Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

MeinPanzer posted:

This is such a lazy counterpoint that always gets trotted out in CD threads. Why does film criticism have to begin and end with assessing the film as presented? It's perfectly legitimate to explore what works and what doesn't in filmmaking by thinking about how a film could have been done differently, provided it doesn't become some elaborate and masturbatory fanfic exercise.

Because no one else has access to the hypothetical "better" version being imagined! If we were to discuss that version we'd have to speculate on what is already a speculation. It could very well be better; making only slight changes as opposed to elaborate ones - but we haven't seen it, it doesn't exist! It's just easier to talk and argue about the actual movie because it's something irl that we all saw, can rewatch/check, etc.

Fwiw I think it's fine to imagine how a story could be improved and so on, as long as the speculation is grounded first in the actual movie being discussed. But it's also an approach that seems prone to cases of misunderstanding or misinterpretation of the film as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

MeinPanzer posted:

me: imagining a slightly different version of the trinity test scene.

the movie police: put your hands up and get on the floor! your under arrest for stealing the property of Christopher Nolan.

And these "movie police" as you call them, are they in the thread with us now?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think it's a joke. The person is just wondering why they were acting their asses off for minor characters that wouldn't be put up for awards.

Perfect film twitter logic