Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

taiyoko posted:

Mom used to send my sister and i out to one or two of them a summer when we were in line elementary school, just as a free way to get us out of the house for a couple of hours. The most :psyduck: thing about them that i remember is how they had a pledge of allegiance to the Bible and the "Christian flag". Don't remember the latter, but for some reason the former has etched itself into my brain.

<quote>
I pledge allegiance to the Bible
God's holy word
I will make it a lamp unto my feet
A light unto my path
And hide it's words in my heart
That i might not sin against God</quote>

drat, I had forgotten all about those. Blast from the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Did that puppet just move on it's own? Seriously this isn't funny.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Fur20 posted:

god i hated chapel. we read a lot of revelations, though, while pretending to listen to the sermons, because what other part of the bible would you expect edgy teenage boys to read

Same with me in CCD (what we called Catholic Sunday School back then). Everyone else would be doing some lame worksheet, and I'd finish it early and root around in the closet for those cheap New American Bibles we had hundreds of with the flimsy red covers and look around for something interesting. I liked Revelation and the plagues of Exodus.

My parents didn't let us buy Goldeneye 007 when I was a kid because they said it was too violent. So I was surprised when we were sleeping overnight in our Catholic Church for our pre-Confirmation mini-retreat and found that the Church had a N64 and Goldeneye. We played all night and hoped the sounds of gunfire wouldn't wake up the priest.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 15, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I was an altar boy as a young Catholic. A major report came out a few years ago on all the known abuser priests in my diocese. Turns out I dodged a few of them by a matter of months. :sweatdrop:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

So glad my mom was Protestant and dad was a Catholic. There was enough family drama from the Catholic side that my parents said gently caress religion and only exposed us to it if we were curious.

I think my sister went to Catholic mass once with my grandma... Us boys were not invited. My grandma had severe issues with men and was definitely not happy to have been married.

Very lucky to have had such amazing parents tbh.

My mom's brother's are all evangelical nutters because they got addicted to alcohol and or cocaine during and after college and Jesus saved them. 🙄

They did mellow out a lot when they got older. One is dead and I think the other teaches at some weird medical/Christian college... Wesleyan or something? I don't really know the history of it but it seems super religious.

They managed to raise some weird rear end nerdy cousins I got to see at least once a year during childhood.

Got some good and cool cousins too but they are also super into Jesus just not weird judgy ppl.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 15, 2023

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Vampire Panties posted:

At one of the last camps I attended, the main counselor dude had all the boys stay behind at campfire one night. Then he proceeded to tell a story about how there was this big mountain, and this company was mining the top, and they were hiring truck drivers to haul dynamite to the blasting site. This company gives a trial run to two drivers. One flies up the mountain, banging through gears, sliding all over the road, swinging the trailer out over the side, totally out of control but the driver is the best, so they make it to the top and back in absolute untouchable record time. The 2nd driver drives up the mountain safely, stops for stop signs, and makes the trip in twice the time of the first driver. The company hires the 2nd driver. At the end of the story, IIRC almost verbatim the camp counselor says "thats your sexuality. You're driving a loaded dynamite truck driving up mountain roads, and you have to ask yourself - are you being safe? are you going to get hired?"

EDIT i should add that the counselor dude was selling the 1st truck driver hard, as if they were genuinely enthused to meet that dynamite truck driver one day.

:dafuq: To this day I have no idea what morality he was trying to convey. Is getting laid getting hired? do I need a commercial drivers license for that? :ohdear:
Sounds like your counselor really liked Wages of Fear.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

During a confirmation class at our Presbyterian church our lead pastor who had a doctorate was teaching it & I was surprised he was affable & happy to answer theological questions, like explaining differences between us & Lutherans or Catholics, the role of Shinto in Japan, how Mormonism & Seventh Day Adventists differ on big issues, and he’d mention interesting mission trips he’d been on. This was a surprise as his sermons were dull as dishwater & he always seemed in a hurry to leave.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

I was an altar boy as a young Catholic. A major report came out a few years ago on all the known abuser priests in my diocese. Turns out I dodged a few of them by a matter of months. :sweatdrop:

Congrats!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I “taught” music at vacation bible school. It wasn’t amazing, but during free periods we teachers got to use the whole sanctuary sound system to sing Disney karaoke, which was extremely fun at the time as a 12- or 13-year-old.

I also went to liberal hippie Christian summer camp. 11/10, it was one of the high points of my year. I always wanted to be a counselor there, but by the time I was old enough for that (college), I was also old enough to take an actual money job so I had to do that instead. I missed my chance to fraternize with the nose-studded, unshaven-legged, French-braided, genuinely gorgeous college girl counselors (PS I turned out to be bi) and to spend all summer swimming and going on nature walks and singing.

e: disclaimer: not creepy, I was in middle/high school when I had crushes on the college counselors

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 15, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Animal-Mother posted:

WE'RE THE GRAPES
OF WRATH
WE NEVER TAKE A BATH

Silly yanks, wrath doesn't rhyme with bath.

