have bad microphone quality, with nothing I’ve tried being effective. Sometimes power cycling with give me a few minutes of clear microphone quality before my voice degrades significantly. Including factory resets and updates to the latest firmware versions.

Sounds like from online reviews I’m not the only once suffering from these problems.

So…

Does anygoon have an updated recommendation for a headphone (in decreasing priority order):

Good mic quality
(Boom mic preferred but not required)
Over-ear
Connects to both phones and non-Bluetooth computer (either USB dongle or 3.5mm jack(s))
Can connect to more than 1 device at a time (I think 2 is the limit for Bluetooth?)
Good audio quality
Active voice cancelling

Price is generally not a huge factor, quality of sound and quality of microphone matter a lot to me in this instance.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I recently got a Polycom Voyager Focus 2 for my home office (you can find these open box for $150ish) and have been extremely happy with them. Wouldn't be my choice for on-the-go or serious media listening, but for meetings and seamlessly switching between my phone and work PC, they have been flawless. The Teams/Zoom integration is handy, too.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 5, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I had the Focus UC before my current Jabra and they were great for meetings. The old model had a flaw with the headband connection [it looks like they fixed it in the Fpcus 2] that meant they wore out after a couple years but as someone who spends at least 10 hours a week on calls it worked fine.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Interesting, I did not realize that Plantonics and Polycom have gotten bought/merged by HP.

Looking at the Voyager 8200 UC and Voyager Surround 80 UC. Website doesn’t do a great comparison but seems like the Surround 80 is slightly newer? Will read some reviews and check out one of them.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Picked up the new flagship sony anc earbuds (WF1000XM5) and find the ANC worse than the Bose QC2 & Airpod Pro 2... and the WF1000XM4?
Not sure why but anc on earbuds seem finicky from a model iteration standpoint

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

It's possible the seal is interrupted somewhere. Circular nozzle sleeves aren't really perfectly shaped for ear canals, so sometimes they bunch and fold upon insertion. Try a smaller size if you can

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

doing the opposite (switching to the largest L tips) worked out oddly enough

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

That can work too! Fit is a pain sometimes, but especially annoying with earbuds

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
After about a decade my Sennheiser hd598s stopped working right, so I got a ATH-AD900X instead, as they were on sale on Amazon.

Really happy with them. They should great. Very... atmospheric, for lack of a better term, like you're in the room with whatever music is playing rather than just listening to it.

They're kind of fragile though so I won't be taking them anywhere, but I have sony XM4s for that (which are also good).

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Is there a name for this type of connector? I think the cable might be crapping out. KZ ZSN pro X if that makes a difference

Edit: I could have sworn I attached the photo I took of it but must have fat fingered it. Apologies for my dumbness!

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 18, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

0.78mm 2-pin I believe, usually just called 2-pin.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Fantastic thanks!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My IEM company made a new one called Laserpants
The idea behind this one is to make something that has such extreme extension it makes even the most insane audiophile crumble. Mids = 17k!

[edit] this is too extended, fail for a tuning.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 21, 2023

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee
Hi guys, hoping someone can help me. My HyperX Cloud II wired headset has broken after a lot of use and I'm looking for a replacement/upgrade - ideally closed over-ear wireless headphones with a removable mic. I don't need ANC.

I've been considering the HyperX Cloud Alpha wireless or SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro Wireless but I'm aware there's probably better options in non-gaming brands. Long term I plan to get a separate desktop microphone so I'm not too bothered about the quality of the mic.

Budget is up to £300. I'll be connecting them to my desktop PC and using them a lot at home for work, music and gaming (in particular CSGO). Previously I've had wired sets of Sennheiser HD380s (which still work after 13 years) and my HyperX Cloud IIs (generally been happy with the sound, fit and weight, but the wire is annoying and the external wires on the headset ended up being what broke). Happy to answer any questions and any advice would be appreciated!

