Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I ended up keeping my Audeze Maxwell set, but only just.

6 weeks into ownership, my opinion hasn't really change: They sound great! Their software features are dogshit. Their input priority makes no sense and in a constant source of frustration. The wireless is impressive for receiving, but is very spotty for sending. I can walk around the house and hear output all the time, but I can't go more then 20ft before I can no longer talk in Discord. Oh, and speaking of Discord: The mic sounds terrible in Discord. I've fiddled with that poo poo so much, and they even have documentation about making it sound better, but hours and hours of messing with it and it's still easily the worst sounding (and most expensive) mic in my collection.

I've resigned to just using my old HyperX Cloud IIs for games where latency matters (GGST, SF6, etc.) and also for games where I have to talk (WoW, Dota) then manually switching back to the Maxwells for everything else.

As a *gaming* headset, the OG HyperX CLoud IIs are just better for less then a 1/3rd the price.

I'm still on the hunt for someone to actually do a Wireless headset right. :(

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

yep, mostly the same experience

i haven't noticed the mic issues in discord though or the mic range issues. do you use yours in xbox or pc mode?

the mic on mine acts weird in pc mode, but fine on the xbox setting (and also fine on my mac in PC mode). i do notice that it sounds like the mic volume is tuned poorly and clips a lot unless i keep the boom pretty far from my mouth. probably all of this stuff could be fixed with a SW/FW update, but not holding my breath because of how janky it is right now.

overall i'm happy with it because it's a big step up from my hyperx cloud flight, and i'm never going back to a wired PC headset so this is probably as good as it gets for the time being

I have a PS5 set, but I've toggled it between PS5 and PC with no audible difference :(.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dunno how to feel about that.

I've only really used their more 'consumer grade' headsets (Penrose and Maxwell headsets), and I have mixed things to say about them, but I have mixed-to-negative things to say about basically every headset, so Audeze at least trying some goofy poo poo and making their stuff out of 'not cheap plastic' always put them a cut above the rest.

I'm guess an acquisition from Sony means the death of the interesting bits of the brand.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I am stunned that Bose would make something terrible.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

It has some really good EQ features. Also has galvanic isolated USB connection.

I too love spending money on snake oil. I hope they sell me gold plated connectors too, because you know, that makes the bits REALLY good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at some wireless in-ear solutions for my desktop/phone (or something that can accommodate a loop in a helix piercing). I was looking at Sony WF-1000XM5s and front and center is 'Alexa Built In!'. What exactly does this mean, because if it means what it sounds like it means, this is a deal killer - I do not want any kind of Assistant poo poo on my IEMs. Can I turn this off? Does it have to be paired with an app to make that happen? Should I just get Sony WF-1000XM4s?