Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I randomly found a pair of DT 770 Pro 80ohm in a electronics recycling drop-off at work. They work find, but smell like the previous owners cologne so I'm thinking of replacing the ear pads. Amazon has a bunch, but is there anything special I should be looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Zorilla posted:

The DT 770s are by far the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned and the stock velour earpads are a bit part of the reason why. I would try throwing them in the laundry before condemning them entirely. They can survive a few washes before the adhesives start to break down. If you do have to replace them, I would just get another set of stock ones. They're a bit steep at $35, but I think they also come with the foam discs, which can also disintegrate over time.

Oh, duh. I don't know why I didn't consider that. They're in good shape, so I'm sure that should work fine. Thanks!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is there a way to find out who a set of Airpods Pro belongs to? Found them while walking and when I connected to them they didn't have a name or anything. I called Apple with the serial number but they said they weren't able to do anything with it. I'm on Android so I'd like to know if there's some Apple search function I can use before I start printing out flyers. They at least came with a colored silicone case so I can ask people to describe them to filter out people looking for a free pair of headphones.

Airpods Pro should have Find Me, assuming they enabled it? I've never used anything in the Apple ecosystem, but my understanding is this works pretty well if you live near in a built up enough area that iPhones will see them assuming they're charged. Someone might just come knocking on your door one day.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207581

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

RandolphCarter posted:

Anyone know of a good, cheapish, wireless set of bone conduction headphones?

Clark Nova posted:

I don't know if anybody is doing reviews and recommendation specifically for bone conduction headsets. Your options basically come down to the name brand, Shokz, at $80-180, and Chinese knockoffs around $30. I have an Aftershok Aeropex (now sold as Shokz OpenRun Pro) and while it is nice, I can't imagine it is six or seven times better than the no-name headphones. None of these are ever going to sound truly good for listening to music, but they're fine for podcasts and audiobooks, and mine have a surprisingly good microphone for phone calls

Yea, it's basically Shokz and a hundred no-name Chinese competitors. Shokz OpenMove will almost certainly go on sale for Black Friday in the US, if not before, which puts it in the price range where I think it's worth it to just spend the extra money for something from a brand with an actual warranty, etc. Otherwise, you could just play Amazon roulette on one of the Chinese brands with decent reviews and return them if they suck.

wolrah posted:

IMO "true wireless" earbuds are the stupidest example of the market following Apple in to style over substance. Worse controls, worse battery life, worse wireless performance, requiring a special charging system rather than just a standard cable, infinitely easier to lose/damage, etc. all just to get rid of a wire you can barely feel on the back of your neck. Is that wire really that bad?

Probably an unpopular opinion in this thread, but TWS were a complete game-changer for me. I never wanted to gently caress around with my wired IEM's, but TWS buds take less than 5 seconds to put in or return to the case. You never get the wire caught on something and yank it out of your ear. Having the case makes it super easy to just drop them in your pocket. I just put them in the pocket with my keys, which makes them easy to keep track of. Features like transparency mode, ANC are significant advantages over wired or almost all wired-together bluetooth models.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Appoda posted:

Looking for: Over-ear Wireless Headphones

Budget - $200 or less

Source - Android Phone

Intended Use Case - Listening to podcasts and ebooks while I'm doing chores, cooking, running errands. I listen to about 850 hours of podcasts a year, which is why I'm so normal! I also listen to music on occasion.

Features:

- Comfort -- something I can wear all day without much strain, and either has good cups out of the box or has aftermarket ones that come highly recommended. Also, don't know how much it factors, but I have kind of a big head. :anime:
- I like ANC after having it on my Sony WHH900Ns, but I'm under the impression that well-fitted over-ear headphones don't need it?
- "Decent" sound quality is acceptable since I'm not listening to music all that often. I would like something that's not total garbage though.
- Controls that aren't a pain in the rear end. The touch stuff on the Sony WHH900N was fine but could get annoying with accidental touches, and also bizarre features like "reverse noise cancelling" and a ridiculously loud ringtone that I couldn't turn off while it was connected to my phone.

