Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

habeasdorkus posted:

Norway, on the other hand, has two of the best players in the world in Ada Hegerberger and Caroline Graham Hansen, and are dark horse contenders who should really be aiming for at least the semifinals.

We're a bit less optimistic over here and the current expectation is getting out of the group and then getting booted in the round of 16. We may have four of the best attacking players in Ada, Caroline, Guro and Frida, but have no defense what so ever to speak of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

This is the better read on jersey rankings.
https://twitter.com/applessquabble/status/1674117818520948743?s=20

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

The assistant coach for the Norwegian team handed out homework for each national team player at the end of last year and asked them to practice taking penalties. Between the first and second national team camps they were asked to practice taking three penalties five times a week, and then after the second camp they were asked to refine them a bit and do one penalty three times a week. They've also hired one of the best penalty researchers in the world, Geir Jordet, to help with the mental aspect and they held a penalty shootout contest against Portugal in the last friendly before the game on Thursday and won 4-2.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Sounds like a recipe for a hilarious collapse when it actually matters. Very English.

Terminally Bored posted:

Norway can't do worse than last year. Grimson can attest.

I’m very much on the side of doubting we will even get to a game that can end in penalties, based on our performance in the last uhhh… ten championships.

2011 World Cup: Group stage.
2012 Olympics: Didn’t qualify.
2013 Euro: Runners up, but this is the odd one out. We lost 1-0 to Germany after missing two penalties.
2015 World Cup: R16. Lost to England, 1-2.
2016 Euro: Group stage.
2016 Olympics: Didn’t qualify.
2017 Euro: Group stage. We didn’t score a single goal.
2019 World Cup: Quarter-finals. Lost to England, 0-3.
2020 Olympics: Didn’t qualify.
2022 Euro: Group stage. Suffered our worst loss ever, to England, 0-7.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 19, 2023

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/_shireenahmed_/status/1681817568783503360?s=20

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I'm 50/50 on the warmup cardigans or whatever the grey warmup jersey is.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Please don't look at our defense. It will crumble if you do.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

This is nervy and I don't like it.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Hegerberg washed.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

whypick1 posted:

One of these teams should try shooting the ball *at* the goal.

It's called football, not goalball.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

It's been... a half.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Gonna need to see Sara Hørte be brought on soon.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

All I've ever known is disappointment.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

We're gonna lose the group.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

New Zealand is the 3rd best team in the group by my accounts, well 2nd best now, and a team we had to beat cause Switzerland is going to prove more challenging and I have no confidence in this team.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

but she didnt explain anything

she just said after var review its a penalty, which anyone could deduce from the ref going totthe monitor and then pointing to the penalty spot

It's FIFA, nothing they do makes sense.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

The players started arguing with each other at the 60 minute mark, this is France levels of ineptitude and lack of team cohesion.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

"Feels like poo poo", is the comment from Riise.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

TDepressionEarl posted:

To be fair to Russia and Qatar, I will also suggest New Zealand and Australia's opening goals are bought and that this tournament is rigged bullshit.

But at least the players will get paid for showing up which is a nice change how is this the first year that that is the case.

If memory serves then like two years ago teams playing in the UWCL had to fundraise for money to pay their support staff coming with them to matches since UEFA only covered players and the immediate coaching staff.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Extremely looking forward to general shithousery from McCabe

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

McCabe v. Raso. Only one will leave alive.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Just let us in on the VAR chatter. Jesus christ.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

slorb posted:

McCabe is such a weapon, she reminds me of Kerr in the way she's much stronger than her size would suggest.

https://twitter.com/Copa90/status/1681983108252327936?s=20

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

How has Ada Hergerberg been playing? Is the Norwegian media setting her up as a scapegoat if they get dumped out at the group stage?

Middle of the tree. And no, the blame is being put on the coach and team as a whole at the moment.

quote:

No surprises in the team selection, but the team looks completely paralyzed and terrified. How has Riise's entrance to the match been? Have there been too many messages, so that they know how to play freely? New Zealand has no issues playing through the team. Many players perform below par. Big pressure and opening game, yes, but Riise should get a lot more out of this team.

quote:

Will the Norwegian team now fall too far behind against nations they are usually supposed to control the games against? And by extension: Does Hege Riise's system make it more difficult in the national team for the offensive stars?

Because where are they? Where is Graham Hansen? Hegerberg? Reiten? There's no telling how enamored international experts are with these three. Both The Guardian and The Athletic refer to Norway's offensive power as one of the very, very best in the tournament, but now that force needs to appear soon.

The trio dominates in leagues in major nations, but was barely seen in the World Cup opener. They surely feel a little of the same as Martin Ødegaard and Erling Braut Haaland do. Life on the national team is something completely different from life on the club team.

There are no top players no matter where they turn, there are not the same passes, the same runs, the same help behind them. Here, they have to do the work themselves, and that transition is unlikely to be easy.

quote:

- Look at the body language of the Norwegian players, that they constantly expect someone else to cover that space. If everyone does that, no one ends up picking up those players, and that's what's happening now. No one takes responsibility in decisive situations [...]

Grimson fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 20, 2023

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Only started watching about 20 minutes ago, but this has been a fun game.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Ouch.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Love me some last minute box chaos.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

This is basically Switzerland v. Team United Nations.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Huh.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Annoyingly large break between this game and the next one, imo.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

whypick1 posted:

lol @ Morgan being ruled onside on the 2nd goal by literal fingertips.

It was the heel, no?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Japan would have liked to have scored there.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I don't think the people on the drums got the memo that audience instruments were banned this tournament.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Yeah, that looked very off on the first replay. I wonder if Zambia can keep a clean sheet until the break, cause Japan is looking very good so far.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Grimson posted:

Japan would have liked to have scored there.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

EASY

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I'm cursed with Fox as the only stream I have available that reliably works and the commentary is so awful. Like across the board between all their commentary teams it's just bad. They got a main commentator doing monologues while running through a checklist of things to mention like the history of a certain player, the statistics of the teams playing, a little talk about the next matchup etc. And its all delivered in a very monotone but "This Is Actually The Most Important Information I Will Ever Say" style of newscaster voice. While the expert commentator has more inflection and is allowed to actually talk about what is currently happening, but the interplay between the two is nonexistent. It's like they're not allowed to have a dialogue or chemistry.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

whypick1 posted:

I'm surprised you didn't mention how incredibly pops it is that neither of them are even on the same continent as the game being played.

That doesn't really surprise me anymore, I'm used to broadcasters only sending a pitchside journalist down for the group stage and have their onsite commentators only follow them down for the playoffs.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Tanakan't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Well...