Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I remember once , a friend invited me to a Pentecostal youth group around age 15

0 notice it was religious, I rock up theres ping pong and movies going, sick set up

The worship begins and 2 minutes later everyone was writhing on the floor and speaking in tongues and I loving dip and begin walking home

The youth group coordinator realises this 10-15 minutes later and calls me up in a way because duty of care and all that. Offering to come and pick me up (it was 8pm-ish in an urban area) and I just told him that I felt safer on the street than around all of his people doing their thing

I got home and my parent ask me how youth group went

"No one told me it was a religious thing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jakabite posted:

I got baptised to keep the grandparents happy but neither of my parents were ever religious, and hardly anyone I knew really was. Certainly not to the point it was a big thing in their public life, I don’t know what acquaintances got up to in private. My mum’s a lesbian and had a sister get sucked into a Christian cult though, and my dad was a rational sorta guy who taught me it was good to let people be if they’re doing no harm, but also that it was fine to find their beliefs and practices bemusing.

Good parents. Thanks guys. Miss you dad :unsmith:

I got baptized as some sort of Protestant for some reason (really unsure who was caring about that), and my Irish-American grandma got really upset and had me Catholic baptized in a sink or something like that.

My wife wants to get me baptized into the Orthodox church (she Greek) for some cultural reason or something. I think I'll win a free sundae at that point.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
My parents stopped going to church when I was in middle school, just ran out of energy for it I guess. One time my sister told my parents she didn't believe in God and all my mom could muster in response was "cmon, not at the dinner table."

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Szyznyk posted:

My mother would have probably half-assed us into Catholicism but my father’s mother was killed by a drunk driver in 1963 and him and his siblings spent time in Catholic orphanages in the Boston archdiocese. As such, he wouldn’t let my sister or I anywhere near a church. Maybe the only decent parenting he did.

This is how it went in our family. My grandfather's parents died within a year of each other, and he spent his teens getting kicked around foster homes on the west coast of NZ. In one he wasn't even allowed inside after school until dinnertime. Unsurprisingly, he was strongly anti-Catholic.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Grape posted:

There is a much bigger world out there than Northwestern Europe and the Dominions lmao.

Yea but they aren't posting in gbs are they

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Glah posted:

No one talked about religion at home and I'm pretty sure being raised that way is the norm in my part of the world (Finland), and I'm pretty old even. Funnily enough I went to church run daycare (because it was the closest to home) and they did talk about jesus stuff there, but they also told legends and myth from my cultures pagan times so I just automatically mentally associated Jesus, Väinämöinen, Santa Claus (Joulupukki here, not st. Nick) and Arnold Schwarzenegger into the category of cool and awesome people but these adults are probably bullshitting when they claim that they are real.

First time I really encountered militant atheism was on the Internet and that seemed really really weird to me. Like might as well have strong feelings about Star Wars extended universe or something. I guess apathy comes easier when the thing to get mad about isn't really a thing in your surroundings.

Much the same experience in Norway. The odd thing with having a state church is that we had a Christianity subject in primary school, went to church for Christmas, while at the same time nobody seemed to genuinely believe outside the weird evangelical kids - and they probably had doctrinal disagreements anyway.

I think it was designed as a "this is culture you should be aware of" class that was forbidden from trying to convert kids, at least - though I was one of the weird opt out kids who read Greek myths and got an introduction to all the world religions instead.

In hindsight, I can absolutely recommend having a bland nonoffensive state religion, it seems like a fast path to an apatheistic population.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

They've got the whole Gamma Quadrant.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Computer viking posted:

I think it was designed as a "this is culture you should be aware of" class that was forbidden from trying to convert kids, at least - though I was one of the weird opt out kids who read Greek myths and got an introduction to all the world religions instead.

Seems like that should be the standard? That's interesting that they default to the probably most common religion that everyone already knows about

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

someone should be

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Dixville posted:

Seems like that should be the standard? That's interesting that they default to the probably most common religion that everyone already knows about

The separation of church and state here is recent and incomplete, so at least it was a very watered down version of what it used to be like back when the schools were supposed to teach a Christian outlook and faith. At the same time, "everyone already knows about" is probably an optimistic assumption these days. :)

They have replaced the Christianity subject with a succession of different combinations of Christianity/Religions/Faith/Ethics/ Philosophy, adjusted by different governments and court cases. The current one is KRLE (Christianity, Religion, Faith and Ethics), which is supposed to give "an objective, critical, and pluralistic introduction to Christianity, the other global religions, and other philosophical outlooks and ethical themes", with more time spent on Christianity than any single other subject. I don't know what it's like in practice, it's been a while since I was near a primary school.

