Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
Do I need to wear a Tuxedo to see this movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

No, you do need to wear a rumpled suit and a fedora though. Non negotiable. If you see this movie at an alamo drafthouse and you're not wearing a rumpled suit and a fedora, someone will hold up a complaint card and get you kicked out.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

dr_rat posted:

So they don't even show a single godzilla?

Lame.

No, but Heisenberg and CIA shows up in the midcredits to set up Super Smash Nolan.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

No, you do need to wear a rumpled suit and a fedora though. Non negotiable. If you see this movie at an alamo drafthouse and you're not wearing a rumpled suit and a fedora, someone will hold up a complaint card and get you kicked out.

My friend won’t go see it with me until next week because the Alamo showings are sold out and he wanted to wear suits Lol

So I’mma see it today sorry friend

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Darko posted:

Prestige > Memento > Inception > Interstellar > Dark Knight Rises > Batman Begins > Dunkirk > Dark Knight > Insomnia > Following > Tenet

Anything above Following is good; Following and Tenet are "ok" but not worth revisiting.

Dark knight rises the best of the trilogy? Wild. To each their own!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

everything with Bane in The Dark Knight Rises rules but whenever Bane isn't on screen i'm asking "where's Bane?"

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Dark knight rises the best of the trilogy? Wild. To each their own!

The only movie of his that I’ve enjoyed since dark knight was dunkirk. And even that required a rewatch for me to fully appreciate it

I’ve got high hopes for oppi though

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Interstellar gang

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Just saw it. It was okay.

It was not quite what I expected.

I felt like it tired to do too much and managed too little.

The John F Kennedy bit at the end was the dumbest and funniest poo poo ever. It was like some marvel post credit scene.

I'll write more when I'm not tired from sitting in the cinema for four hours.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I don't remember the last time I walked out of a movie feeling something like that. It's like, I liked it, but not sure if I enjoyed it ... if that makes sense

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I also have no idea about how I feel about this movie. Its extremely well made but emotionally, dunno. I love how Nolan finally shoots a nudity sex scene and its still sexless.

kiminewt posted:

Just saw it. It was okay.

It was not quite what I expected.

I felt like it tired to do too much and managed too little.

The John F Kennedy bit at the end was the dumbest and funniest poo poo ever. It was like some marvel post credit scene.

I'll write more when I'm not tired from sitting in the cinema for four hours.

Kennedy was super instrumental in that though. It's a real thing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Through the Trinity test was great. There is just whole nother hourish after that with the stakes completely ratcheted down. I really had a hard time caring if he lost his security clearance or what happened in the pissing match between him and Robert Downey Jr

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Does it have the squash court pile in it?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

FPyat posted:

Isn't that the one in the trailer?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
1) The Red Scare dominates the movie a lot more than I expected - but then Nolan does love his paranoid narratives so I guess that work. He even tried to make the climax of the movie about RDJ's character's revenge, which is a very Nolan choice if you think about it.

2) I feel like there was a bit of a missed opportunity in not insisting more on the part where the Nazis weren't anywhere close to building the bomb, which adds to the tragic irony of the whole thing.

3) :lol: that Truman calling him a crybaby made it into the movie.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

FPyat posted:

Yes, for a second (the one scene with Fermi). A lot of silly historical anecdotes made it in for a second while a lot of the big historical things were ignored.

Bits that I remember:

The Kyoto honeymoon thing (though obviously not in the way it was shown).
Feynman and the car windshield, plus the bongos.
Teller and sunscreen.
Bohr fainting on the plane.
Truman calling Oppie a crybaby.

As someone who's favourite (non-fiction) book is The Making of the Atomic Bomb I felt like there is a lot of things that this missed telling. Not in the historical sense but in the sense of ideas.

(Going into specifics, don't know if I'd call it a spoiler:)

On the other hand, it tried to fit in a bunch of things but didn't quite focus on any: the morality of the bomb, Oppenheimer himself and his maritial/mental state, the whole "scientist leaving themselves out of politics", the red scare, the whole "courtroom drama bit" with the security clearance/confirmation.

It felt like it missed a bunch of very interesting ideas but at the same time tried to showcase too many in a way that made me ask - what is this film actually about?

