Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Jagged Alliance 3 is first new "official" addition to the Jagged Alliance series since Jagged Alliance 2 was released in 1999. There have been numerous attempts since then to revive the series with new forms of gameplay, but all have fallen far short and most fans of the original series believed the series would never recover. With Jagged Alliance 3, a Bulgarian game developer called Haemimont Games (known for producing the Tropico series) decided to give it a real shot by pitching the idea of a true sequel to THQ Nordic, who own the rights to the series.

JA3 is a tactical combat game set in the fictional country of Gran Chien, located in Africa. The player acts as a sort of mercenary commander, responsible for recruiting, arming, and leading colorful mercs into combat against various enemies. The game is set in 2001 and its theme is comparable to 80s and 90s action films, with characters dropping cheesy one liners and displaying varying degrees of confidence and cynicism about the nature of their work. (The title of the thread is an example of such a response from a fan-favorite merc, Ivan Dolvich- who is known for his contempt for the commander [you]).

Gameplay takes place in two major arenas: the tactical map and the strategic map. At the tactical level, you'll control your mercenaries directly using familiar isometric commands like move, sneak, take cover, and shoot. The game has already been compared in many ways to the popular XCOM series, in that environmental considerations like cover and line of sight affect tactical outcomes. Mercenaries move about the tactical map freely until they are spotted by an enemy, at which time the game switches from a real time mode to turn-based. Every character has Action Points (AP) to spend on movement, firing their weapon, reloading, using items, etc. Unlike many other games in this genre, JA3 does not give a percentage chance when previewing a shot against an enemy - only a vague, general chance is given via a displayed circle - the larger the circle, the more unlikely a hit. Mercs will also give verbal clues to the player, indicating their own assessment of their chances.

Tactical Level:

The second level of gameplay is the strategic map, where the player can move squads of mercenaries around a large map, slowly exploring or seizing territory by successfully defeating enemies in sectors. At this level, squads can also be given special orders like training local militia, taking R&R, healing up, or repairing damaged items.

Strategic Level:

Mercenaries level up as they defeat enemies and complete objectives. Gear and equipment can be purchased and upgraded either from completing missions and quests, or stealing / exploiting the people of Gran Chien. There are some light role-playing elements as well- certain encounters will let you choose your approach, and from some of the reviews, these choices can have fairly strong consequences in the overall story.

The devs have produced some pretty high quality promo videos ahead of the release, and have communicated to the player base that modding and multiplayer will both be supported. There will be an option to have friends "drop in" to existing games for co-op, which is a big deal for a lot of players (myself included).

The game is being released on July 14 and there are already several reviews coming in. Expectations were fairly low for this game given the string of failures that preceded it, but it seems as if this could be a sleeper hit.

IGN - 9/10 (Editor's Choice)

PC Gamer - 81/100

GamingBolt - 8/10

ShackNews - "easily my favorite strategy game I’ve played in years"

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Mercs Like / Dislike list. Any character that is not available via the MERC site, I'll spoiler.

Gus - likes Len and Scully
Raider - likes Raven. Dislikes Hitman.
Fox - likes wolf, grizzly. Learns to like Fauda. Dislikes Steroid. Learns to dislike Smiley.
Len - likes Spike, Vicki, DrQ. Learns to dislike Omryn
Ice - likes Magic, Grizzly, Blood. Learns to like Livewire
Igor - likes Ivan, Grunty. Learns to like Kalnya
Mouse - dislikes Fox. Learns to dislike Steroid, Red.
Buns - likes Sydney. Dislikes Fox, Reaper
Grunty - likes Igor, Ivan, Buns
Hitman - likes Raven, Grunty. Dislikes Raider
Wolf - likes Fox
Nails - likes Fox
Vicki - learns to dislike Smiley
Magic - likes Blood, Ice. Dislikes Buns
Red - dislikes Buns
Grizzly - likes Shadow, Wolf. Dislikes DrQ
Raven - likes Raider
Barry - likes Red
Ivan - likes Igor, Grunty
Livewire - Dislikes Raider, Raven. Len is listed as both Learns to Like and Learns to Dislike, which I don't understand.
Scope - likes Sidney
MD - learns to dislike Flay
Steroid - likes Larry, Grizzly. Learns to like Kalyna. Dislikes Ivan, Igor. Learns to dislike Omryn.
Reaper - learns to like Fauda
Thor - likes Ice. Learns to like Omryn.
Sidney - likes Scope
Meltdown - nothing
Dr. Q - likes Vicki
Tex - likes Fox, Larry
Scully - nothing
Shadow - nothing
Blood - likes Magic
Fidel - learns to like Flay
Fauda - learns to dislike Kalyna, Fox
Omryn - nothing
Larry - nothing
Kalyna - likes Omryn. Learns to like Igor. Learns to dislike Flay
Spike - likes Len
Smiley - learns to like Kalyna, Fox, Buns
Pierre - Learns to like Flay. Learns to dislike Grizzly
Flay - nothing.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 21, 2023