E: It's decently summarised by the relevant law - though of course that's just the outline.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 17, 2023

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Cuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrist!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I had to go to a Catholic school for 9 years so I hate god now. Not an atheist. A god hater.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
God poo poo can lick my balls for rizzle

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Someone says "god bless" I'm all like "yeah and he totally loving sucks too".

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ogd bless

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

:amen:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If you need a God I am available, and likely invulnerable for the next 50 years or more...

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008

Jestery posted:

"Whats with all this disparate imagery,eggs, rabbits , god , resurrection. What is the through line"*

And my mother jumps right in
"Don't be silly, the rabbit lays the eggs"

she was absolutely correct. Ostara cursed a bird?? Eostre blessed a hare??? No one knows.
The Easter Bunny lays eggs though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

If you need a God I am available, and likely invulnerable for the next 50 years or more...

Dude, you literally got banned less than a month ago

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Dude, you literally got banned less than a month ago

I don't count that stuff

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I don't count that stuff

weird god

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
my parents got caught in the 90s "all kids have to go to private school" fad and sent me to one for primary school, and in australia all private schools have to have some religious affilation or they dont get funding or some idiotic nonsense

anyway it was like normal school except you had religious study and then also mandatory church on one day. I remember thinking church was stupid and really boring but I didn't feel like they were attempting to brainwash me or whatever. Anyway long story short the reverend was fuckin kids and got sent to jail about 2 years after i left

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

abigserve posted:

my parents got caught in the 90s "all kids have to go to private school" fad and sent me to one for primary school, and in australia all private schools have to have some religious affilation or they dont get funding or some idiotic nonsense

anyway it was like normal school except you had religious study and then also mandatory church on one day. I remember thinking church was stupid and really boring but I didn't feel like they were attempting to brainwash me or whatever. Anyway long story short the reverend was fuckin kids and got sent to jail about 2 years after i left

What was your crime?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

What was your crime?

being an Australian

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

being an Australian

MEDIOCRE!!!!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My family was pretty religious; my Dad grew up super Catholic and my parents went to church all the time. My dad lost his job and went to the church for help, they basically told him to forget about it and said he lost his job because he "didn't believe enough".

That was the end of organized religion in my house, although my Dad still considers himself a believer. He just really hates the church in general, the Catholic Church specifically. Every time there's some news story about people needing money my Dad will mention how much money the Vatican has and how they could just instantly fix most of the world's problems if they really wanted to.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
We had a splinter cell of JWs in the family through marriage but he had been lapsed since he was 18 ... until he got divorced. Suddenly he was full-blown JW again and he and his church managed to suck in his son (my cousin) despite a court order placing those decisions in the hands of the mother. It's a shame, he's a bright kid and would have had a real future, but he's JW now so he works for a carpet cleaning company run by the church and donates all of his paychecks back to the church and I don't know if he even bothered to complete high-school.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Gather round, children, is time to give our thanks to the flying spaghetti monster

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I live in a country that's 70% atheist and nobody in my family was religious and I was like 10 before I met the first open Christian, suck it religiailures

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Gather round, children, is time to give our thanks to the flying spaghetti monster

We worship The Force in this house buddy!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My parents both left their faiths as teens, my mom was a Lutheran and my dad was a pre-Vatican 2 Catholic. They pretty much told me nothing about religion whatsoever when I was growing up. It was pretty great overall!

I remember wondering why we didn't celebrate Hanukah or Passover after seeing them on Rugrats. One time in a tchotchke store in Santa Fe I pointed up at a crucifix and said "Hey dad, who's that dude on the cross?". My main church memory is when I was 4 or so and my Grandma bribed me with some skittles to go to a service with her. Somehow most of the skittles ended up melted and stuck to my butt.

Anyway, without the normalization from a young age the dogma of mainstream religions really does seem just as ridiculous as Scientology or Ashtar Sheran or whatever.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Can you imagine having to spend half of every Sunday doing Church poo poo? It would absolutely ruin my weekend.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

My parents both left their faiths as teens, my mom was a Lutheran and my dad was a pre-Vatican 2 Catholic. They pretty much told me nothing about religion whatsoever when I was growing up. It was pretty great overall!

I remember wondering why we didn't celebrate Hanukah or Passover after seeing them on Rugrats. One time in a tchotchke store in Santa Fe I pointed up at a crucifix and said "Hey dad, who's that dude on the cross?". My main church memory is when I was 4 or so and my Grandma bribed me with some skittles to go to a service with her. Somehow most of the skittles ended up melted and stuck to my butt.

