Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
I have a request for you all that's pretty general.

Price: $50, but really I'm just posting to ask how cheap you're willing to go with a recommendation. Because we all know you can get that one brand of Sony headphones for ten bucks, but then a wire comes loose after a week and then you have a lump of plastic you need to throw out.
Source: A basic 3.5mm headphone jack, either from a laptop or a usb-to-jack dongle on a phone.
Intended Use: Very generic daily use. Something I can use at home so I can listen to things without being as actively loud as if I just had my speakers blaring and something I can wear on a walk for the same purposes, as long as it doesn't sound like complete rear end.
Preferred Features: Over/On Ear over In Ear, but that's a light preference. I'm tired of having things in my ears all the time, but I have to assume the form factor of headphones adds to the cost. If something good and in-ear is that much cheaper than something over-ear, I'm willing to deal with it. Also, wired over wireless. Wireless just doesn't seem like it'd be nice enough to make up for the costs, and keeping a wireless device charged is a pain in the rear end. (Besides, I want my audio devices to die because something physically broke, not because a built-in battery inevitably stopped charging.)

tl;dr, I have one question for the Headphone Thread: how low are you willing to go for something that will work long term? $30? $15? Are the modern $5 ear buds they sell next to the cash register good enough for a sufficiently casual listener in 2023?

(I'll be honest, a big part of why I'm asking is because I'm sure there's going to be other goons who want to know what the minimum acceptable standard is at some point.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The really great sounding stuff under $50 is all IEMs, but the good news is that price point is getting a lot of love these days. kiwi ears cadenza, moondrop chu 2, crinacle zero red, or even just the good ol 7hz zero are all excellent.

the modern $5 earbuds are kind of pointless now imo because at $20 you can get something actually good with a removable cable you can replace if it breaks.

Update: ended up just going with the 7hz Salnotes Zero, unironically because the Chu 2 costing slightly less than the Chu 1 on Amazon made me vaguely anxious that I was getting ripped off somewhere. Haven't exactly put them through a ton of testing yet, but they definitely feel like a real step up from the random pack-in earbuds I was using before. Thanks for the recommendations, people.