Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Remnant 2 comes out July 25 on steam, xbox and playstation.

What even is this series it's confusing.

Remnant: From the Ashes by Gunfire Games is a 1-3 player co-op third person shooter with a surreal post-apocalyptic setting in which Earth has been overrun by tree monsters known as the Root. You play as a nameless create-a-character who travels the surface of Earth and eventually to other worlds the trees have invaded.

Remnant is often described as "Dark Souls with guns," which is...actually pretty accurate! Cover is rarely available and your character instead has access to a dodge roll with generous iframes, limited by a stamina bar. Enemies have fairly-telegraphed attacks with clear animations and warning sounds, and boss fights have a similar flow to a souls game. Weapons and armor have a "+0 to +20" upgrade system and are offered as rewards for exploration, secrets and killing bosses. You have a few character archetypes to choose from at the start, but these only affect your starting equipment and don't limit what you have access to later.

While the game is fully playable solo, it's a very different beast from co-op as you have to contend with all of the enemy AI being solely focused on you (trickier than it sounds because almost every boss comes with adds) and you have no second chance to be revived by your friend if you die. This can be an enjoyable way to play, but it's much more demanding and the game feels designed around co-op first and foremost.

The least straightforward part of Remnant is its partly-randomized campaign format. The campaign leads you through a series of setpieces and dungeons, but some of these are drawn from a pool of possible encounters and aren't guaranteed to be in your world. The campaign begins on Earth but continues through several other worlds with their own tilesets and enemies. Parallel to your campaign, you can generate "Adventures" anytime you want, which are mini-worlds containing a couple dungeons/bosses/setpieces and give you a chance to get the equipment rewards from the content that didn't appear in your campaign.

There is also a separate roguelike run Survival Mode added by the Swamps of Corsus DLC and an extended campaign with a new world in the Subject 2923 DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxVFcxMU72E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FugIy_tsNR0

What's new in the sequel?

Remnant 2 is being advertised as pretty much more of the same, without major changes to the genre or format, but with expansions to character build customization and world generation along with a new set of worlds to shoot through. The devs have claimed that the random generation been expanded to cover all of the campaign so that two runs of the campaign could theoretically have no repeated content. seems like a bold claim, but it's clear that more content and repeatability in general is a big focus for the game. We do have a close look at what the worlds are going to look like, and the art direction is absolutely swinging for the fences here. Losomn is Literally Bloodborne. gently caress yeah.

this channel's videos can't be embedded so have some links.

Losomn: Dran

Losomn: Fae

Yaesha

Earth and Labyrinth

N'Erud

I heard there's a dog. Where

Unlike Remnant 1's archetypes which only affected your starting equipment, Remnant 2's archetypes provide substantially different passive perks and active abilities, such as the dog companion or the ability to survive death once. You'll be able to swap between archetypes and will eventually be able to equip two archetypes at once, which together form your Class. Archetypes include dog-petter and cowboy, with options to provide more support, offense or heavy armor.

Handler

Gunslinger

Challenger

Medic

Hunter

Other links.

9 minutes of gameplay

Archetypes Breakdown

Yaesha lore preview

Losomn lore preview

Earth and Labyrinth lore preview

N'erud lore preview

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
is there a jump button this time

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Remnant 1 was the closest we ever got to a Dark Tower game, and I hope this one does well.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Owl Inspector posted:

We don't know much about how exactly the random generation might be changed,
We'll see if it pans out, but the devs claim the randomization is on a far bigger scale this time From: https://wccftech.com/remnant-2-promises-to-take-procedural-generation-to-the-next-level/

quote:

One big change we made for Remnant 2 was that we randomized the storyline, so if you go in and fight a mini-boss and another player goes in and fights a mini-boss in the same area, they might have a completely different boss. There's also different random events that occur in the game and even the layouts of the dungeons change. If you played Remnant one and you both started the game you were both going to go into the city, you were going to find a big tower, and save a lady in a church. Those beats were always the same, even if the mini-bosses and the side dungeons switched out, but in this game even that's randomized.

