Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
I'm on a journey to make my PC a secondary home theater when I lose mine to Bravo. This is my first stop and I'm already lost.

I was going to ask for a open back headphone rec primarily for movies, streaming services, and music. But now I'm wondering about IEMs as well after skimming the last few pages, enjoy my jabra 75ts so why not. Replaceable cable is a strong preference.

Budgeting about $1000 for everything without knowing what the hell I need yet, figured $500 for the audio, but don't want to burn money if not needed. I assume I need a DAC/amp? Been about 10 years since I even thought about buying something new, coming from a Superlux HD 681 and a not great HyperX wireless headset. If it's good for gaming that's just a nextra, not something super important.

And if anyone could point me in the direction to tune all this stuff in windows 10 that would be awesome, or if I need to buy any of the windows store stuff like Dolby Atmos or DTS Sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i don't think there's any great reason to spend $500 on iems basically ever but especially before knowing what kind of tuning you're into. also, without head tracking there is no such thing as headphone surround sound, do not waste time with anything that tells you otherwise. frankly, it's not worth much even with head tracking. you don't need anything fancier than a USB-C dongle for IEMs either, the $8 apple one is frankly overkill. i posted a bunch of "budget picks" above that would all be great as a starting (or ending) point.

I was def just throwing numbers out there to say I don't mind spending a bit more. I'm frugal to a fault and trying to open up a bit.

My post was a long way to ask if IEMs are a good fit for HT considering the bang for buck chat because it works for my use case, and do I need anything else for them to work as intended. Or if a headphone rec is actually the way to go. But yeah, considering my current options anything is an upgrade.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Thanks everyone for saving me from myself!

I'll order one of those apple dongles and choose a pair of IEMS that Dr. Fishopolis suggested. Thinking I'll also pickup a pair of comfy headphones too. Say I pick up the DT 770 - would I need something more to power it? I have an ASRock X470 motherboard with Realtek ALC892.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Nah, get the 80 ohm version and the apple dongle will be more than enough. I'd also consider the AKGs if you find the beyerdynamic treble to be a bit much, it can be intense even on the DT770 which is the least "beyer treble" beyer.

I ended up with the Artti T10 and Apple dongle, cannot believe what I have for less than $80. I was skeptical unpacking the T10s because they look and feel kinda cheap but they immersed me into Dune Part Two. Cable feels really nice but on the short side for me.

While I'm more than happy with how things landed...still have an itch to try out the DT 770 Pro X. Really appreciate the help headphone thread