Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That also happens if you drop Airpods incidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Earphone complaints: My Buds2 stopped pausing the music when I take both out. They don't even switch to speaker now, just keep playing through the set. Since I'm not used to this I don't pause before taking them out and I end up giving people a moment's listen of sometimes pretty angry rap.

I thought this may be a bug with the new update but lol, no, the Galaxy Wearable app has now re-labelled the In-Ear-Detection setting with In-Ear-Detection for Calls so I'm guessing this was a consciously chosen change that was made.

It's more than a bit silly. If people were complaining they want it to apply to calls and not to music, they could have two different toggles. We know that at least it works for calls when it doesn't for music, so they could even have made it necessary to turn it on for calls if you want it for music if they aren't entirely independent.

Sano
Jul 14, 2011
I was using a HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset. Somewhere along the way I stopped using the mic attachment and just used a blu yeti to speak to people. I can't tell if the HyperX Cloud II was high quality in sound. But it eventually snapped off its hinges and it became annoying to wear, still works but its just annoying now. There was nothing special I liked about it, except that it was affordable and worked. It also didn't hurt to wear for long periods of times. But now I'd like proper headphones.

What I hated is the wire would twist constantly into itself into a weird knot thing where I gotta hold it up and wait for it to untwist itself. Any way to avoid that nonsense?

Budget - $50-$150 Really rather go below $100 if its possible.

Source - Computer, Gaming, Discord, Video Editing.

Type - Over-Ears

Wireless sounds cool but it also sounds expensive and charging a battery doesn't sound fun. But I'll do it if the goons think I should join the wireless gang, its not a must.
Just has to sound good and feel comfortable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sano posted:

I was using a HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset. Somewhere along the way I stopped using the mic attachment and just used a blu yeti to speak to people. I can't tell if the HyperX Cloud II was high quality in sound. But it eventually snapped off its hinges and it became annoying to wear, still works but its just annoying now. There was nothing special I liked about it, except that it was affordable and worked. It also didn't hurt to wear for long periods of times. But now I'd like proper headphones.

What I hated is the wire would twist constantly into itself into a weird knot thing where I gotta hold it up and wait for it to untwist itself. Any way to avoid that nonsense?

Budget - $50-$150 Really rather go below $100 if its possible.

Source - Computer, Gaming, Discord, Video Editing.

Type - Over-Ears

Wireless sounds cool but it also sounds expensive and charging a battery doesn't sound fun. But I'll do it if the goons think I should join the wireless gang, its not a must.
Just has to sound good and feel comfortable.

I still have to pimp these in that price range

EPOS H6Pro - Open Acoustic Gaming Headset with Mic - Lightweight Headband - Comfortable & Durable Design - Xbox Headset - PS4 Headset - PS5 Headset - PC/Windows Headset

https://a.co/d/9DF6dLB

Do not pay that full price because the Amazon warehouse has them for $72 and that’s a fantastic deal imo.

They make closed ones as well but I prefer the open ones as I found they sounded better.

Either are a fantastic headset for the $100 range.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Sano posted:

This happens because you are, without realizing it, giving the headphones a twist when you take them off, put them on your desk, and then pick them back up later. The solution is to either not do that or check your cord every few wears to let the twist out.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I couldn't think of a better place to ask about sleep earphones. I like having a way to block/drown out periodic noises that would keep me awake. Constant noises don't bother me because I tune them out, it's things like my wife or dog snoring, neighbours being noisy, etc. which cause me problems.

I had some Bose Sleepbuds and I loving loved them, they were perfect - comfortable for side sleeping, played their variant of white noise ("warm static" which I'm told was very popular), lasted all night, had a nicely customisable alarm (I like to get up a lot earlier than my wife). After 2 years of use, their battery won't hold a reliable charge any more and they've stopped selling them.

I'm aware of their replacement "Ozlo" that are currently on Indiegogo, but they don't deliver to the UK before May. I bought some Anker sleepbuds and they're awful - uncomfortable materials (ear flange is too stiff), battery is unreliable, alarm is jarring. Does anyone else use anything similar?

