Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

Is that castle area I'm talking about a set beginner location or is it randomized like the first game? I'm not above rerolling the campaign to get an easier starting area. I just mention the melee stuff because if I go full ranged I run out of ammo really fast. The LMG the medic gets feels really weak, the sidearm is a lot better but some enemies seem to take a ton less damage from ranged weapons than melee.

It's randomised, reroll at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
If you're playing solo you should be playing Handler IMO

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

If you're not a fan of the LMG you can save up some scrap and go buy something like the Assault Rifle or the Lever Action from the guy who hangs out by the gun ranger. Once you talk to him a bit he has the weapon store that has all the starting weapons from the archetype you didn't pick.

Unless you make a specific build then melee is sort of a weapon of last resort. If you feel like you need to feel free to reroll the Losnom castle start, the fey are probably really rough for a fresh character.

Azran posted:

if it's a newbie then sure, if you played the first game a lot and know what Remnant is about going in it's not really necessary.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Is that castle area I'm talking about a set beginner location or is it randomized like the first game? I'm not above rerolling the campaign to get an easier starting area. I just mention the melee stuff because if I go full ranged I run out of ammo really fast. The LMG the medic gets feels really weak, the sidearm is a lot better but some enemies seem to take a ton less damage from ranged weapons than melee.

The blue knight dudes with halberds have armor everywhere except their hands so they're easier to kill with melee. losomn is really the only place in the game I would suggest proactively using melee for more than cleanup just because of those enemies and a type that shows up elsewhere.

Azran posted:

This. just make a new character, check the box to skip the intro, and you'll start at class selection and can pick up your weapons and go straight to your first world.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Osmosisch posted:

I don't mind the first phase but the second one is such a total visual clusterfuck I can't tell my arse from the boss's giant sword. Thank goodness for turret and summons.

The transitions are the thing that really annoys me about that fight.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/IlIuc6X.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/iCY7E0e.gifv

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

skill issue

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Jimbot posted:

I jumped into Elden Ring just to make sure it wasn't just me not being used to this kind of combat but no, it feels off. Like the recovery animation takes longer to finish to allow you to move. It's not that much longer but long enough to notice.

I'm also (relatively) new, and no that's just how the game is. It's Dark Souls 2: an absolute shitload of content, but also a dedication to being A Hard Game(c) in ways that don't feel particularly good. When stuff feels really gamey and cheap that isn't your imagination and unlike most souls games there's not a very straightforward cheese path.

Random stuff that I wish I knew going in, in order of importance:

* Upgrading your weapons as high as you can and playing in multiplayer are good ways to make the game scale into stupid difficulty.

* The last boss is an awful wall. Go reroll adventures and do fun stuff until you're ready to git gud suffer for completion rewards.

* It's assumed you're nonstop internet researching for basically everything. Fextra is the only wiki, and it's full of wrong/missing information. Once you're rerolling adventures use RSG so you can snipe the spawns/stories you want without having to run around for an hour before finding out the one dungeon you wanted didn't roll this time.

* Neutral dodge (backhops) work differently to souls. They're really good and you're expected to use them constantly as they have tons of iframes and recover your aim faster.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I beat it, enjoyed the DLC then started NG+ and realized I don’t want deal with last boss again so I quit to go play something else.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The last boss is very much a test of memory. Everything it does is predictable and telegraphed - you just need to learn exactly what those telegraphs are, and how they change as the fight progresses.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
You don't actually, that's the beauty of it. Sentry go brrrrrr :hellyeah::

Anyway, this isn't a forever game, which I'm happy about, so play it until you've got your fun out of it. I still fire it up every so often alone or with friends to mess around with builds, occasionally run into a new secret and generally shoot mans and cubes. Game good.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I specifically play everything except root earth and it feels so much better

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

I specifically play everything except root earth and it feels so much better

This, but really just the last boss. I finally did beat it, on Survivor, at PL9 (all but two classes at nine, no weapon upgrades) with ~83% or so of stuff found outside of some multiplayer-specific drops and the DLC. When the DLC cycle completes I'll probably find the rest too. This excludes the punch-yourself-in-the-balls final boss requirements, which I will of course cheat in.

