Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
So going on the internet and talking about how your parents made you watch VeggieTales or some poo poo is a thing people do a lot. There's a whole thread right now about Vacation Bible School, whatever the hell that is. But what about those of us whose families just didn't bother with that stuff? Where's our representation?

We never went to church, never talked about religion, never gave any of that poo poo the time of day. I was in the 6th grade before I found out most people believe in God. It was pretty cool honestly. I mean my parents are Boomers, they have horrifying politics, that's a given. But they kept religion out of it.

There must be other people out there like that. Let's all get together and talk about the stuff our families didn't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Raised in a nonreligious household here. I resented the hell out of it when I learned that Christmas was ostensibly a religious holiday. I became jaded and cynical when I realized that was true of Easter, too.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Went to Bonanza on Sundays instead

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

yeah i was raised totally non religious, apart from some hymns everyone had to sing in primary school when i was wee.

i didn't even know anyone who was religious until i had a boss who was a practising christian and i was in my 30's by then.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I’m not allowed to hang out with you posters any more :(

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was raised 100% non religious, but I love old churches.

If you have an old church odds are I've already been there, giving thanks.

Thank you

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
How old you looking for? I got some rocks crudely formed into a circle that might wet your whistle

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

N. Senada posted:

How old you looking for? I got some rocks crudely formed into a circle that might wet your whistle

Older than 2004

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

not churches but there's at least 10 old rear end castles within a 30 min drive of me

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

not churches but there's at least 10 old rear end castles within a 30 min drive of me

How old? Give me the details of one of them.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

redshirt posted:

How old? Give me the details of one of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdour_Castle
this guy is from 1200-1635, used until 1725.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Andrews_Castle
or a more famous one, built 1200

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdour_Castle
this guy is from 1200-1635, used until 1725.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Andrews_Castle
or a more famous one, built 1200

Nice.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

As a died in the wool atheist, I really enjoyed my visit to The Vatican.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i was raised in a non-religious household and i'm a fucken dumbass. checkmate, atheists

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

yeah i was raised totally non religious, apart from some hymns everyone had to sing in primary school when i was wee.

i didn't even know anyone who was religious until i had a boss who was a practising christian and i was in my 30's by then.

HE'S GOT THE WHOOOOOLE WORLD
IN HIS HANDS
IN HIS HANDS
IN HIS HANDS
HE'S GOT THE WHOLE WORLD IN HIS HANDS!!!!

What was your fav hymn?
For some reason my primary school did Shalom (Peace Be With You) and I loved it cos the hall would be separated into 4 sections and we'd each start the song at a different time so it sounded dope.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

we never went to church but my dad told me that its jesus holding together all those whirly parts on an atom.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Solefald posted:

IN HIS HANDS
IN HIS HANDS
IN HIS HANDS
HE'S GOT THE WHOLE WORLD IN HIS HANDS!!!!

What was your fav hymn?
For some reason my primary school did Shalom (Peace Be With You) and I loved it cos the hall would be separated into 4 sections and we'd each start the song at a different time so it sounded dope.

hahaha whole world in his hands was an absolute classic. less of a hymn but another banger we always had to sing was

My eyes are dim, I cannot see,
I have not brought my specs with me,
I have not brought my specs with me.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm gonna have to visit some religious folks this weekend. Not looking forward to it.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Basically every poster who isn't born and raised in the US? Growing up in NZ I never knew a single person who believed in god that was born after the 1950's. Like you'd see Jehovahs Witnesses in town occasionally but they were just kind of looked at as harmless weirdos.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
My mom was a lapsed Catholic, my dad was raised Evangelical and never renounced it or anything but didn't care about religion and never went to church. It was always interesting to visit relatives who actually were religious, I was told a few times by my cousins that their parents had warned them about our side of the family being godless.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

My therapist thought I had somehow managed to internalise religious guilt from my family without any of them actually being religious; they did kind of fit the controlling mould without the beliefs

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

My dad is the 7th of eight children from an insanely poor black family from Detroit that were all raised in a weird mostly black Catholic church offshoot. Of the eight kids, only three are still alive, him being the only son. My dad moved to Los Angeles when he was 21 (where he met my white hippie mom who escaped her abusive Jehova's Witness family at 16) and they had my brother and I. Both were determined not to repeat the colossal fuckups of their parents, including their weird religious upbringings. We moved to the PNW a few years after I was born where you don't really ever see open or in-your-face religiosity like you do in Alabama or something. No singing of prayers in schools or anything like that.

We never went to church ever, nor talked about anything religious. Both of my parents are ostensibly atheist, or at the very most strictly agnostic. We still had Christmas and Easter celebrations, but in reality it was mostly in the sense that we had Yule in December and chocolate in April. For most of my childhood I just thought they were just traditional American holidays and had no idea they were originally from religion.

I'm extremely thankful I was raised this way as I have no trauma, no hangups, my marriage is extremely stable and satisfying, and I have great friends of a similar upbringing that I've known since childhood who are the same way. People say that I am probably one of the more content, successful and happy people they've ever known. If I ever have kids I will raise them the same way.