What I want:
- Comfortable for side sleeping
- Customisable alarm volume at the very least
- Plays white noise, don't care about music or any audio from my actual phone
- Battery lasts 8h at a reasonable volume

I'd try to find second hand Bose sleepbuds but the concept of that is kind of disgusting.

Thanks for posting this, even if it's just stopping me from wasting time looking for something that probably doesn't exist on the market at the moment.

I'll just put up with not being able to side sleep with my air pods pro for another 3 months, while I wait for the Ozlos to launch.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
How do the AirPod max stack against QC45? I was watching dune last night with the QC thinking I’d be blown away by some epic audio but it was pretty meh. Thinking to cop the next APM when they add USB-C.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They’re good but not their price that hardly gets discounted good. Much like most Apple products. Better than the 35 to my ears never tried a 45 (I’ve heard the 45 is worse than the 35).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
There isn't really a bluetooth headphone i'm aware of that comes close to competing with wired for sound quality in that price bracket. They're generally made for comfort and convenience in mind over sound quality.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maudib Arakkis posted:

How do the AirPod max stack against QC45? I was watching dune last night with the QC thinking I’d be blown away by some epic audio but it was pretty meh. Thinking to cop the next APM when they add USB-C.

Are you on an iPad or Apple TV? Afaik there is some sound benefits to the AirPods in those cases.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Do you have earbuds? I’m not sure that the APM are really that much of a step up over such as AirPods Pro

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Bose's current "house sound" seems to be this extremely V-shaped "tinnitus" tune which supplies a weapons-grade amount of bass and everything above 10kHz sounds tinny and artificial no matter how you try to EQ it. I don't think it's the codec because it was AAC with a max bitrate of 192kbps when I inspected it. Nothing changes when plugged into an external source either.

I've auditioned the AirPods Max in the store using music I was familiar with and was pretty satisfied with the way they sounded. A little on the bright side, but that could have been right on the Harman curve for all I know. For $450, I'd be afraid to let them leave my desk, at which point, I may has well keep using my wired $130 DT 770s.

So, to answer your question: yes, the AirPods Max are the better headphone. Not that improving over the the QC 45's sound quality is all that difficult.

Dogen posted:

(I’ve heard the 45 is worse than the 35).

You probably heard that from me. I've lost count of the times I've brought this up so far.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There isn't really a bluetooth headphone i'm aware of that comes close to competing with wired for sound quality in that price bracket. They're generally made for comfort and convenience in mind over sound quality.

I'll give another shout-out to the Audio-Technica M50xBT2. They can be found for $150-200. If you don't need ANC and they're actually comfortable for you (a big "if"), their sound quality will surpass other Bluetooth headphones costing twice as much. Audiophile reviewer types don't seem to like the M50x that much, claiming it's only popular because of streamer hype, but I don't know what they're on about. They're a little midbass boomy, but that might be unit variance because my 1st gens weren't quite like that (and the 2nd gens have a built-in 5-band parametric EQ to help with that).

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 3, 2024

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Zorilla posted:

I'll give another shout-out to the Audio-Technica M50xBT2. They can be found for $150-200. If you don't need ANC and they're actually comfortable for you (a big "if"), their sound quality will surpass other Bluetooth headphones costing twice as much. Audiophile reviewer types don't seem to like the M50x that much, claiming it's only popular because of streamer hype, but I don't know what they're on about. They're a little midbass boomy, but that might be unit variance because my 1st gens weren't quite like that (and the 2nd gens have a built-in 5-band parametric EQ to help with that).

