Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Rubber soul is very good and the word is an amazing song. Ringo goes off on that number, it's some of his best work by far. He really was a fantastic drummer. I kinda hate the Ringo sucks meme because not only was he extremely influential but he was a very talented drummer. He could play fiercely and yet very precisely, but he could also stand to play very simple rhythms, something very good drummers can sometimes have a hard time doing. He didn't have to rip up every song with intense patterns and fills.

His drum set up became the standard and he's a major reason people use matched grip.

And im not even a drummer.

Honestly all their albums were very good for different reasons.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Szyznyk posted:

Time to post something condescending referencing Neil Peart.

I know very little about rush, I know people like them a lot but I wasnt knocking any other drummers. The Beatles were around like 15 years before rush, so like an entire generation of drummers were influenced by Ringo Starr before rush came around. So I think the point still stands.

There weren't too terribly many standout rock drummers in the early sixties. Ringo Starr and Charlie watts, and I guess like mick avory were kinda it except for jazz drummers which played very differently imo. Late 60s there was a glut of good drummers though.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 24, 2023

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

like don't get me wrong, Led Zeppelin's version of You Need Love absolutely goes way harder and is a marked evolution, but the Muddy Waters's recorded version was very restrained compared to how it was (sometimes) played live.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but zep were apeing the small faces, they just came up with an ostinato riff but otherwise copied the small faces 1:1. They were notorious rip off artists like that. Robert plant was specifically hired because of how much he sounded like Steve Marriott, who turned down pages offer to sing for the new yardbirds aka Led Zeppelin, since he had just founded the amazing Humble Pie.

Listen to the whole song. The small faces slaps way harder than zeppelin in my opinion. It's mod, whereas zeppelins was hard rock, but for my money the small faces is harder than zeppelins which just sounds really polished to my ear (page, Bonham and Jones were all well established session musicians and producers) whereas small faces were scrappy mods who came up playing in bars and rave ups.

Page used to wear suits and had a dumb haircut and played on most British skiffle records of the early 1960s. He was super establishment by 1968.

Steve Marriott, on the other hand, was the real deal.

https://youtu.be/CRXbi3pq7Y4

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 24, 2023