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 21, 2023

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I'm surprised that I'm far more positive on it than much of the thread. I think this is really Nolan's best, and the most his movies have ever been "about anything", some of the strongest performances and character work he's ever done are in this too. I loved everything about this structure and it avoided many of the pitfalls of the dreaded "biopic" genre and was genuinely unsettling at end.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Did the Barbenheimer double feature last night

If this was just the third hour it’s not just maybe my favorite Nolan film, it’s in my top 3-4 films of the year. As is, I think it’s merely his peak visually and audibly (but nowhere near the total package Prestige was, especially thematically) and it’s in my year’s top 6-8

There’s a scene in the final hour that is the most scary unnerving thing I’ve seen all year, and it’s not even the bomb-drop scene lol. Everything he tried and failed to do with Tenet audio-wise he knocks out of the park here

Also this is RDJ’s best performance in easily a decade, minimum

Barbie’s my film of the year

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

thepokey posted:

I don't remember the last time I walked out of a movie feeling something like that. It's like, I liked it, but not sure if I enjoyed it ... if that makes sense

This is exactly how I felt. My first words to my friends were "that was a lot to digest." It was a great movie, well acted, and my heart was racing and I felt tense during certain scenes, but I wasn't expecting the movie I saw and I'm not convinced the general public will like the order of events. But I get it, the movie is as much about the man as it is his accomplishments, in that context the Trinity test being the end of act 2 makes sense but I wasn't as engaged for the 3rd act.

A few random thoughts -

Truman, even though he had 2 minutes of screen time, it was so fun to see him act like a jolly good 'ol boy then when he sensed weakness, it was like a light switch flipped and he turned into a shark. Super fun to watch that.

I appreciate how they convey Oppenheimer's "view" of the world, like once you've peeked behind the curtain and once things "click" you just see the world different.

Matt Damon was excellent. I really enjoyed his performance. "I don't like it" "you don't like anything so that's a terrible metric" had me dying.

I'm going to say it. I was underwhelmed by the actual Trinity test explosion. I don't think he did enough to convey the size and power, which sounds crazy because during the black hole scene from Interstellar I felt like the theater and everything on screen was going to be ripped apart, so I had higher expectations. In real life, to say these explosions are big cannot be overstated. These are the kind of bombs that witnesses have seen and felt sick to their stomach from because they're HORRIFYING to witness.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

LaserPrinter69 posted:

I'm going to say it. I was underwhelmed by the actual Trinity test explosion. I don't think he did enough to convey the size and power, which sounds crazy because during the black hole scene from Interstellar I felt like the theater and everything on screen was going to be ripped apart, so I had higher expectations. In real life, to say these explosions are big cannot be overstated. These are the kind of bombs that witnesses have seen and felt sick to their stomach from because they're HORRIFYING to witness.

Yeah, for sure it felt like it was missing some sort of feeling of scale. There was no real sense of how far they were or how big it was, or how it looked to them. Almost like we go a shot of the explosion and then they just heard a boom and went home.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
My main thoughts on this is that I should have gone into it remembering he made Tenet more recently than Intersteller. I didn’t watch it in IMAX but I feel it would not have made it more epic.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

YaketySass posted:

3) :lol: that Truman calling him a crybaby made it into the movie.

I had to Google it immediately after I left the theater and it's even better because Truman actually called him a "son of a bitch" at the time. The "crybaby [scientist]" happens the next year in reference to him, and Nolan switched it to that instead. Waving the handkerchief was also hilarious.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Disharmony posted:

I had to Google it immediately after I left the theater and it's even better because Truman actually called him a "son of a bitch" at the time. The "crybaby [scientist]" happens the next year in reference to him, and Nolan switched it to that instead. Waving the handkerchief was also hilarious.

I need more accurate presentations of Truman as a ghoulish hayseed.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

thepokey posted:

Haven't seen the movie yet but this is Nolan in a nutshell imho. I felt very similarly walking out of the theater after both Inception and Interstellar, both of which I have zero interest in sitting through in full nowadays. Each has a few individual scenes I'd be interested in rewatching, but as a whole?...

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Polo-Rican posted:

Haven't seen the movie yet but this is Nolan in a nutshell imho. I felt very similarly walking out of the theater after both Inception and Interstellar, both of which I have zero interest in sitting through in full nowadays. Each has a few individual scenes I'd be interested in rewatching, but as a whole?...

This is like that but without those scenes

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched this in 70mm and....I'm not sure that makes sense. I think I would've preferred seeing it in IMAX laser or Dolby Cinema.

70mm IMAX would be best of course but you probably don't live near one and if you do, screening are sold out for weeks.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Just got out of seeing it at the BFI IMAX, and I loved it. Felt the most like Nolan making a "literary" film as opposed to an genre film since Memento. The picture quality was of course fantastic, the B&W IMAX scenes looked the best, aside from the scenes of Oppenheimer dreaming of sub atomic particles, the Trinity test itself, and the New Mexico landscapes (Nolan should make a western next). There was lots of lovely grain in the regular 70mm B&W shots as well.

