Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sucrose posted:

Sadly “Captured Nazi Nuclear Scientist House” was canceled after only one season.

Why do they cancel all the good shows. :(

Also A few of the lead scientists were actively against the nazis and were leading the research into areas they thought would look legitimate and would be defensible but they thought would be very unproductive.

Oh and they heard the news of the Hiroshima bomb while at the bugged house, and obviously had a very long conversation about it. I think the transcript for that was lost though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I do find it surprising how well Oppenheimer has done, I like that it's done well but never would have thought it would be close to a Billion even with the Nolan cred behind it. I honestly just didn't think that the bomb or the man would be that interesting for most people.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Gaius Marius posted:

I do find it surprising how well Oppenheimer has done, I like that it's done well but never would have thought it would be close to a Billion even with the Nolan cred behind it. I honestly just didn't think that the bomb or the man would be that interesting for most people.

Also rated R just because of some boobs so it's definitely impressive

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tenkaris posted:

Also rated R just because of some boobs so it's definitely impressive

Honestly feel like they absolutely went for the R rating on purpose so it comes off as more of An Important Movie For Grown-Ups.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Oh and they heard the news of the Hiroshima bomb while at the bugged house, and obviously had a very long conversation about it. I think the transcript for that was lost though. :(

Naw the recordings were destroyed immediately but the full transcripts were kept and even published as a book decades ago, just search "Operation Epsilon: The Farm Hall Transcripts"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly feel like they absolutely went for the R rating on purpose so it comes off as more of An Important Movie For Grown-Ups.

Don't rated R movies just make more than PG and PG-13?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The opposite I thought, PG-13 has become sorta the desired rating the studios try to squeeze most movies into, because it says “this isn’t a kids’ movie” but also doesn’t cut anyone off from seeing it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

The opposite I thought, PG-13 has become sorta the desired rating the studios try to squeeze most movies into, because it says “this isn’t a kids’ movie” but also doesn’t cut anyone off from seeing it.

Yeah I think this is specifically true for like big tentpole blockbusters, you want adults to bring their older kids to watch the big spectacle movie but an R rating might scare them away. I think many people just subconsciously drop the "-13".

I doubt Nolan in particular gave a poo poo what rating to aim for and probably has enough sway at this point to push back on the studio telling him to put in more swears to hit the coveted R rating to make the movie "seem like it's for grown-ups" (because a bio-pic that's partially in black and white about a boring physics guy would seem too kiddy otherwise??)

And if people are somehow unfamiliar with American morality weirdness, a single boob is absolutely enough to get an R rating. I think at this point you get upwards of 2 "fucks" before it tips to R, I believe context is important and might factor in other swears. You can basically show all the violence you goddamn want tho, hell yeah!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I find it a bit confusing at times since Australia uses different ratings standards than the US, but more I figured if it was rated PG13 or whatever people would think it must be boring and dry history with lots of guys in suits standing around talking about allegedly important things, but with an R rating people think 'wow it must be hardcore'. I was expecting way more graphic shots of nuke victims personally.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nuke victims are probably pg-13. But lots of boobs and sex gets your R. Oh and some “fucks”.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Need to go back the the 80s ratings where Poltergeist gets a PG rating.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

Don't rated R movies just make more than PG and PG-13?

Yeah as others have said, no, it’s the complete opposite. Oppenheimer is now literally the second highest grossing R-rated movie at the worldwide box office ever (not factoring for inflation), behind only Joker, which will stay #1. And I remember very well when Joker came out people were like “There is no goddamn way an R-rated movie is going to hit a billion dollars. Just no way.” That had a crazy box-office run.

Only nine R-rated movies total have ever grossed more than $600 million worldwide. If you do factor for inflation I think the highest-grossing R-rated movie is The Exorcist, it made some absolutely insane amount of money for the 1970s and I don’t think anything else has ever come close to it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah a PG-13 movie is always going to have a wider audience than a rated R movie. There's a whole swath of teenagers you can't get into your movie if it's rated R.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

First time I saw a teen getting carded at a theatre I almost vomited, this used to be a free country dammit.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

The character he plays, Pash, has a really weird biography. Definitely take a minute to read his Wikipedia.

