Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I always liked furry squad. Wolf, Fox, Grizzly then Lynx once I had some income. Always played lower difficulty modes that give you higher starting funds. Don't remember if you could afford Wolf on the higher settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
From streams I've seen it looks like it works exactly like the old games where some mercs are randomly unavailable. Haven't seen anyone dial them anyway to see if they have a voicemail message.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Spoilers for fleatown questline ending:

Has anyone done the questline involving this games kingpin analogue? I've just done his quest and feel like I missed something. Rescued Luigi (Jackhammer is a real piece of poo poo, hiding in his room getting automatic reaction shots with his AA-12) and headed back to the mansion. Get the option of supporting either Luigi or Kingpin but to be honest I feel like I don't really know why I would want to support one over the other. Choosing the option to support neither turns both groups hostile.

Played through twice, once signing with kingpin which seems to get me a bunch of loyalty with fleatown, some money and the promise of a future quest. The other time I killed them both, that fight is an absolute monster, as soon as you select the dialogue option you are insta-surrounded by over 20 guys, first time I did it my entire team was stood in the middle of the square and got absolutely evaporated on the first turn. You can cheese it pretty easy though since combat doesn't actually start until you talk to someone so I dropped some remote detonated TNT in the middle of both groups, ran everyone up to the roof and had my fastest merc initiate the conversation and the sprint up to the roof once combat starts. First turn I blow both of the TNT which absolutely decimates both groups and makes it actually winnable. Still got banged up real bad though because some of the dudes have a lot of health and can apparently take a TNT blast to the face and keep attaching. However after doing it I'm not sure its even a good idea? You get way less loyalty, and no one seems to care. Feels like you should get something for winning such a huge fight but it kinda seems like you don't? Feel like I missed some story beats here.

Game is cool, I miss the variety of 1.13 though. The gameplay is probably better than JA2 but its missing army man dressup simulator. I also don't love a lot of the outfits that mercs wear, some of em are look like goofy costumes. I made my team Raider, Raven, Wolf, Grizzly, Scope and an IMP focused on Medical/Explosive/Mechanical skills since they were the only mercs I could find who bothered to put a vest on.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Pretty sure you still get Herman's reward even after turning him in.

Also hot tip, the sack of cash you get has a use later in the game so may as well hold on to it, unless you are running out of inventory. Don't sweat it too much because there are plenty of them around.

Anyone get much use out of unique weapons? Found two so far, an auto 5 in Port Cacao and a sniper rifle in the northern mine. The sniper had a pretty nasty mega trait so I scrapped it and the shotgun seemed worse than the modified auto 5 I already had but I'm wondering if the special skill it has actually does something to make it more useful?

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Yeah Raider and Raven are great, they have tons of unique interjections in the cutscenes and often have a bit of a double act where eg Raider will say something and Raven will give a direct response to what raider said which I haven't from other characters yet.

They even have an ambient line about the "Flandersons" so I'm pretty sure the Flanders relation was intentional.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah that sheet puts Grizzly at second place for value and I would argue he’s unsalvageably bad. Dex and Agility that low can’t be fixed, and they’re too important.

Pretty easy to fix with a bit of training and his off the hip ability is real nice. He's great for returning the training back in health and strength. Have him and fox spend some quality time together and build out two very nice stat lines.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
The sight mount on the AA12 is just too hideous to use. I'm using the benelli instead, although it might just be better anyway with its higher base damage and range.

Agreed that ARs/SMGs are a bit weak compared to Rifles. Machine guns are good but a 1 per team item since they eat ammo like crazy. Shotguns are surprisingly great.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Can you change recoil values to balance burst and auto, or maybe just lower accuracy in general with ARs and SMG?

Also has anyone else found a gasmask yet? I found one and equipping it actually puts it on the mercs head, so there is code for equipping armour having a cosmetic effect. Hope this means visible armour is possible.

No idea why the gasmask and nothing else is the only visual change though

Kuno fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 18, 2023

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Is there a way to resolve the Smiley questline without a big dumb fight at the church? The fight isn't hard for my mercs but the idiot stands right out in the open in the church and seems to get sniped by the end of turn 1 every time I try.

And he doesn't even have the courtesy to drop his dragunov.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
PSG doesn't have cumbersome. I guess it depends on your playstyle but I hate not having the flexibility of free move so I don't use any of the cumbersome weapons.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Wonder how good you could get Gus if you got him ASAP and fed him every skill mag you came across. There are a lot of static spawns and some market stalls that constantly restock random mags. Don't know what exactly the threshold for hiring him is though, just having Scully in the squad? Gus is already mega expensive so adding Scully's wage in as well probably makes that no go early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
The IMP I made for my first run was 80 wisdom, 80 leadership, 80 medical, 80 mechanical, 80 explosive, lowest possible physical and marksmanship stats. They were absolutely terrible in a fight, but honestly, having a single merc to do all the skill checks so I could focus on combat mercs worked out fine. By the very end of the game they had 90+ in all the skill-check skills and had scraped all the way up to about the battlefield performance level of a level 1 Livewire.

Since then I haven't used an IMP at all and prefer to just take one more talking head even if it is sub-optimal. Might try a leadership focused IMP again though just so I can retire the Raider-Raven pair because otherwise that insane leadership, plus teaching, plus negotiator and plus synergistic skills and morale boosts is really hard for me to not take every single time, although it is a bit less impressive now Raider can't basically teleport across the world map.