Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah you can fairly easily stealth kill your way to the bottom of the presidents mountain, the area is fairly spread out enemy wise besides that last stand area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

have they fixed the way stealth kills work, like not being able to queue up actions? it was incredibly fiddly when i first started.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
They did add in an official active pause that you can toggle on which might help with that

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

bibliosabreur posted:

There's an evidence counter that ticks up with every bit of evidence that you get, and with enough pieces you can absolutely nail her for war crimes.

Pieces of evidence that I remember:
* Bunch of evidence right after the refugee camp attack that you can get to right before the Army ambush; they'll let you wander around gathering evidence before the big confrontation. Pieces include the dead shaman and the dud gas shell; you need someone with high Explosives to disarm the dud shell.
* Correspondence on Col. Faucheau's desk; you need someone with high Leadership to crack the substitution cipher.
* The old hermit in the woods down near Port Cacao -- if you realize who he is, and you completed the Manor Ghost quest with the Butler still alive, reuniting the two gets you some evidence.
* Biff, if he survives, can be persuaded to testify.
* The Major will provide his contract when you beat him, and if you convince him to defect over to your side, it unlocks additional dialogue options with Corazon that results in even more evidence.
* Demanding "the truth" from Corazon gives you one last piece of evidence.

I don't know how many are needed to convict Corazon, but if you get everything you end up winning the court case decisively.

Ok, the refugee camp was hit while my squads were moving in on the Major at Eagle Nest, so the Colonel never Kubrik stared at me, i skipped that ambush, and i never had dialogue with him. Did cut his head off from stealth to start the fight in his fortress :v: Still got the evidence from his desk, but I had no eye witness to place the Colonel there for that connection. Refugee camp evidence was snagged while I was retaking the map from the Army.

Got the butler back with his friend in the woods, saved Biff, got the green diamond from him with reformed Larry, had the Major there to confront Corazon, got his contract, The Truth. So I guess getting ambushed at Refugee Camp is required for the best ending there.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I did both in my first run, in all my runs in fact

For Biff, you have quite some time to get there, and its not that far away. Dont remember how much now, but it wanst never hard to get there in time (and you can also kill the squad moving there, after that you will have infinite time to go rescue him)

As for the president, yeah I got him killed first try but than I reloaded a save.

If you kill the squad moving on Biff's position on the strategy level, you have unlimited time to save him after that. The kill Biff trigger is that squad hitting his map tile.

sebmojo posted:

have they fixed the way stealth kills work, like not being able to queue up actions? it was incredibly fiddly when i first started.

Melee attacks can be queued up and if say a patrolling guard walks through a door past the guy waiting, you will auto knife. guns still require timing. grenades more so. wiffing a 40mm because you didnt lead the walking patrol sucks.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 9, 2024

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I saved the president on my first try without save scumming, but I was running a very cheesy comp of 5 snipers and Barry with grenade launcher at the time. Every goon trying to make it to the president got either sniped or exploded :v:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

woodenchicken posted:

The president thing surprised me, so I sorta cheated and started bombarding the tent with the grenade launcher making sure not to hit him and using mercs' remarks to confirm that someone got hit. It took a bunch of tries, but eventually Fauda managed to reach him.

This is kinda how I do too

With Livewire in the team you can see everyone on the tent, so I shower them with grenades being careful to not hit the president

Burns
May 10, 2008

Another way to "protect the president is to use mortar smoke rounds on top of him. All shots will become glazing hits so you can give yourself some extra time to kill any assailants.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
poo poo that's brilliant. Smoke is hella OP.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

winterwerefox posted:

Ok, the refugee camp was hit while my squads were moving in on the Major at Eagle Nest, so the Colonel never Kubrik stared at me, i skipped that ambush, and i never had dialogue with him. Did cut his head off from stealth to start the fight in his fortress :v: Still got the evidence from his desk, but I had no eye witness to place the Colonel there for that connection. Refugee camp evidence was snagged while I was retaking the map from the Army.
Moving through either chokepoint sectors of that area triggers the rush.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
OK, I finished my first playthrough.

Bottom line up front: It's really good! As a big JA2 fan back in the day this is a worthy successor. The comparison of the Firaxis XCOM games to original X-Com is pretty good.

Wondering if ARs got fixed at some point because at least on normal difficulty they were solid weapons. Snipers are better 1 hit kill weapons, but ARs are much better for overwatch, aren't cumbersome like some sniper rifles, and can mount 40mm GLs, which rule. With AP ammo even 5.56 rifles seem OK? I leaned more on 7.62 for the higher damage, but the lower action point cost was good for more sluggish mercs, plus early in the game using all of one ammo type gets dicey.

M82 .50 sniper seems like a waste when 7.62 snipers with AP ammo hell murder everything with headshots anyway. Not sure what I'm missing here? Shooting through walls with a thermal scope maybe?

I might never bother with RPGs or mortars since 40mm GLs are so handy. I never really used placed explosives, feel like that was more a missed opportunity on my part though.

