Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

I have a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3's that have seen near-constant use for about 4 years. They're perfect but they're dying (I've replaced ear pads and battery at this point, but now the ANC is failing and causing loud random crackling).

I'm looking to replace them and I assume that the answer is WH-1000XM5's, but I wanted to check whether there is anything else out there that fits the bill now in a similar price range. What I care about:

- Wireless
- Over-the-ear
- Fast charging
- Microphone sound quality (XM3's are awful for this)
- Audio pass-through

To clarify the last point: I want to be able to chat with my wife and hear what's going on around me while wearing these. The XM3's have an "ambient sound" mode that works quite well for this. If there are open-back headphones that do this better I would be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Zorilla posted:

The Bose QC 45 are a bit more barebones feature wise, but they are way more comfortable and more portable due to their slim profile and foldability. They have an "Aware" mode that the previous generation (QC 35 II) didn't have, but they took away the ability to disable ANC (why???). The sound quality is also a bit worse than the QC 35, putting it back down into the same territory as the Sony WH-1000X series.

How are they for audio pass-through? I don't actually care about noise cancelling except when flying, which I do like 2x annually.

Any open-back wireless headphones I should be considering that would be better for this?

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Zorilla posted:

I've honestly been disappointed by the passthrough mode of just about everything except the demo unit AirPods Max I tried out at Best Buy briefly. Apple seems to be the only ones who can do this convincingly for the time being.

Hmm, maybe I should consider a set of AirPods Max then. If the passthrough is noticeably better it's probably worth the extra price to me.

Thanks for all the info; I'll do a bit more research and see if I can find some direct comparisons.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Tried out the AirPods Max today. The passthrough is incredible; SO much better than the XM3's. Ordered a set when I got home.