Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The new Pulse Elite headset and Pulse Explore TWS seem like the first products of this since they both use planar drivers.

A wireless over-ear headphone with Sony's ANC tech, and Audeze's drivers and tuning from their newest headphones (MM-500, Maxwell) would be a very compelling product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

loudog999 posted:

My Bose AE2s are finally falling apart and I’m looking to replace them. I only use them at night with my iPad to watch movies, music videos on YouTube, and game some on my steam deck/switch. I want something wired so I don’t have to deal with pairing or charging, and comfortable enough to wear for a couple hours before bed. My budget is around $150, preferably less. I’ve been looking at the sennheiser HD 599 and 569, which are $139 and $99 on Amazon right now. Would you guys recommend either of those for my case or are there better options out there?

JBL Tune 710BT is a well-tuned headphone for like, $80. While it has Bluetooth, it sounds the same wired and unpowered unlike many Bluetooth headphones. Just make sure you buy from a retailer with good return policy in case you find them uncomfortable.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah the Apple ANC (AirPods Pro and various newer Beats models) is really a gamechanger

it’s insane how much both Apple and Beats have seen their respectability shift when it comes to sound quality from where it was 10-20 years ago (I know Apple had some decent-ish buds in the mid 2000s, I had a pair and they were only ok albeit an improvement from the early pack-in EarPods), but having nigh-unlimited money and scale and resources and actually giving a poo poo about something will do that for a company

The big difference between headphones and IEMs released under the Beats brand and Apple directly beyond Beats caring about Android compatibility is that the Beats devices go for a more V-shaped sound signature:

My AirPods Pro 2 review after spending most of this year with them: I regularly think about selling everything except for my AirPods Pro 2, and Sennheiser HD600. Broadly speaking, APP2 moved to a more modern tuning inspired by the Harman in-ear research as opposed to the Etymotic/diffuse-field tuning of AirPods Pro 1. The audiophile meme of "veil lifted" does apply when moving from APP2 from APP1. Treble goes from kinda non-existent to noticeable, and the bass went from polite to something that's emphasized. The bass emphasis does not mean it bleeds into the mids like with the Sony-WH1000XM* headphones, nor is the sub-bass exaggerated like it is on AirPods Max.

The two standout sonic qualities are the DSP tricks, and the mids. APP2 are great for listening at lower volumes as they dynamically adjust bass and treble with volume to achieve equal loudness. The mids are flat-out great, sounding a lot more speaker-like than many current consensus well-tuned IEMs, e.g. the Truthear Zero Red I use as my IEM for when I'm in the office. Those IEMs sound like they have a hole in the mids now, resulting in electric guitars and male vocals lacking body.

Rather interestingly APP2 is more target-compliant in the mids with the newer targets developed in the community following people getting their B&K 5128s than IEMs developed with previous-gen measurement equipment. While I'm not sure if the 5128 is really an advancement over previous-gen measurement equipment for headphones, it does seem promising for better-sounding IEMs.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

panic state posted:

I need earbuds! These skullcandies are uncomfortable (the housing digs into my ear) and WAY TOO LOUD. I can hear the quantization noise from my DAC! I want a pair that are quiet enough that I can turn the volume way up on without damaging my ears. Wired is a must, rubber seal is a must, budget $30-$150. I used to have a pair of Etimotic ER2SE's, and those things straight up didn't work on the airplane (one ear had no bass). They later broke completely, so these either need to be DURABLE or so cheap it doesn't matter. I'd like a pretty flat response as well since I do music production, but no biggie as long as the highs have clarity. Most important aspect is quiet, so I can push the gain for a low noise floor.

Try the Truthear Zero:Red at $55, which is neutral with a bass boost. While you can go even cheaper and still get something pretty decent (7Hz Zero, Moondrop Chu), I'd say the Zero:Red is worth the extra money over the $20 category solely for its more satisfying, impactful bass. The midrange is solid, and the treble is very well-controlled on the Zero:Red. There's an impedance adapter in the box if you want more bass, which will also make it a little harder to drive.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Your new DT770 could be brighter due to unit variation:

While the boosted treble of DT770 isn't an issue in the applications I use it for (monitoring, gaming), I don't reach for it when I want to listen to music. The boosted treble throws off timbre, and introduces real issues with sibilance. (Some engineers like this aspect of the DT770 because it allows them to easily check for sibilance.)