I appreciated how much it focused on inspecting Oppenheimer's politics, and how they influenced his views on global cooperation and peace, with the implied irony of "well, we know how that turned out", and also didn't go with a jingoistic "we won the war and that's that" theme (good moment of realisation when the drumbeats from the multiple trailers was revealed to be the stamping feet in the Los Alamo community centre) and the sound design in that scene was great and gave it the gravity it deserved.

Was surprised how much RDJ was in this, though I liked the final hour revealing the intrigue of his cynical deception and eventual downfall. I think after the build up to, and the actual blast itself, the film needed that breathing room to show Oppenheimer's apprehension, and the different reactions from the main players.

Some good cameos (of actors and historical characters), haven't had a chance to check IMDB for who was who, but on lots of occasions was going "oh it's him!" - for example I didn't realise that was Jack Quaid playing Feynman playing the bongos until the end credits. Goransson's score was good, and although it was a lot more varied,I felt it was a little derivative of his previous work on TENET - I'm sure we heard bits of the Protagonist theme at the end.

Finally, aside from the Trinity test, the two loudest moments were someone clapping Oppenheimer on the back.

edit: yeah, to echo those sentiments, I don't think it's an essential film to see on 15/70 IMAX (unlike Interstellar) but I'm glad I did. And agreed that the Trinity test was slightly underwhelming, but I think this might be due to Nolan's insistence on doing it practically - from the clips I've seen of him talking about it, they shot it on a smaller scale which just wouldn't match up with a smaller scale set, though we did get an idea of how far away the observers were from the very delayed sound.

Carpet fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 21, 2023

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I wonder if Nolan has ever attended a science lecture or talked to a scientist. I assume he did and didn't think they and that were very cinematic.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Carpet posted:

someone clapping Oppenheimer on the back.

The mixing on that scene sounded like a silenced pistol.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Cpuld tell the theatre was getting kind of restless by the end, with a huge (unintentional?) laugh from the theatre when Einstein turned up in his trackies., among other bits. Whoever wrote that line about Kennedy should feel embrassed.

But honestly I mostly really liked it. Really appreciated the cutting, which isn't something I normally associate with Nolan's things.

Disharmony posted:

The mixing on that scene sounded like a silenced pistol.

I thought this was kind of clever tbh.

Though, structurally speaking, I thought it was odd that the movies play with subjectivity randomly extended to Kitty's perspective for a single scene, but otherwise exclusively lived in its two separate perspectives. (Waves and particles)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Cpuld tell the theatre was getting kind of restless by the end, with a huge (unintentional?) laugh from the theatre when Einstein turned up in his trackies., among other bits. Whoever wrote that line about Kennedy should feel embrassed.
I’m not sure if you mean the line itself was bad but the vote was real: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/86-1959/s85

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m not sure if you mean the line itself was bad but the vote was real: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/86-1959/s85

That line was bad.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It had the beat of silence for cheers right after like a cameo in a Marvel movie.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I really enjoyed the final scene. If I'm ever the survivor after the opening salvos of a nuclear world war, I will remember that line very clearly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DUDE!

The guy who played Klaus Fuchs played the same role on the Manhatten TV show lol

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Oh, something I've just been thinking about while listening to the score - near the start there's two chapter titles 1: Fission and 2: Fusion. I thought the film was going to be split into chapters with more titles like that appearing, but unless I missed something no more showed up? I'm seeing it again on 35mm tomorrow so I'll check again.

Also I hope Cillian's eyes are just as blue as on 15/70 IMAX :swoon:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Carpet posted:

Oh, something I've just been thinking about while listening to the score - near the start there's two chapter titles 1: Fission and 2: Fusion. I thought the film was going to be split into chapters with more titles like that appearing, but unless I missed something no more showed up? I'm seeing it again on 35mm tomorrow so I'll check again.

Also I hope Cillian's eyes are just as blue as on 15/70 IMAX :swoon:

Yeah I think you're correct.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
lol
https://twitter.com/nozomimeanshope/status/1682413598138593280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Back on the score, I'm on the track 'Theorists' and yes there's "ba bwaa bwa" bits straight out of the TENET Protagonist theme (although I did love those bits, and aside from the opening of Rainy Night in Tallinn are one of my favourite parts of the score).