When you go to a new area of the game, you'll get a random storyline even if you're in the same world. You might get a different storyline. These are pre-designed storylines. We designed and scripted them out. We have the high level beats, but there's multiple per world, so not only could you get a different world from another player, you might get a different storyline within that world and it is a full storyline with its own NPCs, its own world boss. Everything's completely different.

...The way the world of Remnant II is generated is it starts at the high level. The first thing it'll do when you go into new areas to determine what high level storyline you're going to play. Then, within that storyline, there might be multiple dungeons, or a certain amount of mini-boss dungeons, and within those dungeons all of the tiles themselves (which is how the maps are built) are randomized within a world. There's multiple different biomes, so you might you get different dungeon and Overworld types, and they all have their own different creatures. If you get mini-boss A, you might fight these types of enemies within this environment, like floating islands or whatever, and if you get mini-boss B, you might be fighting different enemies inside of a crypt.

You could play two full games with not a single repeated element, and that's how we gauged how much content we wanted to make for each area of Remnant 2. That's a pretty unique experience.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

sounds like about the same system as remnant 1, but expanded to also apply to the main quest in each world so the setpieces and objectives will come from a pool of options too. the first game has some non-guaranteed NPCs and quests, but the content is thin enough that there's only a few and around half of the campaign isn't really randomized. I'm more interested in how improved the map layout generation might be, since the remnant 1 map tiles are pretty big and there aren't too many of them, so adventures tend to show you pretty similar maps to what you saw in the campaign. I'm hoping for maps that feel more randomly generated than pulled from a pool of fully-premade maps. it's going to be hard to know without spending some time with the full game, but this preview cited about the same thing from the devs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnFNi4d4YLk&t=660s

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Hunter video and an extended 30-minute gameplay video dropped today and the game looks very solid. A little surprised to see Remnant once again seeming to fly under the games media radar (and to see this thread so quiet). I still think it's, by far, the best Souls/Diablo-like shooter I've played from the admittedly very limited selection out there. Played a few worlds of the original yesterday to get back in the swing of things before early release and the gameplay loop is still ridiculously compelling.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Remnant is a better Souls game than some actual Souls games so I am excited to see how this one shakes out. The archetype system looks like a huge upgrade.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Memnaelar posted:

Hunter video and an extended 30-minute gameplay video dropped today and the game looks very solid. A little surprised to see Remnant once again seeming to fly under the games media radar (and to see this thread so quiet). I still think it's, by far, the best Souls/Diablo-like shooter I've played from the admittedly very limited selection out there. Played a few worlds of the original yesterday to get back in the swing of things before early release and the gameplay loop is still ridiculously compelling.

I liked the vibe of the first one, but there was some serious jank in the design - particularly if you were playing the game solo. The go-to strategy for bosses seemed like it was "solo a million bullshit adds" which got really frustrating (and was substantially less of a problem if you had pals with you). The devs are saying that they've fixed this in the new game, so here's hoping.

I'm hoping enough that I preordered it, anyway. We'll see!

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist
I am so undecided on what Archetype (?) to roll. Somewhere between Handler, Hunter, or Medic…

Roll on Saturday for the I-paid-too-much-money edition‘s early access. I liked the first game’s DLCs so figured why not?

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2GoHwYTgkw

Found mine.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

y_y posted:

I am so undecided on what Archetype (?) to roll. Somewhere between Handler, Hunter, or Medic…

Roll on Saturday for the I-paid-too-much-money edition‘s early access. I liked the first game’s DLCs so figured why not?

Definitely going a Handler/Hunter combo. Stay at long range sniping after sending in my attack dog. Sounds perfect.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

goty

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

VanillaGorilla posted:

I liked the vibe of the first one, but there was some serious jank in the design - particularly if you were playing the game solo. The go-to strategy for bosses seemed like it was "solo a million bullshit adds" which got really frustrating (and was substantially less of a problem if you had pals with you). The devs are saying that they've fixed this in the new game, so here's hoping.

