Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Got tickets to a few of the games, watching England v Denmark and a couple of the R16 matches which I’m super looking forward to. Everyone down here is pretty pumped for the World Cup, with actual fans attending rather than paid tifos like in Qatar.

Believing and hoping that Australia can go the whole way, everyone is super behind them and expectations are pretty high. We’re not the best team in the tournament, but over the last year or so we’ve found ways to win against better teams which is promising.

Blows my mind that they’re expecting 80,000 spectators for the Aus v Ireland game this week, it’s come a long way from the friends and family type crowd that used to attend women’s football!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Sam Kerr is out for the first two matches, loving hell :stare:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Stone cold pen

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Thassa bad pen

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

This last 20 minutes has been great stuff

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

loving hell that’s an ankle breaker

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Johnny Baby feels like (watching) a woman today

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Wow that’s a soft pen

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Goal from open play!

edit; great double save though

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Spain looking super dangerous here

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Costa RIPa

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Japan really pinging it around here

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

gently caress that’s rough, getting subbed on to face a 97th min pen, saving it, and having to face it again

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

That looks like an ACL injury :(

And yeah that’s gotta be a pen

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Can’t remember the last time I saw a retake for encroachment and now it’s been twice in an hour lol

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah have been impressed with Haiti, they’ve looked dangerous going forward a bunch of times now

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Lol wtf just happened

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

lol, apparently that was the first game of the tournament to not feature a penalty

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

skasion posted:

Yeah this has been a rough start. So far the only games I’ve seen have been either 2 bad teams or 1 bad team/attack vs defense. I missed England Haiti but it sounds like it was competitive at least.

I missed the first day, but yeah otherwise England v Haiti was probably the best quality competitive game I've seen so far I think.

Also feels like there's been a lot of teams attempting Guardiola-style cutbacks across the box, while defences are just packing that space and making it super hard to score.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Thank gently caress that wasn't given, would've been unbelievably harsh

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

well now!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

That’s a heartbreaker

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah that’s 100% a goal, she didn’t touch the ball and didn’t stop the keeper from attempting a save

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Brazil looking pretty good so far, feels v ominous for Panama

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

yeah Brazil have been phenomenal, their press is outstanding and the technical interplay in tight spaces has been excellent (unlike a lot of teams so far that struggle when the ball is under pressure). They could be up by 3-4 at this point.

Feel sorry for Panama, but they're way outclassed here - have they even had a touch in the final third?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Marta time

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

a real chump posted:

Japan will have wanted to not kick each other and instead score a goal there.

Would’ve been a fantastic last-ditch block if they weren’t on the same team

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Phwoar thassa nice goal

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Wow that’s a banger

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Woof, nice goal!

Apparently the first time the US has been behind in a World Cup match since 2011 :stare:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

It’s a time-honoured Australian tradition to claim anything successful from NZ as being Australian, so

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Sick header

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Great through ball and finish, shame it won’t count

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Insane that two different players picked up concussions from separate incidents in the same training session

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Nigerians looking as nervous as I’m feeling

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

gently caress

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

TDepressionEarl posted:

quiet as gently caress when its not english speakers winning all im saying

Every time I picked up my phone Nigeria scored so you can be drat sure I wasn’t posting

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Happy for the Nigerians but man, some of our attacking play was shocking

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Robo Captain posted:

If only Australia had a player that was really good at scoring goals

Looking forward to them rushing Kerr back for the Canada game and her limping off after 25 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Didn't one of her teammates accidentally let slip that Kerr tore her calf?

Yep, in a presser the other day, though they later clarified that she “misspoke”

But it was always odd that she was out for the first two games, and apparently back for the third game even though there’s only a few days between them. Can only assume they were hoping the third match would be a dead rubber and they had a few extra days without tough questions.

But yeah the way it’s going she probably won’t play at all. Or they’ll rush her back for the Canada game and she’ll be a complete passenger