These days, I'm in the camp of "the best closed back headphone is an IEM." I'd take a $55 Truthear Zero:Red over a DT770 for music.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

$350 headphones with worse channel balance than $20 IEMs :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGgUHizPjg0&t=75s

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Truthear Zeros aren't the most ergonomic IEMs due to the shell shape and nozzle size. I find them less comfortable than the Moondrop Blessing 2, another IEM known for its big nozzles.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

My last 2 pairs of Pixel A Buds both ended up failing in the same way. The right ear bud's volume is extremely quite and off balances it with the left one. It's so annoying hearing loud in one ear. It's happened in the past a few times and usually a good solid cleaning fixes it but this time it won't.

Looking for recs on a new pair of buds. I want avoid Pixel A obviously but unsure if the Pros would be any better.

Budget:$200 (Not in a big rush so I will wait till Black Friday sales start popping up)
Source: Pixel 8 Pro
Use case: Podcast, Music, youtube listening. Just your general use from a nonaudiophile .
Preferences: Basic touch controls, and 5+ hour battery on charge.

Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro are on sale for $160 for Black Friday everywhere

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

qirex posted:

Honestly I think it captured so much attention in part because of the sweet animated spectrum graph on the display. A lot of people shopping for that kind of thing were probably also looking at companies like Benchmark which is even more expensive but with fewer features.

RME have made a concerted marketing effort towards the audiophile market. For example, RME sent a rep to the show I went to earlier this year, and they've paid John Darko:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJQIPymJGk

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm trying to figure out bluetooth audio simultaneous in/out on Windows. When my wife was trying to use bt earbuds with built in mic to chat with people on discord while watching a movie the audio goes all terrible once she says anything. It seems like it switches the audio output to some crappy mono thing when chatting. I can find a decade of random posts about this issue and I can't tell if this is just how it goes with bt or its a limitation of the earbuds and/or bt receiver not supporting a fancier protocol.

Does she need to upgrade those (adapter or ear buds) or should she pick up a bt lapel mic to work around the issue? She hates headsets/big headphones which often have dongles so trying to figure out an earbud friendly setup.

The short answer is that it's a Bluetooth limitation. If she's fine with wired audio, you might want to try a pair of cheap wired in-ear monitors with a mic first.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I bought a pair of Grados off Head-Fi's recommendation around 2010. They broke within a month because the cable had no strain relief, and was non-replaceable.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I’m not sure he’s willing to change it on refurbs. What about new at that price point?

JBL Tune 760NC, Final Audio UX3000

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I need a recommendation for the most indestructible wired earbuds you have.

No, that's too indestructible.

What are you destroying? If you burn through cables, I'd just go through the $20 IEMs coming out of China, e.g. 7Hz Zero 2, since they all have replaceable cables as standard now.

Modern TWS are better for working out if you're destroying them through sweat or water intrusion. I should write a more full review of the Galaxy Buds FE I have as my current gym headphones. They're very solid for like $50 on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mr. Mercury posted:

For the handful of nerds in the hobbyist/IEM space, it looks like the B&K 5128 test fixture is here to stay (and also some interesting findings wrt preference scores and ear canal impedance toward the end of the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-07yI5abm8

The first part of the talk is a useful overview of the history of the Harman headphone research for those interested, though I prefer the paper that Olive himself wrote in Acoustics Today as the definitive summary of the Harman headphone research.

SoundGuys wrote a synopsis of the AES paper that Olive talks about in the back half of his talk (since the paper validated their 5128-based house curve.) Interestingly, they were able to reverse-engineer HP3 as the AirPods Max, which was in the same top-ranked cluster as the Harman targets.