Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

Can headphones go into an iPhone usb-C to usb-C now?
you mean thype C headphones? if so yes, same as ipad pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Capable headphones are like HD displays, once you've had the good stuff it's hard to go back. But even "basic" 560s can get most of the way there.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godzilla07 posted:

$350 headphones with worse channel balance than $20 IEMs :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGgUHizPjg0&t=75s
qc25s 4ever

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lily Catts posted:

So I bought a Steelseries Arctis Nova 1 this year and I've been using it for raiding in Final Fantasy XIV. The audio is great, no complaints there, but I've been told repeatedly that my voice sounds underwater or garbled or both. I've tried to fudge around with both Discord mic settings and the Steelseries GG app (which annoyingly dies on occasion which makes me lose all my sound if I'm using the Sonar outputs--it does this thing where you can switch between Gaming, Chat, Media, etc for streaming purposes) but no dice. My friends have pointed me out to using Voicemeeter, VX-Audio Virtual Cable to route the mic from OBS to Discord so I could use the whole gamut of OBS audio filters. I fudged with that a bit but I found that the output from OBS was still pretty garbled from my headset, even with all the filters I've added . Doing the same thing with a condenser mic (a cheap Redragon Seyfert) gives no problems.

My healer suggested I just use a discrete mic and just use the headset for audio output. I've bought a splitter for this and I have another cheap mic (a BM-800) on the way. But I wonder if I've missed something? Looking up on articles online, they tell me to disable audio enhancements, or that Discord Krisp is bad, etc etc. It also looks like Steelseries GG doesn't play well with Voicemeeter/Virtual Cable because when I install both sometimes I lose all sound and I have to reinstall one or the other to get it back, so it's been really frustrating!

My previous headset was a Razer Kraken X. It had no such problems but one day when I took it off the headband snapped, whoops! All I just want is to sound decent in Discord voice chat and not give a garbled callout that wipes the raid lol
This is the typical antlion modmic use case. Bonus you can go to good headphones too :)

coconono posted:

Well I was hoping for a combination passive and active.

Someone better tell Cletus McFarland tho.
Get yourself some peltors friendo. Basic WS alert X's will do what you want, XPI's will let you connect more than one device (so you can stream tunes while still being able to take calls on your work phones or whatever else). The other option is just using low profile buds under peltor optimes or whatever passive set you like.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

you probably want to look at actual hearing protection with bluetooth from a company like 3M or Walker's, which is kind of a different product segment. i doubt they sound great, but with 90+db of ambient noise i don't think anything will, and you need something actually rated to protect you from that.
Yeah it loving owns to be able to speak/understand people next to 90db equipment.

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah I'm surprised somebody at work hasn't had the "hearing protection vs. headphones" chat with you yet
This is the same boss who balked at a $300 pair of cans, when most electronic hearing proctection costs more than that.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 14, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have stupid big warning panels in the datacenters we manage: "Hearing damage is cumulative and irreversible".

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

qirex posted:

I’ve used both Jabra and Poly headsets, they’re generally solid and dedicated mute status light on the USB dongle is worth the price of admission to me. My current one is the Jabra Evolve2 65 Flex, I got a decent price on Newegg for them without the charging pad [works with anything Qi based]. I prefer the on ears like the Jabra 65 or Poly Voyager Focus because they’re much lighter and I’m in a lot of meetings. I tried the Poly Voyager 8200 and it was too heavy/bulky for me. There’s a ton of refurb headsets on eBay if you’re getting sticker shock from the prices.
The most comfy headphones + mic will always be the best solution for someone who's ok with having big headphones on zoom calls.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

qirex posted:

I am never buying nice headphones without replaceable cables.
seriously. one of my favorite things about my open back Senns at home and work is how I can pop on new pads/cables in a couple minutes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bright Bart posted:

And how are those parts where you are at, in terms of price?
I had akg 702 before and cracking the dumb transparent flexible ends of the tension band (something that happens to all of them eventually) meant replacing the whole band, for near enough the price of the whole unit, so they got recycled.

On the cans before that, the cable developed internal damage near the cups.

On the Senns the cables have never failed and are standard 2,5mm anyway.

Pads were like 25 bucks?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you can deal with open back I still don't think you can beat Senn HD500-series cans with a modmic. Change pads when they get a bit grimy, and IME they'll last forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Maxes with type C are the only thing I might even consider replacing my QC25's with. 35 hours of ANC on a rechargeable AAA, with a spot for the spare in the case? Oh ya.