Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYPbbksJxIg

The film world waited with bated breath to see what came next from playwright-directing couple Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig after their smash hit White Noise, but the time has finally come for their next project, Oppenheimer. Moving into the biopic space, Gerwig and Baumbach have created a gripping, compelling character piece about the man who headed the development of the atomic bomb, but would like you to know they have no opinion on its use. A performance-driven film headed by the likes of Ryan Gosling in the titular role and Margot Robbie as his troubled wife, Oppenheimer hopes to tell the story of the man who made the apocalypse ready to go whenever the powers at be feel like it, in a candy-coated shell for all to enjoy.

With a soundtrack album featuring the likes of Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish, and Ice Spice, and a toy line set to captivate adult children the world over, Oppenheimer is set to be the event of the summer, but may still not be about a bomb bigger than The Flash.

How likely is this film to cause an international geopolitical incident?

You would be surprised!

Is this movie safe for families?

The film is rated PG-13 by the MPAA, meaning it should be fine for most, but very young children may be disturbed by realistic depictions of melting dolls. We recommend desensitizing your children through repeated showings of Terminator 2.

When will the movie be available for home streaming?

Most li - Mr. Nolan, hello! How did you get into my hou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
kind of surprised nolan didn't make oppenheimer dirty blonde after his expies in inception and tenet looked exactly like him

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
There’s no way Nolan makes this movie if Oppenheimer didn’t say that Bhagavad Gita quote

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
The final "trailer", (Nolan calls it an "Opening Look") is just ... wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOsIKu2VAkM

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Everything in that trailer is purestrain Nolan, it's great

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I live in DC and nowhere around me is playing the movie in 15/70, only 70mm (which I’m seeing on Thursday).

I’m going to NYC the weekend of Aug 11 and was excited to see I can already reserve tickets for 15/70 at AMC Lincoln Square but uh…

I guess a bad seat in 15/70 is better than no seat at all? Not sure if I should take something in the center in row 3 or one of the side seats halfway back.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Really want to see this in proper imax but all the good seats are taken even for showings 2 weeks from now. Might have to settle for regular 70mm or laser

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://www.indiewire.com/news/general-news/paul-schrader-oppenheimer-best-movie-century-1234885368/

Kinda insane praise from a notoriously hard grader (the actual best movie of the 21st century so far is First Reformed).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm the two wheelchair seats right near the edge of the front row.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'm the two wheelchair seats right near the edge of the front row.

if you're there, where's the little boy?

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Watched this earlier on a regular theater and the sound still kicked rear end despite not being ATMOS. The opening minute alone would put the rumbly bass scenes in Interstellar to shame.

Will re-watch it again on a better cinema later this week because the PQ was blurry and I missed out on a lot of dialogue due to the lovely center channel. The best one we have in my country is IMAX Laser and apparently it has white/black squares that show up in bright scenes. Is that normal and tolerable?

Edit: Looks like a screen shaker problem

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 19, 2023

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The review embargo dropped: https://www.metacritic.com/movie/oppenheimer/critic-reviews

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

:drat:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm seeing a lot of 'this may be his greatest movie'

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Got tickets for Tuesday afternoon for the only real IMAX screen in Denver.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And even then it’s still digital lol

But that is my go to for any Imax. Seeing tdk there was absolutely sublime and I’ll remember that opening shot for the rest of my life

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm seeing a lot of 'this may be his greatest movie'
Memento will always be his greatest movie, followed by The Prestige.

I found Dunkirk to be something that was less than the sum of its parts and that didn't end up hanging together as a great movie, and Tenet was a complete swing-and-a-miss. I'd be lying if my expectations weren't a bit down.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pablo Bluth posted:

I found Dunkirk to be something that was less than the sum of its parts and that didn't end up hanging together as a great movie, and Tenet was a complete swing-and-a-miss. I'd be lying if my expectations weren't a bit down.
Dunkirk was fine but I know a lot of people didn't like the divided narrative. Tenet was also not well received but I thought it was alright. Nothing amazing but it was an interesting experiment.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Even with Matt Damon’s awkward performance and McConaughey screaming Murrrrpphhhhhh I absolutely loved Interstellar and I think about that movie so much. The music, the shots of the spacecraft spinning, the black hole - just an awesome movie experience.