Ok maybe not weird, but interesting

Fighting USSR since its founding and living to see its end, must be satisfying for a generational hater.

The movie is golden to make you go for Wikipedia dives for every minor character. Was surprised to learn that Teller and Sakharov actually met in late 80s.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Deadpool kinda proved that ratings don't matter a lot if people really want to see it, and an overfocus on PG-13 led to PG-13 terminator, alien, and Die Hard movies. Although several PG-13 movies also push that rating to its "limit."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh I missed this. Wellerstein on Oppenheimer. https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/fact-fiction-and-the-father-of-the-bomb-on-christopher-nolans-oppenheimer/

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Good read. Interesting that some of the stuff I thought I read was real like the Apple and gym speech are questionable. But like he said, those scenes made good film.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I mean the Oppenheimer sex scenes were awkward enough that it probably needed an R rating just to preserve some poor kids sanity

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I am becuuuuuuuuum ah gently caress too early gently caress

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I am becuuuuuuuuum ah gently caress too early gently caress

Post nuke clarity

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://x.com/coreyatad/status/1722682181506465855?s=46&t=_fVsts1-26_-vpwC3rOANA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AMVs are back, baby.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Coward Nolan didn’t do that

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dug a couple steps up the tweet chain

https://x.com/coreyatad/status/1714987116214603895?s=46

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Mooseontheloose posted:

Josh Hartnett getting revived will be a strange legacy of this movie.

Also David Krumholtz did a great job as well.

From a while back, but I just saw the movie. Maybe I'm over-rating the guy, but is krumholtz like, an under-appreciated Oldman-teir actor? Every time I see him in something (Serenity, The Deuce, Oppenheimer) he looks different and sounds different, but still keeps a remarkable screen presence.

Which yeah I mean, no poo poo that's what actors should do, but I can probably count on one hand the numbers of actors who make me forget I'm watching an actor and make me believe in all their characters.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Eason the Fifth posted:

From a while back, but I just saw the movie. Maybe I'm over-rating the guy, but is krumholtz like, an under-appreciated Oldman-teir actor? Every time I see him in something (Serenity, The Deuce, Oppenheimer) he looks different and sounds different, but still keeps a remarkable screen presence.

Which yeah I mean, no poo poo that's what actors should do, but I can probably count on one hand the numbers of actors who make me forget I'm watching an actor and make me believe in all their characters.

He's pretty drat amazing, and he gives so much in this film. Like, I immediately fell in love with his character in Oppenheimer because he's just so genuine and caring.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally got around to seeing this, via the 4K UHD disc. Kind of regret not seeing it in the theater, but they bring back Nolan films often enough.

The comparisons to JFK are fine and all, but I'd say the film this shares the most DNA with is Lawrence of Arabia. Just seeing a brilliant physicist get one chance after another to take a stand on something. The speech scene gave me this feeling of dread, where you just see the last remnants of his idealism vanish so he can make a crowd-pleasing jape. I really liked how Nolan leaned into more abstract stuff like the way he visualizes physics or the shots of nudity during the interrogation. Going to have to take in more, but I think this might by my favorite of his films after Inception. It's been a while since I've seen a film that just stirs up so much dread and unease like this.

Also, can we please have more films shot in 65mm monochrome? I've never seen black and white look so gorgeous and sharp before.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They brought it back to imax recently, you might be able to still catch it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Invalid Validation posted:

They brought it back to imax recently, you might be able to still catch it.

Yeah it re-expanded wide this weekend for maybe the 5th time. I don't think it has actually been out of theaters since release but they've added screens a few times for awards or slow weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
The score for this movie is absolutely wonderful. I liked the movie the first time I saw it, but there's so much there it really took a rewatch to appreciate some of things it does.