Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also General Brad Pitt admitting he wouldn't have given Oppenheimer his clearance under McCarthy-era conditions, but the same could be said for over half the Manhattan Project both because of said standards and because they needed those people regardless of other issues.

General Matt Damon you mean, Tom Hanks rescued him from the front lines damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Mooseontheloose posted:

General Matt Damon Jesse Plemons you mean

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Mooseontheloose posted:

General Matt Damon Adam Devine you mean

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Messaged David Krumholtz on Instagram to tell him how good he was in this movie and he actually sent me a thank you back! Such a pleasant lil interaction!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

josh04 posted:

The bomb was pretty much the logical next step of the work on splitting the atom, which wasn't a secret. What ended up happening is that scientific progress in physics reached a point in the freely available literature and then just stayed there for a while, while all the big names got hoovered up to work on Manhatten.
I remember reading that Soviet scientists realized that American and German scientists were working on a bomb when physics papers from both countries stopped being published.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Messaged David Krumholtz on Instagram to tell him how good he was in this movie and he actually sent me a thank you back! Such a pleasant lil interaction!

He was great in the film. That's awesome. ^_^

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bogus Adventure posted:

He was great in the film. That's awesome. ^_^

He really was. I didn't recognize the actor or name, but he was great. (insignificant early spoilers for Oppenheimer)I mentioned that I was lightly rankling against this movie nearly the beginning, but I was on board right with his scene talking about how a bomb falls on the just and the unjust and legacies. A terrific performance in that scene. Honestly, I don't think anyone was bad in this movie, only maybe a few who were good.

Also, I finally looked up who Josh Hartnett was in this movie. Wow, he looks different, but of course it's been 15 years since I saw him in Sin City. He was great too.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Magnetic North posted:

He really was. I didn't recognize the actor or name, but he was great. (insignificant early spoilers for Oppenheimer)I mentioned that I was lightly rankling against this movie nearly the beginning, but I was on board right with his scene talking about how a bomb falls on the just and the unjust and legacies. A terrific performance in that scene. Honestly, I don't think anyone was bad in this movie, only maybe a few who were good.

Also, I finally looked up who Josh Hartnett was in this movie. Wow, he looks different, but of course it's been 15 years since I saw him in Sin City. He was great too.

Same, I didn't realize who he was. He just felt like a real human rather than someone playing a role, and he instantly became one of my favorite characters in the film.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Hartnet had a good role in the most recent season of Black Mirror as well (which came back much stronger than the previous several seasons).

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Hartnett also starred in a series called Penny Dreadful a few years ago that was pretty good. He hadn’t just disappeared.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Hartnett is a good actor. He's come a long way from his role as the delinquent selling fake drugs in The Faculty.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

Bogus Adventure posted:

Hartnett is a good actor. He's come a long way from his role as the delinquent selling fake drugs in The Faculty.

Hey, I resent any implied derogation of his role as the delinquent selling fake drugs in The Faculty!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lobster Henry posted:

Hey, I resent any implied derogation of his role as the delinquent selling fake drugs in The Faculty!

He was good as this guy

I just liked him better as Ernest Lawrence

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Hartnett is wonderful too. This movie is a real boon if you love “that guy” actors doing amazing work. This thing is FULL of em! In addition to Krumholtz & Harnett, there’s Clarke, Goldwyn, Blair, Modine, Dehann, gently caress the list goes on and on!!!

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

He was decent in 30 Days of Night.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Prior to Penny Dreadful he also spent about a decade in Asia starring in a number of lesser known films in the region. None of them were especially good, but he was pretty good in them.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The first hour of the film felt extremely fast. Seemed as if the scenes were each a minute long, jumping across years of time at breakneck speed.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Hartnett is wonderful too. This movie is a real boon if you love “that guy” actors doing amazing work. This thing is FULL of em! In addition to Krumholtz & Harnett, there’s Clarke, Goldwyn, Blair, Modine, Dehann, gently caress the list goes on and on!!!

It's a perfect movie for that. You've got a movie that requires a lot of different characters. Then you've got a lot of actors that would kill to be in a Nolan movie and actors that Nolan already likes and uses when possible.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I was really pleased to see Benny Safdie in it, I had to look up if it was really him when he first showed up. Him and his brother are responsible for two of my favourite films ever (Good Time and Uncut Gems)

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Safdie’s great too, but I think of him more as a director. That being said, I heard he’s planning on focusing more on acting for the next stage of his career.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Saw it again, this time at the Hollywood Theater in Portland. My big gripe is that I was expecting it to be in 70mm as it's one of the few spots in the state that can show it that way, but instead they were showing Orlando on their big screen. :geno:

