Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
If the deal is genuinely kaito does the g1 with so so booking and Noah gets to have oiwa for some matches that would be crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Needs

Oiwa

And so

Humiliation for Loser Kaito

Dr. Dirt
Jan 1, 2008

This one goes out to all the Legomaniacs!
I didn't end up watching a lot of this year's G1, but here were my results:

Correct Predictions:
Block matches: 63
Block Winners: 3
Block Runner-Ups: 1
Quarter Final winners: 1
Semi Final winners: 1
G1 winner: 1

Correct random picks:
Block matches: 49
Block Winners: 1
Block Runner-Ups: 2
Quarter Final winners: 0
Semi Final winners: 0
G1 winner: 0

Always good to do better than flipping a coin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

fez_machine posted:

Needs

Oiwa

And so

Humiliation for Loser Kaito

New Japan: You want Oiwa? Well give us Kiyomiya, but to sweeten the deal we'll make sure he does well and ends up somewhat near the top.
NOAH: No deal unless you utterly waste him and make him look like a loser! <:mad:>

Dr. Dirt posted:

Always good to do better than flipping a coin.

Still can't believe your random picks got cheated out of an El P G1 victory.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Taichi had a losing record as KOPW in the G1, in a year where he is more over with the fans than ever, and none of those losses led to a title match, instead he gets pinned by a random go-nowhere junior on the finals show to heat up SANADA/EVIL I guess :nallears:

This company manages to find increasingly incredible ways to be incompetent

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
With the way they wanted B block to finish between ELP and Ospreay they couldn't have anyone else on 8 points or it woulda hosed with the Math. Still agree he deserves better though

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know who CP3 is, but Naito winning ruled and I love how loving crazy the crowd was going for him, so I'm happy you're happy :)

He's an objectively all time great basketball player at his position but is also six foot nothing and graduated from an extremely small college (which I also graduated from, hence my affinity for him). He was an extremely high draft pick and 100% lived up to that billing, but has also never won a title and has been EXTREMELY snakebit in that pursuit, despite seeming a couple times like this would finally be the year. As a result, despite talent and overall accomplishment wise probably being at worst a top 10 guy at his position all time, and probably second in his generation behind the slightly younger Stephen Curry, whose won titles and legit revolutionized the game (so in this analogy he's Okada), people tend to look at him as a failure because no titles.

He's now still very good but also CLEARLY old and this upcoming season is probably his last chance to win one. There's more to it than that but that's the gist.

Paul and Curry have also had an insanely competitive rivalry for most of their careers much like Naito and Okada. Interestingly though, for Paul's presumably final season, he and Curry are teaming up for the first time ever.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 13, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Best of luck to him and Naito then! :)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That does sound a lot like Naito. And I think you'd probably be less bothered if it was framed more as this might be Naito's last chance at a real run as the world champion. (As opposed to like Tana's last run with the title which was basically the gold watch reign and a means to get the belt from Kenny to Jay)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tana's got one more run in him, I still believe

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

Tana's got one more run in him, I still believe

The one belt he's never won, the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I should also mention that Paul has helped mentor multiple players over the years who will likely be more decorated than him before all is done but was pretty key in their development (so like Tsuji and SANADA. In this case James Harden is EVIL. Rick will get this and probably find it funny).

The biggest flaw in the analogy is that CP3 is a bit of a rudo instigator on the court and is thus generally kinda disliked, and he's the opposite of Tranquilo.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Big fuckin Tsuj

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

There is no way this G1 is worse than 2020

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I should also mention that Paul has helped mentor multiple players over the years who will likely be more decorated than him before all is done but was pretty key in their development (so like Tsuji and SANADA. In this case James Harden is EVIL. Rick will get this and probably find it funny).

The biggest flaw in the analogy is that CP3 is a bit of a rudo instigator on the court and is thus generally kinda disliked, and he's the opposite of Tranquilo.

I also get this and I'm loving your CP3 analogy in PSP as much as I love euphronius' CSPAM basketball cross-over. Now, which NJPW faction represents the Warriors?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I pretty much skipped the entire G1 after the first show, which I thought was mostly cruft. But I'm watching this final, it's Naito vs. Okada, we're in loving Sumo Hall, Stardust is playing, the crowd's chanting for Naito, I'm stomping and pumping my fists in my living room, I feel like I'm back in 2017, man. THIS IS THE GRADE 1 CLIMAX! LET'S GO!