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I've been waiting for this for 20+ years, please be loving good.

Please.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

i am excite

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
In Xcom 2 my favorite character is a big robot. I wonder what will be the big robot of JA3

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I hope the personality test features questions that will be just as dated in 5 to 10 years as JA2 did.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Kris xK posted:

I've been waiting for this for 20+ years, please be loving good.

Please.

Same OP, same.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I never played a Jagged Alliance game but I bought this anyway.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I predict: game good.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
My hopes were low until the reviews hit but I bit the bullet now. I am ready to be disappointed.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

There should be a launch stream around the same time as well.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
JA2 is one of my all time favorites. I've got a good feeling about this one, unlike all the other attempts. Seems like the reviewers do too. Really excited to try it!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The second level of gameplay is the strategic map, where the player can move squads of mercenaries around a large map, slowly exploring or seizing territory by successfully defeating enemies in sectors. At this level, squads can also be given special orders like training local militia, taking R&R, healing up, or repairing damaged items.

Strategic Level:

The tactical battles are very good, top of the genre actually, but still there are few other tactical games with great combat too, it isn't the only one. Where the game shines in comparison with the competition is how open ended, free and deep is the strategic side.
(Note, last time I played JA2 was many, many years ago, feel free to correct me).

-Just in the initial hiring phase, It's super deep, and you can go so many ways. You have to decide if to hire several mercs but novice ones, or few and veteran ones. Maybe a mix, with someone expensive that serves as pillar for the rest?
-Hell, how much starting money you should spend in hiring mercs, how much you should keep for the initial weeks for other stuff? And for how much time you should hire them?
-Then of course, there are the normal considerations of who exactly hire, if a sniper or a leader or a demolitions guys or a medic. Whatsstats they have exactly, what unique perks, what starting equipment, do they dislike someone else?
-Once finally in the game, you are totally free in how organizing your mercs. You can split them in several squads, you can transfer one guy from one to another, you can merge them later for a hard mission, each one can go against different targets or split them from the main group to 'work' as doctor and heal someone, or repair equipment or train with another merc, or raise militia, etc.
-And once you have a squad, you have to decide what to attack, where to move in the strategic map, if go for special sites like an airport or a sam site which opens up strategic considerations, or go for a mine. Sometimes you have to decide if push through a new target or fall back to recapture a sector which has fallen again in enemy's hands etc.
-Of course you have the entire economy management side. What equipment do you buy, if a new weapon or an accessory for an existing weapon, or something like NVG that opens up new tactical possibilities, what shipping method use, or use the money to hire better mercs.

It's perhaps the thing that will make players that come from Xcom series to get into a decision paralysis, in comparison with both games.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 13, 2023

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Any mention what the engine is? Hopefully something that doesn't poo poo the bed on linux

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Iymarra posted:

Any mention what the engine is? Hopefully something that doesn't poo poo the bed on linux

Unity

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Iymarra posted:

it's the Tropico 3/4/5 and Surviving Mars devs so whatever in-house one they've been using for those

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Dorkopotamis posted:

In Xcom 2 my favorite character is a big robot. I wonder what will be the big robot of JA3

Didn't JA2 have a robot? They might bring it back.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

No JP Viau? It's going to feel real bad to leave a negative review on steam after playing for 999 hours but, what can I do.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I was planning on bringing La Malice in my starting team since bringing a Frenchie to a Francophone country seemed smart plus Ice, Blood and Malice was my favorite starting team in JA2 but looks like he got cut?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
My go-to babby squad in JA2 was always MD, Buns, Barry, and an IMP with blue jeans and a white shirt named Hank Hill.

