Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I already posted in the vbs thread but yeah.

Raised without religion. My mom was a Protestant and my dad was a Catholic and there was so much blood from the Catholic side that poisoned them both on religion. My dad's parents didn't even show up to the loving wedding lol.

So yeah we were raised with no religion. Our friends growing up had to go to church and if we stayed over at their house for a sleepover they would ask us to go to Sunday school.

My brother and I thought it was stupid as hell but that kid had the best video games and his mom wrapped around his finger so we would still go sleepover there.

What I learned from Sunday school was that coffee with creamer and sugar in enough quantities tastes similar to golden crisp cereal.

I'm extremely lucky I had basically the perfect parents. Discipline but, it wasn't really needed. Maybe they got lucky too? None of us kids were ever a problem and their focus on learning and reading paid off.

They waited to have kids until they were married for years and had roots and were ready for kids which I'm sure helped out with all of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wendigee posted:

I already posted in the vbs thread but yeah.

Raised without religion. My mom was a Protestant and my dad was a Catholic and there was so much blood from the Catholic side that poisoned them both on religion. My dad's parents didn't even show up to the loving wedding lol.

So yeah we were raised with no religion. Our friends growing up had to go to church and if we stayed over at their house for a sleepover they would ask us to go to Sunday school.

My brother and I thought it was stupid as hell but that kid had the best video games and his mom wrapped around his finger so we would still go sleepover there.

What I learned from Sunday school was that coffee with creamer and sugar in enough quantities tastes similar to golden crisp cereal.

I'm extremely lucky I had basically the perfect parents. Discipline but, it wasn't really needed. Maybe they got lucky too? None of us kids were ever a problem and their focus on learning and reading paid off.

They waited to have kids until they were married for years and had roots and were ready for kids which I'm sure helped out with all of that.

My Grandparents on my father's side gave up religion because he came from a Catholic family and she came from a Protestant family and both families forbid them from falling in love.

When they did decide to get married, both sides of their religious families made demands so they ignored them all and started from scratch.

the14thofjuly2023
Jul 15, 2023
religious families beyond 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

redshirt posted:

My Grandparents on my father's side gave up religion because he came from a Catholic family and she came from a Protestant family and both families forbid them from falling in love.

When they did decide to get married, both sides of their religious families made demands so they ignored them all and started from scratch.

Word. Probably the best thing that ever happened to me... Along with having parents that were in education before it became complete poo poo and raised me to love learning, reading, and being a decent human being.

I feel bad for people in Florida.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

I grew up without religion. I was aware of it because several of my mates would reliably not be around Sunday mornings. In elementary school and middle school I got into more than one conversation where people treated me very cooly because I didn't believe in god and challenged the assumptions they grew up with.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Holy poo poo less than half of Australia is Judaic religion lol

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mom was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school from K-8 in the 1950s and early-‘60s. The traumatizing things she saw and experienced during that time soured her view on organized religion and she noped out of going to church and practicing when she entered high school. She still believes in God, but leaves it at that.

Dad always hated religion and regularly told nuns and priests who tried to convert him and other kids in the 1950s to go pound sand. He always respected religious folks just so long as they never pushed it on him, though.

Together, neither parent ever gave a poo poo about religion in general , it was never part of our family’s life, and we never went to church except for weddings and funerals. I went to catechism and had my holy communion at 13 to please my mom, and that was the last time I ever paid attention to anything religion. That was 30 years ago.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wendigee posted:

Word. Probably the best thing that ever happened to me... Along with having parents that were in education before it became complete poo poo and raised me to love learning, reading, and being a decent human being.

I feel bad for people in Florida.

Congrats on the decent parents.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

redshirt posted:

Congrats on the decent parents.

Very lucky and I know it. Take it Uber being such anyway

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I am Australian and apparently like 52% of the country is "Christian" of some variation (both sect and intensity) but like 40% is "no religion". So all these insane religious stories people post are *almost* inconceivable to me.

Almost, because my oldest brother decided to become a born again Christian and went all in. Anyway, he divorced his wife for his son being autistic (our side of the family has a lot of autism present tho lol) and then married an ex-student of his (he was a high school teacher once upon a time) who we're pretty sure he was having an affair with.

Anyway, that combined with how my entire family described his house ("like some cult poo poo") is my experience with the super religious. Feels like a slice of Americana at home!

I haven't spoken to him in years obviously lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I am Australian and apparently like 52% of the country is "Christian" of some variation (both sect and intensity) but like 40% is "no religion". So all these insane religious stories people post are *almost* inconceivable to me.