I found my set of M50x's were significantly more comfortable after switching out the stock pads for the perforated version of these: https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/prostock-designed-for-ath-m-series-headphones. I don't have any real experience with the BT version, but the plain-old wired version sounds a lot like any of the other closed back studio monitors I have around here. Maybe not 5/5 sound quality but easily 4/5.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Picked up a BD 700 PRO X and a Fiio k11 DAC and I couldn't be happier, I swear some songs sound like new with all that clarity

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zorilla posted:

I think it's because the wired M50x are not competitive with their plasticky clunky build, horrifying stock pads and midbass bloat that makes everyone sound like a radio announcer. Bluetooth standards for sound quality are lower, which makes them seem better by comparison. That said, for bluetooth cans they're not bad if you immediately buy new pads, and you can EQ out the midbass issue mostly.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
If I can get new QC45s for $186 or Sony WH1000XM5 for $230, is one worth it over the other? Is ANC even needed for working from home?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

KingKapalone posted:

If I can get new QC45s for $186 or Sony WH1000XM5 for $230, is one worth it over the other? Is ANC even needed for working from home?

I live in a neighborhood with all manner of loud shitheads ranging from your average straight-piped Nissan Versa enthusiast to helicopters blowing roofs off at 3:00 AM, so ANC is always appreciated no matter where I am. Both the XM5 and QC45 sound equally bad to my ears, but the Bose win out big time on comfort. The XM3/XM4 weren't amazingly comfortable, but the XM5s are big and clunky by comparison, and the earpads are really thin now for some reason. Also, the ANC is worse in practice than other top-tier models because the adaptive ANC (that you can't set to manual) keeps backing off the strength if you move your head even a small amount.

Do be aware that the Bose QC45 have worse Bluetooth performance, and it's a common complaint that they drop out frequently when connected to two devices at once. And as annoying as the adaptive ANC is on the XM5s, at least they still let you turn ANC off. Bose stopped letting you disable ANC with their current generation of products and I don't think it's ever coming back.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 11, 2024

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Are there better alternatives then? Also can wireless headphones be used with the screen on the airplane somehow?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

KingKapalone posted:

Are there better alternatives then? Also can wireless headphones be used with the screen on the airplane somehow?

Unfortunately, not at that price point. I still prefer the QC 35 II to either of them, but most of those are around 7 years old at this point and finding a used example that is both reasonably priced and hasn't been trashed by the previous owner(s) is only going to become increasingly difficult.

Edit: I totally forgot about Sennheiser Momentum 4s, which seem to be around $170-230 used. I have absolutely no personal experience with them, so I can't make a recommendation for or against them. You'll most likely be happy with the Sony WH-1000XM4s you went with though.

I don't think I've ever seen in-flight entertainment with Bluetooth connectivity, so you're almost certainly going to be plugging your headphones into the jack they provide (usually on the armrest). Thankfully, those dual mono jacks are mostly a thing of the past. I think Bose stopped including airplane adapters for those with the QC 35 Series I.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 12, 2024

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Zorilla posted:

Unfortunately, not at that price point. I still prefer the QC 35 II to either of them, but most of those are around 7 years old at this point and finding a used example that is both reasonably priced and hasn't been trashed by the previous owner(s) is only going to become increasingly difficult.

I don't think I've ever seen in-flight entertainment with Bluetooth connectivity, so you're almost certainly going to be plugging your headphones into the jack they provide (usually on the armrest). Thankfully, those dual mono jacks are mostly a thing of the past. I think Bose stopped including airplane adapters for those with the QC 35 Series I.

And wireless headphones can become wired when needed for something like this then?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

And wireless headphones can become wired when needed for something like this then?

Some have that feature, sure, but there also exists a device that has a battery and will take a 3.5mm source and convert it to Bluetooth, sending to a pair of paired headphones. There may be some sync considerations though if you are watching media this way..

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a drat good deal

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/epos-h...p?skuId=6482717

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

KingKapalone posted:

Pretty much any over-ear wireless headphone I can think of will allow you to plug them in and use them like a wired headphone if needed. Some are more proprietary than others. The cable for Bose headphones is 2.5mm at the headphone and 3.5mm at the other end. AKG K371BTs use Mini-XLR. The Apple AirPods Max will need a Lightning adapter. Most other headphones will use 3.5mm on both ends, but the jack will be inset in such a way that it will only fit the provided cable (or one with a same diameter surround or smaller). I assume that is done for durability reasons.