I wonder if we will get a new Ira to tag along.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I always liked furry squad. Wolf, Fox, Grizzly then Lynx once I had some income. Always played lower difficulty modes that give you higher starting funds. Don't remember if you could afford Wolf on the higher settings.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Looking forward to hiring MD, Buns, and Grunty. Again.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Quicksilver6 posted:

Looking forward to hiring MD, Buns, and Grunty. Again.

The sad part about md is they really dumbed down his dialogue. It's like he answered the wrong page and just ran with it

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

He's a nice, friendly, somewhat insecure Canadian Doctor, he'll be fine. As long as he gets in enough firearms practice.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
How do weapons work in this? I watched a couple hype videos, though I haven't read much information beyond that, and they seemed to have a lot of attachments/parts/etc. Are they modular?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Prism posted:

How do weapons work in this? I watched a couple hype videos, though I haven't read much information beyond that, and they seemed to have a lot of attachments/parts/etc. Are they modular?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UjsBAx2dM8

base weapon with slots for mods

stratego
May 6, 2007

How long do I have to wait until jagged alliance 3 1.13 mod shows up at the bear's pit?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Hopefully not long, they claim they're going to have modding support and you'll even be able to import blender models, if I remember that newspost and video right

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
Now I just need Wizardry 9.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i will girl boss my way to victory and only use women (with the exception of MD)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

That is exactly the hype video I watched, but I didn't know whether they came out or you had to luck into getting one with the mods you wanted or what.

bbobseq posted:

Now I just need Wizardry 9.

I wish :(

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Good sign: turn-based tactics game getting 8s and 9s from mainstream reviewers in TYOOL 2023

Good sign: seeming respect for JA2's sense of humor and overall vibe (a critical component of its cult-classicness IMO)

Good sign: strategic layer basically a direct copy of JA2's

Good sign: trigger discipline in the promo image

Bad sign:

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

No JP Viau?

Crisse de tabarnak, hein :mad:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm going to play jagged alliance 3 after work tomorrow :)

Edit I put the smile upside down (a "frown")

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

i will girl boss my way to victory and only use women (with the exception of MD)

MD strikes me as an egg, so I think it's okay.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GddMTHg4yyc

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

actually preordered this motherfucker after seeing all the positive reviews and I haven't preordered a game in 10 years at least. has the curse finally been broken??

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Turin Turambar posted:

The tactical battles are very good, top of the genre actually, but still there are few other tactical games with great combat too, it isn't the only one. Where the game shines in comparison with the competition is how open ended, free and deep is the strategic side.
(Note, last time I played JA2 was many, many years ago, feel free to correct me).

-Just in the initial hiring phase, It's super deep, and you can go so many ways. You have to decide if to hire several mercs but novice ones, or few and veteran ones. Maybe a mix, with someone expensive that serves as pillar for the rest?
-Hell, how much starting money you should spend in hiring mercs, how much you should keep for the initial weeks for other stuff? And for how much time you should hire them?
-Then of course, there are the normal considerations of who exactly hire, if a sniper or a leader or a demolitions guys or a medic. Whatsstats they have exactly, what unique perks, what starting equipment, do they dislike someone else?
-Once finally in the game, you are totally free in how organizing your mercs. You can split them in several squads, you can transfer one guy from one to another, you can merge them later for a hard mission, each one can go against different targets or split them from the main group to 'work' as doctor and heal someone, or repair equipment or train with another merc, or raise militia, etc.
-And once you have a squad, you have to decide what to attack, where to move in the strategic map, if go for special sites like an airport or a sam site which opens up strategic considerations, or go for a mine. Sometimes you have to decide if push through a new target or fall back to recapture a sector which has fallen again in enemy's hands etc.
-Of course you have the entire economy management side. What equipment do you buy, if a new weapon or an accessory for an existing weapon, or something like NVG that opens up new tactical possibilities, what shipping method use, or use the money to hire better mercs.

It's perhaps the thing that will make players that come from Xcom series to get into a decision paralysis, in comparison with both games.

I wonder if LW2/LWOTC fans will fare better since the geoscape there had some ja2 style flourishes, like the rebel/soldier staffing

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Bleh, just realized I misread when the game would be out on Steam. Thought it was unlocking tonight. Aw well.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 14, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Time to take out the trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Bleh, just realized I misread when the game would be out on Steam. Thought it was unlocking tonight. Aw well.
Oh FFS it's on American time isn't it? So "14th" as in 11pm 14th.