- I watched Naito's entrance like five times before moving on.
- Okada's entrance, these two feel like the two biggest motherfucking stars in the world. I can't remember the last time I was this hyped for a match. Absolutely nobody has a big fight feel like Shin Nihon Pro Wres
- I love how Okada ducks on the outside even though Naito is clearly just going for his taunt, sells that Okada is still wary of the dive.
- Story of this one is obvious early, Naito was knocked out by Ospreay yesterday so Okada is gonna pummel Naito's head. Hey, if Naito wants it that way, he knows his body better than I do.
- And Naito is, in return, murdering Okada's neck. I love this.
- This has been paced pretty gradually for the first 20 minutes, but the selling is just so loving good. I love how much these guys sell something simple like a neckbreaker or being tossed into the barricade. They're making everything feel super impactful, especially Okada when Naito was working his neck.
- AND THEN RIGHT AFTER THE 20 MINUTE CALL, A loving TOMBSTONE ON THE FLOOR, gently caress ME.
- Then a discus Rainmaker and the first dropkick. Awesome.
- Naito is selling that he's KOed by the dropkick and they do a countdown, I figured they would do at least one spot like this after yesterday.
- Naito spits on Okada twice. That is not proper covid prevention protocol, sir, you are not acting very governable right now.
- lol Okada going "come on gimme some more" after Naito elbows the poo poo out of his neck.
- Ahahahaha Naito goes for Stardust Press and everybody in the building is immediately screaming at him not to. Oh, he didn't hit it, what a surprise.
- Oh man, Naito gets almost no air on that flying forearm anymore, rip.
- OH MY GOD HE ALMOST ROLLED HIM UP.
- RUNNING DESTINO FOR TWO!
- ANOTHER LANDSLIDE!
- RIPCORD DESTINO!!!!!!!!!!!
- RING UP THE ARM!
- DESTINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- HE'S DONE IT! LET'S loving GO!!!!!!!!!!
- lol Tsuji's goofy little hat.
- I want one of those LIJ jerseys.
- Okada wrestled a loving masterpiece. God, he was so loving great every single second of this match.
- Chono presenting the flag to Naito. And the loving fistbump. Amazing.
- And the millisecond Chono isn't looking anymore, he tosses away the flag like it's garbage, lmao.
- "SHUYAKU WA ORE DA". :swoon:
- BUSHI
- HIROMU
- TAKAGI
- TITAN
- YOTA
- Y NAITO
- NOSOTROS
- LOS! INGOBNERABLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! DE! JA! PON!!!!!!!!

God, I loving love this guy. God, I loving love pro wrestling.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kalensc posted:

I also get this and I'm loving your CP3 analogy in PSP as much as I love euphronius' CSPAM basketball cross-over. Now, which NJPW faction represents the Warriors?

Definitely BC. Genuinely at times the best in the world, super over, super influential, at one point kinda revolutionary, often run poo poo, but also have an rear end load of bandwagon fans or fans who don't realize that the whole thing started with them being outsiders and they're 100% not anymore, but they insist on acting like they are. KENTA is Andrew Wiggins (has had a career resurgence with the group after a run in WWE that made people forget "Oh Wait there's a reason people hyped this guy up so much probably", but he's a key support guy and flourishes) and War Dogs are collectively Draymond Green (violent dickhead who's great at what he does but also Jesus Christ calm down and also the schtick gets really annoying sometimes). Or maybe Draymond is Gedo. Guy who is a key ingredient to the formula but also is kinda glomming onto other talents for spotlight a little bit, and is a dirty cheater who never shuts the gently caress up.

Not sure if that was an actual inquiry but it's what I got. :v:

Also the HoT is Jordan Poole. Came in super late, acted like they're the best thing ever and that they're key to the whole thing, but basically everyone hates them, up to and including their own teammates, and people hate watching them ply their craft. The only reason this doesn't 100% work is HoT hasn't been officially excommunicated from BC yet, but I kinda feel like it's coming. :v:

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 13, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MJeff posted:

God, I loving love this guy. God, I loving love pro wrestling.

:hellyeah:

Still on a high from the G1, was a great night of wrestling all around but that Okada/Naito match was something special.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

perfect score in my predictions. first reply to this thread

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

perfect score in my predictions. first reply to this thread

Hell yeah.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The G1 was really fun. EVIL sucks tho.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While they probably need to tweak the format a bit more and drop Loa and Chase the fact we got hot crowds the last 2 nights easily made this the best G1 in the last 3 years

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

SatoshiMiwa posted:

While they probably need to tweak the format a bit more and drop Loa and Chase the fact we got hot crowds the last 2 nights easily made this the best G1 in the last 3 years

Replace some chaff with some more guests and you'll have a super fun summer of wrestling.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The format requires either
1) The deepest roster in the history of professional wrestling.
2) Bringing in quite a few guests.

