Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Okada is going to beat up a young person

Yeah!

Oh right... yeah that's why!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:lol:

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Tsuji, that hat doesn’t suit you

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah!

Oh right... yeah that's why!

Kaito rushing to confirm with the office he's completed his New Japan dates

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So are they going to bring back the briefcase this year? I want the comedy of Shane Haste having a shot at the WK main event

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Rarity posted:

So are they going to bring back the briefcase this year? I want the comedy of Shane Haste having a shot at the WK main event

I think Okada retired the concept

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok I think Masahiro Chono just joined LIJ?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Chono seems like he'd be fun to get a drink with, and I don't even drink much.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
NAITO!

Hiromu should by rights break this trophy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well so much for my predictions!

65 correct block predictions
47 incorrect block predictions
2 correct quarter final predictions
2 incorrect quarter final predictions
1 correct semi final prediction
1 incorrect semi final prediction
1 incorrect final prediction

My problem was not accounting for the variable of Gedo being insane and giving EVIL a push.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How fluent is Naito in Spanish, anyway?

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

SamuraiFoochs posted:

How fluent is Naito in Spanish, anyway?

lol not at all

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

THEN

NOW

FOREVER

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My picks overall were awful but I called Naito winning so I got the most important one right :hai:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I think Okada retired the concept

That's a bummer because I kinda liked it.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

drat right you're the Shuyaku

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fucker posted:

lol not at all

Well his accent seems pretty solid! :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

My picks overall were awful but I called Naito winning so I got the most important one right :hai:

Well poo poo, hard to argue with that!

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
i take it back, this g1 pwned

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Thought Jericho was in the ring for a second

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fucker posted:

It's gonna be hard to ever top 2019 for me but this was pretty close with 2018 for second place

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Rarity posted:

It's gonna be hard to ever top 2019 but this was pretty close with 2018 for second place

lol im joking i still think it wasnt very good overall

but naito ospreay and naito okada were fully ftw

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I will say this:

I now take back the statement that Naito is washed. He's just Chris Paul, where he seems like a shell of himself much of the time, but then occasionally he pops the gently caress off and you're like :stare:.

And if anyone can understand that, it should be me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fucker posted:

It did blow my mind hearing some people (like Dave Meltzer apparently?) call this the worst G1 of all time when I really dug it for the most part. Yeah there were too many competitors, but the 20 minute time limit and the 2nd place finish having stakes was great, I dug the new quarters/semis that came about as a result, and the quality of the final matches were fantastic from everybody involved and also EVIL was there too.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

jesus christ kevin

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Perfect timing, Naito leaves just as the DDT show is starting

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Naito/Cobb rematch!

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Actually Cobb that's not true at all!

Naito's reaction to the finger :lol:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

It did blow my mind hearing some people (like Dave Meltzer apparently?) call this the worst G1 of all time when I really dug it for the most part. Yeah there were too many competitors, but the 20 minute time limit and the 2nd place finish having stakes was great, I dug the new quarters/semis that came about as a result, and the quality of the final matches were fantastic from everybody involved and also EVIL was there too.

I think if you just think of the bottom half of the block cards as equivalent to prelim tags the match quality shakes out pretty well. There were a couple of duff nights but there always are

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

i only watched like 2/5ths of the g1 and i missed out on all the worst poo poo so im not one to talk, but htf can this g1 be worse than last years? get real

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Naito wants a goddamn nap :lol:

Edit: And now getting into an argument with the poor guy who has to hold the flag, ahaha

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rarity posted:

I think if you just think of the bottom half of the block cards as equivalent to prelim tags the match quality shakes out pretty well. There were a couple of duff nights but there always are

This is where I am at. Also I didn't fall asleep during the prelims of any shows this year which has happened in every prior G1 I've watched so from that sense it was a better product.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Honestly now that I'm thinking about the parallels between Naito and CP3, I appreciate him a lot more. This is not a meme post, I'm serious and I genuinely believe there are a good number of similarities, except CP3 is not Tranquilo. And most people hate CP3 and it's kinda justified. But y'know, other than that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't know who CP3 is, but Naito winning ruled and I love how loving crazy the crowd was going for him, so I'm happy you're happy :)

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I can think of no shortage of G1's in the dark ages that were vastly worse than this era could ever aspire to be. There was a lot of bad energy during that period even in the buildings and that's before we even get into stuff like Tenzan having to put over Akebono. This tournament was consistently a lot of fun at the very least. Even the HoT nonsense that would often kill the crowd, only killed them after a match that got everyone pretty excited. Looking back now I'd consider this a pretty good g1, especially considering how entertaining A block was. There were also at least a half dozen GREAT matches in this tournament and an equal amount that were really good.

There were 2 main negatives for me, one being Evil beating Sanada and the second being how they handled Kaito. With Evil, I understand why they did relative to the direction they're going. I'd rather they did something else of course, but it makes sense, I understand what they are wanting to do and as long as Evil doesn't beat Sanada before WK I'm ok with this.

The Kaito stuff I'll never understand and am trying to move on with my life now...

These two things did dampen my excitement at times but as things advanced, Naito especially re-energized my enthusiasm for it all.

So there was a lot more good than bad! Not just matches, but cool storylines developing that culminated in one of the most emotional finals in g1 history. I think if nothing else just on the strength of the final and Will vs Naito this will be a fondly remembered g1.

Fucker posted:

i only watched like 2/5ths of the g1 and i missed out on all the worst poo poo so im not one to talk, but htf can this g1 be worse than last years? get real
I thought it was considerably better than last year too!

----- I really enjoyed watching this with all of you good people! I sincerely thank you all for letting me share my enjoyment and enthusiasms with you and not treating me like an idiot, I had a lot of fun and hope it happens again! I dearly love pro wrestling in most of it's forms and it was really cool getting to hang out online with people who do too!

Now I gotta call Kinokuniya first thing tomorrow and get them to reserve my copy of this weeks shupro!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sooper Gila posted:

The Kaito stuff I'll never understand and am trying to move on with my life now...

It's genuinely baffling!

Sooper Gila posted:

----- I really enjoyed watching this with all of you good people! I sincerely thank you all for letting me share my enjoyment and enthusiasms with you and not treating me like an idiot, I had a lot of fun and hope it happens again! I dearly love pro wrestling in most of it's forms and it was really cool getting to hang out online with people who do too!

Always wonderful posting about the G1 with everybody, glad you were here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

It's genuinely baffling!

I think you failed to consider one simple fact: lol Kaito