The dumbass scaling is still ridiculous in a way where I accidentally picked up a duplicate gun which pushed my PL up by a point and wasn't happy about it. Multiplayer scaling is even worse, which is an odd call in a game with multiplayer-only unlocks. Thankfully I have the alternate kills and other weird poo poo out of the way so I can just collect the last two web-required campaign unlocks and hopefully tack on the few random drops I'm missing while grinding Explorer to get archon.

Edit: I've found everything that isn't co-op specific, hardmode, dlc-specific, or the super grindy world drop/corrupted stuff. I guess technically I haven't gone past level nine on any archetype and explorer is still four so no archon, but I'll save experience grinding for whenever I come back for a DLC roundup.

Maybe I'll upgrade my weapons then too. :v:

Mailer fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 29, 2023

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Now I can mess around with sub-archetypes. I wound up buying the Challenger item because I had no idea what it was supposed to be, so Hunter/Challenger should be an interesting build. I'll essentially have all my bases covered range-wise, which is good since I usually main the Assault Rifle and I can always swap to the auto-shotgun in close quarters. N'Erud is definitely the most "alien" world I've seen in the series thus far. Also a good place to have a rapid-fire weapon handy because good gravy the swarms of robots.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
I would recommend changing it to challenger/hunter so you get the free revive from challenger.

I sort of got into a groove with invader/gunslinger over the weekend.

So many combos and perks and rings etc to mess around with.

My try hard setup is challenger/engineer

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
success

https://i.imgur.com/puynH6b.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/Hgaej1Q.gifv

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I was bored so Apoc is now cleared and I never have to touch Root Earth again. I'll never get hardcore, a few of the missing co-op things, or the dumb event spawn enemies that are now super rare. Outside of that and the DLC-required stuff... I've got everything.

I'll definitely come back to do a tour of all the DLC when I pick up the GOTY edition or whatever, but man this game was a mixed bag. I really, really wish the industry would unlearn the Dark Souls 2+ hyperdelay/rollcatch bullshit. The cacophony of audio and visual clutter aside the final boss is really just annoying for being oops all rollcatches. If those and the scaling were removed it'd be a 10/10 for me. I guess being a wiki-required game (and the wiki is poo poo) isn't great either, but so were Majora's Mask and Siren and I loved both of those.

It's a game I wish I could hard recommend because the highs are so high and frequent. Then you get oneshot for the crime of playing in co-op by an attack that was delayed by 400ms in a Two For Flinching situation and... ugh. I really hope Remnant 3 doesn't double down on this stuff because they have such an amazing core full of good ideas that get wiped out by some crap that doesn't need to be there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"Wiki-required game"???

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if you prefer to find secrets yourself, archon was deliberately only unlockable via data mining.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I get that descriptor. They didn't make a prima guide for this and so you have to rely on community togetherness to answer your questions. The Surge suffered massively because its playerbase just wasn't very big or wanting to document all its weapons and items and so the wiki sucks. This game is kiiiiinda like that. You can play through it just fine without a wiki if you accept you will miss things and can re-roll at any time, but it sort of discourages that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This was my favorite game to release in 2023 but the percentage of content that’s in really random secrets and the way it’s distributed is definitely one of the worst things about it. there’s a weird disconnect between the process to unlock certain things and how impactful they are. Getting a new archetype is a really big deal but you get one of them by literally just talking to an NPC over and over with no indication of this leading to a reward, one of them either requires dumb luck to stumble on it and get it out of nowhere or a boring search using a different archetype, one of them is straight up unobtainable without using outside resources, etc. there’s so much meaningful content that barely any players will see and I imagine a supermajority of players spent most of their time with one of the starting archetypes and eventually maybe a single other one. These are major parts of the game and the process to get them should be structured fittingly.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The thing that gets me the most is the loving web.

