Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
In the market for new headphones and looking for recommendations.

Budget - Multiple hundreds USD is fine. Not gonna do a thousand though. Mostly looking for best price/performance anywhere in the 3-digit range.

Source - Bluetooth (presumably; must be wireless either way) from an iPhone or (relatively rarely) a Macbook.

Intended use case - Wireless music listening late at night when I want to be in my living room and not in my office anymore.

Preferred headphone features - I'm really just looking for the best possible sounding wireless headphones that'll work with my phone so I can listen to music in my living room while my girlfriend is asleep (which is the only reason I wouldn't just use my stereo instead). I want wireless just so I can not worry about a cable knocking things off the coffee table as I move from the couch to a chair or walk into the kitchen to get a glass of water or whatever, and because wireless sound doesn't suck anymore it seems like. I do not need a voice assistant, ANC (there isn't any noise to cancel), any particular kind of controls (though I guess physical volume adjustment would be nice), or really anything but good sound. I don't even care about latency since this is just for music.

At the moment I have Sony MDR-7506s in the office and I love them; they're very comfortable and sound good and if they were wireless I probably wouldn't be looking for additional headphones. I've also got Beats Fit Pros for the gym and love them too for that purpose (I think they sound significantly better than the Airpods 3rd gen I also have and now mostly use for work calls). I listen to lots of genres of music but most of my more frequently-listened genres are electronic and not acoustic (though I will still listen to small jazz combo/solo piano/string quartet kind of stuff occasionally).

From reading the end of the last thread it sounds like Sony XM4 was the standard rec for things like this. Am I right? What else should I look at, if any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

qirex posted:

You could just get a Bluetooth receiver ... Wired plus a device might be the way, though. I am entirely satisfied with my Elegia and BTR7 combo for desk and couch listening. Plus you can shop for headphones without worrying about your budget going towards noise canceling and mics and such. That said you would still be dealing with a cord to some degree which definitely changes the vibe.

The Grumbles posted:

People seem to really like the AirPods Max. If you feel comfortable and happy spending that much, they're worth a look in, especially if you're in the Apple ecosystem. They're comfortable and well tuned. They've got a big ol' physical volume knob too.

The Sony XM5s are another close contender. Both have do have ANC, although you'll probably struggle to find a well reviewed set of premium wireless headphones.

You could also pick up a bluetooth receiver for your current wired headphones, if you like them...

This was helpful. I think a cord at all is just going to be too annoying in this use case, so I'm gonna have to deal with ANC/etc. I'll take a look at the Airpods Max and the two generations of Sonys. Thanks!