Some Bluetooth headphones will only work in wired mode while powered on (like the Soundcore Q45, which might defeat the purpose if your only use case is when you run out of battery), but others may work in either mode.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Okay, headphones thread, I'm looking at maybe getting some nice (to me) headphones. I currently use some Samsung Galaxy Live earbuds and they're... ok. I kind of feel like they're impacting my hearing, even though I don't listen to them very loud, and I don't like how the positioning of them in my ear affects the sound so much.

Kind of looking for something $200-$300 ish, over-the-hear, bluetooth. I plan on using them with my smartphone while either working or jogging. I actually really don't like active noise cancelling, it makes me feel weird.

I've kind of been eyeing some Sennheisers because a bunch of friends have them and they sound fine to me.

I am curious how they compare with Grado - I have heard good things about Grado headphones (and have a Grado cartridge on my record player, which sounds great) but have never heard their headphones myself.

I'm not certain I will buy some, but I'm getting my bonus check on Friday and have a little extra money to spend this month.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Zorilla posted:

Pretty much any over-ear wireless headphone I can think of will allow you to plug them in and use them like a wired headphone if needed. Some are more proprietary than others. The cable for Bose headphones is 2.5mm at the headphone and 3.5mm at the other end. AKG K371BTs use Mini-XLR. The Apple AirPods Max will need a Lightning adapter. Most other headphones will use 3.5mm on both ends, but the jack will be inset in such a way that it will only fit the provided cable (or one with a same diameter surround or smaller). I assume that is done for durability reasons.

Some Bluetooth headphones will only work in wired mode while powered on (like the Soundcore Q45, which might defeat the purpose if your only use case is when you run out of battery), but others may work in either mode.

OK I'm going to get my wife the XM4s.

What headphones to people get little kids? I see all the pink ones that mention kid in the title and are $20, but I imagine there are better non-kid focused ones also for $20?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

KingKapalone posted:

OK I'm going to get my wife the XM4s.

What headphones to people get little kids? I see all the pink ones that mention kid in the title and are $20, but I imagine there are better non-kid focused ones also for $20?

Depends on their age and how much you trust them. Headphones made for kids are usually cheap because they're understood to be disposable because they'll get broken at some point, and much more importantly, all the ones I've seen intended for kids have a hard volume limiter to keep your kids from accidentally giving themselves permanent hearing damage.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 12, 2024

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
That all makes sense. I was mainly curious if there's some crap ones that get by in the "kids" label while another model might cost the same, have similar features, but sound much better. Obviously we're talking $20 so that's relative.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

KingKapalone posted:

That all makes sense. I was mainly curious if there's some crap ones that get by in the "kids" label while another model might cost the same, have similar features, but sound much better. Obviously we're talking $20 so that's relative.

I mean nearly everything in the headphone world that's explicitly marketed as for kids is pretty crap because there's really no point to having something that sounds "nice" to someone older when it's a product made with the understanding that it's going to become e-waste once a kid breaks it or outgrows it. Also the inclusion of a hard volume limit (which tbh is the most important feature) usually means a company isn't going to give a poo poo about how the headphone sounds anyways. Etymotic did make a "kids" version of their IEMs (Ety Kids) but I don't think they make them anymore if that was a route you wanted to go down.

If you want to get away from the "kids" category and give your kid like actual not e-waste headphones, then you'll have to make a judgement call as to how much you trust your kid to not break what you give them, and how much you trust them to not turn the volume up and blow their eardrums out.

From there, you have a few options; you could give them some inexpensive headphones like maybe a Koss KSC75 (if they fit them ok) and maybe the Parts Express mini headphones that everyone scavenges the headband off of to make DIY Porta Pros (or just buy Porta Pros), or whatever "real" headphone you want to give them, and then let them only listen to music from a source that allows for volume limiting.

