Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Helter Skelter posted:

If you're willing to go with IEMs you can get a ton of mileage out of $20. My current beaters are a set of Moondrop Chus, but there are a number of other options in the same price range.

sound-wise i like the 7hz zeros better since it has better bass but i like the cables and the fit of the chu more

IIRC also every recent double-blind study on IEMs found SQ versus price has a very weak correlation at best so just start with the dirt cheap ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The Chu 2 just came out with better bass and a removable cable at the same price, I think they're much more competitive now.

and yeah that SQ vs price thing is skewing even cheaper now that you can get really good tuning for practically no money

not headphones but i have heard a pair of $2000 Neumann KH120 II (now objectively the flattest FR 5 inch speaker) in a room corrected pro audio showroom.

all the difference i heard with that over my $250 JBL 305Ps was only slightly more mids and slightly less treble when played at my comfortable 70dB listening volumes.

certainly nothing that made me felt infinite veils lifted

Palladium fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 29, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
my WH-1000XM3 i bought used for $70 was barely loud enough for content in a boeing 787 at max volume even with ANC on

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Godzilla07 posted:

These days, I'm in the camp of "the best closed back headphone is an IEM." I'd take a $55 Truthear Zero:Red over a DT770 for music.

Same, I don't get cups at all. They are so much more annoying to use and store versus an IEM and they also don't sound as natural and tactile versus a decent pair of small speakers like the iLoud Micro.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've become a little bit addicted to AliExpress's goofy sales over the last few weeks. They offered me some KDX Pro IEM's for $3 shipped if I bought some other stuff alongside it. I was really curious what you could actually do with a $3 IEM w/ detachable cable, but they came today and they're...pretty good? I don't have the most discerning ears, but next to my Blon BL-03's they don't sound that far behind. I figured I'd probably use them to replace my old Monoprice 8320's as the earbud I use when I'm watching videos on my laptop and they're worlds better than those. I say that not to recommend you all go buy a pair, but just to marvel at how much earbud you can get for a ridiculously low price these days.

let you in a secret: because these things cost peanuts to make

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zorilla posted:

My observation is that even Sony's flagship offerings targeted at the general user have way too much bass out of the box. Their XB series of headphones are basically your friend's car stereo from when you were 17 and are entirely unlistenable. And, in true Sony style again, they usually don't support their own app, so you can't EQ them either (at least this was the case with XB950N1s I tried).

Maybe this is a hot take here, but codecs don't really matter if the headphones themselves sound like crap. I'm always weary when a headphone emphasizes its codec support over other, more important things. Even when I use my Fiio BTR5 with my DT 770s, I can't tell any difference between AAC and aptX anyway, so I can't imagine it would be relevant on lesser headphones either.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,120182.0.html
normal bitrate SBC, AAC and AptX are pretty close when ABX'ed with AptX being the worst by a little. All are also within arm's reach to the original wired loseless

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-bc3-review-bluetooth-receiver-bt-codecs.23740/page-12#post-1039526
LDAC is great on single-tone THD but becomes a HF distortion mess on multitone sweeps

I wasn't able find any direct SBC/AAC/Aptx vs LDAC on ABX testing, but if i have to guess it would land a bit higher than SBC
All these are under the assumption the receivers themselves don't butcher SQ any further beyond the transmission codecs do

Palladium fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 9, 2024

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

njsykora posted:

The level of audio quality you can get even for sub-$50 right now is absolutely crazy and it rules.

even the samsung buds FE i got for $35 new is shockingly good and the convenience and usability is so top notch

im pretty much stopped using my 3.5mm apple dongle + truthear red afterwards

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mr. Mercury posted:

It's possible that the earbuds just fit you better. ANC requires a good seal for best results, so if your jaw, glasses, or ears interrupt the seal on over ears; it's definitely realistic to think that a pair of well-fitting earbuds would outperform headphones

buds are much better from a convenience standpoint too

my WH-1000XM3 i bought used for $70 is so cumbersome that its sitting dust after bringing it to my air trip last year, not to mention its godawful SUPERZ BASSZ tuning and the stock pads are awfully uncomfortable in a tropical climate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

a dac converts digital audio to analog line level. it is not an amplifier. if you plugged your headphones into it, you would get a 2vrms audio signal, that's it.

its a bit more electrically complicated: a combo line + HP out with a 2V output will easily drive a nominal 10K impedance line-in load, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will have the current capability to drive headphones that has much lower impedances (16 to 600 ohm) or have the desired <1 Ohm output impedance

it all boils down to the design of the output stage after the DAC chip

what im saying is not every 3.5mm freebie jack is bad; you should definitely try them out first since its already there (and chances most are good enough by tyool 2024). And if it isn't good enough then consider an external DAC/HP combo...which doesn't even need to be expensive