Cheap mercs with high wisdom can turn into monsters fast. Barry, Livewire, MD were all MVPs. Livewire and MD turned into sniper monsters without really trying. Barry's free super grenades were helpful early and stayed useful till the end.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I hope some of the super nerds that modded 1.13 are already working on recreating the main JA2 map and campaign in the new engine with all these free modding tools. I'd love to revisit arulco with the updated engine

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sean10mm posted:

I never really used placed explosives, feel like that was more a missed opportunity on my part though.

Proximity bombs are worthless since the enemy has to step directly on them, which I have never seen happen. Timed ones are okay as just big grenades, but the remote ones own. Dealing with tunnel freaks is a lot easier with a handful of remote PTENs in a narrow space.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

Proximity bombs are worthless since the enemy has to step directly on them, which I have never seen happen.
Worse than worthless, because your own guys will happily step on them if you don't micromanage them outside of combat.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I hope some of the super nerds that modded 1.13 are already working on recreating the main JA2 map and campaign in the new engine with all these free modding tools. I'd love to revisit arulco with the updated engine

I'd love to see a big overhaul mod like 1.13 for this, too, but I'm prepared to wait a long while for something of the same scope and quality to be realized.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Back at the governor's mansion you get told the enemy are going to make a big push through the main street so I had Barry place all his remote explosives there. It was like 20 or so goons so the chain explosion killed half and severely harmed the rest, it was great.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Barry is king!!!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

sean10mm posted:

I might never bother with RPGs or mortars since 40mm GLs are so handy. I never really used placed explosives, feel like that was more a missed opportunity on my part though.

I had Barry use an RPG before I found an MGL, and on occasion after as 40mm HE remained dear the whole time. Its very solid on its own.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Dandywalken posted:

Barry is king!!!

hes so good

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd like to roll with a different main squad on a replay but it's really hard to imagine not bringing Barry and Livewire. My other three were MD, Meltdown, and Grizzly--effective, but not game changers.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Can’t live without Barry because all the other explosives dudes are so expensive. Kalyna is a mediocre replacement for Livewire but at least she’s still cheap.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RoyalScion posted:

Can’t live without Barry because all the other explosives dudes don't pull Grenade +1's out of their butts

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Barry motherfucking Unger is the best.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dandywalken posted:

Barry is king!!!

BARRY

UNGER

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Where's Trevor damnit.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Is this stable and feature-finished now?
I don't care too much about the promised mod tools for full overhauls and 3rd party campaigns.
It's a little concerning though that all the popular mods seem to have been abandoned half a year ago, and now you gotta trick them into working by disabling/re-enabling them ingame or something glancing from comments.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
This game was stable and feature finished on release.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Croccers posted:

Where's Trevor damnit.

Trevor Colby 'ere, howyadoin'?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

gross

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

I don't care too much about the promised mod tools for full overhauls and 3rd party campaigns.
It's a little concerning though that all the popular mods seem to have been abandoned half a year ago, and now you gotta trick them into working by disabling/re-enabling them ingame or something glancing from comments.

So far the mod scene is kind of garbage but it doesn't need mods and is really stable. 62 hours and no issues.

e: Some simple mods like "mines don't run out" work fine without messing around. It looks like all the portrait mods are AI garbage that aren't even formatted right half the time, which is too bad because there are way too few IMP portraits to choose from.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I use 2 mods: mines dont run out (cause I like to take my time) and the custom settings mode, so I can increase squad size and tailor the difficulty to my liking

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

All the high wisdom/low price mercs are great. I'm going to play with different mercs this time but it's hard to give up on Barry and Livewire. Hell, MD got up to like 87 marksmanship without much effort, and Raven is a goddamn killbot.

I found that having a cheap training squad to run around and keep militia at 100% was handy, but at normal difficulty fighting with 2 squads at once was more trouble than it was worth usually.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
2 squads aint required of even that useful even in the highest difficulty. Except if you want to defend the massive army attack (but you can just let the army take everything instead too, which is not such a big problem)

I always end up doing 2 or 3 squads just because its fun

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I found multiple squads useful for the final missions and the Nazis were a fuckin nightmare without the extra firepower.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I didint play the nazis yet, but yeah, for the fort attack or the Major camp, and a few other hard missions, 2 squads are useful

But never really required

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I got impatient towards the end of my first playthrough and I think I missed most of the Nazi killing stuff. :saddowns:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

sean10mm posted:

I got impatient towards the end of my first playthrough and I think I missed most of the Nazi killing stuff. :saddowns:

The Nazis didn't get added until mid December so they may not have existed yet depending when you played

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

sauer kraut posted:

What you might be seeing is that early mods were kind of a hack and then proper mod tools were introduced that didn't need any work arounds. I wouldn't gauge the game's completeness or lack thereof off of mods. It was feature ready at launch and all the stuff they've added since could be considered extra rather than what was missing. I personally would like a rebalance of some of the perk trees and weapon types, but I could live with how they are presently.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
The only thing that was missing at launch was Bobby Ray's. The game is feature complete now that that's been added.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
When does the big midgame event happen? I've cleared the refugee camp, cleared camp du crocodile, cured the plague, and got all the mines and cities up to port cacao, but still nothing. I had been avoiding the refugee camp since it sounded like that was the trigger, but nope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You'll be invited back to the refugee camp for a meeting. Don't go until you're ready.