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Budget: $40ish
Source: a gatdamn iphone
Use case: phone calls, listening to music, youtube, home > commute > airplane are all places I use them
Preferences: basically none

Like 10 ish years ago (before iphone deleted the 3.5" connector) I got a pair of ME electronics iems I did not love or hate, they're now so old and brittle that I've finally split the insulation in half and its causing them to short.

What are the best like around $20 iphone headphone replacements rn? I've got the iphone branded 3.5"-lightning cable so I can just use whatever 3.5"s (also if anyone has a recommended alternative to one of these I'd be interested).

I've seen a lot of the chinese IEMs now have detachable cables which should theoretically solve my constant cable bending problems.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Get yerself a 7hz Zero.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
A couple weeks ago, I got it in my head that I wanted to start using my DT 770s over Bluetooth with my TV instead of the ATH-M50xBTs I've been relying on. On the recommendation of everybody's favorite internet hi-fi salesman, DankPods, I picked up a used Fiio BTR5. It lasted less than 48 hours before it bricked itself--and apparently, I'm far from the only one. While looking for information on how to recover this device, I discovered that a large portion of the people experiencing the same problem were fiddling with the EQ settings beforehand, which matches up with my experience entirely. Unfortunately, none of the methods posted on various forums for forcing a reset or entering DFU mode so I could re-flash firmware worked. My unit appears to be completely dead, apart from drawing about 3 watts from the wall when plugged into a USB charger.

I suspect the seller knew something was up because I received a full refund within 10 minutes of me opening a return request.

I then tried a refurb EarStudio ES100 MK2. This one seems to work exactly as advertised, but good lord, the latency. It has to be double or triple what I'm used to from Bluetooth devices. Everything up to this point has been around 150-200ms. The ES100 seems to have around 500-600ms of lag during games, which is totally unacceptable. The app has a buffer length setting, but that doesn't seem to have any effect at all. Latency and connection reliability are exactly the same whether the slider is set to 1 or 10 regardless of the codec being used. Even during media playback (which is supposed to compensate for lag automatically) it can't seem to cope, and there is still a small but noticeable amount of lag remaining when watching videos.

At this point, I don't know what the correct move is. I could try another BTR5, but what are the chances the next one has the exact same problem?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Try the Qudelix 5K. It's really well regarded for what it is.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/qudelix-5k-bluetooth-dac-headphone-amp.17386/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

osici posted:

Hi guys, hoping someone can help me. My HyperX Cloud II wired headset has broken after a lot of use and I'm looking for a replacement/upgrade - ideally closed over-ear wireless headphones with a removable mic. I don't need ANC.

This is not at all what you asked but I got a desktop mic and recommend it, maybe just take the plunge and get one of them + some headphones? Testing it my voice sounds quite a bit better, or rather less painful to listen to myself.

I got a Rode NT-USB Mini which is fairly inexpensive.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Alternatively usb mod mic and whatever kinda closed headphones ya want

ATHM50 or M70 maybe?

Dogen fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 23, 2023

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

That was a third option. I was originally put off by its comparatively higher price and lack of market share as well as not knowing if it, too, had abnormally high latency, but if there are no other options available, I may have to try it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Q5K has access to the aptX low latency codec, which should drop latency to the 40 ish ms range.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Mederlock posted:

The Q5K has access to the aptX low latency codec, which should drop latency to the 40 ish ms range.

I was looking at this earlier and saw that it had aptX Adaptive, not LL (which apparently is the newer standard which effectively accomplishes the same thing). The BTR5 had aptX LL support, but I couldn't get it to work with either of my desktop PCs, so I have my doubts about being able to use aptX Adaptive.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What are you using for bluetooth out on your PC's?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Mederlock posted:

What are you using for bluetooth out on your PC's?

My desktop uses an Intel 3168 and my HTPC has an Intel 8260 adapter. When I tried to look up codec information on Google, the #1 result was Intel just going:

Everything else is just the usual assortment of support bots and "me too" replies on various forums any time someone had a question similar to mine.

