Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yup you’re just looking for wired closed back over ear headphones. Senn 559 or 569 would be another choice in and around that range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ugh, drat it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I don’t think you want Bluetooth for game audio, still laggy I think.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Just checking in to say yes etymotic stock cables are the worst but since Klipsch ditched its competitor to the ER4, I’ve learned to live with an ER4 and third party cable (null audio, cheapest one they do is similar in price to official Ety cable but not trash)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Anti-Hero posted:

Ok, I could go that route. Say I did want to replace them, would the HD560S be a decent choice for the sub $300 price range? I mostly use headphones for gaming and I've really gotten in to Hunt: Showdown which has an insane emphasis on sound. I drive my headphones with a Schiit Magni/Modi stack.

Sub $300? HD6xx would be a nice upgrade

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I’m a grouchy old man and that or 6XX is my headphone rec at that price point

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Alternatively usb mod mic and whatever kinda closed headphones ya want

ATHM50 or M70 maybe?

Dogen fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 23, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The old go to was the Bose QC, are those still good? Or AirPods Max if you use an iPhone and want to spend more money.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ety er2xr would fit the bill

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Sorbus posted:

Can’t be healthy to sleep with triple flanges in your ear

I use comply foam tips

I’m either doing ok or I guess unknowingly about to die of ear cancer

Dogen fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 6, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I don't think there is anything like that which ANC does, you're more looking for an earplug situation. ANC basically does what the pair you gave your wife does (drowns out constant annoying noise, not periodic annoying noise).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Y'all got any recommendations for a durable USB-C to 3.5" adapter? The apple one may sound great and be cheap, but I've gone through multiple just plugged into something that never moves, it ain't gonna make it in my pocket.

They’re so cheap I just always have a replacement on hand but yeah they maybe make it a year or two and I’m vaguely interested to see if there is a more durable one out there

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Could I interest you in an ety er2

Fully wired solution, but with comply foam tips and something playing it kills most noise and it's so small that it's comfy enough to sleep in

Also, won't come out of your ear almost guaranteed, compared to a bluetooth earbud

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Clarence posted:

Thanks for the pointers. (They have to be bluetooth as my phone doesn't have a socket - which I only realised while I was out and went to plug in my old non-bluetooth set!)

Nowadays you have to get an adapter and use your charging port as your headphone port, so it's probably still an option but yknow do whatever works for you

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Does it have to be wireless?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Also check out modmic for adding a mic to any old headphones.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It might as well be a NOOSE

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I hated the idea of TWS for a long time but dipped my toe in with Powerbeats pro (the first Apple ones, with the W1) for bike riding and I liked them ok. Now I have a set of 2nd gen AirPods pro and I’d say I use them about as much as I use my ER4s.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 26, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I’ve used a few combo jacks but I feel like they’ve all been manual switch and not any kind of impedance sensing

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Did you try replacing the cable on your Etys? It’s a major point of failure on them but they meet your other requirements really

If it’s the driver or you’re just mad at them I get not wanting another pair

Dogen
May 5, 2002

That seems like a high price when the 6xx are like $180

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The cranky guy in Brooklyn yelling at the hipsters to get out

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Get whatever the gently caress headphones you want and get a modmic usb.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It comes with a case so you can travel with it but yeah it increases the number of things to carry from one to two for travel

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I’ve used mod mic with a succession of Senns and my Audezes and no issues. People just hear my keyboard if my noise canceling fucks up.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Sorbus posted:

Just ordered b-stock LCD-X’s for 1111 EUR

r.i.p. my neck I guess

Honestly the band pinches me if it gets out of adjustment is more of a problem than anything like they are heavy but I don’t really notice em

Also unlike my problem with knives and some peoples problem with headphones I feel like this and my lil fiio are the endgame for me and I haven’t really looked at anything else

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They’re good but not their price that hardly gets discounted good. Much like most Apple products. Better than the 35 to my ears never tried a 45 (I’ve heard the 45 is worse than the 35).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Maybe they have a huge backlog of lightning ones to get rid of

Dogen
May 5, 2002

AEMINAL posted:

Anyone else ever toggle their equalizer and think "what have I become" the second you hear zero bass all treble

I assume we’re all like that and pretend we aren’t

Dogen
May 5, 2002

That’s uh a distinct house sound I guess that you’re correcting for

Dogen
May 5, 2002

6XX is a good option for just a little more money. Mine have probably fallen from my desk to my floor uhhhh more times than I can count and they’re fine. They’re semi retired because I mostly use my LCD X now but they still get some use. Good all rounders good price. I have a large ish noggin (25) and they’re fine.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 28, 2024

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Buy two of those if the budget is $100 and he breaks poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I’m never buying a pair of headphones again that isn’t throwaway without a detachable cable