Unless you're mispronouncing 'bath'.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Rebel Blob posted:

Sounds like your counselor really liked Wages of Fear.

Thank you! I was trying to remember the name of that movie!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

taiyoko posted:

Mom used to send my sister and i out to one or two of them a summer when we were in line elementary school, just as a free way to get us out of the house for a couple of hours. The most :psyduck: thing about them that i remember is how they had a pledge of allegiance to the Bible and the "Christian flag". Don't remember the latter, but for some reason the former has etched itself into my brain.

<quote>
I pledge allegiance to the Bible
God's holy word
I will make it a lamp unto my feet
A light unto my path
And hide it's words in my heart
That i might not sin against God</quote>

This is the one i had to learn at school from grades K-1, we'd recite this and the pledge of allegiance everyday.

I pledge Allegiance to the Christian flag,
and to the Savior for whose kingdom it
stands, one brotherhood, uniting all
Christians in service and in love.

Not a cult though. My family decided cali was too librul and moved me to loving middle of nowhere Idaho at 2nd grade.

Also my teacher loving lied to me when I asked if there were fireflies in Idaho. "oh yeah tons of them". loving bitch.

Fatman6942!
Jul 3, 2023

by vyelkin

Grey Cat posted:

Alright everybody with me
Our god is an awesome god he reigns
From heaven above with wisdom x50 times

rear end in a top hat.

Father Abraham had many son, many sons had father Abraham, I am one of them and so are you so lets just praise the lord!!!

I

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Oh boy Christian kid songs. I was one of the choir boys back around Jr high school or so. Once they had us do Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah but with the lyrics changed to actually be about god instead of sex metaphors.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Anne Whateley posted:

I also went to liberal hippie Christian summer camp. 11/10, it was one of the high points of my year. I always wanted to be a counselor there, but by the time I was old enough for that (college), I was also old enough to take an actual money job so I had to do that instead. I missed my chance to fraternize with the nose-studded, unshaven-legged, French-braided, genuinely gorgeous college girl counselors (PS I turned out to be bi) and to spend all summer swimming and going on nature walks and singing.

I went to 2 Christian camps a year until my Junior year of Highschool due to my grandparents each making a point of me going and tossing money at my mom to make me go.

1 was a cool loving place in the middle of the mountains where the Jesus content was pretty minimal outside of reminding us to be good people (as in helping others), and the 2 hiking camps I attended in HS were basically entirely non-religious outside of taking the same bus and being based out of the camp. We basically spent one day packing hiking bags, slept, then hosed off to go hike in the Black Hills for 5 days.

The other one was basically ran by poorly socialized fundamentalist teenagers who fully internalized the "nobody should ever get to do anything approaching fun, ever" mindset of their parents. My church group was from the liberal-rear end branch of Lutheranism which is why I never got why they picked that specific camp most years. We're talking basically 2 church services a day. sermons for every meal, and maybe an hour of lake swimming time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I went to multiple Goalie Camps but it sounds very much like the Hell I hear you Christians talk about.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Still better than the origins of species camp

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Still better than the origins of species camp

Do you even know?

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I think kids should be allowed to come up with their own gods and assemble them into a totem at the end of camp. Every year they kick off camp with a bonfire of their previous gods and build the new totem on a pire of years past.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Time to learn the hand motions for Audio Adrenaline - Big House

https://youtu.be/omoOLhDdTPA

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Overdog posted:

I think kids should be allowed to come up with their own gods and assemble them into a totem at the end of camp. Every year they kick off camp with a bonfire of their previous gods and build the new totem on a pire of years past.

Ah yes, The Totem God

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
I remember back in the 1970's between 1st and 2nd grade going to VBS in some other family's basement in the neighborhood. I don't think anything bad happened per se, but just really odd my folks had no issues of me going there never having met this other family.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

redshirt posted:

Ah yes, The Totem God

Sometimes the embers last a full year and make a scrolling, self-refreshing totem. And after centuries the totem reaches the moon. A hallowed path. An endless summer. :spooky:

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

in CCD they had us put beads in our shoes once and I don't really remember why, prob to feel a fraction of Jesus' discomfort, but it stands out as a weird memory to me

also went to this camp that wasn't religious, but it had an activity where everyone was in a group and we had to hold strings between each other to represent having had sex until it was a web and then the twist reveal was that so-and-so got AIDS or w/e and now people's strings were connected to them and also just being connected to like 10 other people through one

