Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Croccers posted:

Oh FFS it's on American time isn't it? So "14th" as in 11pm 14th.

It says it is unlocking in 7 hours, so morning PST. Not sure where you are at.

I was thinking it was 9 pm or 12 am day before.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/THQNordic/status/1679551427616579585

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
This is the...6th Jagged Alliance game right? Not counting expansions of course.

Looking forward to an actual sequel, the reviews look great and I'm cautiously optimistic and $36 poorer.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

How will Hamous and his ice cream van appear this time? We’ll start finding out in 7 hours.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Hope the MERC people are in this, love me some useless dipshit challenge run.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

grate deceiver posted:

Hope the MERC people are in this, love me some useless dipshit challenge run.

Doesn't one of them quit when he gets his first kill?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Bondematt posted:

Doesn't one of them quit when he gets his first kill?

Yeah was that not Biff himself?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I think Gumpy has reactions where you kill someone or explode their head, but I don't remember him quitting over it. I'm also pretty sure I've used Biff well into the game.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

grate deceiver posted:

I think Gumpy has reactions where you kill someone or explode their head, but I don't remember him quitting over it. I'm also pretty sure I've used Biff well into the game.

No, Gumpy finds it amazing. Just like in Scanners!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Biff only quits on a kill in 1/DG.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Croccers posted:

Biff only quits on a kill in 1/DG.

Aaaah that must have been it. Deadly Games was my first taste of JA.

If 3 needs some time to bake i may just play through 1, DG, and 2 again cause its been a while. Not sure i have ever actually played 1.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Give me Shadow or nothing at all.

I hope some mercs arent available and you have to restart the game to get better rng. That would be gutsy for a 2023 game.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

AutismVaccine posted:

Give me Shadow or nothing at all.

I hope some mercs arent available and you have to restart the game to get better rng. That would be gutsy for a 2023 game.

not gonna happen

what should happen is merc DLC, for instance everyone is pining for Ira, and Arulco is like the perfect back story for her becoming a merc

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
From streams I've seen it looks like it works exactly like the old games where some mercs are randomly unavailable. Haven't seen anyone dial them anyway to see if they have a voicemail message.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I bought. I caved, now to find time to game.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if there'll be an XEP624 (the 'secret code' to start IMP merc custom character creation in JA2) reference somewhere

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Iymarra posted:

I wonder if there'll be an XEP624 (the 'secret code' to start IMP merc custom character creation in JA2) reference somewhere

Edmon tried it and it didn't work. I've heard they do plan on adding the custom merc option in in a future patch

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Edmon tried it and it didn't work. I've heard they do plan on adding the custom merc option in in a future patch

Wait, I thought IMP creation was in already - is it not?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Iymarra posted:

Wait, I thought IMP creation was in already - is it not?

It is. You can have one custom built work who works pro-bono from the IMP personality quiz thing. You can also bypass the quiz to gently caress with sliders/point buy directly.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Well pre-ordered my first game since Wasteland 2. A single half positive review would have been enough but the consensus so far seems to be pretty solid. Let's goooooooo.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

JA3's steam workshop is open and here's one of the first official mods

Show chance to hit
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2993428346

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gyoru posted:

JA3's steam workshop is open and here's one of the first official mods

Show chance to hit
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2993428346

Mod from the developers at that.

They also released a mod that makes every weapon comically huge.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2993461760

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

gently caress, we need someone to slam the ACORG47 into its Workshop- the best first mod for XCOM2, now for JA2

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616324092

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's weird how salty the devs are about giving people their probability of hit, especially now that the shots aren't physically modeled any more anyway.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Mod from the developers at that.

They also released a mod that makes every weapon comically huge.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2993461760

Not compensating for anything:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Panzeh posted:

It's weird how salty the devs are about giving people their probability of hit, especially now that the shots aren't physically modeled any more anyway.

?
They released a day zero mod so you can try if you want, that's like the opposite of salty.