Anyway, without the normalization from a young age the dogma of mainstream religions really does seem just as ridiculous as Scientology or Ashtar Sheran or whatever.

It's such a blessing to not be raised with that baggage. And hey, as an adult if you choose to become Christian or Muslim or whatever, good for you!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

more like

redshirt posted:

It's such a blessing to not be raised with that baggage. And hey, as an adult if you choose to become Christian or Muslim or whatever, lol!

tbh

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

redshirt posted:

It's such a blessing to not be raised with that baggage. And hey, as an adult if you choose to become Christian or Muslim or whatever, good for you!

There's a running theme during Francis' pontificate about people who convert to Catholicism as adults, and then almost immediately become sedevacantists (people who think that the current pope is illegitimate and that there is no valid pope).

What did they think they were joining? They usually cite things like Pope Francis discouraging the use of the Latin Mass, or advocating religious freedom.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I asked my dad why we weren't religious one day, maybe I was 10 or so I dunno. His response was "well son, what if God is just one giant fart, then what?" It still makes me think to this day.

I did go to Sunday school once when I visited my cousins in Canada. I don't think they were that religious but their mom was big on it for whatever reason. I had found a quarter on the ground and when they passed around the donation thing I gave them my one quarter cause I thought that was expected of me.

A couple of my friends growing up were Jewish and I don't think either of them took it very seriously. We did have fun at the Bar Mitzvah.

Actually I did go to church one time willingly, I think it was my last week of air force basic training. Some of my flightmates were talking it up and Sundays were pretty low key so I thought it would be a cool experience to go at least once. There were some songs but the only one I remember was Letters From Home, which is probably not very traditional

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm nonreligious, my mom is nonreligious, my grandmother wasn't Christian until surviving a suicide attempt when I was already an adult, and I'm pretty sure my great-grandmother who died when I was 13 never mentioned religion to or around me at all. And I'm from the US (New York City, to be specific -- not an especially religious area, but still).

Literally the only reason I ever went to church was because the boys were cute, but I don't remember how I found that out. There was no family pressure on me to go, and I stopped going (without any protest from anyone) after the youth minister said that a child getting pregnant after being raped was God's will so therefore abortion was bad regardless of anything. Plus, I had gotten the boys' numbers so there really wasn't any incentive anymore. :v:

redshirt posted:

I'm so thankful to have been raised non religious.

:agreed: Seriously, I've met people who grew up thinking lust was bad as a result of having been raised in a conservative religious household, and I'm pretty sure I would not have survived puberty if I'd been in their shoes. Like half of my diary entries from my middle school years are just lists of boys/men I thought were cute and bizarre anatomically questionable fantasies about what I wanted to do with them.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I didn’t know people worshipped gods at all until I was about to join the cub scouts. My parents sat me down and told me I would have to pretend to believe in that stuff too, as was required by the Boy Scouts. The whole idea terrified the poo poo out of me, the idea that people could be that deluded. Turned out to be unnecessary since there was no discussion of religion at all and it was mostly tying knots, fishing, and whatnot. Mostly whatnot. I still got asked what church i went to but I was able to deflect it, or sometimes I’d just say I didn’t go to church and nobody gave a poo poo. I think they must have assumed I was Jewish, which I am not.

My mom goes to a universalist Unitarian church, which I cannot attend because I hate the sappy music and all the faux positivity. I wish the subgenii still held devivals, that’s the kind of religious poo poo I can get into. You know, where nobody believes a word anyone is saying and everyone is on drugs.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I didn’t know people worshipped gods at all until I was about to join the cub scouts. My parents sat me down and told me I would have to pretend to believe in that stuff too, as was required by the Boy Scouts. The whole idea terrified the poo poo out of me, the idea that people could be that deluded. Turned out to be unnecessary since there was no discussion of religion at all and it was mostly tying knots, fishing, and whatnot. Mostly whatnot. I still got asked what church i went to but I was able to deflect it, or sometimes I’d just say I didn’t go to church and nobody gave a poo poo. I think they must have assumed I was Jewish, which I am not.

My mom goes to a universalist Unitarian church, which I cannot attend because I hate the sappy music and all the faux positivity. I wish the subgenii still held devivals, that’s the kind of religious poo poo I can get into. You know, where nobody believes a word anyone is saying and everyone is on drugs.

I gave up on Boy Scouts when I realized it was all about selling candy and nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

My mom goes to a universalist Unitarian church,

lol
It's a church for lapsed catholics and secular jews who miss the exoskeleton of religion, the rituals and stuff and not much else.