Almost, because my oldest brother decided to become a born again Christian and went all in. Anyway, he divorced his wife for his son being autistic (our side of the family has a lot of autism present tho lol) and then married an ex-student of his (he was a high school teacher once upon a time) who we're pretty sure he was having an affair with.

Anyway, that combined with how my entire family described his house ("like some cult poo poo") is my experience with the super religious. Feels like a slice of Americana at home!

I haven't spoken to him in years obviously lol

Can you justify some Alice Springs action?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
You all are LUCKY

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

redshirt posted:

Ahura Mazda

Those things are surprisingly fast for what they are

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

On Sundays we didn't go to church, we went to SCIENCE.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

On Sundays we didn't go to church, we went to SCIENCE.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

IF the noize doesn't faze me

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
When I was in grade school there were twins, a sister and a brother, who suddenly appeared in our school. I was fond of the boy's drawings of cars and I could do nothing but witness his sister's sobs while she was face down on her desk during lessons.

They lasted one year.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
No one talked about religion at home and I'm pretty sure being raised that way is the norm in my part of the world (Finland), and I'm pretty old even. Funnily enough I went to church run daycare (because it was the closest to home) and they did talk about jesus stuff there, but they also told legends and myth from my cultures pagan times so I just automatically mentally associated Jesus, Väinämöinen, Santa Claus (Joulupukki here, not st. Nick) and Arnold Schwarzenegger into the category of cool and awesome people but these adults are probably bullshitting when they claim that they are real.

First time I really encountered militant atheism was on the Internet and that seemed really really weird to me. Like might as well have strong feelings about Star Wars extended universe or something. I guess apathy comes easier when the thing to get mad about isn't really a thing in your surroundings.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Raised by lapsed Catholics in Scotland. Most of my acknowledged experience of religion was in reports of sectarian violence which, since it was tied in locally with loving Celtic and Rangers football club, pretty much coloured my general opinion on religion not being my bag, baby.

Also the loving orange marches when I was trying to sleep in during Uni didn't help.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Samovar posted:

Raised by lapsed Catholics in Scotland. Most of my acknowledged experience of religion was in reports of sectarian violence which, since it was tied in locally with loving Celtic and Rangers football club, pretty much coloured my general opinion on religion not being my bag, baby.

A dude from your part of the world once told me an apparently old and common joke from there:

"Are you a catholic or a protestant?"

"No, I'm an atheist."

"Yes yes, but are you a catholic atheist or protestant atheist?"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Glah posted:

No one talked about religion at home and I'm pretty sure being raised that way is the norm in my part of the world (Finland), and I'm pretty old even. Funnily enough I went to church run daycare (because it was the closest to home) and they did talk about jesus stuff there, but they also told legends and myth from my cultures pagan times so I just automatically mentally associated Jesus, Väinämöinen, Santa Claus (Joulupukki here, not st. Nick) and Arnold Schwarzenegger into the category of cool and awesome people but these adults are probably bullshitting when they claim that they are real.

First time I really encountered militant atheism was on the Internet and that seemed really really weird to me. Like might as well have strong feelings about Star Wars extended universe or something. I guess apathy comes easier when the thing to get mad about isn't really a thing in your surroundings.

MARA JADE!!!!!

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Samovar posted:

Also the loving orange marches when I was trying to sleep in during Uni didn't help.

i luckily managed to avoid all that shite growing up on the east coast

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

So going on the internet and talking about how your parents made you watch VeggieTales or some poo poo is a thing people do a lot.
There was a brief overlap of my life where I was like 11 years old and vehemently atheist while still semi-ironically into VeggieTales, but entirely because of a relative who I didn't actually like that much. Honestly inexplicable, and in theory I'd be the person best equipped to explain it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I am here for you if you want to discuss it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

redshirt posted:

I am here for you if you want to discuss it.
I think I might've just had like ten CDs and one of them had songs like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0X5YJC_fLY
and I convinced myself I liked it because I only had so much music to choose from.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I think I might've just had like ten CDs and one of them had songs like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0X5YJC_fLY
and I convinced myself I liked it because I only had so much music to choose from.

We each take our own journey.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Glah posted:

A dude from your part of the world once told me an apparently old and common joke from there:

"Are you a catholic or a protestant?"

"No, I'm an atheist."

"Yes yes, but are you a catholic atheist or protestant atheist?"

I do know that my Mum had her copy of Billy Connolly's the Crucifixion disc smashed by her uncle for it being blasphemous.