What does "the shots aren't physically modeled" mean? In the gameplay videos when you shoot a bullet there is a rendered projectile that flies out and even has pathing through friendlies/cover and can even miss and continue past the target to hit unintended objects or people.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Panzeh posted:

What saltiness? If they were salty, they wouldn't have made an official mod for it. They didn't have an obligation to anyone to release it.
They just have put some normal disclaimers saying the game wasn't balanced with the mod in mind.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

?
They released a day zero mod so you can try if you want, that's like the opposite of salty.

What does "the shots aren't physically modeled" mean? In the gameplay videos when you shoot a bullet there is a rendered projectile that flies out and even has pathing through friendlies/cover and can even miss and continue past the target to hit unintended objects or people.

If you look in their comments in said mod which is their disclaimer, it's all salty poo poo about "this game feels like a puzzle if you know your gun's chance to hit" and "the ai only works if you don't know what your chance to hit is" and poo poo like that.

So, what i mean by that is, in old x-com, for example, the shot just shows up in a cone and goes where it goes, which is why the hit percentages in that game(and openxcom) are somewhat fictitious, so excluding them makes sense. But if you're literally running a to hit formula, and having that determine whether you hit the target, you ought to show the result.

Hawke
May 1, 2008
I won't personally be using that mod because I want to enjoy (and get mad at) not knowing the exact chance to hit, but it's great that it's there as an option if people want it. It doesn't seem particularly salty to me, just explaining that this isn't how they designed the game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hawke posted:

I won't personally be using that mod because I want to enjoy (and get mad at) not knowing the exact chance to hit, but it's great that it's there as an option if people want it. It doesn't seem particularly salty to me, just explaining that this isn't how they designed the game.

Yeah, that's fair, i'll probably use it, honestly its existence is nice.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Looking at the screenshots of the mod.
Basically the body parts are torso > legs > arms > groin >> head. In two screenshots it is:

torso x%
legs x-10%
arms x-15%
groin x-20%
head x-40%

However that penalty for aiming a harder to hit location is smaller if you spend points aiming. In the first screenshot he spends 6 ap instead of 4 ap and is Head: x-26%.
I'm curious in how range (weapon effective range vs used range) and markmanship stat affects this.

It’s a gamey system, obviously the head shouldn’t be harder to hit than the groin, but we can imagine it’s balanced around the fact a head shot will be a multiplier damage.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 14, 2023

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Is there a Bobby Ray in the game? Some review mentioned ammo being a bit too scarce to use suppression a lot.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I wonder if it’s going to be like og xcom where if you roll a hit then it’s a hit but if you fail the the roll then the ballistics modeling takes over and the bullet goes wherever in the cone

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's out

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
You can activate your code on DLGamer if you got it through there.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Turin Turambar posted:

Looking at the screenshots of the mod.
Basically the body parts are torso > legs > arms > groin >> head. In two screenshots it is:

torso x%
legs x-10%
arms x-15%
groin x-20%
head x-40%

However that penalty for aiming a harder to hit location is smaller if you spend points aiming. In the first screenshot he spends 6 ap instead of 4 ap and is Head: x-26%.
I'm curious in how range (weapon effective range vs used range) and markmanship stat affects this.

It’s a gamey system, obviously the head shouldn’t be harder to hit than the groin, but we can imagine it’s balanced around the fact a head shot will be a multiplier damage.

In the videos I've seen it looks like the system is just a series of + and - for certain things like auto fire adds a - to accuracy and damage but being on high ground adds a + and trying to hit smaller items like limbs or nuts gives a - in accuracy too but a + in damage so you basically just weigh your negatives and positives before each shot rather than pure %

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

First inpressions from the 100% review guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyHP_nR_III

(tl;dw: surprisingly good)

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

There are only 6 portraits for IMP so I hope mods allow you to add more or replace the existing ones

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gyoru posted:

There are only 6 portraits for IMP so I hope mods allow you to add more or replace the existing ones

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

nice SMAC reference