Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If you're willing to go with IEMs you can get a ton of mileage out of $20. My current beaters are a set of Moondrop Chus, but there are a number of other options in the same price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You could also just replace the pads if you're still happy with how they sound.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I was looking for something similar as a upgrade from my old HD595s that were literally falling apart and ended up with the ATH-R70x. I'm very happy with them, but they're bit out of your price range unless you can find them discounted.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

And if you're okay with just plopping a mic on your desk, your options open up considerably.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

FuzzySlippers posted:

Doesn't that make bt essentially useless for gaming headsets? I know they are usually dongle rf but I thought I'd seen some bt ones.

Yes it does, along with the terrible latency (yes I know there are codecs that mitigate this, but you can only do so much). If you see a "gaming" headset using bluetooth, stay far, far away.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Appoda posted:

Are the moondrops a few pages back the currently recommended for cheap TWS?

The Moondrops are $25, and the ankers are ~$60-70; is there enough of a difference there to notice much difference in quality? Also, if anyone uses earhook earbuds, gimme your recs.

In terms of sound quality they compare pretty well against my much more expensive Samsung buds (2 Pro). You can definitely feel the cheap in spots, though. The case is a bit fiddly, sometimes there's not as much audio feedback on touch input as you might like, and the companion app is pretty basic and not fully localized.

Even with caveats, they're tremendously difficult to beat for the price.

Also, don't bike with blocked hearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

A small note on mic quality: Bluetooth mic quality is (near?) universally poo poo. This has nothing to do with build quality as the mics themselves are fine, but the audio quality gets murdered because bluetooth is very specifically terrible when mics are involved.