And that it is likely that I was baptised in secret, and my brother was likely baptised in secret twice.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Rich white suburb meant most of my classmates were raised religious and I remember freaking out in the early grades hearing kids talking about Sunday School because I thought there was a day of school I was missing and going to fall behind on

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

After weeks of begging my parents brought me to Sunday school so I wouldn’t feel left out. They picked me up afterward and looked at me and I looked at them and we both nodded and that was it for religion for all of us.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WE BELIEVE IN LOGIC AND SCIENCE IN THIS HOUSE YOUNG MAN!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I was raised with an appreciation for church and the general vibes from my Mother, her having been raised religious but being disowned for marrying a POC. And a healthy, comical irreverent tone when discussing the pomp and circumstance of religion from my father, him having escaped the poverty cycle of which religion was a significant part of.

But we didn't have a cross or a family bible or W/E. And we are non-religious enough to be dis-invited to any further family reunions

Which is a real strong message to me about what religion does

God, funny story though

As a family we were watching some Easter morning news broadcast talking about Easter, and my father poses the question (I'm paraphrasing)

"Whats with all this disparate imagery,eggs, rabbits , god , resurrection. What is the through line"*

And my mother jumps right in
"Don't be silly, the rabbit lays the eggs!"
"..."
"..."
Clearly some early held belief from childhood was held ,uninterrogated, into her 50s

We all had a good laugh , but yeah that's about as religious as my family really got. Aside from maybe going to church once or twice as a formal event for school or state events

I think my sister had a crisis of faith and found god in her own way as an adult.

*I am aware, Christianity swallowing up pagan events of estrae, rabbits and eggs are symbols of spring etc

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
When I was a kid I was super into animals, nature, and science. I watched nature documentaries for hours any chance I got, read field guides for fun, tried to catch frogs and snakes any time I was near a body of water, etc. Knowing I liked animals and reading, a religious aunt gave me a creationist book about Noah's Ark for Christmas when I was very young. I thanked her politely and set it aside with the rest of my presents to check out later. I got genuinely upset when I read it. I understood the difference between fiction and non-fiction, I was cool with fictional books that told stories about people fighting dinosaurs or whatever, but I think this was the first time I'd ever read a book that was supposed to be true but that I knew was wrong. It felt like I'd been betrayed, I thought that books could be trusted, I cried to my mom that the book had lied to me. She had to explain that it was just a story that some people believed and that I didn't have to believe it if I didn't want to. Up to that point I don't think I had any opinions on religion but that book had a really strong impact on me and really made me suspicious of the whole concept.

stereobreadsticks fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 16, 2023

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Killingyouguy! posted:

Rich white suburb meant most of my classmates were raised religious and I remember freaking out in the early grades hearing kids talking about Sunday School because I thought there was a day of school I was missing and going to fall behind on

Lived in several Southern California suburbs and it was almost always a non-issue. I'm sure there was plenty of stuff flying over my head because I was just a dumb kid. But it basically never came up at school. Kids who did talk about going to church or Sunday school or whatever seemed very weird to me.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I got baptized as a catholic baby because one grandmother wanted it, went to sunday school in a Lutheran church because the other one wanted it. Stopped going to church for a while, then about 5 years later, joined a different lutheran church to get confirmed because the 2nd grandmom told me, "If you want to get married, you have to be part of the church." Two years later I get confirmed. The pastor told this joke(Paraphrasing here): A new pastor comes to a church and says: " I don't know what to do about this bat infestation we have. I tried everything. Ringing the bells, calling the exterminator, the only thing I havent tried is setting the belfry on fire! The younger pastor says "Have you tried confirming them?" Everyone laughed. I haven't been back since

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Lived in several Southern California suburbs and it was almost always a non-issue. I'm sure there was plenty of stuff flying over my head because I was just a dumb kid. But it basically never came up at school. Kids who did talk about going to church or Sunday school or whatever seemed very weird to me.

Lucky. I got told I was going to hell daily lmao

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Knock knock. This book is free.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm so thankful to have been raised non religious. I did have this ancient great grandma who secretly gave me an abbreviated Bible for kids but after getting freaked out by a picture of the Devil, I "lost" it, and no one cared.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My parents not only raised me non-religious but they steered me away from any really intense religious people in general and made sure I didn't spend much time with them, which is probably the only wholly good thing they did as parents but I'm glad they did it.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

My mother would have probably half-assed us into Catholicism but my father’s mother was killed by a drunk driver in 1963 and him and his siblings spent time in Catholic orphanages in the Boston archdiocese. As such, he wouldn’t let my sister or I anywhere near a church. Maybe the only decent parenting he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Jesus himself said that your relationship with god is with you and him. Should there be someone to talk to about that? Maybe. They really blurred the issue when they wrote things in a language no one talked