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I’m picking up my son from his very last week of Christian camp. He finally aged out. They’re doing baptisms so I’m chilling in the Pilot listening to Hall and Oates.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

every summer, back in the day, my grandparents would send me to spend a few weeks with our poor country relations. they thought it was good for my character or whatever and their traditions were technically also our traditions

it’s important, after all, to remember the old ways—so, off i went every year to spend most of my vacation at what can best be described as “klan kamp”

part of it was working on a farm; part of it was weapons training; part of it was this weird “campground” thing; and another big chunk was vacation bible school

vbs is where i got to learn all of the cool things my church back home was too pansy-rear end to teach. i’m not going to get too into it because it’s all horrible insane nazi stuff

anyway, at vbs they’d pledge allegiance to the christian flag—although their version was a bit more blatantly white nationalist than yours. it was weird as gently caress

then i’d go back home. our church there didn’t seem that bad in comparison, but after a few summers in the ol’ ancestral lands i started to be able to read between the lines

we had the same drat flag, but no one ever said a thing about it. there was no pledge, but it flew superior to the american flag every day

a truly cursed item

Fatman6942!
Jul 3, 2023

by vyelkin

Dick Fontaine posted:

then i’d go back home. our church there didn’t seem that bad in comparison, but after a few summers in the ol’ ancestral lands i started to be able to read between the lines

Did they have a weird siege mentality about "the world" or "the antichrist" lurking out in "the world" and how they were gods chosen?

Also how did they explain jesus love of all the children of the world red or yellow black or white....

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Vampire Panties posted:

At one of the last camps I attended, the main counselor dude had all the boys stay behind at campfire one night. Then he proceeded to tell a story about how there was this big mountain, and this company was mining the top, and they were hiring truck drivers to haul dynamite to the blasting site. This company gives a trial run to two drivers. One flies up the mountain, banging through gears, sliding all over the road, swinging the trailer out over the side, totally out of control but the driver is the best, so they make it to the top and back in absolute untouchable record time. The 2nd driver drives up the mountain safely, stops for stop signs, and makes the trip in twice the time of the first driver. The company hires the 2nd driver. At the end of the story, IIRC almost verbatim the camp counselor says "thats your sexuality. You're driving a loaded dynamite truck driving up mountain roads, and you have to ask yourself - are you being safe? are you going to get hired?"

EDIT i should add that the counselor dude was selling the 1st truck driver hard, as if they were genuinely enthused to meet that dynamite truck driver one day.

:dafuq: To this day I have no idea what morality he was trying to convey. Is getting laid getting hired? do I need a commercial drivers license for that? :ohdear:

As I read this metaphor:

The first driver is hooning around, loving like crazy every time he wants to and having a great time and being cool. But the second driver is being "careful" and only having sex when/if it's right, (so preferably never). Sure it takes longer, but he gets there safely and without the risk of dying or being blown up by the dangerous dynamite. So second driver gets "hired".

And being "hired" in this case means getting married to a wholesome woman and living a stable godly life. (i.e. "The company" that chooses the second guy over the first guy.)

Basically saying: Sure loving around is fun in the short term, but it's dangerous and you might or might not be blown up by dynamite, but if you are careful/abstinent, then the reward is a stable continuing relationship with your Godly wife and no excitement or risk of blowing up.

So, to a teenager, he is not making it sound as appealing as he thinks he is.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Jambo, Jambo, it means hello, hello

So say hello to Jesus everyday

He listens when you pray

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I see gold fringe on that flag, looks like maritime law has started taking over religions.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BrigadierSensible posted:

As I read this metaphor:

The first driver is hooning around, loving like crazy every time he wants to and having a great time and being cool. But the second driver is being "careful" and only having sex when/if it's right, (so preferably never). Sure it takes longer, but he gets there safely and without the risk of dying or being blown up by the dangerous dynamite. So second driver gets "hired".

And being "hired" in this case means getting married to a wholesome woman and living a stable godly life. (i.e. "The company" that chooses the second guy over the first guy.)

Basically saying: Sure loving around is fun in the short term, but it's dangerous and you might or might not be blown up by dynamite, but if you are careful/abstinent, then the reward is a stable continuing relationship with your Godly wife and no excitement or risk of blowing up.

So, to a teenager, he is not making it sound as appealing as he thinks he is.

:haibrower: also as another goon upthread posted, I'm pretty sure that guy was into that old movie. Either way, the metaphor flew completely over our heads, and IIRC it took exactly .03 seconds after leaving for a kid to say "I wanna be the 1st driver :haw:"

:lol: I wish I could remember some of these kids names so I could look them up on social media

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dick Fontaine posted:

vbs is where i got to learn all of the cool things my church back home was too pansy-rear end to teach. i’m not going to get too into it because it’s all horrible insane nazi stuff

jfc :(

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

VBS snacks

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I had to go to something called this but it was just basically drop your kid off at the church every day for a week. All I really remember is making a driedel. We were catholic so I don't really get why that was a thing we did.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Well, this unearthed a memory. Can't recall what the edible dirt really was.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Animal-Mother posted:

Well, this unearthed a memory. Can't recall what the edible dirt really was.

crushed up oreos, gummy worms, and probably something else

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Its generally crushed cookies and chocolate pudding

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

drat I should just make some, that sounds good. Roommate would probably get a kick out of it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

https://alittlehintofthis.com/the-ultimate-dirt-pie/

be as trashy or fancy as you want to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

For everyone else
https://www.orientaltrading.com/craft-and-hobby-supplies/religious-a1-550055+1967-1.fltr