Otherwise, get like one of those Kidz Gear volume limit cable adapters off Amazon and affix it to the end of the headphone cable (and then do something to make it semi-permanently attached or whatever so your kid can't just take it off and plug in to whatever source, or in case you have to replace the adapter) to DIY your own volume limiting headphones. You may have to stack adapters to get more reduction since they're dumb adapters (so you may need to get a dB meter or just wear them yourself to see how loud it can get).

All in all though, your kid's hearing safety is absolute priority; everything else should come second.

As an adult, I have permanent hearing damage because of how I treated listening to stuff back when I was a kid (as loud as possible); I would have loved to have had someone remotely give a poo poo about my hearing safety to have properly discussed the consequences of too-loud listening, and given me headphones that I could have used to safely listen to stuff until I was responsible enough to not need the hand holding.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How do the Galaxy Buds 2 measure up to what's currently popular? I've used a couple of generations of galaxy buds, liked them, lost them do some kind of damage over time. I'm not married to the brand, but I wouldn't mind using something I'm used to. I wanna use them while running and such so if they're worse than previous generations for that I'd like to know.

Are the pros substantially better?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

I mean nearly everything in the headphone world that's explicitly marketed as for kids is pretty crap because there's really no point to having something that sounds "nice" to someone older when it's a product made with the understanding that it's going to become e-waste once a kid breaks it or outgrows it. Also the inclusion of a hard volume limit (which tbh is the most important feature) usually means a company isn't going to give a poo poo about how the headphone sounds anyways. Etymotic did make a "kids" version of their IEMs (Ety Kids) but I don't think they make them anymore if that was a route you wanted to go down.

If you want to get away from the "kids" category and give your kid like actual not e-waste headphones, then you'll have to make a judgement call as to how much you trust your kid to not break what you give them, and how much you trust them to not turn the volume up and blow their eardrums out.

From there, you have a few options; you could give them some inexpensive headphones like maybe a Koss KSC75 (if they fit them ok) and maybe the Parts Express mini headphones that everyone scavenges the headband off of to make DIY Porta Pros (or just buy Porta Pros), or whatever "real" headphone you want to give them, and then let them only listen to music from a source that allows for volume limiting.

Otherwise, get like one of those Kidz Gear volume limit cable adapters off Amazon and affix it to the end of the headphone cable (and then do something to make it semi-permanently attached or whatever so your kid can't just take it off and plug in to whatever source, or in case you have to replace the adapter) to DIY your own volume limiting headphones. You may have to stack adapters to get more reduction since they're dumb adapters (so you may need to get a dB meter or just wear them yourself to see how loud it can get).

All in all though, your kid's hearing safety is absolute priority; everything else should come second.

As an adult, I have permanent hearing damage because of how I treated listening to stuff back when I was a kid (as loud as possible); I would have loved to have had someone remotely give a poo poo about my hearing safety to have properly discussed the consequences of too-loud listening, and given me headphones that I could have used to safely listen to stuff until I was responsible enough to not need the hand holding.

Sorry to hear that. Thanks though, sounds like the kids ones will be fine.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Black Griffon posted:

How do the Galaxy Buds 2 measure up to what's currently popular? I've used a couple of generations of galaxy buds, liked them, lost them do some kind of damage over time. I'm not married to the brand, but I wouldn't mind using something I'm used to. I wanna use them while running and such so if they're worse than previous generations for that I'd like to know.

Are the pros substantially better?

I own the Buds 2, Buds 2 Pro, and Buds FE (Samsung just keeps including them at prices I can't turn down when I buy new phones). I can't say I've compared them to any of their competitors, but all are solid. I honestly don't notice the a huge sound quality difference between the 2 Pro's and the other two, but I've also come to the conclusion that I'm not super picky about subtle differences that others in this thread might pick up on.