That's my story, thanks for reading and god bless your mess

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

nonreligious but attended a CofE school which did all the stupid poo poo that church liked to do, for example this loving thing:

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kecske posted:

nonreligious but attended a CofE school which did all the stupid poo poo that church invented, for example this loving thing:

this is how I have my weed gummies brought to me

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Not much, what's a God with you?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Mom and dad were self declared agnostics, dad had a reeeeal lovely background with the Catholics and bounced hard, mom I can't really remember her background but neither practiced any kind of religion openly. Dad believed a lot in old Hawaiian mysticism / gods / etc, but didn't force me to. He would routinely tell me I was angering the gods, however, lol

But they encouraged me to just go with what seemed right I guess, I had a brief exploration of Christianity in late middle school, but it didn't take. I was in what I thought was just a fun after school youth group with my best friend, it was run by some church (Presbyterian I think?). It started for the first year or so as being like 10% God/God singing and 90% legit fun activities and a nice group to hang with, and amazing getaways (which even still weren't super-God-focused). By the time I left, it was just non stop programming. Singing. Worship. Discussions. Activities. Everything was forcing the religion side down our throats, and it felt repellent and inappropriate to me, so I stopped

Since then, I guess I dunno what's out there, if I get any real strong feelings or indicators I'll follow them, but not too much yet

e. dad also had a badass collection of occult books and info, like he had a stack of Man, Myth and Magic magazines and I need to find them because they're utterly wild. Good reading material for a kid, and it opened my eyes to the world of spirituality that's out there! Some (many) involving naked people in the woods dancing around fires!

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 15, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my parents both left the church but carried with them all of the worst beliefs and practices aside from worship of a higher power

they wanted their kids to know it was their choice to be awful people, and not something they were peer pressured into by religious affiliation

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Bad Purchase posted:

my parents both left the church but carried with them all of the worst beliefs and practices aside from worship of a higher power

they wanted their kids to know it was their choice to be awful people, and not something they were peer pressured into by religious affiliation

Shant lutherize

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Nonreligious upbringing yep. Thinking back none of the friends I grew up with were religious either. My ex wife and her family weren't religious. The entire concept of getting up on sunday and going to church has always seemed weird, like something you only see on TV but I guess plenty of people actually do that poo poo.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I'm a Zoroastrian by birth

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I was like seven or eight years old when I was baptized. I think my parents just did it for my grandparents. I remember thinking it was so dumb. Someone I don’t know it’s gonna pour water on my head? But my parents told me to do it, so OK.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

My dad is the 7th of eight children from an insanely poor black family from Detroit that were all raised in a weird mostly black Catholic church offshoot. Of the eight kids, only three are still alive, him being the only son. My dad moved to Los Angeles when he was 21 (where he met my white hippie mom who escaped her abusive Jehova's Witness family at 16) and they had my brother and I. Both were determined not to repeat the colossal fuckups of their parents, including their weird religious upbringings. We moved to the PNW a few years after I was born where you don't really ever see open or in-your-face religiosity like you do in Alabama or something. No singing of prayers in schools or anything like that.

We never went to church ever, nor talked about anything religious. Both of my parents are ostensibly atheist, or at the very most strictly agnostic. We still had Christmas and Easter celebrations, but in reality it was mostly in the sense that we had Yule in December and chocolate in April. For most of my childhood I just thought they were just traditional American holidays and had no idea they were originally from religion.

I'm extremely thankful I was raised this way as I have no trauma, no hangups, my marriage is extremely stable and satisfying, and I have great friends of a similar upbringing that I've known since childhood who are the same way. People say that I am probably one of the more content, successful and happy people they've ever known. If I ever have kids I will raise them the same way.

That's my story, thanks for reading and god bless your mess

Praise Him!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'm a Zoroastrian by birth

Ahura Mazda looks down upon you in ANGER!

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Basically every poster who isn't born and raised in the US? Growing up in NZ I never knew a single person who believed in god that was born after the 1950's. Like you'd see Jehovahs Witnesses in town occasionally but they were just kind of looked at as harmless weirdos.

This ^^^

The only time I've been in a church/exposed to religion is for weddings or funerals. I vaguely remember there was an hour a week for Religion in primary school where the teacher would read a biblical story about Samson and Delilah or some poo poo.

Actually, come to think of it, some church folk knocked on the door last week. Spreading God's word. Not Jehovahs. I got my 15yo smartarse nephew to deal with 'em.

:australia:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Blow posted:

This ^^^

The only time I've been in a church/exposed to religion is for weddings or funerals. I vaguely remember there was an hour a week for Religion in primary school where the teacher would read a biblical story about Samson and Delilah or some poo poo.

Actually, come to think of it, some church folk knocked on the door last week. Spreading God's word. Not Jehovahs. I got my 15yo smartarse nephew to deal with 'em.

:australia:

Consider yourself blessed by God.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
my dead relatives went 2 hell

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

redshirt posted:

Consider yourself blessed by God.

Asante sana na mungu akubariki.

:glomp:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Blow posted:

Asante sana na mungu akubariki.

:glomp:

Thank you for this blessing

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I have clear memories of being in first grade and all the kids declaring they were Christian or Catholic or Jewish and me not knowing what the gently caress any of it was. We celebrated Christmas though. Best of both worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

my parents tried to keep up appearances until I was about 7, but my mom's parents are catholics-turned-Robertson-Fallwell lovers and it wasn't worth it to them in the end

I'm glad for it