Maybe next year Tony Khan won't have literally the top 10 wrestlers in his company all wrestling each other in the same match smack in the middle of the G1? AEW seems to be the only company New Japan is interested in bringing in a lot of guests from, they don't seem to give a gently caress about bringing in dudes from other Japanese companies except to humiliate them.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Even if you can't get guests they should use Juniors like Despy or Hiromu or even young lions.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNP3jHKkJ9M

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Even if you can't get guests they should use Juniors like Despy or Hiromu or even young lions.

Desperado and Hiromu in the G1 would be absolutely loving incredible, hell yes.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MJeff posted:

The format requires either
1) The deepest roster in the history of professional wrestling.
2) Bringing in quite a few guests.

Maybe next year Tony Khan won't have literally the top 10 wrestlers in his company all wrestling each other in the same match smack in the middle of the G1? AEW seems to be the only company New Japan is interested in bringing in a lot of guests from, they don't seem to give a gently caress about bringing in dudes from other Japanese companies except to humiliate them.

I'm kinda of a bit shocked we didn't have an Impact guy in the G1 to be honest especially since Impacts taping schedule makes it easier for them to appear

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Or even just like. Kojima?

Seriously, how do they keep expanding this format but Kojima still can't get in.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I get why Suzuki isn't in even though he didn't get a last G1 angle as he's slowed down and probably shouldn't do that schedule but Kojima did the N1 and also have him make the quarter's to spice up a g1 as his last run

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Did anything fun/interesting happen in any of the prelim tags? I skipped them all in my rush to catch up with the actual G1 matches.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They should definitely do this again. From 2000 to around 2007 or so they would sometimes have juniors in the g1. Problem was Choshu booked them as jobbers, Liger won something like 2 matches total across multiple tournaments. One year the only person he beat was fka Mr T/T2000 Machine, the year after that he didn't win a single match in the entire tournament. So for whatever crimes Kaito committed against Noah he literally has a better G1 record than Liger (ahead of him by 1 draw!) and is almost tied with Kanemoto.

But I would love this, there'd be so much cool poo poo, Hiromu vs the rest of LIJ, Despy vs the world, etc.

The danger here though is it would also make Taguchi vs Yano a possibility, and the awesomeness they could potentially unleash might destroy the fabric of spacetime, like that episode of space dandy where his break dancing battle is so badass that it burns up the entire universe.

Answers Me posted:

Did anything fun/interesting happen in any of the prelim tags? I skipped them all in my rush to catch up with the actual G1 matches.

The LIJ vs united empire match yesterday was fantastic and is almost certainly setting up Yota vs Ospreay. I missed quite a few of the prelims but from what I did see, it was the best.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Answers Me posted:

They set up like all the angles that will play out through the fall. Hikuleo and El Phantasmo going after Kidd and Coughlin, Henare going after Eddie Kingston, Mikey Nicholls and Shane Haste going after Bishamon, Jeff Cobb vs. Naito for the contendership, and probably some more stuff I'm forgetting. Oleg Boltin is getting a shot against ZSJ for the TV title? Something like that. They set up someone against Taichi for KOPW too. It was basically nothing but setting up angles.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

cool

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That is a fantastic shot, goddamn.

Also love the couple of stone-faced dudes who I guess are not Tranquilo in there :allears:

Edit: Near the top center there is a dad and his kid exchanging utterly gleeful looks, it's the best :3:

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

apophenium posted:

They set up like all the angles that will play out through the fall. Hikuleo and El Phantasmo going after Kidd and Coughlin, Henare going after Eddie Kingston, Mikey Nicholls and Shane Haste going after Bishamon, Jeff Cobb vs. Naito for the contendership, and probably some more stuff I'm forgetting. Oleg Boltin is getting a shot against ZSJ for the TV title? Something like that. They set up someone against Taichi for KOPW too. It was basically nothing but setting up angles.

Cool, thanks! Will catch up properly later.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
https://twitter.com/kelen_59/status/1690737090181615617?t=qoYPnhGZ-XaPF_W29jHTuA&s=19

Photographer caught Okada having an emotional reaction to the crowd noise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Understandable, we found his ONE weakness as a pro-wrestler during the pandemic, one that would almost never be an issue anywhere ever in a regular pro-wrestling career: he absolutely NEEDS the crowds to feed off of to perform at the highest level. Going through that period of starvation and getting THAT reaction must have been glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Didn't really have a chance to watch the G1 due to timezone and work, so I'll go through them over the next few days/weeks/months.

Since I love Yano shenanigans at the G1, did he have any matches worth watching for a chuckle?