Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

nrook posted:

My old audiotechnica ATH-AD700s are falling apart; they've gotten to the point where I lose sound if the wire going into the headphones isn't at just the right angle. They've been relegated to work duty for awhile now, so I need a new pair to replace them.

Budget is around $100. My requirements are comfort and good sound for listening to voices in calls; I never listen to music on them. The work duty in question is working from home, so open-back is fine (and, indeed, preferred). I was just going to buy the updated edition (which I guess is the AD700x?), but is there something else I should consider?

For this use case I'd recommend looking at a dedicated Unified Communications headset, since those are optimized for voice calls. Polycom and Jabra are two decent brands. I use a Polycom Focus when I WFH and it is very needs suiting, though a bit more expensive than your stated budget.

For a wired USB variety check out the Poly 3320.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I've been using a Poly Voyager Focus for a few years for work and it's very good. +1 for the dongle, definitely worth it.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

LeninVS posted:

I'm looking for a pair of over the ears headphones to use on my PC. Primarily for playing games and some TV. The main feature I'm looking for is some kind of good transparency mode.

I'm currently using Logitech G533 Wireless that I wear lopsided on my head with one ear out so I can hear For sounds coming from nearby.

The lopsided headphones have started to aggravate my skin on one side of my face and I'm somewhat sick of everything being in mono.

Sennheiser Game One is an open back headset with a decent boom mic. No ANC but the open back does let in ambient sounds.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

LeninVS posted:

How loud is the open back style for people nearby?
I imagine it can't be any worse than my current setup where one ear is mostly not on my head and open to the world anyway.

People in the same room will definitely be able to hear your game sounds, but it will still be quieter than using speakers. If you need isolation so other people can't hear but you want to be able to hear what's going on in the room then you'll need a headset with ANC that has transparency mode.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The Sennheiser Game One should meet your requirements