Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Grimson posted:

I’m very much on the side of doubting we will even get to a game that can end in penalties, based on our performance in the last uhhh… ten championships.

2011 World Cup: Group stage.
2012 Olympics: Didn’t qualify.
2013 Euro: Runners up, but this is the odd one out. We lost 1-0 to Germany after missing two penalties.
2015 World Cup: R16. Lost to England, 1-2.
2016 Euro: Group stage.
2016 Olympics: Didn’t qualify.
2017 Euro: Group stage. We didn’t score a single goal.
2019 World Cup: Quarter-finals. Lost to England, 0-3.
2020 Olympics: Didn’t qualify.
2022 Euro: Group stage. Suffered our worst loss ever, to England, 0-7.

it's weird, too, there are extremely solid players in almost all positions and several stars who could walk into just about any team in the world

norway's bizarre goal keeper curse is in effect on the women's side as well as the men's, but it's not *that* grave. there must just be something peculiar about the institution i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Grimson posted:

Word has it that both Caroline Graham Hansen and Ingrid Syrstad Engen have been sidelined for tomorrows match against Switzerland. Syrstad Engen makes a little sense considering her awful numbers after the New Zealand game where she had a passer rating of 55% on her 48 passes.

Minutes, number of passes, successful passes, passes on the last third of the pitch, successful passes on the last third, wrong passes on own half, wrong passes on opposition half.

But it's not like the other midfielders had anything close to a decent game though, with around the same numbers for Maanum and Reiten. CGH did struggle in the previous game and honestly I've blanked it from my mind already, but I'd say its more because of the midfield being non-existent than it is any lack of effort from her side.

My conspiratorial side says she's struggling mentally in the team after she stuck by the previous coach after the loss to Poland before the Euros, and the England game during. She's a very loyal player and she gets a lot of media attention and bears the brunt of the criticism for defending coaches/players, and she took a few months off after the Euros which was played off as her needing a break after a tough season, but I think it had more to do with her mental state than physical. And she asked to be isolated after the New Zealand game saying she had a sore throat and took a few days off practicing by herself instead of with the team.

yeah the midfield was just a complete shambles and disorganised, which left the defense constantly out of position and the attacking players unable to do much of anything except try and chase balls around. i actually thought most of the defenders had an ok game, they just had too much to do and nowhere to put the ball when they were trying to develop the game. CGH was one of a very few norwegian players who acquitted herself tolerably and looked a bit dangerous on the ball, so i expect that there's some drama or illness involved if she's gone from the starting lineup

the new zealand game was enormously feel-bad, though, and could very possibly have caused some seriously bad vibes in the dressing room

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 24, 2023