Want everything from it? Well you better loving reroll campaign until you get Losomn with the web and specific rolls in both Yaesha and N'erud.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

It's extremely unlikely that you'd ever get the vast majority of the items in the game or the hidden archetypes without outside help. There's multiples of co-op only things, items requiring campaign rerolls with specific dungeon and story spawns, and chains of improbable events that even with a guide are problematic to trigger. Clapping for the jester or high-fiving a co-op buddy are the kind of things you could reasonably see happening as easter eggs, but those are quaint compared to the bullshit series of things for Crescent Moon and that is basic compared to dozens of other items.

It's probably someone's pain point but I'm so into Catching Em All at this point that consulting the internet is second nature and the only rage on my end was smashing into a wall until I figured out the wiki was outright wrong.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I get that descriptor. They didn't make a prima guide for this and so you have to rely on community togetherness to answer your questions. The Surge suffered massively because its playerbase just wasn't very big or wanting to document all its weapons and items and so the wiki sucks. This game is kiiiiinda like that. You can play through it just fine without a wiki if you accept you will miss things and can re-roll at any time, but it sort of discourages that.

I played The Surge for the first time last month and I'm glad I wasn't crazy in thinking that wiki sucks.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Mailer posted:

It's extremely unlikely that you'd ever get the vast majority of the items in the game or the hidden archetypes without outside help. There's multiples of co-op only things, items requiring campaign rerolls with specific dungeon and story spawns, and chains of improbable events that even with a guide are problematic to trigger. Clapping for the jester or high-fiving a co-op buddy are the kind of things you could reasonably see happening as easter eggs, but those are quaint compared to the bullshit series of things for Crescent Moon and that is basic compared to dozens of other items.

It's probably someone's pain point but I'm so into Catching Em All at this point that consulting the internet is second nature and the only rage on my end was smashing into a wall until I figured out the wiki was outright wrong.

Yeah , I can understand hiding items or weapons behind secrets but stuff like half the classes in the game? Traits like 'revive people faster'? It's wild. The game itself has a general lack of direction which is very annoying - I had no idea instances could be randomly generated and have different events, so imagine my surprise while exploring Yaesha and being unable to find pretty much anything except for a couple rings and the blood altar. Then I read the wiki and it became much clearer. The scaling is bizarre as well, though it's kinda similar to what happens with melee - you see a dedicated weapon slot and you think 'oh melee is a viable option in this game' but nope, you need to have an actual build for it... and the items for that are hidden in the world.

I don't mind the rollcatch attacks, especially since the final boss' are pretty mild. It's so prevalent in the games that I play (the last couple Wo Long DLCs had bosses who delayed their hits for so long it looked like they'd gone into bullet time lmao) that I just find it amusing at this point, rather than infuriating.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Azran posted:

I don't mind the rollcatch attacks, especially since the final boss' are pretty mild. It's so prevalent in the games that I play (the last couple Wo Long DLCs had bosses who delayed their hits for so long it looked like they'd gone into bullet time lmao) that I just find it amusing at this point, rather than infuriating.

It's been a personal bugbear since DS2, and doesn't seem to affect most people, so I get it. The final boss wasn't even particularly difficult solo. It was dumb, because spending five seconds in CC hell for the crime of not being able to tell 350ms from 400ms is dumb, but you could tank/outheal it for the most part as long as no one else was around to suddenly scale every attack into a oneshot.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I love the Spectral Blade, or whatever that energy sword you can get from N'Erud is called. I am, in fact, the storm that is approaching.

My brother and I are at the final boss and it's kind of a bitch. We made it to phase two once and got promptly pasted. Time for some Adventure mode. . . but I had no idea that the entire world would be rerolled, not just a few parts like in the original, much to my brother's chagrin.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Grimthwacker posted:

I love the Spectral Blade, or whatever that energy sword you can get from N'Erud is called. I am, in fact, the storm that is approaching.