TBH, since you're not super picky about sound quality there's probably dozens of over-ears that would be just fine. I personally struggle to wear over-ears for long periods of time because my ears heat up too much, but if you have experience with the Sony's you seem to not have that issue. Anker/Soundcore has a couple models, the Q30 and Q45, that are well regarded and can be found well inside your price point. I have the Q30 and my only complaint is the ANC doesn't work in wired mode, but the Q45 apparently fixed that.

Appoda posted:

Alternatively: hook earbuds for a similar purpose
Has anyone tried the Soundcore Sport X10 earbuds? They're about $70 which is around what I'd want to pay for an extra set of listening devices, mainly for when over-ears would be too bulky or it's hot out and I don't want to deal with a bunch of foam squeezed to my head. Reviews seem to check all the boxes but I haven't seen them mentioned here.

Related: do any of you swim in IPX7s? :v: It says they're good for 30 minutes in 3 feet of water, dunno if that means they can take a few laps around the pool on a weekly basis.

Bluetooth can't really penetrate water, so bluetooth headphones won't really work for swimming no matter how waterproof they are. Swimming headphones generally have storage and an internal player built in for solve this.

I have not tried the X10s, but I've had my eye on them since they were released so I've read a bit about them. What's kept me away is that the ANC is supposedly pretty mediocre and sound quality is bass heavy and nothing to write home about. In theory the clips would be nice for running, but I apparently have the shape of ears that take TWS buds well and I run literally thousands of miles over the last couple years with my Samsung Buds+/Buds2 and they've never come loose much less fallen out.

On another topic, AliExpress was offering me some Lenovo X3 Pro bone conducting headphones for like $10 and I was just too curious to see how $10 bone-conducting headphones could compare to my Shokz OpenRun Pro ($180 MSRP, I paid ~$100). They arrived today and honestly they do pretty well. The Shokz sound better, which isn't a surprise, but the difference when listening to podcasts is minimal. Music is a bit more pronounced, but music sounds mediocre on bone-conducting headphones in general. The only major issue I had was that the Lenovo doesn't sit as well on my head and loses contact with my bone a bit more often, especially if I chewing gum or something. Comfort is also worse, but I'll have to see how wearing them all day goes. Charging is microUSB, but Shokz uses a proprietary magnetic cable so you need to carry a non-USB-C cable either way for travel, etc. For $10 though they're a steal for someone looking at bone-conducting for occasional use.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Have you tried out the microphone on these? How is it?

I tried them last night with a test call to my wife's phone. I'd say the mic is mediocre at best. Muffled compared to the Shokz and no apparent noise rejection. About what you'd expect for the price I guess.

I still need to take them for a run to see how well they stay put and transmit sound during movement.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Parallelwoody posted:

Any opinions on the galaxy buds 2 pro pro 2 for like 120? I could use some decent ear buds for meetings, vr, working out, music on my android, stuff like that. I'd probably go up to 150 if there's something substantially better.

Edit: apparently the galaxy buds pro 2 and the galaxy buds 2 pro are different products? and this is why I hate shopping for this stuff.

First off, just the normal caveat that bluetooth introduces a bit of latency, so if your VR is latency sensitive be aware of that. It can impact meetings a bit as well.

Buds 2 Pro is the official name. If someone's labeling them Buds Pro 2 that's just an error. Thankfully even Samsung isn't inane enough confuse things that much. There is, however, the non-pro Buds 2.

$120 is roughly what I've seen them going for online for the past 6 months. I haven't tried the Pro's, but I love my regular Buds2's and the Pros seem to have slightly better audio quality:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/t...&threshold=0.10

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I've become a little bit addicted to AliExpress's goofy sales over the last few weeks. They offered me some KDX Pro IEM's for $3 shipped if I bought some other stuff alongside it. I was really curious what you could actually do with a $3 IEM w/ detachable cable, but they came today and they're...pretty good? I don't have the most discerning ears, but next to my Blon BL-03's they don't sound that far behind. I figured I'd probably use them to replace my old Monoprice 8320's as the earbud I use when I'm watching videos on my laptop and they're worlds better than those. I say that not to recommend you all go buy a pair, but just to marvel at how much earbud you can get for a ridiculously low price these days.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

My last 2 pairs of Pixel A Buds both ended up failing in the same way. The right ear bud's volume is extremely quite and off balances it with the left one. It's so annoying hearing loud in one ear. It's happened in the past a few times and usually a good solid cleaning fixes it but this time it won't.