I'm hoping enough that I preordered it, anyway. We'll see!

The game was even worse on release -- I'm sure there'll still be plenty of bosses that drop adds but man, having your first Dungeon boss be Gorefist was definitely a buzzkill for a lot of folks (especially his pre-nerf state at release). Nothing like your first real mini-boss being a melee monster who charges around a claustrophobic battlefield and regularly spawns exploding adds to make your life pure hate. Even post-nerf, he's not a ton of fun to fight.

That said, I did all of Remnant single-player and felt like the challenge was right up there with old-school Dark Souls. Lots of deaths but man, did learning the mechanics get to be reasonably fun (even you, Ixillis.)

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Bummed this isn’t getting more heat. Really looking forward to it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah it wasn't on my radar until recently, it's kinda come out of nowhere and become something I'm really looking forward to. My friend group is constantly on the lookout for a new multiplayer bandwagon thing to play and we all occasionally suggest stuff to play, they seem a bit unconvinced by this so far but I'm hoping when it comes out there'll be a bit more excitement about it in general and that'll get them to take more of a look at it.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Really enjoyed the first game but none of my friends got into it. There's just been an ocean of great games the last ten years.

Reading the posts it sounds like it turned out to be the challenging co op experience I like. Looking forward to 2

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

^burtle posted:

Bummed this isn’t getting more heat. Really looking forward to it.

It's really weird because the first game became a pretty big cult classic and a LOT of people posted in the Remnant 1 thread once it took off. Not sure why that same level of fanbase isn't showing up at the outset for Remnant 2. It's not like it pulled an Outriders...

Maybe it's just a summer dense with games and people have low energy for getting worked up about another one, even with Remnant being excellent. I'd get that as it's been weird pinballing between FFXVI, Diablo IV, and Baldur's Gate 3 (and, *cough*, AEW Fight Forever) these past few weeks. But I still got time and space for that Remnant energy!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean the new game's already in Steam's top sellers a week out, it's just that the forums continue to die.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I am insanely :stoked: for this game and think basically everything they’ve shown looks really exciting, I’ve been revisiting remnant 1 on a solo save and it’s a textbook example of a great foundation that deserves to be fleshed out more

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, the first game was such a surprise when it released to very little fanfare and then turned out to be great, with some niggling flaws. The sequel is one of the few games that I´ve preordered and even got the ultimate edition of since I want show my support to the developers.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So loving excited for this. My dog and I are gonna rip poo poo up.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agPlkgS9Asg

New Trailer

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist
Also first "influencer" twitch streams now online (e.g. https://twitch.tv/fextralife).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The game is out on Friday if you get the super duper edition right so I assume embargo will be up then or before then and people will be able to give their impressions at that point.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does anyone know how the Gunslinger (and other?) class unlock works? That's the one I want to play but it's immediate access is locked behind a preorder.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

The game is out on Friday if you get the super duper edition right so I assume embargo will be up then or before then and people will be able to give their impressions at that point.

Embargo is up tomorrow (7/20) at 7 a.m. PST. They're quite confident and everything I've heard from folks with review copies indicates that they've significantly improved on the first game.

It's still not going to be for everybody but I think they probably succeeded in creating on of the best Souls-like competitors.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Mordja posted:

Does anyone know how the Gunslinger (and other?) class unlock works? That's the one I want to play but it's immediate access is locked behind a preorder.

They've been pretty clear in community interviews that there are more archetypes that you unlock as you play beyond what they have announced, just like skills in the first game. Gunslinger being unlocked from the start is a pre-order bonus, but I imagine you get it from killing a boss or solving a puzzle or something if you dont pre-order.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The main thing that bugged me most about the first game was the way it only showed you half the bosses on a first playthrough. As far as I could tell, the only way to see the remainder was just to spam more runs and pray you got lucky, and it sounds like they're doubling down on this for the sequel. Dunno how to feel about that. It's hard enough getting 3 adults' schedules synchronized enough for one playthrough let alone 3 or 4.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Well, the dog companion is basically a coop buddy so they are addressing that at least.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Thoom posted:

The main thing that bugged me most about the first game was the way it only showed you half the bosses on a first playthrough. As far as I could tell, the only way to see the remainder was just to spam more runs and pray you got lucky, and it sounds like they're doubling down on this for the sequel. Dunno how to feel about that. It's hard enough getting 3 adults' schedules synchronized enough for one playthrough let alone 3 or 4.