Edit: This suggests anything beyond standard aptX is not supported in Windows 10.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 23, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zorilla posted:

My desktop uses an Intel 3168 and my HTPC has an Intel 8260 adapter. When I tried to look up codec information on Google, the #1 result was Intel just going:

Everything else is just the usual assortment of support bots and "me too" replies on various forums any time someone had a question similar to mine.

Edit: This suggests anything beyond standard aptX is not supported in Windows 10.

My guess is that the logitech BT transmitters may be causing some of the issues here. The newest in bluetooth I/O hotness is the Qualcomm QCC3056 chip, but there's not many products out using it yet. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004229541783.html or https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004650524024.html seem like decent options. There's also other, slightly older transmitters on amazon that use a different chip that also say they do all the codecs (except LDAC because Sony). Probably worth the shot with those Ali ones though

e: yeah, anything that will be compatible with aptx LL or HD or adaptive will need to be done by the device itself, and will show up as a USB audio IO device instead of being handled by the internal Windows bluetooth audio drivers

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 23, 2023

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

njsykora posted:

Get yerself a 7hz Zero.

Just got these in the mail and am giving them a listen, its interesting because it feels like I'm probably getting better total sound but since everything's a lot more balanced than my sometimes well sealing but otherwise kinda low powered meelectronics they *seem* quieter. Of course compared to my sennheiser hd 598s there's like zero kick to the kickdrums.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sony bought Audeze.
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1694746654673367104?s=20

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Dunno how to feel about that.

I've only really used their more 'consumer grade' headsets (Penrose and Maxwell headsets), and I have mixed things to say about them, but I have mixed-to-negative things to say about basically every headset, so Audeze at least trying some goofy poo poo and making their stuff out of 'not cheap plastic' always put them a cut above the rest.

I'm guess an acquisition from Sony means the death of the interesting bits of the brand.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The new Pulse Elite headset and Pulse Explore TWS seem like the first products of this since they both use planar drivers.

A wireless over-ear headphone with Sony's ANC tech, and Audeze's drivers and tuning from their newest headphones (MM-500, Maxwell) would be a very compelling product.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah and since it's specifically the Playstation division doing this acquisition and they've been kinda crazy with audio for the PS5 it makes total sense if the gaming stuff was doing well for Audeze.

Godzilla07 posted:

The new Pulse Elite headset and Pulse Explore TWS seem like the first products of this since they both use planar drivers.

This I didn't know though, if those are tuned well (big if given Sony's current track record for TWS buds) they could be legitimately great. I have the Pulse 3D headphones and they sound better than I expected so maybe there's hope.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I received my Qudelix T71 today. The manual is a little bare bones so I'm still figuring things out. I've tried it as both a computer DAC and a phone DAC. It's really nice to have a 4.4 balanced output as well as a tiny screen. Two annoying things - you can change setting on the device but to fine tune things you need to use the Chrome.extension. it doesn't have Bluetooth so you can't use the app. Also my 3.5mm headphone and mic plug only works when not fully inserted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
I'm looking for advice on a headphone to buy.

Budget - I'm willing to pay up to $500, but I'd prefer to pay alot less.
Source - I'll be connecting the headphone to both my cheap android phone and my desktop windows computer.
Intended use case - I'll be using these while commuting on the bus + walking to the shops, and while lying in bed listening to music at night.
Preferred Headphone features:
- I really want noise reduction, the more outside noise the headphones can remove the better. This is the most critical feature by far, and I'm willing to sacrifice on other features and pay more money to get it.
- Headphones would preferably be wireless.
- I am 6'4 and sometimes find over-ear pieces that are too small to comfortably fit, so bigger head phones are better.
- I can sacrifice sound quality if it reduces cost or improves the headphones ability to reduce external sound. The most critical feature is external noise reduction.