I did appreciate this more as I knew who was who. This was more or less exactly like when I watched the 1st season of Game of Thrones with my friend who insisted we watch it immediately again. While it wasn't in 70mm the sound was actually really good & the design team should be given credit for when to drop out everything else for specific moments.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Safdie’s great too, but I think of him more as a director. That being said, I heard he’s planning on focusing more on acting for the next stage of his career.

https://twitter.com/fellawhomstdve/status/1696498633951072583?s=20

I honestly would not be suprised if within 5 years benny gets a role as mr freeze, or maybe even as the governator in a dramatic biopic of Joel Schumacher

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 30, 2023

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I don’t get the joke in that tweet (if it’s a joke). Can you please explain it to this dummy :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The joke is the tweeter is shocked by good acting

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Jewmanji posted:

I don’t get the joke in that tweet (if it’s a joke). Can you please explain it to this dummy :(

If they didn't loving nail every scene, Nolan was going to atomize everyone they ever loved.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jewmanji posted:

I don't think it's a joke. The person is just wondering why they were acting their asses off for minor characters that wouldn't be put up for awards.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think it's a joke. The person is just wondering why they were acting their asses off for minor characters that wouldn't be put up for awards.

Perfect film twitter logic

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It’s just a way of complimenting their performances. It isn’t a literal question.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I really like the Casey Affleck casting. I've always found him to seem unsettling or weird, so having him play the psychotic commie hunter character who is poorly LARPing as a regular person was loving inspired.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bogus Adventure posted:

I really like the Casey Affleck casting. I've always found him to seem unsettling or weird, so having him play the psychotic commie hunter character who is poorly LARPing as a regular person was loving inspired.

The character he plays, Pash, has a really weird biography. Definitely take a minute to read his Wikipedia.

Ok maybe not weird, but interesting

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 3, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man outlived the USSR. Had to be bizarre to be able to visit it after seeing it rise and fall

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Jewmanji posted:

The character he plays, Pash, has a really weird biography. Definitely take a minute to read his Wikipedia.

He's a man who did a lot of things. Fought in two World Wars, fought in the Russian Revolution, and taught high school PE.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Having seen the movie at last (what took me so long) I have to say that I have no idea why people would want it to end with the Trinity Test

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

DeafNote posted:

Having seen the movie at last (what took me so long) I have to say that I have no idea why people would want it to end with the Trinity Test

TBH the nuclear bomb is a technology emblematic for having no long term effect on the course of human history. :thunk:

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I enjoyed reading about his epic mission to chase down all the German nuclear physicists in the closing days of WWII, who were in reality a million miles from making an atomic bomb. But nobody knew that for sure, so it was in fact an extremely important mission. But really the Nazi atomic program had been given less than 1% of the amount of money that had been poured into the Manhattan Project, and it was calculated later that the Americans actually spent more money sending a special team in to capture all the Nazi nuclear scientists and their equipment than the Nazis had spent on their program itself. When Pash and his men got to the labs being used for their uranium experiments what they found was amateurish, university experiment-level stuff.

Also after Pash had captured all those German nuclear physicists, the Allies wanted to ensure that they did indeed have a full and total understanding of how far the Nazi nuclear program had come, so rather than harshly interrogate them, what MI6 did was just take the ten most important ones, put them together in a house that had been bugged from top to bottom, and for 6 months just listened to them talk to each other. That gave them absolutely all the info they were looking for.

Oh, I think they also intentionally supplied them with a bunch of booze in the house to get them more talkative. Funny stuff.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 8, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Once again proving that the greatest super power is just being gullible and having money. The US beat the USSR by believing all the hype and throwing money at making things they thought the USSR had.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Once again proving that the greatest super power is just being gullible and having money. The US beat the USSR by believing all the hype and throwing money at making things they thought the USSR had.

This is also how the US ended up with something like 25,000 nuclear warheads in our arsenal by the late 60s though, enough to blow up the whole world dozens of times over. The assumption was always that the USSR had more nukes than they actually did and we needed to build more to keep up. Then when Soviet spies got an inkling how how many nukes the US was building, they legitimately started building more to keep up, and so on and so forth.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sucrose posted:

Also after Pash had captured all those German nuclear physicists, the Allies wanted to ensure that they did indeed have a full and total understanding of how far the Nazi nuclear program had come, so rather than harshly interrogate them, what MI6 did was just take the ten most important ones, put them together in a house that had been bugged from top to bottom, and for 6 months just listened to them talk to each other. That gave them absolutely all the info they were looking for.

Oh, I think they also intentionally supplied them with a bunch of booze in the house to get them more talkative. Funny stuff.

Ah, the origin of the Big Brother tv show.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

duz posted:

Ah, the origin of the Big Brother tv show.

Sadly “Captured Nazi Nuclear Scientist House” was canceled after only one season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://x.com/filmupdates/status/1703064647581008118?s=46&t=_fVsts1-26_-vpwC3rOANA

A victory for all.