Did you play Adventures? They're pretty much bit-sized runs that'll let you see stuff you missed.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
My memory is hazy about that. Do Adventures tell you up front which boss you rolled or do you still have to go through the dungeon to find out?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The game itself doesn’t tell you what the dungeon has that’s new, but there’s a save analyzer tool that tells you what new items are in your current adventure/campaign which really helps with filling out your collection. I think the system is fine if you use the tool to cut down on aimless searching, so the main thing I’d like to see in the sequel there is better discoverability in the game itself. if they add as many random quests to the world generation as they say but don’t add anything to help you know what new items are available, a tool like this is only going to be more important.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Every dungeon only ever has one boss in it. If you roll Cutthroat Alley, you will always encounter Brabus at the end of it. So if you know what boss is at the end of a dungeon, you can choose whether you should reroll from that.

Basically Adventures give you two randomly selected dungeons and a world boss. Sometimes you have to complete one to access the other, sometimes they're both accessible from the start. They also are scaled to your gear score, so you will always be on part with an adventure.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thoom posted:

My memory is hazy about that. Do Adventures tell you up front which boss you rolled or do you still have to go through the dungeon to find out?

Also, the game is pretty good solo, while you are waiting for schedules to coordinate.

It is a souls-like-light(?) after all.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I've preordered the R2 disc, and have RftA from PS+, is it worth bingeing the first one before R2 arrives?

the DLC's also $10 total during the PSN sale.

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist

Thoom posted:

In the interview linked here they say

quote:

Will there be some way to “farm” specific events or bosses, perhaps after you've completed the campaign?

John Pearl: Like Remnant, once you complete a world for the first time, the ability to play adventure mode for that world is unlocked. This allows players to replay a given world as many times as they want. Since this option shows up right away upon completion of a world, this means players don’t have to wait until they complete the game to start ‘farming.’ Ultimately, this gives them the opportunity to chase down the harder to find items, events, and bosses at their leisure.

which sounds like a decent compromise.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The save game analyzer was an absolute godsend for remnant 1, and hopefully there is similar (or even just in the game by default) for r2.

I restarted a campaign like 20 times to get a specific ring, I cannot imagine having to do that organically.

Also, if anyone needs to be post-scarcity for remnant 2 friends, hop on to the co-op goons discord: https://discord.gg/vabSrz57gz

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 20, 2023

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

also, serious overchill (a discord with Destiny 2, FF14, and Diablo 4 goons) will likely be playing the poo poo out of this game as well: https://www.discord.gg/srsoc. We're in the Remnant thread in the #specific-gaming thread. You'll be able to find a lot of coop buddies.

EDIT: I should mention we are mostly PC based. I dont know if this game will have full PC/Console crossplay. I hope it does!

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 19, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Legit Businessman posted:

Also, the game is pretty good solo, while you are waiting for schedules to coordinate.

It is a souls-like-light(?) after all.

Was that the rogue-like part that worked well solo? Because I felt the main game was kind of a drag solo. I did make the mistake of building for support and debuffing charactet at first, but that's because I assumed the game wasn't fully dead when I got it for free on ps+
Melee spec felt boring and not fleshed out -even though it worked, while support/warlock was fun but clearly the game wasn't tuned for being a lone dude doing debuffs on enemies and keeping players alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

https://twitter.com/remnant_game/status/1681725788553355264

Preorder Early access on Friday, July 21 at 4:30pm PT/ 7:30pm ET/ 12:30am BST