My brother and I are at the final boss and it's kind of a bitch. We made it to phase two once and got promptly pasted. Time for some Adventure mode. . . but I had no idea that the entire world would be rerolled, not just a few parts like in the original, much to my brother's chagrin.

yeah unlike the first game the various worlds in 2 each have two "main" story lines they can potentially roll, each of which has some marked effects on what areas you explore primarily.

have fun seeing some crazy poo poo!

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

We somehow managed to finish the game. Definitely not one of the greatest final bosses. Way too much chaos going on with zapping us between places seemingly at random. So it's just the one DLC available right now, huh?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Grimthwacker posted:

We somehow managed to finish the game. Definitely not one of the greatest final bosses. Way too much chaos going on with zapping us between places seemingly at random. So it's just the one DLC available right now, huh?

One DLC and it's a new section and storyline for Losomn. Presumably the next DLCs will do something similar for Nerud and Yaesha.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can you only change difficulty when you re-roll a campaign?

If so, that's a bummer. Don't play on Veteran difficulty unless you have maxed out guns I guess. Tried the DLC area as adventure mode and one of the bosses stone-walled me and my friend. Hitting the enemy for 1k damage and it barely made a dent in its health bar.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Can you only change difficulty when you re-roll a campaign?

Yup. Campaigns/adventures are completely disposable. Beating the campaign on a higher difficulty will also unlock rewards for difficulties under it but other than that there's nothing special about it.

quote:

If so, that's a bummer. Don't play on Veteran difficulty unless you have maxed out guns I guess. Tried the DLC area as adventure mode and one of the bosses stone-walled me and my friend. Hitting the enemy for 1k damage and it barely made a dent in its health bar.

If you look in the upper right corner of the minimap it'll show the area level for any given zone and that's locked in to your power level +1 when you first discover it. You might feel super strong in an area you already found but your newly-rolled adventure is a slog as it scaled from your current gun-fueled power level plus playing in co-op. Veteran is added on top of that. This affects both enemy HP and damage so you're going to get hit harder as well.

Your two highest archetypes and highest weapons in each slot determine your power level. Gear, mods, traits, and mutators do not affect it so it's a perfect storm of pain if those are lacking but your levels and upgrades are high.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Does the engineer’s turret count as a summon? Does the cooldown reduction trait benefit overclock?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Valicious posted:

Does the engineer’s turret count as a summon? Does the cooldown reduction trait benefit overclock?

Yes to the former, and I assume the latter is also correct as it's a skill cooldown.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I really enjoy wandering around like a dumbass and exploring, but there's no way I would have found even half the poo poo without dudes joining my game and following them around

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm suddenly crashing quite a lot. Anyone know if there's a certain setting that might cause this? I've got a pretty solid system so I don't think it's a case of low specs.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Dang, I abused the hell out of this on lower difficulties

Fixed an issue where Nebula’s Corrosive DOT would not end.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Crossplay is here finally.

My brother was waiting for that to get it for his PS5 so I rolled a new character.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I've narrowed my problems down to using Soulbinder on certain enemies. Causes an instant crash. I've tried turning graphics settings all the way down, capping framerates, verifying and reinstalling and nothing helps. While I could just not use Soulbinder, my worry is that it's related to certain graphical effects or something, and I've just gotten started so it sucks to have the persistent feeling that any mod I pick up might crash the game. Frustrating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.

Shuka posted:

I really enjoy wandering around like a dumbass and exploring, but there's no way I would have found even half the poo poo without dudes joining my game and following them around

lol same

I’ve seen all kinds of posts on Reddit about “help me get X” that are apparently like super specific things that need to be done, and to me it’s just some unused ring or heart in my inventory because I joined a quick match.