Looking for recs on a new pair of buds. I want avoid Pixel A obviously but unsure if the Pros would be any better.

Budget:$200 (Not in a big rush so I will wait till Black Friday sales start popping up)
Source: Pixel 8 Pro
Use case: Podcast, Music, youtube listening. Just your general use from a nonaudiophile .
Preferences: Basic touch controls, and 5+ hour battery on charge.

I assume you've tried cleaning out the quiet bud to make sure it's not blocked by ear wax? I know that's a common issue with buds in general.

Godzilla07 posted:

Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro are on sale for $160 for Black Friday everywhere

Samsung.com has them for this price right now, but will take another $50 off if you trade in a "wired headset" which can literally be a dollar store earbud with mic so you end up at $110 + tax. I've seen them for similar prices without trade-in on Amazon before, but it's unclear to me if some of those are gray market and might not be covered by a US warranty.

Samsung.com also has the Buds FE for $45 with the same trade in of any wired/wireless headset. The FE gives up a few of the features of the normal buds 2 and the Buds 2 Pro, but reviews indicate that the sound quality and noise cancellation are solid and they fit better for some people. Battery life is also better.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Appoda posted:

Pulling up an old recommendation to give my review:

Bought a pair of Anker Q30s based on this rec and the price point at the time ($80), and I quite like them! An upgrade in almost every way over my Sonys. Felt a little tight on my head the first few hours, but once broken in, I found them more comfortable than the WH-H900Ns, which sat more on my ears than over them. ANC is the best I've had so far, and the transparency mode actually works. Bluetooth hardly ever misses, even when I leave my phone down the hall. My only complaint is that the push-and-hold for skip foward/back/power off takes a little too long, and the tiny holes used for the ANC make an annoying sound when you're outside and it's windy, or when I'm riding a bike. Are there any ANC headphones that don't have that annoying whoosh when air's passing over them?

Transparency kicking on every time I touch the right cup is a little annoying too; I get the convenience factor, but I'd really rather just press a button. :v: I suppose the only other bother is that the ANC doesn't work when plugged in for some reason, but that's not that big a deal, since I only plug in at my desk. In any case, thanks for the recommendation! :tipshat:

Which brings me to my next bit. My mee-maw wants some headphones for her job -- I was thinking about just giving her my Q30s and upgrading to a set of Soundcore Q45s, since they're only $80 right now $100 nevermind the $80 are refurbs. Can anyone who's owned both Q30s and Q45s speak to the differences between them? Also, the quality of refurbs from Anker? My refurb'd sonys worked fine except the 3.5mm jack was hosed. I'd have to finagle with it if I wanted to use them with my PC just about every time.

Alternatively, give me your suggestions for other bluetooth headphones.

Glad the Q30s are treating you well. I haven't tried the Q45's, but my understanding is that the noise cancelling does work with the 3.5mm physical jack FWIW. I'm not sure there's really anything else in the price range that works that well, but the Bose/Sony top-end offerings do come somewhat close to your $150 limit during sales.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm looking to get a new pair of earbuds myself after my Sony wf-1000 whatevers have died. I've tried my girlfriend's AirPods Pro 2 with my Pixel 7 and they sound great and they're on sale for $190. are these Samsung ones comparable and better for an Android phone than the Apple buds, or should I just go with the AirPods anyway?

They should be pretty comparable audio-quality wise. I believe you'd lose out on any custom settings for the Airpods on Android so things like tweaking EQ, noise cancellation settings, etc. would be out the window, but I'm not sure how much of those Apple gives you?

