Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
The answering machine messages are in. Boys, we're back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Rip Pops.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Has anyone found the slur yet?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Croccers posted:

Has anyone found the slur yet?

I will when I can get past initial merc selection since the ones I want (some, anyway) are on mission and I don't know if this does the JA2 thing of 'they could die on another mission unless you leave voicemail which prevents this'

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
All mercs automatically reload when combat ends, 10/10 GOTY

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Both Ice and Blood unavailable on first run. Booo this game.

Wanna hear Nails say "don't touch the vest scooter" though.

StinkingWolf
Jul 23, 2001
Morally Bankrupt
JA2 is one of my all time favorites. I have been waiting so long for this.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Two things to complain so far-

My video card is struggling with it, was recording and it crashed. Never had this issue before
Sound mixing is all over the place, the opening cinematic was loud enough to peak even after lowering the game volume

That's it, otherwise it feels real JA2. Starting with Mouse, Ice, Dr. Q and an IMP who looks like Dale from The Castle (it's the vibe)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Always been interested in this series as I loved the new-style XCOM games and have been looking for new tactical games. Would love it if people could post general impressions as they play.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Restarted until a bunch of mercs I wanted weren't offline - ended up with almost all of the Elite rank unavailable.

This bodes well

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The IMP test is lot more over the top this time... but it did make me laugh.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The animations are cute.
When they run into cover they actually shuffle/scoot to slow down.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Croccers posted:

The animations are cute.
When they run into cover they actually shuffle/scoot to slow down.

The enemies do action rolls lol

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xarn posted:

The IMP test is lot more over the top this time... but it did make me laugh.

You can't access it until you've hired mercs and hit land, right?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Iymarra posted:

You can access it immediately with IMP Web tab at the top of the web browser

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Iymarra posted:

I've been looking at this youtube playthrough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKV6WBdfBU
which seems reasonably competent and they do the IMP test before the first map.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Aw no Buzz or Lynx. No more forcing the world's most divorced couple to fight in the same squad. I'm assuming most missing mercs will be modded in fairly quickly though.

Raider and Raven are still in so at least that power couple survived. Buns loathes Fox, Fox is still super horny for Wolf but hates Steroid, they kept a lot of the previous Merc relationship dynamics going at least.

The unique perks each Merc gets are pretty neat also. Fidel throws two grenades at once, etc...

No selecting a specific voice for your IMP though, that sucks. RIP "TIME TO TAKE OUT THE TRASH!".

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 14, 2023

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I'm not a huge fan of needing to click on every character again to assign movement. You have to click them once to select them and then click again to show the outline where they will move. Seems like they should have just make right click move like in real time gameplay.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gyoru posted:

You can access it immediately with IMP Web tab at the top of the web browser

I just realised you had to exit the initial hiring screen and oh my god, the password

We're back

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oh no Biff what have you done.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
forgot I can't get Fox and Steroid at the same time, she's so much better now ugh choices

also Grizzly? you're out of the point team, that upcharge makes you just another body

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

forgot I can't get Fox and Steroid at the same time, she's so much better now ugh choices

also Grizzly? you're out of the point team, that upcharge makes you just another body

Yeah Fox's gains since JA2 have upgraded her to "Actually a good frontline medic instead of a backup". Perk seems useful as well.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the fact that this is apparently actually very good is loving wild to me

after however long of disappointments

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Forgot this was coming out today. I preordered it months ago based on developer diaries and a few previews and it just finished downloading/installing.

Hope I have time to play later today, but definitely this weekend and will try to post some thoughts.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How does the game factor in who the squad leader is (a star)?
Fox is my squad leader despite reshuffling the squad and reforming it entirely, but my IMP merc has a higher leadership than her - unless it's Fox's teaching perk that makes it her by default.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Iymarra posted:

I just realised you had to exit the initial hiring screen and oh my god, the password

We're back

xep624?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

exploded my first head

game owns

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah Fox's gains since JA2 have upgraded her to "Actually a good frontline medic instead of a backup". Perk seems useful as well.

Fox was always good and i will not listen to any disagreement :colbert:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I just met Luc and he told me how the Legion got to his son. Pretty much the 101 out of the fascist playbook.

Immature writing my rear end. It just shows how broke brained gaming journalism is nowadays, when they blatantly ignore good stuff like this, while focusing on the one or two things their Twitter brain did not like.

Anyway, it's 2023 and we suddenly have a good (maybe great if the game keeps it up) Jagged Alliance title again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Did they really record lines for talking to every npc with any merc? Cause I was not expecting my hired mercs to actually have voiced lines in conversations.

Also...you can't see the hit chance or am I blind?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Jack Trades posted:

Did they really record lines for talking to every npc with any merc? Cause I was not expecting my hired mercs to actually have voiced lines in conversations.

Also...you can't see the hit chance or am I blind?

Hit chance is hidden specifically as a design decision. You need to play this poo poo by ear and roll with the punches, my friend.

The devs did post a mod on the workshop today to make hit chance visible, but note that the difficulty of the game was balanced on the assumption you don't know.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Lmao Raider now refuses to work with Hitman, I guess he got tired of Hitman always hitting on his wife.

Also all the AOL instant messenger style screen names the mercs have in the hiring window are great.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Jack Trades posted:

Here's how it works: when you click through the dialogue options, there's a chance that one of your mercs says an additional line in reaction to that choice.

For example: Igor understands Luc's situation. Grizzly is eager for the machinegun that Grease Basil mentions...and so on...it's looking good so far if the rest of the game is as reactive as the tutorial island.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hammerstein posted:

Here's how it works: when you click through the dialogue options, there's a chance that one of your mercs says an additional line in reaction to that choice.

For example: Igor understands Luc's situation. Grizzly is eager for the machinegun that Grease Basil mentions...and so on...it's looking good so far if the rest of the game is as reactive as the tutorial island.

Oh, CRPG style. Of course. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Can someone confirm that if you don't move your merc you can spend all AP into aim? like JA2? that's all I need to get this game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Initial impressions: the game feels like it runs slower than it should.

e: the gameplay itself has a few rough edges but it seems fine. I guess the litmus test going forwards is if the combat areas get more complex.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Initial impressions: the game feels like it runs slower than it should.

e: the gameplay itself has a few rough edges but it seems fine. I guess the litmus test going forwards is if the combat areas get more complex.

Turning down View Distance and Object Detail helps a lot and so does turning on DLSS (or FSR or XeSS) with a lower Resolution Percent.
Neither of those impact visual quality much.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Do not ask unstable explosives enthusiasts you encounter in the wild about "jokes", it, uh... Well, you remember Smoke from JA1? Of course you don't, he liked those kinds of "jokes".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HKS posted:

Can someone confirm that if you don't move your merc you can spend all AP into aim? like JA2? that's all I need to get this game.

It seems like you can only spend 3 extra AP on aiming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

It seems like you can only spend 3 extra AP on aiming.

Is there a hard limit of one firing action per turn, or if you have the AP for it can you eg blast off your action-cheap pistol as many times as you have AP for?