Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I really like my 560S. Some people say they're too tight, but I must have a small head... my SHP9500s just kind of hang there by comparison. Your amp is more than adequate. I use the built-in jack on my MacBook Air or iPad most of the time, and it's fine. Only my digital piano struggles to get them loud enough, and even then, it's primarily when I'm using offboard sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I recently got a Polycom Voyager Focus 2 for my home office (you can find these open box for $150ish) and have been extremely happy with them. Wouldn't be my choice for on-the-go or serious media listening, but for meetings and seamlessly switching between my phone and work PC, they have been flawless. The Teams/Zoom integration is handy, too.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 5, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Clark Nova posted:

I don't know if anybody is doing reviews and recommendation specifically for bone conduction headsets. Your options basically come down to the name brand, Shokz, at $80-180, and Chinese knockoffs around $30. I have an Aftershok Aeropex (now sold as Shokz OpenRun Pro) and while it is nice, I can't imagine it is six or seven times better than the no-name headphones. None of these are ever going to sound truly good for listening to music, but they're fine for podcasts and audiobooks, and mine have a surprisingly good microphone for phone calls

I have repped Shokz (and their predecessor, AfterShokz) this in this thread as good office/exercise/yard work headphones for when you need situational awareness while listening to podcasts and whatnot. I should probably come full circle and say that I've finally gone off them for 3 reasons:

1) I broke two pairs in 3 years in the exact same way (snapped band). I don't break stuff often so that probably says something about durability
2) One of the big selling points for me, multipoint, was OK on the first but absolute dogshit on the second one
3) The TWS earbuds I just got to replace them (Beats Studio+) have much better transparency than my old ANC headphones that I almost forget I'm wearing them. Although if I was cycling on a highway or something, I'd probably stick with open ears.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Both of mine were Aeropex which apparently uses a rubber-coated titanium for the band. Last one failed at the joint between the band and the ear pad.

Also: very annoying discovery about my Studio Buds+. If the case is dead, they will not connect to anything, even if the buds themselves still have a charge. They need the case to tell them to connect. What a bizarre design decision.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Appoda posted:

- Controls that aren't a pain in the rear end. The touch stuff on the Sony WHH900N was fine but could get annoying with accidental touches, and also bizarre features like "reverse noise cancelling"

As a fellow WHH900N owner I agree about the touch controls, but... are you talking about transparency mode? Because any ANC headphone is going to have that, it's super useful and not at all bizarre

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
True, the H900N's transparency (ambient) mode isn't great (they're pretty old and the ANC struggles sometimes too), although when it's picking that stuff up I don't notice it so much with music playing.

The idea is sound though - transparency on my Studio Buds+ is miles better and is really a killer feature if you need some degree of constant situational awareness (and don't want to listen one-eared the whole time). I call it "parent mode."

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Studio Buds+ are on sale for $130 right now

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I use a Poly Voyager Focus 2 for my home office stuff and it's the bees knees. I've owned plenty of headsets that claim multipoint and this one just actually works.

I wouldn't use it for serious listening, but it's fine for having music/YouTube in the background via my phone while still being able to pick up a Teams call on my PC without missing a beat.

(For online piano lessons I use DT770+Modmic but I wouldn't want to wear it all day. Not sure how well Modmic plays with open-backs.)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Rakeris posted:

I wonder, is modmic listed in Windows has a headset or just a mic, as I kind of forgot about it. (Work doesn't allow standalone mics or wireless.)

Just a mic. That's literally all it is. It plugs into the mic jack of your PC. If you have only a headset jack instead of separate headphone and mic jacks, you will need a male TRRS to female mic/headphone splitter.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
As one of the weirdos with an Android phone, an iPad, and a Mac, I can vouch for Beats Studio Buds+ playing nicely across ecosystems. It's not multipoint, but frankly, I have always found multipoint to be extremely janky (other than my Poly Voyager, but that's an entirely different class of product).

I will say that I am struggling to find an XS/SS ear tip that works for me with the Beats buds, much more so than for any of my wired IEMs (where Spinfit CP100+ SS, Final Type E XS, and Moondrop Spring S all work great for me). The included one - and major props to Beats for even bothering to include XS tips - feel nice but work loose over time. The Spinfit CP360 is a hair too large and occasionally causes my ear canal to start spasming. Not great. I am going to try the Azla at some point - they make both SS and SSS in their TWS Crystal line, but trying both will set me back nearly $40. Having weird ears is expensive. :homebrew:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I've praised my Beats Studio Buds+ in here as a good option for us weirdos with both Android and i(Pad)OS devices. But I've gotta make one major complaint: if you drop the case, the buds will definitely go flying quite far in separate directions. I've had them launch into the next room.

And the cool translucent retro styling basically blends in with anything. I have accepted that I am eventually going to lose one or both buds this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Sano posted:

What I hated is the wire would twist constantly into itself into a weird knot thing where I gotta hold it up and wait for it to untwist itself. Any way to avoid that nonsense?

This happens because you are, without realizing it, giving the headphones a twist when you take them off, put them on your desk, and then pick them back up later. The solution is to either not do that or check your cord every few wears to let the twist out.