Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You could just get a Bluetooth receiver like the Fiio BTR series or Qudelix. That would only make the 7506's cord slightly less unwieldy, though. I still like those other than the cord and having to replace the pads every few years. Wired plus a device might be the way, though. I am entirely satisfied with my Elegia and BTR7 combo for desk and couch listening. Plus you can shop for headphones without worrying about your budget going towards noise canceling and mics and such. That said you would still be dealing with a cord to some degree which definitely changes the vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Scythe posted:

This was helpful. I think a cord at all is just going to be too annoying in this use case, so I'm gonna have to deal with ANC/etc. I'll take a look at the Airpods Max and the two generations of Sonys. Thanks!

There's a lot from the usual suspects in headphones like AKG, Audio-Techinca, Sennheiser, etc. as well I just have no experience with them. If you're looking at the Airpods Max maybe give the Focal Bathys a glance as well, they're very well reviewed and just got a $100 price cut.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Not a Children posted:

For me - I'm looking for a good noise cancelling headset to use in my home office. Preferably either wired or with a USB dongle, as my office setup entails using a USB switch to swap my headset, mouse and keyboard between my home computer and work docking station. I currently use Bose QC35 iis with an aftermarket boom mic; while the headset itself is great, the mic constantly swivels and needs a 2.5-3.5mm adapter and after 3 years I'm just sick of it. Tried a couple that "click" into the headset and they all had loose connections that would constantly generate static noise. I would like something of similar comfort, as I tend to wear the headphones all day. Noise canceling is also important because I get a lot of road noise by my office. Hoping to keep it under $300 but I'm willing to stretch.
I just got a Jabra Evolve2 65 Flex and I like it, it has the crucial headset features: boom mic, status LED on the dongle, dedicated mute button on the headset, pairs with computer and phone at the same time. I was coming from a similar Plantronics Voyager Focus, I don't think it's much different. The noise canceling is not Bose class by a stretch but it works and the mic is decent at rejecting outside noise too. If you get it without the charging pad [it's just Qi] I got it around $250 on newegg.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I had the Focus UC before my current Jabra and they were great for meetings. The old model had a flaw with the headband connection [it looks like they fixed it in the Fpcus 2] that meant they wore out after a couple years but as someone who spends at least 10 hours a week on calls it worked fine.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bodies are weird, for example I can basically only use bullet style IEMs, anything with any kind of shape that’s supposed to fit in your ear doesn’t, also AirPods literally fall out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a pretty big melon and the clamp on my Focals is just at the limit of what I would want. That said the isolation is so good I could at times barely hear the Blue Angels practicing over my apartment this week.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm thinking of selling my Fiio BTR7, any interest here?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I love my giant gently caress off over ears but I also routinely have helicopters and construction noise around my place and they isolate so well it’s worth it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’ve used both Jabra and Poly headsets, they’re generally solid and dedicated mute status light on the USB dongle is worth the price of admission to me. My current one is the Jabra Evolve2 65 Flex, I got a decent price on Newegg for them without the charging pad [works with anything Qi based]. I prefer the on ears like the Jabra 65 or Poly Voyager Focus because they’re much lighter and I’m in a lot of meetings. I tried the Poly Voyager 8200 and it was too heavy/bulky for me. There’s a ton of refurb headsets on eBay if you’re getting sticker shock from the prices.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm surprised that many people have such an expensive DAC but it is apparently one of the best ones you can get and it actually does stuff like EQ and have a good headphone amp unlike most giant R2R audiophile monstrosities.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

People buying it for home use are wasting immense amounts of money for reasons I can't really fathom but i guess if you're independently wealthy and think they're neat go
Honestly I think it captured so much attention in part because of the sweet animated spectrum graph on the display. A lot of people shopping for that kind of thing were probably also looking at companies like Benchmark which is even more expensive but with fewer features.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I am never buying nice headphones without replaceable cables.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The good headsets are from Jabra and Plantronics/Poly. I’ve tried several, picked on-ears instead of over-ears every time. There’s no lag if you use the dongle plus you get the killer feature of these which is the visible mute status indicator. My current one is a Jabra Evolve2 65 Flex which is a terrible name but it’s a good headset. Super reliable on calls, decent but not amazing for music, folds up, can charge on any Qi pad. If it has one downside the mic isn’t the best of you’re going to use it outside in the wind.

All that said my Focals are still right next to them on my desk, they’re not a replacement for the good poo poo.

e: VVVVVV I went through two of those [Voyager Focus] before my Jabra, they are decent sounding and super comfortable but there's a bit where the metal headband meets the plastic that breaks.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 5, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There’s a new wireless standard called SKAA that’s supposed to be low latency. Not wide vendor support yet.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My 7506es from 1997 finally died, the foam around the driver crumbled during an earpad change. Is there something similar that folds down as small with OK isolation? These are like my second-backup pair for strictly beater use so I'm not in a rush. I'll probably just order another set but if there's an alternative with a removable cord that would be ideal.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Thanks for the input on 7506 replacements, I think my shortlist is AKG 371, AKG M50 and maybe the Rode NTH-100 [if they fixed the adjustment pivot thing that breaks]. Shades of the old Sony V700s which all broke in the exact same spot.

I'm going to sell my Fiio BTR7, I'm just not using it enough. Any interest here before I chuck it on ebay?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I get good isolation with my Focal Elegias which you should be able to find around that price and wear glasses but I have very thin frames so if you have thick acetate ones they may ruin the effect. That said some people I know in very noisy environments just do IEMs under actual hearing protection.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Got a pair of Space Travels, it seems like the app currently doesn't work on iOS. Also they're really hard to take out without triggering a play/pause event. Otherwise they sound good, I'm looking forward to seeing how they do at the gym.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JBL has a bunch of sub-$100 over-ears and they're known for being pretty durable.

e: I don't think you'll do better than those $50 Status ones, though.

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I once had a dream about Sony V6es with a replaceable cord