Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I've been using some steelseries headphones on my PC for a few years and they've been fine. Recently the pleather on the padding has started to shred, which while unsightly doesn't affect the performance. What is weird however is I've just noticed that certain frequencies are almost totally inaudible - I'm trying to create a music round for a pub quiz I'm writing, and I've discovered that the opening guitar in "Wish You Were Here" is quiet to the point of being almost undetectable. I turned them up as loud as they'd go and then nearly burst my eardrums when the second guitar comes in after a minute. Now I'm wondering how long they've been hosed. Is this a common problem with headphones or am I just unlucky? Is there anything to do to fix them or are they just hosed? What should I be looking at for replacing them in the €100 - 150 range? (I hate gamer aesthetics but I'll be using them for everything I do on my PC so listening to music, podcasts, gaming etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

MarcusSA posted:

Do you want something with an attached microphone?

Yeah, my current pair has the microphone on a 3.5" jack which I like because then I can remove it when it's not in use. I can see that other steelseries headphones have a retractable microphone which I would also like but I'm slightly wary of the brand now.