I received both the Samsungs Buds 2 Pro and Buds FE this week (got them bundled cheap with a new phone). Both sound great to me, but I don't have the pickiest ears. The FE fit me better due to the shape and for anyone who doesn't 'need' the additional features of the 2 Pro I think the FE are great. I think Samsung.com is selling them for $50 right now if you trade in a 'wired headset' which can be literal dollar store headphones with mic and for that price they're a steal.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm trying to figure out bluetooth audio simultaneous in/out on Windows. When my wife was trying to use bt earbuds with built in mic to chat with people on discord while watching a movie the audio goes all terrible once she says anything. It seems like it switches the audio output to some crappy mono thing when chatting. I can find a decade of random posts about this issue and I can't tell if this is just how it goes with bt or its a limitation of the earbuds and/or bt receiver not supporting a fancier protocol.

Does she need to upgrade those (adapter or ear buds) or should she pick up a bt lapel mic to work around the issue? She hates headsets/big headphones which often have dongles so trying to figure out an earbud friendly setup.

As far as I know it's a limit of bluetooth profiles. If you look at the bluetooth settings you'll typically see a "HEADPHONE_MODEL Headphone" listed as well as a "HEADPHONE_MODEL Headset" listed. It switches to the later to do two way audio and for whatever reason the frequency response stinks. I'm kind of surprised this is still a thing in 2023, but that's the way legacy technologies tend to work, sadly.

I believe switching to a separate mic would solve the problem, but Windows bluetooth implementation is famously goofy (I've heard this from multiple Microsoft engineers) so you'd probably have to try it to be sure.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Kitfox88 posted:

Budget - $0-50
Source - Pixel 6a (USB-C connection or wireless, no headphone jack on the phone)
Intended use case - Going on a 12-24 hour Amtrak trip the 30th and don't wanna be bothering other travelers with my bullshit/be bothered by their bullshit
Preferred Headphone features - Uh, I was fine with the earbuds that came with my iphone back when? Having some sort of flexible thing like a rubber sheath or such would be nice though, the earbuds would hurt after a few hours at most.

I'm aware I won't be getting any incredible high end poo poo with this budget, I mostly just don't want to step on a landmind w/r/t build quality or such but I don't recognize any of the names I'm seeing on amazon to know what to avoid.

A bit late to this party, but if I was in this position I'd go for something like the Anker Q20, which can be found for < $50 fairly often. They're over-ears, which I find a bit more comfortable for long periods of time. The other advantage of them is that the battery life is significantly higher (Specs say 40-60 hours?!) so you can leave them on for your entire trip rather than having to worry about charging them every few hours like earbuds (although you might be able to alternate earbuds). The downside are the over ears can make your ears/head warm over time and they're obviously not as compact so you can't just toss them in your pocket.

That said, the battery life issue may not be nearly as big of deal on a train since I imagine they're quite a bit quieter than a plane. Planes have such a high noise floor that I really can't stand it without noise-cancelling after years of using it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Dessel posted:

My Jabra Elite 75Ts's right unit seems to have kicked the bucket (completely silent) after slightly more than 2 years. I need them for working out in the gym, on the local bus/stuff. I have the Galaxy Beans or w/e too for when I don't want anything inside my ear canals/I want to hear around me more. Friend recommended me the Anker Soundcore Liberty 4 NC and they seem to be a decent fit, especially for better ANC which I have started to hope for after using the local public transit more. The successors to the 75T seem way more expensive too, I picked the 75Ts off a sale for less than 100€. I'll probably wait for a sale anyways for the Liberty 4s, even though they seem to be hovering just at the 100€ which is my pain point.

There's a couple options that might save you a few euros (going off Amazon.de pricing, for whatever that's worth).

I've read that the Anker Space A40's are essentially as good as any of their earbuds and are generally less expensive, but I personally can't say I've tried either. Rtings seems to like the A40s though.

If you have an Android phone, the Samsung Buds FE might be another good option. I have these and I really like them. They'll work on iOS, but there's no app to adjust settings.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

If anyone is interested I picked up this

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $2.95 | KZ Earphone Case ABS Resin Waterproof Protective Portable Storage Case Bag Box Earbud for KZ ZSN ZS6 ASX ZSX ZAX AS16 EDX
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKF0XG2

The Salnotes Zero are kinda large so I’m not sure which one would fit them better so I got both.

I've had what's probably the same case as this resin one for a few years. It's a little tight getting the IEMs and the cable in (Blon BL-02), but other than that it works great.