The 2 Pro's are the worst fitting for me. I had to use the largest ear tips to pass the 2 Pro's "fit test" and I've never had to use anything over medium in any other earbud. The regular 2's fit me very well, but I've heard other people have issues with them so your mileage will vary. My only complaint with the regular 2's is that the touch controls are a little inconsistent and the rounded bud makes for a poor "target" for your fingers. The FE is the best fitting of all the current generation for me. The flat control surface makes for a much easier "target" as well. If they'd kept wireless charging and "touch the edge" volume control in the FE it'd be my perfect bud. If you can live without those features and the price makes sense I'd just pick up the FE's.

All three have similar ANC performance to me and it works great as needed. I now just bring one of them with me on shorter flights rather than my bulkier over-ear ANC headphones and they do just fine.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I don't have a wireless charger, and I generally like my on-bud controls to be simple if I'm hitting stuff while running, so the FE looks pretty tempting to be honest. Gonna see if other people have input too before I decide, but you've been a lot of help, thanks!

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I need a recommendation for the most indestructible wired earbuds you have.

No, that's too indestructible.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Black Griffon posted:

I don't have a wireless charger, and I generally like my on-bud controls to be simple if I'm hitting stuff while running, so the FE looks pretty tempting to be honest. Gonna see if other people have input too before I decide, but you've been a lot of help, thanks!

If you're running with them then that's even more of a vote for the FE from me. The volume control on the higher end models is nice, but once I get sweaty it sometimes triggers false touches so I have to turn it off while running. The nice flat target on the FE that's easier to hit accurately while running. The only mark against them is that they're not as waterproof as the Buds 2 Pro, but the Buds+ have the same water rating as the FE and I've run thousands of miles in my pair of Buds+ in Seattle weather and never had an issue.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 16, 2024

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I need a recommendation for the most indestructible wired earbuds you have.

No, that's too indestructible.

What are you destroying? If you burn through cables, I'd just go through the $20 IEMs coming out of China, e.g. 7Hz Zero 2, since they all have replaceable cables as standard now.

Modern TWS are better for working out if you're destroying them through sweat or water intrusion. I should write a more full review of the Galaxy Buds FE I have as my current gym headphones. They're very solid for like $50 on sale.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

harrygomm posted:

my third gen airpods are on their way out and i'm moving away from the apple ecosystem. i primarily listen to speech rather than music, anc is nice i guess but not critical.

i picked up the moondrops recommended a few pages back. the biggest problem is that they're very quiet. at max volume, they're about the same volume as airpods at half volume. also, anc being active magnifies wind noise, so i can't wear them outside. i don't know if that's standard for anc or not.

i'm not opposed to spending more than $25 but i don't see a reason to spend more than MSRP for another set of airpods or beats or whatever that would work with android devices. are there any other similar form factor devices between the moondrops and airpods/beats that are worth looking at?

Samsung buds?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Be aware that Samsung buds only have an Android app, so if your intent is to continue using an iPhone without succumbing to vendor lock-in, Samsung devices may not be a good choice unless you have reliable access to an Android device so you can make changes to its configuration (device name, EQ, pairing history, etc.).

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Picked up the open-back epos h6pro for home office / gaming, they sound great! Kept waiting for a $100 deal like they had last December, got tired of that and rolled the dice on Amazon open box with no regrets.

I also got some M50Xbt2 for the office at work. Never had over the ear wireless before, the convenience is nice there. They sounded flat and strange at first, then I realized Spotify had reset my EQ and quality settings. In fact I was coming here to ask for recommendations on a Windows system-wide EQ app but see now I should use the smartphone app to set it and it'll save to the cans, neat.

Thanks for the discussion in this thread! The last thread recommended a Superlux set that sounded great and lasted nearly a decade, but it was time for an upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

For the handful of nerds in the hobbyist/IEM space, it looks like the B&K 5128 test fixture is here to stay (and also some interesting findings wrt preference scores and ear canal impedance toward the end of the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-07yI5abm8

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 16, 2024