Inception, Memento, The Dark Knight and The Prestige are also great.

I can’t get tickets to the 70mm version unless I want to sit front row, so I’m just gonna see it in regular IMAX. I’m hyped!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m a little concerned that I went with non-IMAX 70mm over IMAX with Laser for my first viewing due to missing out on the aspect ratio. :smith: People still talk about the opening scene of The Dark Knight in IMAX which I only saw in a regular theater. 😭

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 20, 2023

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I don’t even remember the opening of TDK for IMAX I just remember the truck flip.

And then the whole theater going ape poo poo when Gordon pulls of the mask.

Oh right the bank robbery. Eh I mean that is a neat sequence but there’s no shot seared into my brain.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The first frame of the movie which took up the entire imax screen. I legit felt a sense vertigo. I’ve seen some imax documentaries but there was something unique and special about tdk.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I remember TDK opening scene IMAX version being released/leaked and I watched it so much before the movie came out on my 16:10 15.4” laptop 😂

I guess seeing Oppenheimer for the first time in 70mm isn’t the worst since most of the movie is shot in 2.40:1 anyway. And I’m seeing it at Lincoln Square in 15/70 in a few weeks. Will just have to hope the IMAX scenes still hit the second time around.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Did anyone not like Insomnia? I thought it was great and one of the early examples of what would be staples in Nolan's work.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched it after staying up all night and figured well why not. And it kinda ruled because unless I really was that tired the film started doing edits that evokes that almost shuttery feel you get when you haven’t slept. Everything feels fragmented

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 20, 2023

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Dunkirk > Prestige

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dunkirk > Prestige
Woah now let’s not say things we can’t take back

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Disharmony posted:

Did anyone not like Insomnia? I thought it was great and one of the early examples of what would be staples in Nolan's work.
I saw it in a small cinema when it came out, I recall enjoying it, and I'be been meaning to rewatch it. But at least in the UK it's never TV, it's always totally unavailable on any streaming service, and the dvd/blurays are barely available at what's left of the dvd/bluray retailers. Most Brits probably haven't seen it....

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Interstellar is a great movie. With a soundsystem that's turned up enough to shake your bones and render the dialogue audible it's incredible

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Does anyone know how far along the nuke timeline this film goes. Just want to know if we going to get to see when Godzilla killed Oppenheimer in revenge for him nuking japan?

Seems like a good place to end the story IMO.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

dr_rat posted:

Does anyone know how far along the nuke timeline this film goes. Just want to know if we going to get to see when Godzilla killed Oppenheimer in revenge for him nuking japan?

Seems like a good place to end the story IMO.

It doesn't show Japan getting nuked. Just them talking about it afterwards. The final hour is mostly wrapping up the snippets from the hearings shown throughout the first and second half.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Disharmony posted:

It doesn't show Japan getting nuked. Just them talking about it afterwards. The final hour is mostly wrapping up the snippets from the hearings shown throughout the first and second half.

So they don't even show a single godzilla?

Lame.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dr_rat posted:

So they don't even show a single godzilla?

Lame.

It's set up for the sequel

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Incredible - Nolan's best

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dunkirk > Prestige

The Prestige > Batman Begins > Memento > The Dark Knight

don't really care about any of the others. Opp does look good though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Prestige > Memento > Inception > Interstellar > Dark Knight Rises > Batman Begins > Dunkirk > Dark Knight > Insomnia > Following > Tenet

Anything above Following is good; Following and Tenet are "ok" but not worth revisiting.

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/DisneyPrimePlus/status/1682049795282673664?s=20