Bright Bart posted:

Is there any better deal than Samsung Buds FE if you own a Samsung phone?

I really liked Jaybirds even though some don't. But they're all out of stock in the EU store.

I'll add another positive vote for the FE's. I have Buds+, Buds 2, Buds 2 Pro, and the FE's thanks to the aforementioned Samsung bundles and the FE are probably the most comfortable and best fitting of all of them.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

How do the Galaxy Buds 2 measure up to what's currently popular? I've used a couple of generations of galaxy buds, liked them, lost them do some kind of damage over time. I'm not married to the brand, but I wouldn't mind using something I'm used to. I wanna use them while running and such so if they're worse than previous generations for that I'd like to know.

Are the pros substantially better?

I own the Buds 2, Buds 2 Pro, and Buds FE (Samsung just keeps including them at prices I can't turn down when I buy new phones). I can't say I've compared them to any of their competitors, but all are solid. I honestly don't notice the a huge sound quality difference between the 2 Pro's and the other two, but I've also come to the conclusion that I'm not super picky about subtle differences that others in this thread might pick up on.

The 2 Pro's are the worst fitting for me. I had to use the largest ear tips to pass the 2 Pro's "fit test" and I've never had to use anything over medium in any other earbud. The regular 2's fit me very well, but I've heard other people have issues with them so your mileage will vary. My only complaint with the regular 2's is that the touch controls are a little inconsistent and the rounded bud makes for a poor "target" for your fingers. The FE is the best fitting of all the current generation for me. The flat control surface makes for a much easier "target" as well. If they'd kept wireless charging and "touch the edge" volume control in the FE it'd be my perfect bud. If you can live without those features and the price makes sense I'd just pick up the FE's.

All three have similar ANC performance to me and it works great as needed. I now just bring one of them with me on shorter flights rather than my bulkier over-ear ANC headphones and they do just fine.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

I don't have a wireless charger, and I generally like my on-bud controls to be simple if I'm hitting stuff while running, so the FE looks pretty tempting to be honest. Gonna see if other people have input too before I decide, but you've been a lot of help, thanks!

If you're running with them then that's even more of a vote for the FE from me. The volume control on the higher end models is nice, but once I get sweaty it sometimes triggers false touches so I have to turn it off while running. The nice flat target on the FE that's easier to hit accurately while running. The only mark against them is that they're not as waterproof as the Buds 2 Pro, but the Buds+ have the same water rating as the FE and I've run thousands of miles in my pair of Buds+ in Seattle weather and never had an issue.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Looking for recommendations for wireless earbuds. I have tried Apple AirPods and found them uncomfortable, and they broke, so we can at least scratch that brand off the list. My use case is primarily when laying down in bed at night and listening to music before I fall asleep. So they should ideally be comfortable when laying on your side, but I realize this is a tough one to figure out because everyone’s ears are different and what might be comfortable for someone isnt for someone else. But it’s a nice to have really.

For that specific use case I'd suggest purpose built "sleep headphones" that use a fabric band and a thin speaker that goes over your ears rather than inside your ears. I have a super-cheap pair I got on a lark off AliExpress for < $10 and I was honestly shocked at how well they worked. I'm a side sleeper as well and these are much more comfortable then having something shoved inside my ear. Audio quality is honestly not bad considering and definitely good enough for anything I'd want to listen to as I fall asleep. Here's a link to something similar to what I have, but uses USB-C to charge instead of the ancient micro USB mine uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Soylent Majority posted:

Looking for a recommendation here for some earbuds after accidentally bringing the case for my Sony xm4s into the hot tub and killing it.

Samsung Buds 2 Pro are IPX7 rated, which should allow them to be dropped into a hot tub for a short time and survive. I think they check all your other boxes as well (Comply tips, decent sound/ANC/Transparency). The battery life is less than the XM4, so I'm not sure if that would be long enough for you. Those Sony's have one of the longest reported battery lives I've ever seen and I'm not sure I've ever seen anything close to that. If you're not using ANC the battery life should be longer, but I don't see any measurement on that. The Buds 2 Pro are typically available for around $110 on Amazon and sometimes less expensive from Samsung with a trade-in of dollar store earbuds.